GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone v Dublin

+18
Royal_Girl2k9
Hanahoe
redhandman
bald eagle
patrique
Real Kerry Fan
samin12
mugsys_barber
Grenvile
The Puke
mullins
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
hipster 2
bocerty
22 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Tyrone v Dublin  - Page 10 Empty Re: Tyrone v Dublin

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:48 pm

OMAR wrote:It was a return of the favour - Philly Jordan had kindly helped one of the Dublin lads over the sideline in the first half.
(21 yard line Hogan stand side)

Alan B as I recall .... just got up and got on with it ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote: There seemed to be a great sense of respect amongst both sets of players at the final whistle and it was also very encouraging to see opponents helping each other out when the cramp set in, Bryan Cullen even extended a helping hand to Stephen O'Neill after he had gone to ground at one stage.

Yeah I noticed that too. The bitterness of earlier battles is gone - probably since Omagh. Definitely a respect there - probably from playing each other so much over the years. Think I saw one of our lads helping Philly Jordan when down with cramp too?

twas the other way about Mr Cluxton Jordan was helping the Dublin player!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:54 pm

bocerty wrote:twas the other way about Mr Cluxton Jordan was helping the Dublin player!!!!!

It was too now that I think about it - cos I said to the brother he'd have been standing on him a few years ago ... Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:twas the other way about Mr Cluxton Jordan was helping the Dublin player!!!!!

It was too now that I think about it - cos I said to the brother he'd have been standing on him a few years ago ... Razz

thats what i was thinking too JC - how times have changed and for the better too.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:02 pm

bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote: There seemed to be a great sense of respect amongst both sets of players at the final whistle and it was also very encouraging to see opponents helping each other out when the cramp set in, Bryan Cullen even extended a helping hand to Stephen O'Neill after he had gone to ground at one stage.

Yeah I noticed that too. The bitterness of earlier battles is gone - probably since Omagh. Definitely a respect there - probably from playing each other so much over the years. Think I saw one of our lads helping Philly Jordan when down with cramp too?

twas the other way about Mr Cluxton Jordan was helping the Dublin player!!!!!

Paul Flynn
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:14 pm

I have been in hospital for three weeks but managed to see this on the bedside TV.

The Dubs looked great, great foot passing, great long range scoring. But the game also illustrated Tyrone's fall as O'Neill and McMahon were being roasted and the side line had nowhere to look.

Donegal could yet surprise......
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I suppose congratulations are in order to Dublin on their very impressive victory on Saturday night, We were second best in almost all sectors of the field and whilst it was difficult to see some of our great players on the receiving end of a hiding it has to be said that this was coming and almost an inevitable outcome. Perhaps we were lulled into a false sense anticipation that a repeat of our 2008 victory would propell us to a fourth All Ireland title and a fitting final swan-song for this wonderful group of players but realistically if truth be told we've been on the slide since 2007 and had a fair bit of luck on our 2008 journey.

Since 2008 other teams have raised the bar again, the professionalism adopted by Dublin in recent times will be difficult for others to replicate. I do feel they can push on and deliver their first Sam since '95 and have won a huge psychological victory by thumping Tyrone, but a word of warning to my Dublin friends would be that Donegal will not afford them anywhere near the same amount of room that the likes of Connolly was afforded on Saturday evening but I still reckon that their class will shine through and Dublin will make it to the final after one almighty battle.

On a side note I met former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and his dozen or so entourage in the vacinity Fegans after the game and heard him say "That bleeding referee gave us absolutely nuthin in the second half, He was bra-utal!!...."
I can honestly say I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with him but sure what else would ye expect from a Cavan man Very Happy

mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I HAD THIS TYPED UP YESTERDAY AND LOST IT HERE GOES....

Dublin played fantastically well on saturday night and no one can begrudge them their victory , it was well thought out and well executed. i was proud of my team on saturday night too because they still have the abiltity to perform but the agility is starting to go, lesser men would have packed it in and been hammered back to the toll bridge.

i feel that the tactical battle was key and in my view here is where the game was won and lost

1- dublin played an extra defender, in 2008 wexford tried this mickey went man to man it worked ricey who was picking up the extra defender scored the first two points , on saturday tyrone needed a horse devlin who would stand at the top of the D and sweep up all loose passes, the dublin ball in was below head height in front of the man due to the bad weather marking from the front or too tight was out of the question as goal chances would have been handed out.
2- sean cavanagh kicked two monster frees from under the hogan yet cluxtons kickout was with seans man before he was back into position, cluxton has done this all year a defender pushes up and shoots sub twenty seconds later his man has the ball and is rampaging forward, meanwhile at the other end big packie cant hit medium lenght kickouts well ( ones over 20 metres and under 50 metres) he was also taking up to a minute allowing dublin to regroup. cluxto nis incredbily accurate with his passes and there arent too many keepers could do this . his 4 point turnaround in the second half was the final twist of the knife, he made a decent save took a bad knock and got up dusted himself off and went up and put over a free.
3- dublin played to the wings brilliantly tyrone tried to go up the middle taking some big hits on the way tiring the players out, dublin vould and did score with less than for passes tyrone needed 6-7-8 passes to get a score, for the last 4 years we have played a patient game wit hte ball preferring to hold the possession rather than go direct , teams now just swamp back filliing up spaces making getting scores incredilby hard.
4- tactical fouling - dublin stopped an attack 65-90 yards from goal tyrone tried to defend their way out of trouble , some times pulling the man down far out is the best option, it was then lfet for the full backs to pull down the man to stop a goal!
5- break ball tyrone won very little until dooher came on - penrose looks like the man to do that job but was either in the full forward line or playing between the full back and half back line.

