GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Division 1

+8
emmetryan
RMDrive
Gaa_lover
Boxtyeater
OMAR
bocerty
Parouisa
Thomas Clarke
12 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

NFL Division 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL Division 1

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:16 pm

bocerty wrote:i note that Kerry manager Fitzmaurice is still playing for his club Finuge who are now through to an All Ireland Club final where they will meet Tyrone side Cookstown, who won the title 2 years ago.

I wonder if this will have a negative effect on Kerry's preparations for the league?

I hope its as absorbing and sporting a tie as last years Junior semi between clubs from the same counties ..... affraid
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm

A few thoughts on the weekend's games:

Dublin v Cork: A very open game with some lovely scores from both sides. Dublin have some talented young players, although I'm not sure how ready they'll all be for this summer (McCafferty looked excellent going forward, but he was brushed aside a couple of times). A couple of them didn't look good enough, including Mannion at corner forward, but some will make it. Cork's openness in defence, combined with them clearly not being as fit/fast as Dublin made this game very one sided. Cork have lots of good footballers, but lack leadership at both ends of the field. Aidan Walsh and Kerrigan are fine footballers, but no-one is taking charge of things.

Kildare v Donegal: Donegal have 5 key players, and only 1 of them played the majority of this game (Murphy). Unsurprisingly given that Donegal didn't play in the McKenna Cup, Kildare were sharper and their quick young players casued lots of problems. Niall Kelly and, to a lesser degree, Daniel Flynn looked good, but they still have problems in midfield and an over-reliance on John Doyle for scores (Seanie Johnson was very poor). Donegal will be a completely different prospect in a couple of months, but Michael Murphy is already picking up where he left off in September. He was outstanding, and seems to love Croke Park.

Mayo v Kerry: I only saw the 2nd half of this, and it was a horror show for the Kingdom. Mayo weren't great, but they at least moved the ball well. The Kerry selection wasn't as weak as some have made out - I counted 5 of their most established 7 defenders, 2 of their best 3 midfielders, and probably 4 out of their first 8-9 forwards. In other words, they had a dozen of their championship match day 20 players.

Down v Tyrone: Dreadful refereeing put a dampner on a decent and competitive game. A good away win for Tyrone, and they dominated the 2nd half. Down were poor, and had nothing on the bench. Their first choice 15 is no better than reasonable, and they don't have the reserves to match any of the other sides in division 1. They will struggle to stay up.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm

didnt see all of the games TC but wouldnt disagree with an awful lot of what you say.

How do you think Tyrone will fair against Mayo this weekend? I was chatting to Stephen O'Neill this morning and he is in confident mood ahead of the game.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Parouisa wrote:
bocerty wrote:i note that Kerry manager Fitzmaurice is still playing for his club Finuge who are now through to an All Ireland Club final where they will meet Tyrone side Cookstown, who won the title 2 years ago.

I wonder if this will have a negative effect on Kerry's preparations for the league?

I hope its as absorbing and sporting a tie as last years Junior semi between clubs from the same counties ..... affraid

they need to get the segregation sorted before the game P you know those Kerry folk dont like mixing with us Tyronies
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 pm

bocerty wrote:
How do you think Tyrone will fair against Mayo this weekend? I was chatting to Stephen O'Neill this morning and he is in confident mood ahead of the game.

Aye, Stevie is looking a lot more in the mood than he has for a long time.

As for Mayo, that will be tough. Over the last 2 years they have 2 provincial titles (we have none), an AI final and semi final appearance (we have none), and they have been in division 1 in both years (we were in division 2). Oh, and we have a 300 mile round trip. The point I'm making is that they will rightly be favourites, but I think we will be very competitive. It's a good early test.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 am

We have Down in Ballybofey on Sat evening and I think it's important that we get 2 points from it. Looking forward to my first game of the year (Mayo- Kerry doesn't really count)!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 am

RMDrive wrote:We have Down in Ballybofey on Sat evening and I think it's important that we get 2 points from it. Looking forward to my first game of the year (Mayo- Kerry doesn't really count)!

Based on both sides opening performances, Donegal will win this.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:We have Down in Ballybofey on Sat evening and I think it's important that we get 2 points from it. Looking forward to my first game of the year (Mayo- Kerry doesn't really count)!

