GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Division 2

+8
redhandman
Boxtyeater
Royal_Girl2k9
bald eagle
Parouisa
Loyal2TheRoyal
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

NFL Division 2 Empty NFL Division 2

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:54 pm

So we are only a fortnight away from the start of a new season of League Football. How do you all see things panning out for your respective counties. Most counties seem to take the league more seriously than say a few seasons back.

From a Tyrone perspective i think the main objective will be to get back into the top tier of league football were the so-called big guns usually hang out. That said it wont be easy done as there are some tough games ahead for the Red Hand County.

Tyrones fixtures are as follows

Kildare (A)
Derry (H)
Louth (A)
Westmeath (H)
Galway (A)
Meath (H)
Monaghan (H)

And whilst we are in a transition period as far as building a new team is concerned i would still be hopeful we could achieve promotion. Bar Kildare and Derry the other 5 teams are like oursleves, on the way down as opposed to being on the rise. We have lost quite a few of the old guard who have served us well for the past decade but its time now to move on and give the new guys a chance to make an impression. We still have the spine of a decent team but we need a few lads like Coney McNabb etc to step up to the plate this season. Stevie O' Neill is still a potent threat but like other years staying injury free will be his biggest challenge. His name sake Ronan O' Neill is showing signs of being a promising talent if he can be kept grounded, he hit 1-4 yesterday.

Our first two games should present our sternest tests and if we can come away with those two games with a return of 2 points i'd be hopeful of achieving a top 2 finish. Healy Park has never really been a fortress for visiting teams in the same way O'Neill park in Dungannon was but we need to be beating teams like Monaghan and Meath at home if we are to be serious about making any inroads this year at all.

I'm predicting an 11 point return for Tyrone with a final against Kildare, though we need to be wary of Derry.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

NFL Division 2 Empty Re: NFL Division 2

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Boc is correct when he points out that Tyrone's record is not great in Omagh, certainly in comparison to our record in O'Neill Park, Dungannon. Despite this, however, we have every chance of doing well in the league this year, with 4 home games, 2 away games, and one in Croke Park against Kildare. One of the away games is against Louth, who would be viewed as one of the weaker sides, so Tyrone really have 5 or 6 games where we would expect to go in as favourites. 4 home wins and a victory against Louth should be enough for promotion, and anything from the Kildare game would be a bonus.

Mickey will obviously want to get back up to division 1, but finding some new starters for the championship is every bit as important this year. The McKenna Cup has been encouraging, with several new faces likely to see considerable time in the league.

Tyrone's four key players are Sean Cavanagh, the 2 McMahons and Peter Harte. Colm Cavanagh, Martin Penrose, Stevie O'Neill and Pascal McConnell would probably all be first team certainties too. Barring injuries, that leaves 7 places up for grabs, and considerable competition for them. Kyle Coney, Peter Hughes, Ronan O'Neill, Mattie Donnelly and Johnny Lafferty will all challenge in attack, and that is hugely important, as it is up front where we most need new blood following the retirements of McGinley, McGuigan and Dooher.

There are a couple of players who aren't quite making the push just yet, specifically Niall McKenna and Ronan McNabb. McNabb always seems to be injured, while McKenna has the look of a luxury player, and Mickey has only indulged one of those in his time with Tyrone (Gerald Cavlan).

As well as the younger players, I'd hope that the likes of Dermot Carlin, Martin Swift, Cathal McCarron, Sean O'Neill, Aidan McCrory and Aidan Cassidy would all step up a level. Carlin, in particular, could become a starter for the first time this year, 9 years after his debut. McCrory too has had a good start to the year. Conor Gormley still has a lot to offer, and should be in contention come summer time. Ryan McMenamin and Davy Harte can do a job late in games.

So, lots of competiton for places in Tyrone, and 8-9 games (including McKenna Cup final) to go before the championship. Should be a new look Tyrone side starting to emerge by then.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:51 pm

"Need to be beating teams like Meath at home" - The arrogance.

