GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Division 1

+8
emmetryan
RMDrive
Gaa_lover
Boxtyeater
OMAR
bocerty
Parouisa
Thomas Clarke
12 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

NFL Division 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: NFL Division 1

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Strangely, most of the division 1 sides will have been reasonably happen after last weekend. Obviously, the 4 winning sides will have been pleased, while Down and Kerry showed more in defeat than they have up til now. Mayo played quite well against Dublin, while Donegal will believe that they have more scope for improvement than Tyrone do.

Kerry should have beaten Kildare, kicking wide after wide. As I see it, Kerry will still be a good side when they are able to field their best 15, but they don't have a lot behind that. Neither they nor Cork need to peak until late July/August, so it's understandable that they are off the pace, but Kerry in particular will worry that so much still seems to depend on Cooper. Donaghy, Donnacha Walsh, Brosnan and Galvin must have major question marks beside them for this year, while Tomas O'Se is almost 35. On the flip side, Johnny Buckley is improving, and James O'Donoghue is unlikely to be as bad again as he was yesterday.

Kildare are not going to be good enough. Jason Ryan will help them improve their attack, but they are still very reliant on a couple of players, most notably John Doyle. Johnny was excellent again yesterday, and he would have been my man of the match ahead of Seanie. Tomas O'Connor is also very central to their attacking plans. I feel like Kildare have never replaced Dermot Earley, despite McGeeney's raving about Padraig O'Neill this spring.

Down will be gutted to have lost after scoring 1-17, but they will take comfort from what appears to have been their best performance of the year. The look doomed at this point.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I think this weekend's round of matches outline the point I was making over on the Tyrone thread last week. That at the moment Dublin are playing a level of football way beyond anyone else in the Division. Cork are recovering after a dodgy start and are the only team I can see giving Dublin a realistic run for the League title.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 am

Donegal exactly where they want to be - on target for 6 points.
Hopefully next week v Cork or otherwise an already past the post Dublin, prefer not to be relying on a return from a vengeful and survival clinging Mayo

McFadden form isn't inspiring. MM staying injury free clearly vital
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 am

Parouisa wrote:I think this weekend's round of matches outline the point I was making over on the Tyrone thread last week.

Really? The Down/Mayo result supports that point? Or the Donegal/Kerry game?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:I think this weekend's round of matches outline the point I was making over on the Tyrone thread last week.

Really? The Down/Mayo result supports that point? Or the Donegal/Kerry game?

TC you can be a very pedantic man - which is a pity. The nub of my point was that Dublin were playing at a level above others (Mayo played well in Croker too that evening) and that Tyrone had the same stalwarts delivering for them but not many of the new guys standing out. I felt that Tyrone would stay in Div 1 comfortably but I feel they are still as far off competing at the top end as they have been for the last 2/3 years.

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 am

That's fine, P, and I admitted last week that Dublin were ahead of everyone (highly impressive yesterday - highly). But you did include Mayo, and they aren't ahead of anyone just now, aside from RKF's boys.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 am

Yes but its not as simple as saying A beat B, B beat C therefore A would beat C. For instance I have seen over the years a lot of teams seem to come up a notch when playing Dublin. I felt Mayo played very well in Croker and way above other performances they have given in the League and were the best side we played in League - and still are after yesterday!!!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am

scrap the Championship and give SAM to Cluxton anytime. No point the rest of us bothering to turn up!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Quick round up of the weekend's action.

Tyrone v Cork
Tyrone didn't show up. It was as poor a performance as I've seen under Mickey Harte. Cork did what they had to, but should really have won by much more than 6 points.

Down v Mayo
Fair play to Down, a much maligned bunch. 3 defeats on the bounce, including an agonising defeat to Cork last week, but they battled very hard on Saturday night, and well worth their win. Benny Coulter is finished, though. Mayo are struggling. They've looked good in patches in all their games, but then totally fade out of things. Aidan O'Shea can't win games on his own, and needs increased support.

Dublin V Kildare
Dublin were outstanding, and this was easily the best performance by any side so far this season. Kildare score 1-1 in the last 55 minutes, and barely even managed a wide in that period. Fast, aggressive, focussed - the Dubs were relentless. Win the ball, kick it to the wing, and beat your man with pace. The kick passing was excellent, and they are all encouraged to shoot. Kildare were poor for the 2nd week running - Seanie may have arrived 2-3 years too late.

Donegal v Kerry
I didn't see this game, but it sounds like it was very comprehensive. Kerry have now scored 1-27 in 4 games (or, to put it another way, an average of 7 points per game). On current form, they would be struggling in division 2 right now.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 pm

A facile win for Donegal. I only heard it on the radio but the commentators reckoned that it was challenge match stuff with Kerry not turning up at all. They were actually disappointed with the Donegal performance, feeling that a lot of the decision making was poor.
Anyway, 2 points closer to the 6 we are looking for.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Quick round up of the weekend's action.

Tyrone v Cork
Tyrone didn't show up. It was as poor a performance as I've seen under Mickey Harte. Cork did what they had to, but should really have won by much more than 6 points.

Down v Mayo
Fair play to Down, a much maligned bunch. 3 defeats on the bounce, including an agonising defeat to Cork last week, but they battled very hard on Saturday night, and well worth their win. Benny Coulter is finished, though. Mayo are struggling. They've looked good in patches in all their games, but then totally fade out of things. Aidan O'Shea can't win games on his own, and needs increased support.