Based on both sides opening performances, Donegal will win this.

and they will win it easily - a margin of 8 points or more.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

[quote="Thomas Clarke"]A few thoughts on the weekend's games:

Kildare v Donegal: Donegal have 5 key players, and only 1 of them played the majority of this game (Murphy). Unsurprisingly given that Donegal didn't play in the McKenna Cup, Kildare were sharper and their quick young players casued lots of problems. Niall Kelly and, to a lesser degree, Daniel Flynn looked good, but they still have problems in midfield and an over-reliance on John Doyle for scores (Seanie Johnson was very poor). Donegal will be a completely different prospect in a couple of months, but Michael Murphy is already picking up where he left off in September. He was outstanding, and seems to love Croke Park.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Murphy certainly seems to be in a rich vein of form having wintered without any injury for the first time in a few years. Hopefully its not a case of peaking 9 months too early !

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 pm

that Down team are abysmal, they gave Donegal a game for 35 minutes and then never showed up in the 2nd half at all, going some 30 odd minutes without scoring. If you money on them to go down i hope the bookie had paid up already!!!!

It was men against boys stuff at times!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:06 pm

RMDrive wrote:
a Down team that was without some of their better players....All in all an average performance that was good enough to beat an average Down team.

They were without a few of their big men, but I agree with you then Down are an average side. Like they did against Tyrone & Monaghan in their last 2 games, Down started quickly, using their pace and mobility to build an early lead. However, as in those other games, their lack of strength told when they began to slow. Down have no subs (you can argue that they barely have a top level first 15), and unless they win at home next time out (against Cork), this lack of quality in the squad should see them in division 2 next year.

Donegal look more competitive than I thought they would at this time of year. They will continue to improve, and in Michael Murphy they have the best forward in Ireland at present. (You could also also that Durcan, both McGees, Lacey, Gallagher and McHugh are among the best at their positions also.)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Bit behind on my columns this weekend, but at least I got to wear a waistcoat last night. Anyhoo, here's my tactical take on Donegal's win over Down. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:05 pm

I've put up a video analysing Tomás O'Connor's role in Kildare's two goals last night for anyone interested [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 am

I've put together video analysis of Dublin's goal against Kerry here for anyone interested [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 am

Great result for Tyrone. Four points up with 4 minutes to go it looked like we were home and dry but Mayo had other ideas.

A well taken goal along with 3 points suddenly put us two behind going into injury time. And it looked like we had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!!!! But another twist in the story saw us awarded a penalty (some might say it was soft) and despite having watched it several times i am not sure what the penalty was awarded for, was it the corner back clipping his heels or the keeper taking him out after the ball had been played?????

Anyway with our regular penalty taker off the field it was left to the captain to dispatch the penalty with a certain amount of confidence, it was an all or nothing penalty so fair play to Stevie under that pressure.

I felt our problems in the last few minutes were as much our own doing as anything, we were making far too many changes and bringing on too many 'rookies' when what we needed was experienced cool heads to close the game out.

Young Clarke had a good game and good to see Justin McMahon coming through another game largely unscathed. All in all a good two points for us at a venue we haven't had much success.

Only one away game left with 4 at home.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 am

As I predicted Tyrone doing much better than even their own would have thought and two more wins should see a semi spot - eminently achievable. One observation is that while Cav is moving well he is nowhere near C'ship 'shape'. He is carrying a fair bit and would not last 80 mins of C'ship heat football in his current state.

After two rounds I would summarise as follows:

Tyrone: Taking the League fairly seriously as a prep for 26 May. MH will take anything that comes out of it (a few wins, semi even - or more) as a bonus.

Kildare: Going for this while also blooding young lads. Still look short to me but are scoring goals. As ever though I don't rate them - though they wil make semis and maybe even beyond.

Cork: Have won the last 4 leagues and disappointed in last 2 Champos - easy to see where the focus will be. Are only interested in staying up.

Kerry: Are definitely in a bit of trouble and if the pressure and heat builds on Fitzmaurice it will be hard to shake off come C'ship. They still have quality - most of whom are a year older. Can't see going down but need a win - soon.

Down: Poor team and definitely going south. Not even Bluearmy could save them.

