GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone v Dublin

+18
Royal_Girl2k9
Hanahoe
redhandman
bald eagle
patrique
Real Kerry Fan
samin12
mugsys_barber
Grenvile
The Puke
mullins
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
hipster 2
bocerty
22 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Tyrone v Dublin  - Page 9 Empty Re: Tyrone v Dublin

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
ThomasClarke wrote:For the first time in a long, long time, Dublin have the best team in the country, and I do think that the all-ireland is their's to lose.

I would not go that far.

I would, and with some confidence. I acknowledge that Tyrone's aging legs perhaps flattered them a bit, but Kerry's are just as aging, even moreso in defence. Donegal may be present the biggest threat, as they will be very tight defensively and physically competitive.

As stated previously, Tyrone were the worst prepared side to take on Dublin since Laois. And at least in Laois's case, they got a lot of players back - just lacked a bit of convinction in what they were doing.

I agree - Donegal will present a different test. Though as I read elsewhere Dublin are on a mission - Donegal are on an adventure and that might ultimately be the difference. Still though, to suggest that Dublin will have to underperform not to win the All-Ireland underestimates the strength of Donegal and Kerry/Mayo.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am

The key to keeping Kerry quiet is handling Gooch, Donaghy and Declan O'Sullivan. If a team can do that its more than half the battle.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:52 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:On another note not previously mentioned I thought McQuillan had a poor game with the whistle.

Wasn't at the game so obviously didn't have benefit of seeing anything not on camera
He wasn't mentioned much which in my view is normally a good thing.
There was no stoppage in the first ten minutes which again is a good thing.
The only talking point was the two Frees for "holding" - in my view both McMahon and MCGuigan
did to some extent try to hold the tacklers arm - Although the free against McMahon was harsh and The free given to MCguigan when his hold was more clear cut than McMahon - but thats with benefit the benfit of a replay.
Maybe one or two frees given where dublin had three men on one Tyrone player in possession with no obvious foul
Also when Gormley intercepted the Brogan pass to Connolly he did some sort of a Frog Jump as he went to ground which if anything could actually have been a penalty rather than a free out.

But thats with the benefit of seeing each of those 3/4 times - so all in all I thought he let the game flow.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:57 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Still though, to suggest that Dublin will have to underperform not to win the All-Ireland underestimates the strength of Donegal and Kerry/Mayo.

I guess that is exactly what I am saying. I honestly think that Dublin would have too much pace and power for Kerry, and would be too physically strong for Mayo. Donegal will match them physically, but if Dublin can get a 4-5 point lead, it is hard to see how Donegal could come back at them without leaving huge spaces at the back.

If Dublin don't freeze, and Connelly and the Brogans continue to score most of their chances, then yes, I believe that they have it in their own hands.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:02 pm

12 frees to Dublin - 36 to Tyrone. Dublin fans were, to put it mildly, displeased with McQuillan to the extent that when we got a free in the second half a couple of times there were lots of ironic cheers. In a tighter game he could have made a big difference.

Saw that Gormley jump alright - strange - he also took a couple of dives late on in the second half which were unimpressive and not in keeping with the general spirit of the game.

On another note I was a bit surprised we saw no Ricey - not least to come on and rattle a few Dublin forwards - especially Connolly.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:The key to keeping Kerry quiet is handling Gooch, Donaghy and Declan O'Sullivan. If a team can do that its more than half the battle.

for fcuk sake Rolling Eyes

sure if you nullifty the three key attacking players on any side you are going to be in with a shot of winning.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Still though, to suggest that Dublin will have to underperform not to win the All-Ireland underestimates the strength of Donegal and Kerry/Mayo.

I guess that is exactly what I am saying. I honestly think that Dublin would have too much pace and power for Kerry, and would be too physically strong for Mayo. Donegal will match them physically, but if Dublin can get a 4-5 point lead, it is hard to see how Donegal could come back at them without leaving huge spaces at the back.

If Dublin don't freeze, and Connelly and the Brogans continue to score most of their chances, then yes, I believe that they have it in their own hands.

That's a big if in my opinion. On the law of averages, Connolly is due a bad game next time. Felt himself and the two Brogans were outstanding on Saturday and they had some mighty efforts go over. But a lot of the kicks were in unpressurised situations - won't happen vs Donegal. Guess you just don't know how these lads might handle it if they miss a few, are dispossessed, or all of a sudden get a bit claustrophobic..........if they repeat the Tyrone heroics, then I would say Dublin win. But I'd be more of the belief that Saturday's performance will be hard to repeat.

Also appeared like a day when everything happened for Dublin - Bastick with a point from 50 yards, Cullen and Flynn with some fine efforts too. Next day you try the same things and it just dosen't happen..............regular occurence with the Meath team over the last few seasons anyway. And Dublin's sub-par performances in the Leinster championship indicate that they are prone to the odd bad game too.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:16 pm

The Puke wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:The key to keeping Kerry quiet is handling Gooch, Donaghy and Declan O'Sullivan. If a team can do that its more than half the battle.

sure if you nullifty the three key attacking players on any side you are going to be in with a shot of winning.

