GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Ireland U21 Championship 2011

+15
Real Kerry Fan
Loyal2TheRoyal
JimWexford
OMAR
redhandman
mullins
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
bocerty
mugsys_barber
Thomas Clarke
scoopmine
RMDrive
up.the.oak.trees
Grenvile
19 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

All-Ireland U21 Championship 2011 - Page 7 Empty Re: All-Ireland U21 Championship 2011

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Well done to Cavan, good luck in the final!!

mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

All-Ireland U21 Championship 2011 - Page 7 Empty Re: All-Ireland U21 Championship 2011

Post  Grenvile Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 pm

The Final is a double header with the Hurling Final in Croke Park on 1st May. Good stuff. Very Happy

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Hard game to analysis, better team lost but Cavan took there chances when that got them and that sums up football if you don't score you don't deserve to win.
Midfield always a Wexford weakness was totally dominant but our lack imagination and sensible thinking cause us dearly. The amount of times the wrong option was taken was bordering silly.
Fair play to Terry Hyland and his fellow mentors their decision making and substitutions were also key factors in the Cavan victory.
Our mentors failed to bring a plan B when plan A was clearly not working also they were totally inept at making changes leaving them nearly all until the last 5 mins when the game was effectively over as a contest.
If Wexford had scored their frees let alone the wides from play we would of won the game, we had a staggering 8 frees wide (converted 2) and a further 12 from play- to be fair of those frees some where 50 metres out.
Ref was funny as well and between him and his linesman the nearly ruined the game, at one stage especially in the first half the linesman made more decisions than the ref.
Finally the ground itself didn't suit Wexford a small confined pitch in which we couldn't find the wide open spaces like we did in Portlaoise and it made our pace totally ineffective, but we had a good year with a provincial title (our first, so we have plenty to be proud of with a team that will hopefully deliver a few seniors to Wexford football).

All in all fair play to Cavan and best of luck in the final
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:07 pm

JimWexford wrote:Hard game to analysis, better team lost but Cavan took there chances when that got them and that sums up football if you don't score you don't deserve to win.
Midfield always a Wexford weakness was totally dominant but our lack imagination and sensible thinking cause us dearly. The amount of times the wrong option was taken was bordering silly.
Fair play to Terry Hyland and his fellow mentors their decision making and substitutions were also key factors in the Cavan victory.
Our mentors failed to bring a plan B when plan A was clearly not working also they were totally inept at making changes leaving them nearly all until the last 5 mins when the game was effectively over as a contest.
If Wexford had scored their frees let alone the wides from play we would of won the game, we had a staggering 8 frees wide (converted 2) and a further 12 from play- to be fair of those frees some where 50 metres out.
Ref was funny as well and between him and his linesman the nearly ruined the game, at one stage especially in the first half the linesman made more decisions than the ref.
Finally the ground itself didn't suit Wexford a small confined pitch in which we couldn't find the wide open spaces like we did in Portlaoise and it made our pace totally ineffective, but we had a good year with a provincial title (our first, so we have plenty to be proud of with a team that will hopefully deliver a few seniors to Wexford football).

All in all fair play to Cavan and best of luck in the final

So to sum up Sir James:

a) Cavan were more clinical with their chances
b) Cavan had a better midfield
c) Cavan implemented their tactics better
d) Cavan had superior management
e) Cavan were more potent with their free-kicks
f) Cavan acted better on the neutral grounds

All of which brings me back to the admission on the opening line of your post which states that the best team lost.

Hard Luck, Cavan are obviously no Meath when it comes to playing Wexford.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 am

Cannot wait till croker!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 pm

i cant believe they are going to let this tripe into croker
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Lashing out wildly now.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:45 pm

no its tripe
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:31 pm

At mass this evening I spotted 3 kids wearing Cavan jerseys, stopped at the shop on route home and for the first time in a decade there was a stand with Cavan flags and regalia..
JS Senior, who would only know Jelly as something you have with ice-cream, was heard on the phone this evening declaring that Hehir couldn't be allowed to run the show as he did against Cork if we are to have any chance.

It may be only U21 but this run is certainly making an impact...

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Jonsmith wrote:At mass this evening I spotted 3 kids wearing Cavan jerseys, stopped at the shop on route home and for the first time in a decade there was a stand with Cavan flags and regalia..
JS Senior, who would only know Jelly as something you have with ice-cream, was heard on the phone this evening declaring that Hehir couldn't be allowed to run the show as he did against Cork if we are to have any chance.

It may be only U21 but this run is certainly making an impact...