I expect Meath to win against the kids who were deemed unable to repleace a bunch of thirty-somethings last year.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

bocerty wrote:
Kildare (A) 0
Derry (H) 1
Louth (A) 2
Westmeath (H) 2
Galway (A) 2
Meath (H) 2
Monaghan (H) 2

Yeah think 11 could be about right there. Derry might be draw and Galway will be potentiall difficult. Otherwise away to Louth is an easy 2 as is home to Meath, Monaghan and Westmeath.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Parouisa wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Kildare (A) 0
Derry (H) 1
Louth (A) 2
Westmeath (H) 2
Galway (A) 2
Meath (H) 2
Monaghan (H) 2

Yeah think 11 could be about right there. Derry might be draw and Galway will be potentially difficult. Otherwise away to Louth is an easy 2 as is home to Meath, Monaghan and Westmeath.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Final table to look something like:

Meath 13 points
Kildare 11 points
Tyrone 9 points
Monaghan 6 points
Galway 6 points
Louth 4 points
Westmeath 4 points
Derry 3 points
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Final table to look something like:

Meath 13 points
Kildare 11 points
Tyrone 9 points
Monaghan 6 points
Galway 6 points
Louth 4 points
Westmeath 4 points
Derry 3 points

Post Meath's fixtures there and I'll tell ya how many points ye'll get. Ye will be alright to stay in Div 2 with Louth and Westmeath in it.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Parouisa wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Final table to look something like:

Meath 13 points
Kildare 11 points
Tyrone 9 points
Monaghan 6 points
Galway 6 points
Louth 4 points
Westmeath 4 points
Derry 3 points

Post Meath's fixtures there and I'll tell ya how many points ye'll get. Ye will be alright to stay in Div 2 with Louth and Westmeath in it.

I have them winning six and drawing with Kildare.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I have them winning six and drawing with Kildare.

Close - I reckon you are only out by about 8 points with that ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Div 2 round 1
Sat 4th feb, Meath v Monaghan, Kildare v Tyrone
Sun 5th Feb Derry v Galway, Louth v Westmeath

Sat 11th Feb. Tyrone v Derry
Sun 12th Feb Westmeath v Meath, Monaghan v Kildare, Galway v Louth

Sat 3rd march Derry v Monaghan , Meath v Kildare
Sun 4th march Westmeath v Galway, Louth v Tyrone

Sat 10th march Tyrone v Westmeath
Sun 11th march Monaghan v Louth, Galway v Meath, Kildare v Derry

Sun march 18th Westmeath v Monaghan, Meath v Derry, Louth v Kildare, Galway v Tyrone

Sat march 24th Derry v Louth, Tyrone v Meath,
Sun match 25th Monaghan v Galway, Kildare v Westmeath

Sun April 8th Westmeath v Derry, Meath v Louth, Tyrone v Monaghan, Galway v Kildare
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Monaghan could be a draw with the Banty factor, ye'll beat Westmeath as they'll be missing Garrycastle lads, Kildare will bate ye just like the last few C'ship meetings, ye'll get nowt in Galway nor Tyrone, Derry will bate ye well and ye'll beat Louth if ye have any interest left - there should be as it will likely be a relegation battle. 5 points! There y'are so!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:"Need to be beating teams like Meath at home" - The arrogance.

I expect Meath to win against the kids who were deemed unable to repleace a bunch of thirty-somethings last year.

no arrogance at all Loyal - Meath have a decent record against Tyrone but as i say if we want to be taken seriously teams like Meath should not be beating us. Thats not to say they wont. Its a competitive enough looking division but only Kildare can say they will be going in with a settled team and with a real sense of confidence. They looked very fit yesterday.

Tyrone have taken a different approach to pre season training this year, instead of players being left to their own devices and trusted to put in the hours in the gym all sessions have been supervised so we can expect to see a fitter Tyrone perhaps.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am

A Tyrone mate of mine said to me last night that he was really looking forward to the McKenna Cup final to see what Tyrone were actually like as "they hadn't met a decent team yet" and that he would make a judgement on their chances from that game. I was staggered by his assessment but he is a person whose judgement i respect and he is closer to the mark than the halfwits that write for the papers, talk on the telly or declare war behind the keyboards!