Not if you are Clare ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:17 pm

The Puke wrote:

Yes good tactics from Jayo. Razz
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Yes good tactics from Jayo. Razz

Nothing wins matches quite like cliches do
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Since when did you comment on bogball? Those who know a bit about the sport will know what I'm saying. Bad enough to have you spouting sh1te about hurling ... Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:48 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Since when did you comment on bogball? Those who know a bit about the sport will know what I'm saying. Bad enough to have you spouting sh1te about hurling ... Rolling Eyes

Sure a blind dog with a mallet up it's hole knows that if you keep them three quiet you have Kerry as good as beaten, same with any other side if you keep their three best attcking outlets quiet. Just the sheer blandness and unoriginality of the statement absoluetely baffled me. Now fair enough if you had outlined how exactly Mayo/Dublin/Donegal would go about this but instead you threw out a handy auld cliche
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm

I know exactly how we'll go about it ... but won't be posting it here!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I know exactly how we'll go about it ... but won't be posting it here!

Why not?
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:07 pm

RKF, OMAR, RMD - all likely to report back ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:RKF, OMAR, RMD - all likely to report back ....

Yes because I am sure the likes of Jack o'Coonor, Jim McGuinness and James Horan would drastically change their gameplans based on what some auld óinseach on the internet had to say. Get up the yard will you.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:24 pm

The Puke wrote:

Yes because I am sure the likes of Jack o'Coonor, Jim McGuinness and James Horan would drastically change their gameplans based on what some auld óinseach on the internet had to say. Get up the yard will you.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 pm

Jayo. Pssssst. You can tell me. I will keep it under wraps. Wink
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:36 pm

RKF - we are seriously concerned about our performance on Saturday night. We did not score after the 63rd minute ......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:RKF - we are seriously concerned about our performance on Saturday night. We did not score after the 63rd minute ......
Yes Jayo I agree. How Gilroy is still manager beggars belief! Twisted Evil
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:RKF - we are seriously concerned about our performance on Saturday night. We did not score after the 63rd minute ......
Yes Jayo I agree. How Gilroy is still manager beggars belief! Twisted Evil

RKf

Will you tell Jack O'Coonor that if ye do get to an A/I final v Dublin if ye can keep Bernard & Alan Brogan along with Diarmuid Connolly quiee ye will be more than half way towards winning
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Jim Mcguinness is refining what will become known as the Inverted Snooker Frame Formation
Triangular format

Five men on the 45
Four men level with the outside of the D
Three on the 21
two on the 14
And 1 Keeper
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 pm

this is painful to write but to hell with it. TC has summed up well from a Tyrone point of view so no point me repeating what he has already said.

Firstly hats off to the Dubs they were excellent from start to finish and we were totally outplayed in every sector of the field. I thought we were in the game right until McQuillan threw the ball in!!!!

Seriously though i though we started well but i was immediately concerned at how far of the man our defenders were marking, i would have thought we would have been marking a lot tighter. After that it all went down hill and we were exposed to something of a master class from Dublin. The 4 week lay off had no effect at all and they hit the ground running, must be the sight of a Tyrone jersey that motivated them!!!!

The movement of the ball of the forwards and the quality of ball going into them was top quality and its hard to understand why we didnt seek to rectify this quicker than we did, and why we waited until half time before making personnel changes. That said i think it would have made little difference.

It was good to see our boys battling until the final whistle i thought O'Neill in particular showed a lot of determination. There seemed to be a great sense of respect amongst both sets of players at the final whistle and it was also very encouraging to see opponents helping each other out when the cramp set in, Bryan Cullen even extended a helping hand to Stephen O'Neill after he had gone to ground at one stage.

Before the game the Dub fans i was chatting to were quite nervous and the pouring rain was only adding to the anxiety. But i have to say even after the game they were very sporting and not at all trying to rub salt in the wounds.

All in all it was bad night for Tyrone, we didnt seem to be ready for the match at all, so many things happened that were so unlike Tyrone teams of recent times. We were slack from kickouts and frees and afforded too much time to the Dubs. I honestly think the Dubs will kick on and win it this year, if they dont this will have been a hollow victory.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:35 pm

bocerty wrote: There seemed to be a great sense of respect amongst both sets of players at the final whistle and it was also very encouraging to see opponents helping each other out when the cramp set in, Bryan Cullen even extended a helping hand to Stephen O'Neill after he had gone to ground at one stage.

Yeah I noticed that too. The bitterness of earlier battles is gone - probably since Omagh. Definitely a respect there - probably from playing each other so much over the years. Think I saw one of our lads helping Philly Jordan when down with cramp too?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote: There seemed to be a great sense of respect amongst both sets of players at the final whistle and it was also very encouraging to see opponents helping each other out when the cramp set in, Bryan Cullen even extended a helping hand to Stephen O'Neill after he had gone to ground at one stage.

Yeah I noticed that too. The bitterness of earlier battles is gone - probably since Omagh. Definitely a respect there - probably from playing each other so much over the years. Think I saw one of our lads helping Philly Jordan when down with cramp too?

It was a return of the favour - Philly Jordan had kindly helped one of the Dublin lads over the sideline in the first half.
(21 yard line Hogan stand side)
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down