That's what it's all about JS....Nothing like a bit of success to bring the buzz...In fact Boxty turned down "Corporate Box Facilities" for Saturday on the premise of the offer being repeated next week....
After all, who wants to see Roscommon win anything.... Twisted Evil
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
That's what it's all about JS....Nothing like a bit of success to bring the buzz...In fact Boxty turned down "Corporate Box Facilities" for Saturday on the premise of the offer being repeated next week....
After all, who wants to see Roscommon win anything.... Twisted Evil

I've spoken to several Leitrim folk who are making the trip.. From Carrigallen to Ballinamore and even a Fenagh man considering it.
Galway have swept away the mediocrity that has faced them so far and knocked out the odds on favourites so I am less than confident but we will enjoy the occasion regardless of the result.

Does Scoop or Dougal know what the story is with Kevin Tierney? I was sure he would have made a substantial appearance before now..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 am

Well I know hes of to yankland in the summer..
I dont rate him myself seen alot of him underage and I dont think he is forceful enough for county level quality freetaker in fairness to the chap...
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 am

I don't know much about the fella myself, only what I read about him, scoring 5-5 in a Senior League game, the Minors 2 years ago that blamed his absence through injury for their defeat.. Didn't he score the goal in the '08 Minor Final? A good option to have at any rate.

I just hope McDermott doesn't have a repeat of his Ulster Final performance, I thought it foolish to leave him on that day when he was obviously getting nothing out of the Tyrone full back. Jack is quietly going about his business, no doubt Galway will have him marked out. For me he's been our best player this year.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:55 am

Barry was poor against tyrone and wexford not really involved in the game need him on top of his game...
Jack is a quality player and a great man to win a ball..
Mclarey is a great sub to have pure impact!
Good point about niall, tierney is a player to bring on but would not be my first choice!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:13 am

scoopmine wrote:Barry was poor against tyrone and wexford not really involved in the game need him on top of his game...
Jack is a quality player and a great man to win a ball..
Mclarey is a great sub to have pure impact!
Good point about niall, tierney is a player to bring on but would not be my first choice!

Barry is class, his free at the start of the Tyrone game from the sideline was just quality. His biggest asset is his range of passing, he got to show it against Fermanagh and Donegal but the running game played against Tyrone and for much of the Wexford game didn't suit him I thought. He's one of the most natural footballers on that team but you're right he does need to impose himself a bit more on things. He still has another year or two at this level doesn't he?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:42 am

Id be barrys biggest fan a quality footballer hes got good breeding! Great vision.. If he plays well you can bet on on the full-forwards playing well cause of the quality ball coming in.. Id have no problem throwing him into the ff line either to change things up..
Hes one year left at this level and hes up in belfast playing at freshers level..

Im a big fan of murrey serious workrate and team player doesnt seem to have the gaels attitude...
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 pm

Galway unchanged..

Cavan nervous..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

It will be tight.. Starting to see and hear abit of hype...
Cavan to win by 2...
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:43 am

scoopmine wrote:It will be tight.. Starting to see and hear abit of hype...
Cavan to win by 2...

i blame the cavan media..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Apparently the ticket sales for Sunday so far are:

Galway 500
Killkenny 2000
Dublin 3000
Cavan 12000

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 pm

225 ** years to the day since Mozart's opera "Marriage of Figaro" premiered in Wien (Vienna), it is hoped that Cavan will write themselves into the history book on May Day 2011.

H'on to fook Cavan.

** It is also 50 years to the day since Fidel Castro announced that there would be no more further elections ever in Cuba. Fidel keeps his word at least.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Best of luck to both teams on Sunday.. I think Cavan need this more than Galway

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun May 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Good outfit this galway team, but hopefully Cavan can do themselves justice in the 2nd half.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun May 01, 2011 10:53 pm

patrique wrote:Good outfit this galway team, but hopefully Cavan can do themselves justice in the 2nd half.

We'll be hearing a lot more of a few of those Galway players. The senior management could do worse than throw the centre-back and two midfielders into the side blindly given how they've struggled there in recent years. The number 13, Danny Cummins, must rate a very bright prospect too.

Cavan, well hard to know if the occasion got to them or if Galway were just that much the better side. They've had a good run and gave their support something to be cheerful about but whether or not those players will provide enough impetus in the senior team to make them a force remains to be seen. I felt lads like Alan O'Meara, Oisin Minagh, Gearoid McKeirnan and Barry Reilly, all of whom seemed to be fan's favourites struggled big time. The wing forward Niall Smith was the best on offer.

On the balance of it, I'd predict that the future of Cavan football is still something along the axis of Givney-Nesty-Pierson-Jelly.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next