I think that Tyrone are now possibily on the level of Derry again and that it will make for an interesting league, the good thing is that there doesn't appear to be much between a lot of the teams in the division and it could be an exciting league! I'm hoping for promotion but wouldn't be surprised if we finish 4th or 5th!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 am

Tyrone have mixed the very promising with the very poor so far. They blew Fermanagh away in the 1st half of the first game, and then struggled in the 2nd half. Then in the semi, they struggled in the 1st half, before going on a rampage in the 2nd.

What we are going to see this year is a new look side. A lot of people expect the likes of Ricey, Hughes, Davy Harte, Stevie O'Neill, Mugsy, Tommy McGuigan and Gormley all to slot back in as the league progresses, but I don't see this happening. By the end of last year, only Gormley was a first team regular, so I think the days of those guys being prioritised over the less experienced lads are over. They may still be selected, but from now on it will be on form/merit.

Outside of injuries or alarming dips in form, the only players you would say are assured a place on Tyrone's championshsip 15 are the 2 Cavanaghs, 2 McMahons, Peter Harte, Martin Penrose and Stevie O'Neill. That leaves half a side up for grabs, and who fills those gaps will be determined by league form. In the four games so far, I think that we have seen enough from some of the new lads to suggest that a few of them will challenge strongly.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:31 pm

bald eagle wrote:A Tyrone mate of mine said to me last night that he was really looking forward to the McKenna Cup final to see what Tyrone were actually like as "they hadn't met a decent team yet" and that he would make a judgement on their chances from that game. I was staggered by his assessment but he is a person whose judgement i respect and he is closer to the mark than the halfwits that write for the papers, talk on the telly or declare war behind the keyboards!

I think that Tyrone are now possibily on the level of Derry again and that it will make for an interesting league, the good thing is that there doesn't appear to be much between a lot of the teams in the division and it could be an exciting league! I'm hoping for promotion but wouldn't be surprised if we finish 4th or 5th!

your mate is spot on BE - teams dont become bad overnight but in a similar vein they don't go from being an average enough side to world beaters overnight either. We have played 4 games beating Queens (a depleted Queens at that) Antrim and Fermanagh twice. With all due respect, and bearing in mind we were blooding a few new players we should be beating sides like that.

Against Queens we were lucky we werent beaten and we struggled in the other 3 games. My big concern is scores and were they are going to come from. Granted Stevie is on form but can he stay injury free, his namesake Ronan O' Neill is a good prospect but i'd like to see him in more intense physical games before announcing him as the next best thing to happen Tyrone football. We have other forwards who contribute plenty by way of work rate etc but the scoreboard is were forwards are judged most. Interestingly Mark Donnelly won MOTM the other night against Fermanagh and both managers praised Martin Penroses impact following his introduction but crucially Donnelly and Penrose only contributed 2 points of a total of 2-12 between them. We are going to need Coney to finally fulfil his promise, for Ronan O'Neill to continue doing what he doing and for Sean Cavanagh to finally start playing some of the football he is capable of.

The nucleus of a decent side is there but we need guys to start doing in on the pitch
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I know what you are saying Boc, but how many consistent scoring forwards do any other top sides have?

If Tyrone had a fit Cavanagh and Stevie O'Neill they would be a handle for any full-back line. Perhaps Ronan O'Neill (I agree he needs to get stronger), Coney or maybe even Johny Lafferty or Peter Hughes will push on, and give us something extra.

I think this year Tyrone will play a faster, more expansive game than at any time the last 5 years, and Mickey will be hoping that we get scores from a lot of sources. I'd worry about our defence, especially with so many young/new players, and can see a season with some very good football and strong scoring bursts at times, but also the inevitable difficult patches and a couple of tough defeats that all young sides experience.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Tyrone team to play Kildare. As predicted on here a week ago, the team to play Derry was always going to form the guts of the first league selection. As it happens, the only changes are McConnell in goal, and Joe McMahon in for the injured Colm Cavanagh.