Dublin V Kildare
Dublin were outstanding, and this was easily the best performance by any side so far this season. Kildare score 1-1 in the last 55 minutes, and barely even managed a wide in that period. Fast, aggressive, focussed - the Dubs were relentless. Win the ball, kick it to the wing, and beat your man with pace. The kick passing was excellent, and they are all encouraged to shoot. Kildare were poor for the 2nd week running - Seanie may have arrived 2-3 years too late.

Donegal v Kerry
I didn't see this game, but it sounds like it was very comprehensive. Kerry have now scored 1-27 in 4 games (or, to put it another way, an average of 7 points per game). On current form, they would be struggling in division 2 right now.

were you home for the Tyrone game TC?
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I was Boc. Posted my thoughts on the Tyrone thread - brutal stuff. Did you go?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I was Boc. Posted my thoughts on the Tyrone thread - brutal stuff. Did you go?

i didnt TC had a few other things on on Sunday - plus it was way too cold to stand and watch what turned out to be muck by all accounts.

The old appetite for all things GAA has been on the downward spiral for a while now and i am having difficulty reinvigorating it ........................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Anyone going on Saturday evening?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Parouisa wrote:Anyone going on Saturday evening?

It'll be television for me - at least I can turn it off if things get ugly!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 am

Tyrone team to face Dublin:

1 Niall Morgan Éadan na dTorc
2 Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin
3 Conor Gormley An Charraig Mhór
4 Cathal McCarron An Droim Mór
5 Joe McMahon An Omaigh
6 Justin McMahon An Omaigh
7 Ronan McNamee Achadh Uí Aráin
8 Colm Cavanagh An Mhaigh
9 Sean Cavanagh An Mhaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac
11 Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
12 Ciaran McGinley Aireagal Chiaráin
13 Kyle Coney Árd Bó
14 Stephen O'Neill Clann na nGael
15 Mark Donnelly An Charraig Mhór

16 Pascal McConnell An Baile Nua
17 Aidan Cassidy Eochar
18 Kevin Gallagher An Baile Nua
19 Plunkett Kane Oileán a'Ghuail
20 Johnathan Lafferty Urnaí
21 Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo
22 Danny McBride An Srath Ban
23 Ryan McKenna Eaglais
24 Patrick McNiece Oileán a'Ghuail
25 Michael Murphy An Gallbhaile
26 Martin Penrose An Charraig Mhór
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 am

3 changes from the Cork game: Justin McMahon, Mark Donnelly and Ciaran McGinley in for Ryan McKenna, Ronan O'Neill and Paddy McNeice. McGinley makes his first ever start for Tyrone seniors.

Tyrone will be very defensive, with Mattie Donnelly and McGinley joining the half backs, while Mark Donnelly will play around/behind midfield also. Coney & O'Neill will be isolated up front, with Peter Harte closest. Sean Cavanagh will have the licence to attack at will.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 am

Kildare tried to play a defensive system. It is a dangerous ploy with the form Dublin are in and is especially difficult to pull off in Croker without the summer heat to tire players. Jim G has named an unchanged side. They have a chance to iron out the bad stuff from the Kildare game.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 am

Parouisa wrote:Kildare tried to play a defensive system. It is a dangerous ploy with the form Dublin are in and is especially difficult to pull off in Croker without the summer heat to tire players.

I know they did, and I know how it backfired, but we can't match Dublin for pace around the field, so a defensive tactic (compressed field) is a fair enough option.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Kildare tried to play a defensive system. It is a dangerous ploy with the form Dublin are in and is especially difficult to pull off in Croker without the summer heat to tire players.

I know they did, and I know how it backfired, but we can't match Dublin for pace around the field, so a defensive tactic (compressed field) is a fair enough option.

I suppose. Though if it's a calm evening and Dublin bring the same shooting boots they brought to the 2011 quarter final then it could be danger for the Red Hands ...
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 am

Parouisa wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

I suppose. Though if it's a calm evening and Dublin bring the same shooting boots they brought to the 2011 quarter final then it could be danger for the Red Hands ...

Referencing 2011 and Diarmuid Connollys performance(and recent good form) I will forecast that the Tyrone game plan may include measures designed to fully test his temperament

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:27 am

I think Dermo needs to be on his best behaviour now for a few reasons and he surely realises this.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 am

OMAR wrote:
Parouisa wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Referencing 2011 and Diarmuid Connollys performance(and recent good form) I will forecast that the Tyrone game plan may include measures designed to fully test his temperament

The 2011 game was very different, as Tyrone played an open, attacking game in the first half, and played an unfit man on Connelly. The Slugger did little when Gormley moved onto him.

I see Pillar saying today about the big advantage the Croke Park is for Dublin, and in particularly for the likes of McCaffrey, Cooper and the other fliers. Tyrone are lacking pace in defence, and i'd really worry about the full back line. We do however have a lot of strength and experience. If we win midfield (we ere blown out there last week) and frustrate Dublin around the half back line, O'Neill, Coney and Sean Cav can cause problems for the Dublin defence.

The smart money would be on a comfortable Dublin win, but I'd expect a bigger Tyrone performance after last week's no-show. Interesting to see that we have no U21s on Saturday's panel (Conor Clarke, Ronan O'Neill and Darren McCurry would be notable absentees).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 am

Parouisa wrote:I think Dermo needs to be on his best behaviour now for a few reasons and he surely realises this.

He was getting very irate last week against Kildare, Par. I don't think he can help himself.

I've said on here before that I see him as a coward, who feels that he has to hit people to prove he is tough. I think you have enough at the minute not to need him.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 am

I think Tyrone will be cleaned out at midfield. Dublin have a number of options here and it has been one of our strong points. Declan O'Mahony has been excellent and Denis Bastick is some man to have on the bench - as we saw last Sunday. MDMcA has been off colour and may come back to form soon with any luck!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next