people have mentioned in the papers and other forums about tyrones lack of sucess at youth level since 2000 we have won the minor all ireland in 2001 2004 2008 and 2010 with about 8 of the 01 team having played for the county in some shape or form about 4-5 of the 04 panel have been and gone and the 08 bunch are working their way in currently, they have had an exceptional bunch of men to displace to get a jersey and becasue not too many have made the breakthrough the youth system is seen as failing?

with regards retirements on the post mortem on the way home family members said their could be up on 10, i reckon that dooher will now bow out, hub looked like he had legs of lead on saturday and the fact that with our defence being taken apart and yet he didnt get a run out and was rumored to have left training last week in disgust at not starting and also being 33 coming 34 i would say ricey has played his last too,

brian mcguigan can still do a job ( i was surprised to see him coming off) i feel gormley jordan and stephen oneill were among the best performers on saturday night. add in sean c penrose sean red peter harte and sparky donnelly i dont see reason to bee too despondent just yet.

we may not be in th top 3-4 teams for a few years but we would still be in the nest 3-4 teams beneath that. next yr in the league i feel the old stagers should be played 2-3 at a time with the fringe / younger members getting more game time to see what they can really do.

my heart went out to mickey and his son i saw them embracing at the end and that image would have melted stone after the horrible year they have put in. MH is still the best man to take tyrone onwards and i am glad to hear he has said he will be about next yr and jordan has said no players will make rash descions just yet.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Tyrone have been winning at senior and minor playing a system. Mickey has been loathe to change that system. The minors have had better teams than Mayo in the lst few years but Mayo had the better individuals so easier to step up to senior.

From 2006 to present Tyrone have lost to about 8 teams in the championship, like Laois, Mayo, Derry, Donegal and Meath. Cork have lost to Kerry, and now Mayo in the same period, and Kerry have lost to Cork, Tyrone and Down.

So Tyrone have been slipping, it was there for all to see. In recent seasons cruising through Ulster has not helped, much as cruising through Leinster did not help the Dubs for many years.

Need to start again, and leave us with the memories.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:50 am

A few days later and looking at this clinically - from a Tyrone point of view - I would make a few points.

I NEVER saw a Tyrone team so unconditioned for a C'ship game.

I NEVER saw a Tyrone team so tactically bereft.

I NEVER saw a Tyrone team so far off the pace of a game.

The emotional wringer that was once more visited on Tyrone this year played a part IMO. Mentally this team were not at the races when it counted - nor was their management. I am not being cruel here at all. That was not Tyrone as we know them on Saturday night. All members of team and management were giving 100% - as usual - but it was just not right at all. Minds and bodies - line and on the field - were giving their all - but the fine tuning was just distracted. They wanted so much to do it that it could never happen.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 am

The Puke wrote:[

Will you tell Jack O'Coonor that if ye do get to an A/I final v Dublin if ye can keep Bernard & Alan Brogan along with Diarmuid Connolly quiee ye will be more than half way towards winning

No prob Puke. Brogans,Kerry Ma, Connolly, Kerry Da. A small chat should sort it. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:49 pm

patrique wrote:Tyrone have been winning at senior and minor playing a system. Mickey has been loathe to change that system. The minors have had better teams than Mayo in the lst few years but Mayo had the better individuals so easier to step up to senior.

sorry P but i dont buy into the notion that other counties were producing better footballers whilst Tyrone were producing better teams.

In the example you gave Mayo, name me 5 really good underage footballers they have produced in the last 5 years that are way better than anything Tyrone produced. I can think of Aidan O' Shea as one really good footballer but i think Tyrone had some footballers who were just as good such as Ronan McNabb and Gavin Teague. Kyle Coney would be mentioned too as a wonderfully talented footballer so i cant agree with that as a valid argument.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah you only have to consider names like Kyle Coney, Peter Harte, Ronan O'Neill, Conan Grugan, Ronan McNabb, Gavin Teague, McNeice and a whole host of other classy players that Tyrone have produced lately to see that their underage system is producing both good teams and excellent individual players.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10