GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is wrong with Meath football?

+13
GAA-Fan
banjo
Boxtyeater
Real Kerry Fan
The Puke
redhandman
Royal_Girl2k9
patsymc
RMDrive
Loyal2TheRoyal
Parouisa
bluearmy1
Thomas Clarke
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

What is wrong with Meath football? - Page 4 Empty Re: What is wrong with Meath football?

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Tony McTague says the GAA's weaker counties may have to merge to achieve success.

Former Faithful County place-kicking ace McTague, who was yesterday inducted into Croke Park's Hall of Fame, is quoted in today's Irish Independent:

"The idea of weak counties ever appearing again on the big stage is over. I think that weaker counties should be given an option, even though some might not take it up, of amalgamating with a county that borders them, to have a realistic chance of taking on the big guys.

"All counties have their pride but they should have the option to amalgamate because it's unequal now, and it doesn't make sense.

"Laois and Offaly are, politically, the one constituency. I'm sure a lot of people might think, 'what's that fella talking about? Is he drunk?'

"Obviously, Offaly have been successful to some extent, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I know I'll be shot down by 99.9pc, however.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps this could be an option for them.

Considering the counties that they share a border with, Dublin, Kildare, Westmeath and Louth are unlikely to be interested, as they are all playing in a higher division than Meath. Cavan, also in Division 3, are a possiblity, but their back-to-back Ulster U21 titles may persuade them to go it alone for now. Additionally, Cavan beat Monaghan easily, a mere week after the Farney men had annihilated Meath.

That leaves Offaly, and the match here seems a good one. Both have had success in the not-too-distant past (a generation or 2 ago), and both always seem to have several 'highly rated prospects', at least by their own accounts. An amalgmated side may not make much of an impression on the Leinster Championship for the first couple of years but, given time, it would perhaps allow both of these former giants to once more compete with the likes of Wexford, Louth, Laois and Westmeath.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

What is wrong with Meath football? - Page 4 Empty Re: What is wrong with Meath football?

Post  Parouisa Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 pm

I read this in the nationals yesterday and it seems a good idea. Most neighbours would be very friendly so I would suggest Cork-Kerry, Roscommon-Leitrim, Cavan-Monaghan, Tyrone-Derry ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Meath man still in the cup

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 am

OMAR wrote:Meath man still in the cup

I love the fact that under the article, which ends with the line 'You’ve just got to pray for the sake of anyone who consumed liquids from the cup during the celebrations that there was Dettol handy to bring it back up to some sort of respectable hygiene standard.' there is an ad for STD clinics in Ireland .... Razz Razz Razz

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 am

A picture can truly be worth a thousand words.

What is wrong with Meath football? Where once the image of a Meath footballer was an O'Brien, Collier, Lyons or McDermott battering opponents mentally and physically, now the image is of small, skinny boys molesting trophies. Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 pm

affraid
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Apparently Bernard Flynn was being his usual sickly self on the radio this evening, skirting around the real issues with Meath. That was before Tommy Carr let him have it with both barrels.

Carr told Flynn that Meath are where they are due to neglecting football in the county for years, ignoring underage development and basically putting no work into promoting the game. He also called out the former greats who, rather than take any of the county sides, have preferred to pontificate in the media.

Flynn tried to say that Leinster needed Meath to be strong, but Carr assured him that this was rubbish, and that Kildare, Laois and others were putting in great efforts to be the main challengers to the Dubs in the years ahead.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:23 pm

L2TRs silence and omnipresence is deafening
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 pm

OMAR wrote:L2TRs silence and omnipresence is deafening

Yes indeed, Loyal is missed, not least on this topic.

I sent him a PM a few weeks ago, encouraging him to start posting again - he hasn't responded yet, but I hope he does. A fine poster, when he wasn't stumbling over the fine line dividing wind-up and nonsense.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
OMAR wrote:L2TRs silence and omnipresence is deafening

Yes indeed, Loyal is missed, not least on this topic.

I sent him a PM a few weeks ago, encouraging him to start posting again - he hasn't responded yet, but I hope he does. A fine poster, when he wasn't stumbling over the fine line dividing wind-up and nonsense.

Maybe Rorys dental problems may stimulate a return
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 pm

The thread query may be answered in the following article. A thoroughly honest critique by Fay of himself...

A worthwhile read:

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Very interesting article, and I'm not at all surprised by Fay's honesty - always had a lot of time for him.

What I never realised was that it was Fay himself who switched off Joyce in the 2001 final. It was always thought that Boylan made that call, and it was one of the worst tactical moves in any final. Fair play to Boylan for never contradicting that story, and to Fay for telling the story as it really happened.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Would that happen these days? Would a player make an on field call to switch and the manager just stand and watch? Find it strange to think that it happened back then even..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:08 am

Jonsmith wrote:Would that happen these days? Would a player make an on field call to switch and the manager just stand and watch? Find it strange to think that it happened back then even..

At club level certainly - plenty of lads will play where they want, and the manager can shout all he wants to the contrary.

At inter-county, in an AI final, I'd suspect that there are certain teams/players who would be allowed to do it, and others who wouldn't. I know that, for all his attention to detail, Mickey Harte is very laissez-faire with his players once they are on the field. Now, whether or not he'd let Conor Gormley and Joe McMahon make a call like that, I don't know, but I'd say there's a fair chance that he would. Might be a different case if it was 2 younger players.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:32 pm

I thought, having witnessed a collapse worthy of Limerick hurlers in 96', that this hoary old chestnut was worth resurrection....... Razz

Fair play to Westmeath they stuck at it, galvanised by the 1 thing Meath were bereft of: leadership on the pitch. Some of their lads, Martin and Heslin in particular, were immense. They dragged themselves back into it and the heart visibly evaporated out of the "men" in green & gold.

Lapsed poster L2TR would have been apoplectic at this crushing defeat, the manner of it and the meek surrender. A little dissent crept in and their cause wasn't helped by the black cards but by any account their defeat will haunt them for decades. The "victory" over Louth and their subsequent handling of matters has come back and bitten them badly.

Well done Westmeath.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:20 pm

On Saturday their so called highly fancied minor team were beaten by Longford. A weekend to forget for Meath football.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4