GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SFC 2015

+5
bocerty
champers
Gaa_lover
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
9 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

SFC 2015 - Page 5 Empty Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Mayo will find it extremely hard to come back again next year. It's their 5th consecutive season in a semi final with virtually the same bunch of players, yet the big one has escaped them again. The team might not be that old in terms of age, but they have a lot of miles on the clock, and huge mental scars.

Mayo fans may feel that a tactical change here or a bit of luck there could see them progress further next season, but history has shown that sides only get so may chances to make a breakthrough before falling away, and Mayo have already had a lot of chances over these 5 long seasons. Personally, I feel that their AI window with this group of players has probably closed.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Munster v Leinster in All Ireland semi final next year meaning Mayo if they reach the last four they will likely avoid Kerry,Dublin. For all their huffing and puffing these last five years 1996 remains the one and only All Ireland Mayo should have won.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:Munster v Leinster in All Ireland semi final next year meaning Mayo if they reach the last four they will likely avoid Kerry,Dublin.

I don't tend to look at things that way, as it's so hard to predict who might come through a given side of the draw 12 months from now.

I just see logic indicating that they are due to regress.  An AI win can prolong the lifespan of a side, giving them belief and encouragement to come back again, and maybe even give them a bit of an aura when it comes facing/beating weaker sides.  But Mayo have been in and around the top table now for 5 long years without the success they most wanted.  It's basically the same team that played in the 2011 semi and, when you consider the enormous commitment required nowadays, getting them going for a 6th crack at it sounds like a bridge too far for me.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:04 am

OK Tc call it i just don't see how kerry can cope with the dublin pace similar to 2011,but so many so called pundits are calling the green/gold as champions.Dublin have no scoring forwards yet connolly/brogan/rock have scored 12.30 so far not sure what the other forwards have chipped in with but i would guess +30 .still think this one of the worst kerry teams of all time even though i think fitzmaurice is some man to bring them back to a final

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:12 pm

champers wrote:OK Tc call it i just don't see how kerry can cope with the dublin pace similar to 2011,but so many so called pundits are calling the green/gold as champions.Dublin have no scoring forwards yet connolly/brogan/rock have scored 12.30 so far not sure what the other forwards have chipped in with but i would guess +30 .still think this one of the worst kerry teams of all time even though i think fitzmaurice is some man to bring them back to a final

I'm going to the match, and am looking forward to it. I think it should be open and exciting, and I'd hope for a quick Dublin start, forcing Kerry to come out and play.

Dublin will have to improve. Mayo were not as good this year as in previous years, yet Dublin took a long, long time to put them away over the 2 games. Cian O'Sullivan's fitness is crucially important, as I don't see John Small being mobile enough to fill that role adequately. With hamstrings, they either hold or they don't so, if he plays, he'll be 100% for as long as the muscle holds, and that could be 70 minutes.

Kerry will also need to improve. Tyrone tore them open half a dozen times, while the Kingdom didn't create a solitary goal chance in their semi. Cooper is a long way removed from what he was pre-ACL, while O'Donoghue hasn't looked right in over 12 months. They'll both need to come on quite a bit if Kerry are to match Dublin for scores. I'd have more optimism in O'Donoghue improving than Cooper - the game looks a bit fast for him right now.

Kerry are good at taking away the main threat of the opposition. Sean Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly and Peter Harte were all very quiet, and they'll try to do the same with Brogan, Connolly and Jack McCaffrey. I'd expect Jonny Lyne to attach himself to Connolly, and O'Mahony on Bernard.

Sorry Champers, I'm typing this searching for an answer and, to be honest, at this stage I'm not sure who'll win. Dublin haven't looked as good as they did in 2014, while Kerry have big question marks in the FB and FF lines. Fitzmaurice can probably tighten up his defence but, if Cooper and Donoghue really aren't at it, then Kerry will struggle to win. Maybe it will all come down to Cian O'Sullivan's fitness after all!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:20 am

champers wrote:OK Tc call it i just don't see how kerry can cope with the dublin pace similar to 2011,but so many so called pundits are calling the green/gold as champions.Dublin have no scoring forwards yet connolly/brogan/rock have scored 12.30 so far not sure what the other forwards have chipped in with but i would guess +30 .still think this one of the worst kerry teams of all time even though i think fitzmaurice is some man to bring them back to a final

Dublin won by one point in 2011 it was a game Kerry could easily have won. Not sure what you are reading our listening too as far as i have seen the pundits have called it down the middle as have the bookies 50/50. Who said Dublin have no scoring forwards?

For the record even though he's in his 30s now B Brogan remains Dublin best scorer from play, Connolly is a type of forward that needs loads of room to produce a big score is he likely to get that against Kerry? most of  Rock scores thus far have come from frees.