1 Pascal McConnell – An Baile Nua
2 Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
4 PJ Quinn – Baile na Móna
5 Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
6 Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Dermot Carlin – Coill an Chlochair
8 Michael Murphy – An Gallbhaile
9 Joe McMahon – An Omaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
11 Peter Hughes – Eiscreach
12 Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
13 Owen Mulligan – An Chorra Chríochach
14 Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhór
15 Stephen O’Neill – Clann na nGael

16 John Devine – Aireagal Chiaráin
17 Aidan Cassidy – Eochar
18 Conor Clarke - An Omaigh
19 Kyle Coney – Ard Bó
20 Ciaran Gervin – Doire Locháin
21 Jonathan Lafferty – Urnaí
22 Damian McCaul – Domhnach Mór
23 Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
24 Ryan McMenamin – An Droim Mhór
25 Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mhór
26 Sean O’Neill – An Droim Mhór
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Mugsy the last remaining link with the starting 15 in the 03 All Ireland Final - the times they are a changing in Tyrone.

Be interesting to see how they cope with the physicality of the Kildare boys - it will tell us a bit more about what the new generation are likely to bring to the table
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 pm

bocerty wrote:Mugsy the last remaining link with the starting 15 in the 03 All Ireland Final - the times they are a changing in Tyrone.

Very good point Boc, and only 2 others on the bench. I'm a bit apprehensive about the next couple of matches, as we aren't far off full strength, and it remains to be seen if we are good enough. Sean Cavanagh will come back, Gormley might, Swift - not a lot else to come in there.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:Mugsy the last remaining link with the starting 15 in the 03 All Ireland Final - the times they are a changing in Tyrone.

Very good point Boc, and only 2 others on the bench. I'm a bit apprehensive about the next couple of matches, as we aren't far off full strength, and it remains to be seen if we are good enough. Sean Cavanagh will come back, Gormley might, Swift - not a lot else to come in there.

by the end of the month you'll be in a better position to judge TC - we have to be hopeful. Swift is touring the globe at the minute so no chance of him playing any time soon.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 pm

bocerty wrote: Swift is touring the globe at the minute so no chance of him playing any time soon.

Touring the globe, indeed Rolling Eyes He wasn't doing that before he became a first team regular!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote: Swift is touring the globe at the minute so no chance of him playing any time soon.

Touring the globe, indeed Rolling Eyes He wasn't doing that before he became a first team regular!

he certainly wasnt - unfortunately like a lot of lads he has no work - mind you i have trouble understanding how no work can lead to a 6 month tour of the world!!! I thought you needed money for that craic!!!!

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Meath sit proudly at the head of the Division 2 table tonight, a position we will not relinquish for the duration of the League. I am an impressed Royal tonight. Our forwards showed some of their old flair. Bray and Bigey kicked points the like of which we hadn't seen from them in a couple of years. Paddy Gilsenan, as ever, was magnificent and it was an absolute disgrace that this man was sent off before the ifnal whistle. The Armagh referee should hang his head in shame over that one. Cian Ward showed glimpses of class too. I expect us to double our points total away to Westmeath next Sunday afternoon.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm also quite impressed with our performance tonight, but I would be slightly concerned about how many chances we gave Monaghan, and how different the result would have been had they taken them.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:10 pm

We gave Monaghan a lot of chances yes. The full-back line is far from convincing and McGuinness is not the half-back he was. Hopefully Kevin Reilly's return will restore a bit of confidence to the defence. Also replacing a hard worker like Tobin with Joe was a bad move. Tobin is the type of player who goes unnoticed whilst playing but his absense is noted when he's not playing. What I will say is the forwards that started would be my first choice for the remainder of the League although I'd look at replacing Cian Ward with Darragh Smyth or Mark Collins.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next