GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kerry GT News

+18
bocerty
mugsys_barber
Parouisa
GAA-Fan
hipster 2
RMDrive
ollie
Podger
OMAR
The Puke
3inarow08
Jayo Cluxton
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
long.dub.glic
Boxtyeater
mullins
Real Kerry Fan
22 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Kerry GT News - Page 9 Empty Re: Kerry GT News

Post  champers Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
watched it on tv and as it happened i remarked to myself that he had been 'taken out' havent seen anything to change my mind since.

It was a clumsy last ditch tackle dont think the player meant to do that amount of harm to him but at the same time he wasnt holding back either.

It's very disappointing, especially for the Gooch and Kerry fans.  We've seen it year after year in Tyrone with Stevie O'Neill - you finish the year wondering 'What if…?'

O'neill has being finished for years once he retired from the Tyrone panel and came back to play a part in the final that was is swan song,Very similar player to mossy had everything bar pace

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 pm

champers wrote:
O'neill has being finished for years once he retired from the Tyrone panel and came back to play a part in the final that was is swan song,Very similar player to mossy had everything bar pace

Are you joking? O'Neill was a flying machine when he was young. He was on fire last spring, playing his best football since 2005, but never recovered from his injury before the league final. He wasn't able to train all summer, and really should not have been playing at all.

If I was comparing O'Neill to a Dub, it would be Bernard Brogan. Strong, fast, good off either side, shoots on sight. O'Neill would have better vision though.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:

Are you joking?  O'Neill was a flying machine when he was young.  He was on fire last spring, playing his best football since 2005, but never recovered from his injury before the league final.  He wasn't able to train all summer, and really should not have been playing at all.

If I was comparing O'Neill to a Dub, it would be Bernard Brogan.  Strong, fast, good off either side, shoots on sight.  O'Neill would have better vision though.

Good player not a great player WILL he go down as one of the tyrone greats not so sure

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Give credit where it's due Champers.....O'Neill was top notch. You always felt a buzz when he got possession because you knew something was going to happen.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Give credit where it's due Champers.....O'Neill was top notch. You always felt a buzz when he got possession because you knew something was going to happen.

Im not saying he wasn't but he has being finished since he retired back in 08 he made a come back as a cameo sub in the final,what has he done since a few nice points in the league what has he done in championship football nothing the legs were gone.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:01 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
champers wrote:

Are you joking?  O'Neill was a flying machine when he was young.  He was on fire last spring, playing his best football since 2005, but never recovered from his injury before the league final.  He wasn't able to train all summer, and really should not have been playing at all.

If I was comparing O'Neill to a Dub, it would be Bernard Brogan.  Strong, fast, good off either side, shoots on sight.  O'Neill would have better vision though.

Good player not a great player WILL he go down as one of the tyrone greats not so sure

He'd be a great in terms of Tyrone football but, in a History of the GAA context, I'd agree that I'd stop short of using the term 'great'. Then again, I'm pretty stingy with that word, and probably wouldn't be applying it to the Brogans either (though Bernard and O'Neill have had exceptional/great individual years).

For me, the all-time greats from Tyrone would be Eugene McKenna, Frank McGuigan and Peter Canavan. Iggy Jones could well be in there too. Though not as gifted as the others, Brian Dooher would probably deserve to be considered. Sean Cavanagh will be there by the time his career is over.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I'm not having a dig at O'Neill as a person or player,i liked the way he played the game but IMO he was never the same player after he retired and came back in 08

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 pm

champers wrote:I'm not having a dig at O'Neill as a person  or player,i liked the way he played the game but IMO he was never the same player after he retired and came back in 08

He was never the same after 2005.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down