Donegal: Will build as rounds 5, 6 and 7 approach but all eyes on 26 May. Will do more than enough to stay up and may even make semi - which I doubt they want at all. Would be backing against them in a semi!!

Mayo: Continue to build on last season. Will be interested in making last 4 - and beyond IMO. Horan will be keen to get the winning mentality embedded. Especially now with Leitrim coming to the fore in Connacht .... Rolling Eyes

Dublin: Some serious stuff going on here. BB on fire. I reckon Jim has said to lads 'there's the jerseys, make your case'. They could go a long way in this and yet some of them may not see a Champo jersey!

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 am

How i see it going.

Dublin 10pts
Tyrone 10pts
Kildare 8pts
Donegal 8pts
Cork 6pts
Kerry 6pts
Mayo 5pts
Down 3pts

Semi finals

Dublin v Donegal
Tyrone v Kildare

Final

Dublin v Kildare (winners the dubs)

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 am

Hi guys,

As the league is back, I've put together a preview of Dublin and Mayo [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am

Am expecting a bit of revenge this Saturday night .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 am

Dublin now have a run of 4 home games against Mayo, Kildare, Tyrone and Down. Despite them being in Croke Park, I think that these 4 games will be better tests than what was provided by Kerry & Cork. The Munster giants are virtually guaranteed a place in the Championship last 12 this year, and this has shown in their poor fitness levels. The remaining games will therefore pit the Dubs against sides who should do a better job of matching them for pace and fitness.

The 3 week gap will also have been a bit of a leveller so, although they've been very impressive so far, I expect that we'll have a much better idea of what the Dubs have to offer a month from now.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Dublin now have a run of 4 home games against Mayo, Kildare, Tyrone and Down.

Dublin have a run of four away games now - none in Parnell Park. Crying or Very sad

I think there is a real battle in the Dublin dressing room now to get on the Championship panel which can only be good. I think the wide open spaces of Croke Park - though not as familiar as our home turf of Parnell Park - suit the football Dublin are playing. In the O'Byrne final Kildare certainly matched us for fitness and hunger - but that's what comes from winning nothing. I expect us to take at least 6/8, beating Mayo and Down and at least one of the other two.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Parouisa wrote: I expect us to take at least 6/8, beating Mayo and Down and at least one of the other two.

You'd expect that, but I think that the games will start to be a bit tighter and more competitive than what you've had in the first 2 rounds. Mayo aren't a bad outfit, and they usually play well against Dublin.

From a Tyrone perspective, I'd be hoping for a win on Sunday, as it would all but secure our place in division 1 for next year. It would also leave us 1 win from the playoffs, which would be nice to make (like Dublin, when you are trying to find your best team, it's great to get an extra competitive match or 2).

Tyrone v Donegal will be a very tough game. While it obviously won't be at championship level, Tyrone in particular will be very keen to lay down a marker, while the champs won't want to find themselves in a relegation battle. I think it will be tough and hard, and a good boost for the winner with the championship only 12 weeks away. I expect both sides to field strong teams.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote: I expect us to take at least 6/8, beating Mayo and Down and at least one of the other two.

You'd expect that, but I think that the games will start to be a bit tighter and more competitive than what you've had in the first 2 rounds. Mayo aren't a bad outfit, and they usually play well against Dublin.

From a Tyrone perspective, I'd be hoping for a win on Sunday, as it would all but secure our place in division 1 for next year. It would also leave us 1 win from the playoffs, which would be nice to make (like Dublin, when you are trying to find your best team, it's great to get an extra competitive match or 2).

Tyrone v Donegal will be a very tough game. While it obviously won't be at championship level, Tyrone in particular will be very keen to lay down a marker, while the champs won't want to find themselves in a relegation battle. I think it will be tough and hard, and a good boost for the winner with the championship only 12 weeks away. I expect both sides to field strong teams.

be a bit of shadow boxing going on TC, some are saying neither team will want to declare their full hand at this early stage but i think they know each other that well that that notion is a bit pointless.

I predict a Tyrone win by the slightest of margins
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

bocerty wrote:some are saying neither team will want to declare their full hand at this early stage but i think they know each other that well that that notion is a bit pointless.

I predict that whoever loses the league match will be pointless ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi guys,

Tactical preview of Kildare and Kerry now live
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]