Kerry beating Tipp,Cork,Kildare,Tyrone and Dublin beating Longford,Kildare,Westmeath,Fermanagh,Mayo is what they were expected to do and on Sunday without doubt the two best teams are in the final it will likely be fine margins like the last final between the two and if Kerry retain their title the low rating you have of them may have to change.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:22 am

Good luck today, Champers. AI final day is always a great occasion, so enjoy. I'll be in the lower Cusack, nominally as a neutral, but hoping that the Dubs put on a show consistent with their form over the last 2 years, and prove themselves to be one of the great sides of recent times. Dublin to edge it!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Dublin deserving winners but what a shocking watch that game was I can't recall a worst senior final than that. Experts tell us football is at it highest ever standard but the overall quality is average to poor.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:45 am

"I'm going to the match, and am looking forward to it. I think it should be open and exciting, and I'd hope for a quick Dublin start, forcing Kerry to come out and play. "

TC how wrong were you - weather didnt help but it was a shocking game. I had Fitzmaurice down as a shrewd tactician and a top manager but after today he was left looking very average.

Outplayed all over the field and the Gooch left playing as a defender - time to have a long hard look at yourself Eamon
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:09 pm

bocerty wrote:
Outplayed all over the field and the Gooch left playing as a defender - time to have a long hard look at yourself Eamon

Before throw in, I said to the Kerryman beside me that Fitzmaurice was taking a risk in starting Cooper, as he has looked a shadow of himself all summer. Although initially incredulous, by half-time he was agreeing with me, and by the end we were both astounded that Gooch had survived the entire match without being called ashore. The bringing on of Galvin was just as perplexing, as the man was washed up when he retired 2 years ago.

Fitzmaurice indeed got a lot wrong, but his players also failed to deliver. Moran, Geaney, Crowley, Maher, O'Donoghue, Buckley... the list of non-performers for Kerry was endless, and a lot of soul searching will be required this winter. And, for all the talk about the strength of their bench, they had damned little to bring on when they really needed it. Thir minors looked good, though, and back-to-back titles should ensure that the Kingdom's larder is soon adequately replenished.

Dublin were comfortably the better side, and the 3 point margin isn't reflective of their superiority. Conditions were dreadful, and a more mobile and agile Dublin side coped much better with them. It was hard to pick out stars on such a day, and most of Dublin's top men were in defence. Still, Connolly always looked classy on the ball, and more in control than just about anyone else on the field.

I was pleased that Dublin won. They have been the best side in Ireland for the last 24 months, yet defeat yesterday would have seen them fail to win an AI in that period. They now have 3 in 5 years, and can start to enter the conversation about some of the great sides we've seen.

Dublin must now start the search now for a new goalkeeper, and it will basically be only their 4th stopper in 40 years. Cluxton was as good as any we've seen, but he was nervous against Fermanagh, awful in the first Mayo match and equally poor yesterday. I suspect that he's the sort of man who'll step away, knowing that his powers have faded.

Finally, I thought that Fenton's award of MOTM was more to do with avoiding potential embarrassment by selecting a more worthy but soon to be cited Philly McMahon. This was obvious when they showed 4 clips of the midfielder's 'highlights', which consisted of a lovely point, 2 short fist passes and a missed tackle. Still, he's a good prospect, especially now that he's curbed his impetuous runs up the park! (I'll get my coat!! Embarassed ... )
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Fitzmaurice indeed got a lot wrong, but his players also failed to deliver. Moran, Geaney, Crowley, Maher, O'Donoghue, Buckley... the list of non-performers for Kerry was endless

if a manager can get the best out of these Kerry men in the biggest day of the year against one of their fiercest rivals then it doesnt say much for him - that said if the players couldn't do likewise themselves then it says more about them too.

I guarantee one thing Tyrone would have given them a better game yesterday !!!

Funnily enough the "bad smell" that had been following McMahon about all year got little air time during the Sunday Game and yet had it been Tyrone they would have wasted half the show talking about it.  Tomas O' Se said tonight wasnt the night to be talking about such things - well sorry for pointing out the obvious Tomas but there was no better time to talk about it - no point talking about in 6 months time when all has been forgotten..  McMahon himself acting the billy big balls said what happens on the field stays on the field - i wonder would he have been so keen to say that had he lost the final and it was a Kerry man gouging his eye !!!!!  somehow i doubt it.  Whelan being his usual self swept it conveniently under the carpet as did that spoofer O'Rourke.

I think your right about Cluxton TC, he has been woeful over the last three games and all this bollox about his kickouts has been put to bed with the realisation that if you reduce the options he has then he isnt really much better than any of the other so called top keepers.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 pm

As it was in the beginning CHAMPIONS 2016 Very Happy

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin