GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Division 1

+8
Real Kerry Fan
GAA-Fan
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
Boxtyeater
redhandman
mullins
Jayo Cluxton
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Division 1 Empty Division 1

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Some good football and high scores in the first week. Seems the League is being treated with a bit more respect in recent times by managers. Probably since in recent years teams who won the League went on to win Sam. Watched a bit of Cork-Kerry today and some good scores taken and not much rust on view. Monaghan too hit a big score and Mayo and Down seems to have been entertaining. I reckon if Kerry lose next time they will experiment for last 5.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Division 1 Empty Re: Division 1

Post  mullins Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Thought Dublin gave a great performance last night and i was very happy with it..All lines played well swift got 4 points off Murray but they were all great scores by swift..Was delighted to see Casey and Lally put in solid performances 2 players that have taking a lot of flak in Dublin football...

McManamon doing some great work picking up ball on his own full back line and driving forward,for me he was man of the match,its a long time since Dublin have played like this in the league hopefully its a sign of things to come..

It was great all round team performance Well Done Giller and the Dubs
cheers
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

indeed dublin did look impressive - i was in the big shmoke on saturday evening for a bit of a night out with a few friends and what we could see on the tv screen in the bar the dubs looked good . the atheltic grounds will not be an easy place to visit, good showing could be the start of a big year for the dubs
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:29 pm

This is the word of the Lord!!! I see mullins is starting to have a real influence on Dublin!!! cheers

Brogan and Dublin beginning to believe
IAN O'RIORDAN

Tue, Feb 08, 2011

DUBLIN FOOTBALL: A GOOD start and a good battle suggests Dublin are more serious than recent years about winning the Allianz National Football League, and forward Bernard Brogan admits it’s about time they did.

Saturday’s first-round win in Armagh was notable not just for Dublin’s attitude but also their new-found strength in depth, which can only serve them well in that quest to win a first league title since 1993.

Brogan made no secret of Dublin’s desire to win the competition outright, saying yesterday manager Pat Gilroy will be fielding his strongest possible team over the coming weeks, and has emphasised the need for maximum performances every day they go out.

“I think the league and the championship have a huge correlation now between the successes of both,” said Brogan. “Dublin have been so far away for so long. As a team Dublin should be contesting it more often. I know in the 1990s they contested two or three finals before they won it. I think we need to get up to that level.

“We’ll be going out to win every game, and of course that’s what you have to do to win the league. But we really do want to win it, to get some silverware this year. We’ve a lot of tough games, and if we do make the final we’ll really be going hell for leather to win it.

“And I think Pat is putting more emphasis on it, because we’ve a more settled panel now. It was still Pat’s early days last year, and he had to find out what he felt his best team was, and the players he wanted. But it is more settled this year, the panel that bit more solid.

“So I think he’ll be putting out a stronger team, because he knows his players, and probably doesn’t need to develop as many by putting out more experimental lads, as he would have in other years. Give or take two or three lads, Pat knows now his best 25 players, so he can go for it.”

Armagh made Dublin work for their victory, drawing level with 10 minutes remaining before Brogan’s deftly-finished goal turned the game firmly in Dublin’s favour. That was important too, he says, in that it suggests Dublin’s mental fragility of recent years is no longer an issue.

“I think the confidence of the team is much stronger now. Maybe in other years we would have folded. But I think the last 10 minutes now we can get it right, put the foot down, put the pressure on, and not let teams catch you. I think that has been the main reason for our downfall the last few years. If we get that right I think we’ll be a tough team to beat.

“So Saturday was a great start, a tough place to go to get a win. Both teams looked fit and were strong. And it was a great one to win, to beat a northern team, which we don’t do very often. When they came back at us we would have wilted a bit in the past. But we stood up and got the next three scores and went five points up, so that’s a good sign, that when teams come back at us we can finish things off.”

With four home games in Croke Park, starting with round two on Saturday week against All-Ireland champions Cork, an opening victory was fairly crucial for Dublin, in terms of drawing maximum crowds to GAA headquarters.

More importantly, Brogan feels Dublin have strengthened their winning attitude, and that’s ultimately what drove them on.

“In the past we might have gone and said ‘we’ll give this a lash’. This time we said we were going up to win this game, and never for a second did I think we were going to lose up there. I think that might be a different mentality this year.

“We’re more confident and we know what works for us. We know that hard work works for us, and we got a lot of results from it last year. That’s why Kerry and Tyrone have won so many games over the past 10 years – they feel like they deserve to win and when it comes down to the wire the team that believes wins. We’re really starting to believe in ourselves.”

Although he bagged 1-3 on Saturday, Dublin weren’t over-reliant on Brogan, and that, says the footballer of the year, is only a good thing: “I think it is a very strong panel. Diarmuid Connolly has come back in, a natural scorer, and I’d see him as one of the most talented footballers in Dublin.

“Mossy Quinn and Kevin McManamon have got off to good starts this year. We have loads of lads who can score and I don’t think it’s going to be a problem this year. Eoghan O’Gara too, he’s a brilliant talent. He’s something different that defences don’t really know how to handle.

“There are a lot of expectations on me this year, so I’m trying to work harder than I did in other years. Compared to last year and other years the tempo and intensity in training has been brilliant. Everyone is really putting it in. There are a couple of days Pat is trying to give out, but lads aren’t giving him much excuse. There’s a very professional attitude out there . . . There’s no whingeing.

“We’ve done the few early morning sessions, and people just get out there and do it. There are no questions asked. The atmosphere in the camp is really good and hopefully that will be a big thing for us this year.”

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:This is the word of the Lord!!! I see mullins is starting to have a real influence on Dublin!!! cheers

Brogan and Dublin beginning to believe
IAN O'RIORDAN

Tue, Feb 08, 2011

DUBLIN FOOTBALL: A GOOD start and a good battle suggests Dublin are more serious than recent years about winning the Allianz National Football League, and forward Bernard Brogan admits it’s about time they did.

Saturday’s first-round win in Armagh was notable not just for Dublin’s attitude but also their new-found strength in depth, which can only serve them well in that quest to win a first league title since 1993.

Brogan made no secret of Dublin’s desire to win the competition outright, saying yesterday manager Pat Gilroy will be fielding his strongest possible team over the coming weeks, and has emphasised the need for maximum performances every day they go out.

“I think the league and the championship have a huge correlation now between the successes of both,” said Brogan. “Dublin have been so far away for so long. As a team Dublin should be contesting it more often. I know in the 1990s they contested two or three finals before they won it. I think we need to get up to that level.

“We’ll be going out to win every game, and of course that’s what you have to do to win the league. But we really do want to win it, to get some silverware this year. We’ve a lot of tough games, and if we do make the final we’ll really be going hell for leather to win it.

“And I think Pat is putting more emphasis on it, because we’ve a more settled panel now. It was still Pat’s early days last year, and he had to find out what he felt his best team was, and the players he wanted. But it is more settled this year, the panel that bit more solid.

“So I think he’ll be putting out a stronger team, because he knows his players, and probably doesn’t need to develop as many by putting out more experimental lads, as he would have in other years. Give or take two or three lads, Pat knows now his best 25 players, so he can go for it.”

Armagh made Dublin work for their victory, drawing level with 10 minutes remaining before Brogan’s deftly-finished goal turned the game firmly in Dublin’s favour. That was important too, he says, in that it suggests Dublin’s mental fragility of recent years is no longer an issue.

“I think the confidence of the team is much stronger now. Maybe in other years we would have folded. But I think the last 10 minutes now we can get it right, put the foot down, put the pressure on, and not let teams catch you. I think that has been the main reason for our downfall the last few years. If we get that right I think we’ll be a tough team to beat.

“So Saturday was a great start, a tough place to go to get a win. Both teams looked fit and were strong. And it was a great one to win, to beat a northern team, which we don’t do very often. When they came back at us we would have wilted a bit in the past. But we stood up and got the next three scores and went five points up, so that’s a good sign, that when teams come back at us we can finish things off.”

With four home games in Croke Park, starting with round two on Saturday week against All-Ireland champions Cork, an opening victory was fairly crucial for Dublin, in terms of drawing maximum crowds to GAA headquarters.

More importantly, Brogan feels Dublin have strengthened their winning attitude, and that’s ultimately what drove them on.

“In the past we might have gone and said ‘we’ll give this a lash’. This time we said we were going up to win this game, and never for a second did I think we were going to lose up there. I think that might be a different mentality this year.

“We’re more confident and we know what works for us. We know that hard work works for us, and we got a lot of results from it last year. That’s why Kerry and Tyrone have won so many games over the past 10 years – they feel like they deserve to win and when it comes down to the wire the team that believes wins. We’re really starting to believe in ourselves.”

Although he bagged 1-3 on Saturday, Dublin weren’t over-reliant on Brogan, and that, says the footballer of the year, is only a good thing: “I think it is a very strong panel. Diarmuid Connolly has come back in, a natural scorer, and I’d see him as one of the most talented footballers in Dublin.

“Mossy Quinn and Kevin McManamon have got off to good starts this year. We have loads of lads who can score and I don’t think it’s going to be a problem this year. Eoghan O’Gara too, he’s a brilliant talent. He’s something different that defences don’t really know how to handle.

“There are a lot of expectations on me this year, so I’m trying to work harder than I did in other years. Compared to last year and other years the tempo and intensity in training has been brilliant. Everyone is really putting it in. There are a couple of days Pat is trying to give out, but lads aren’t giving him much excuse. There’s a very professional attitude out there . . . There’s no whingeing.

“We’ve done the few early morning sessions, and people just get out there and do it. There are no questions asked. The atmosphere in the camp is really good and hopefully that will be a big thing for us this year.”

Jayo i would like to think so but me and you both know Dublin always believed-we just needed a little bit of luck in the 00s but it deserted us. But hopefully going in to this decade lady luck is back on our side in the big games..Giller is trying to instill a winning habit in this team and that can only be good for the Dubs

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 pm

mullins wrote:[Jayo i would like to think so but me and you both know Dublin always believed-we just needed a little bit of luck in the 00s but it deserted us. But hopefully going in to this decade lady luck is back on our side in the big games..Giller is trying to instill a winning habit in this team and that can only be good for the Dubs

Trust the Dubs to come up with fresh ideas.....Now why haven't we thought of that before??
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
mullins wrote:[Jayo i would like to think so but me and you both know Dublin always believed-we just needed a little bit of luck in the 00s but it deserted us. But hopefully going in to this decade lady luck is back on our side in the big games..Giller is trying to instill a winning habit in this team and that can only be good for the Dubs

Trust the Dubs to come up with fresh ideas.....Now why haven't we thought of that before??
#

You would never understand... cyclops
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Backed Dublin at 6/5 pre-match and tuned into live streaming from the 25th minute onwards - Dublin led by 2-4 to 0-6 at that stage. My bet briefly looked in doubt at the turn of the half but from 45 minutes, there was only one winner. Betfair balance looking healthier following a couple of short price winners today.

I must say I was impressed with the Dubs discipline and fitness, although with the media reporting early morning training sessions, is that any surprise?

Probably not.

With Dublin closing down the space so fast and defending from the front-line, they still manage to play a very exciting brand of counter-attacking football reminiscent of the Germans at the World Cup. If it pays as much dividend in the future as it did tonight, then Gilroy will have pioneered quite the cunning new tactic, but no doubt the quality of player is crucial to it too.

Cork missed Cadogan, Miskella, O'Leary and Canty in defence too. Particularly Cadogan who is a fantastic footballer but seemingly a better hurler. The team probably just needs time and training to get back close to the heights of a few months ago.

Finally I was surprised to see Ciaran Sheehan and Alan Brogan start on the bench for both sides? Potent threats to be holding in reserve surely.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:10 pm

McManamon at chf brings a new dimension to the Dublin attack with his direct style. Lally impressed at wing back and Brogan showed his class with a couple of nice off-loads....The full back line looked shaky but then they are short a couple in that department.
Dubs looked very fit and focussed and with a bit of a run in the league might put it up to Laois or Longford for 55/60 minutes come the Summer....*

*I'll get me coat.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 am

I have to say its great to have a player of the calibre of Bernard Brogan in a blue shirt - at last we have a lad who I'd pay in to see on his own. He was sublime on Saturday - always making it look easy. He had a hand in al three goals and his flicked pass for the first was class. He also scored a couple of points that we just awesome. It was a good performance but I am not convinced by some lads. McManamon - the goal apart was poor I thought. Sean Murray at FB has a lot to learn at this level. I also thought Paul Flynn had a shocker and O'Gara has to learn to distribute the ball quicker. As usual Alan Brogan did enough to annoy me too in just 15 mins!

Cluxton made a couple of vital stops - though we were eat on his kickouts for a lot of the second half. Others to impress were Casey, Lally, Cahill and McCarthy.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

Enjoyable game on Saturday night, open and high-scoring. Dublin will be delighhted with a win although, it must be said, there didn't seem to be a lot of tackling going on.

Cork played well for long periods, and dominated possession until the 3rd goal - after that, there was only one winner. As others have pointed out, Cork need Cadogan and O'Leary back in defence - Miskella and Canty are both injury prone 30-somethings, so they may have to do without those two. Cork will get stronger as the year goes on, but they are becoming increasingly reliant on Donnacha O'Connor up front. I wouldn't have thanked you for him a couple of years ago, but he has improved immensely, and is now the key man in their attack.

As for the Dubs, well, keep Bernard Brogan fit and they could have a long summer; an injury to him, and it is likely to be a short championship. That is not to say that they don't have some other promising players, because they do, but the entire system is built to take advantage of BB's scoring threat.

Of the side that played on Saturday night, Hubbard, Casey and Bastick will never be good enough. Murray, Flynn, Paddy Andrews and McManamin have a lot of improving to do, but are young. I like McCarthy, although he looks a bit light for CHB. Perhaps he could play on the wing, with Cian O'Sullivan in the centre come summer. Rory O'Carroll's return is also vital.

I agree with Jayo on Alan Brogan - I was never a huge fan, and I can easily see what Gilroy doesn't like about him. A reasonable footballer, certainly, but nothing more than that.

Overall, a good night for the Dubs, and encouraging signs for the next couple of years. (So long as BB stays fit!)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:52 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I have to say its great to have a player of the calibre of Bernard Brogan in a blue shirt - at last we have a lad who I'd pay in to see on his own. He was sublime on Saturday - always making it look easy. He had a hand in al three goals and his flicked pass for the first was class. He also scored a couple of points that we just awesome. It was a good performance but I am not convinced by some lads. McManamon - the goal apart was poor I thought. Sean Murray at FB has a lot to learn at this level. I also thought Paul Flynn had a shocker and O'Gara has to learn to distribute the ball quicker. As usual Alan Brogan did enough to annoy me too in just 15 mins!

Cluxton made a couple of vital stops - though we were eat on his kickouts for a lot of the second half. Others to impress were Casey, Lally, Cahill and McCarthy.

JC try to take some postives out of the game we beat Cork hand enough ,From 1-9 only cluxton and fitzsimons will start come the championship

To be honest i didn't think we could win any game with that back 6 -yet we have 2 wins its hard to believe
as for Alan Brogan their seems to be a lot of people driving an agenda about him not being good enough for Dublin now-which i believe is total rubbish..

If you look back to last years championship he got better by the game-he has sacrificed is own game to play a different role for giller system...The only thing lacking is his scoring rate which is probably 1 in 3 at the moment..

Tc maybe you need to look back on Dublin v Tyrone to see how average a player brogan is...He was the difference that day....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Tbh I haven't been impressed with AB for years now. He should be a leader with this team now. His football intelligence is seriously lacking.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote: His football intelligence is seriously lacking.

Which is why he Gilroy doesn't trust him. We have a virtually identical player in Martin Penrose - very fast, hard-working, average skill and no vision. Trouble is, lack of alternatives means that we can't afford to drop him.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 pm

After a positive start I thought Armagh would run away with the game against Mayo. Mayo however came back into the game and came close to winning it. Although Armagh arent out of the relegation battle just yet and with Kerry, Cork and Galway still to play its going to be tough.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:36 pm

If Monaghan beat Down on Saturday night and we beat Mayo then we are in the Final by my reckoning.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Dublin-Cork final
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Dublin-Cork final

Hard to see anything else at this stage alright. Would have been that last year too only for Cork letting Mayo beat them in the last game knowing that would ensure they got Mayo again in the Final .... Hope our lads remember that ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Kerry going nicely below radar-believe they might have an input in to this league yet Smile
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  jimbodub Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

Hard to see anything else at this stage alright. Would have been that last year too only for Cork letting Mayo beat them in the last game knowing that would ensure they got Mayo again in the Final .... Hope our lads remember that ...

Spot on.

jimbodub
jimbodub
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Dublin
Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:37 am

Down beat monaghon very handy last night.. Poorest mon have looked all year... Words dogfight comes to mind..
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Jesus this is some game between the Dubs and Mayo. 7 goals and only 42 min gone!!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 pm

RMDrive wrote:Jesus this is some game between the Dubs and Mayo. 7 goals and only 42 min gone!!
#

Dublin are in a class of their own at the moment.

They are the CREAM.

Armagh
Cork
Kerry
Monaghan
Mayo

Nobody can stop them.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Jesus this is some game between the Dubs and Mayo. 7 goals and only 42 min gone!!
#

Dublin are in a class of their own at the moment.

They are the CREAM.

Armagh
Cork
Kerry
Monaghan
Mayo

Nobody can stop them.

on todays showing Loyal i wouldnt be too sure to go so far in front and find themselves level with 10 minutes or so to go couldnt sit will with Gilroy tonight, Mayos defence was bad but by god Dublins was every bit as bad - if Mayo forward shad taken their goal chances it could have been a different result altogether.

That said the Dubs didnt buckle when the onslaught duly arrived so at least something can be said for that, in years gone by they'd have buckled and been beaten.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:22 pm

bocerty wrote:[on todays showing Loyal i wouldnt be too sure to go so far in front and find themselves level with 10 minutes or so to go couldnt sit will with Gilroy tonight, Mayos defence was bad but by god Dublins was every bit as bad - if Mayo forward shad taken their goal chances it could have been a different result altogether.

That said the Dubs didnt buckle when the onslaught duly arrived so at least something can be said for that, in years gone by they'd have buckled and been beaten.

Merely an experimental Dublin selection out today. Three of last years champo team on the starting 15 goes to show the strength in depth they possess. No BB, no O'Gara either, yet they bang up an impressive total.

The remaining 31 contenders might as well throw their collective caps at it before it even starts. Dublin are nail-ons for Sam.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next