GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rugby Thread

+20
ormond lad
Parouisa
mossbags
Real Kerry Fan
RMDrive
North Side Gael
Grenvile
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
redhandman
SamiPremier08
OMAR
patrique
mullins
Boxtyeater
black&white
hurlingguru
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
Jayo Cluxton
24 posters

Page 13 of 26 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 26  Next

Go down

The Rugby Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 pm

I personally do not think that ROG is faster than David Humphries, the pace humphries had was incredible. Comparing the two I would say that ROG overall is a better player than what DH was even though there were times when ROG's kicking would be costly not that long ago.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm

ormond lad wrote:
North Side Gael wrote:Great to see the munster men have a selective memory, there whole reason for getting ROG in over humphries was that humphries was slower - as for being a coward of a player the other side of that argument was the David Humphries could actually play the game and was tough in the Tackle, in comparison to ROG.

Yes P i supported Ulster rugby most of my life, i always support the 9 counties at anything. Tommy Bowe due back here next year - automatic down grade on the Irish team for him then!
I cant particularly remember why ROG was picked ahead of Humph consistently when he did...... Maybe he was the better player

Both Ian and David Humph have been known for being awful tacklers and shying away at stages from some of their defensive duties.
You've the wrong idea of ROG, he's one of the bravest tacklers you'll see on a pitch, always one of the lightest players on the pitch and has awful technique at tackling and regularly lets himself get run over yet gets his man down eventually.

ROG eventually became the better player(much better) when he found his feet at international level

I would disagree given that at the time Davids side of the argument was that he was the more complete player, which looking back i would agree with. I think could be wrong here that, Humphries still has a better record at the world cup where the pressure is highest, like i say could be wrong on that one but worth looking up, i remember something about it during the world cup.

On a another note, i wonder who from leinster and munster will take tommy bowes place now on the irish side?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 pm

North Side Gael wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
North Side Gael wrote:Great to see the munster men have a selective memory, there whole reason for getting ROG in over humphries was that humphries was slower - as for being a coward of a player the other side of that argument was the David Humphries could actually play the game and was tough in the Tackle, in comparison to ROG.

Yes P i supported Ulster rugby most of my life, i always support the 9 counties at anything. Tommy Bowe due back here next year - automatic down grade on the Irish team for him then!
I cant particularly remember why ROG was picked ahead of Humph consistently when he did...... Maybe he was the better player

Both Ian and David Humph have been known for being awful tacklers and shying away at stages from some of their defensive duties.
You've the wrong idea of ROG, he's one of the bravest tacklers you'll see on a pitch, always one of the lightest players on the pitch and has awful technique at tackling and regularly lets himself get run over yet gets his man down eventually.

ROG eventually became the better player(much better) when he found his feet at international level

I would disagree given that at the time Davids side of the argument was that he was the more complete player, which looking back i would agree with. I think could be wrong here that, Humphries still has a better record at the world cup where the pressure is highest, like i say could be wrong on that one but worth looking up, i remember something about it during the world cup.

On a another note, i wonder who from leinster and munster will take tommy bowes place now on the irish side?
Your last sentence, Laughing
Both have/had big weaknesses. Dont think Humphs was nearer the complete player, Humphs could have more points at world cup I dont know

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 am

I didn't say Sexton played badly did I, I commented on him missing another kick, which, if you ask me, is becoming a worryingly regular occurrence. Great player but rubbish goal kicker which is proving to be costly on quite a few occasions.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 am

Sexton a rubbish goal kicker??? Crazy!

Tommy Bowe may well keep the jersey even when he does go to Ulster.

So NSG (when you get the Ulster chip off the shoulder, Very Happy) do you not think there is a bias against Connacht? Given that they have no players on the XV?

Ulster have three players on the team - two fully deserved, Ferris and Best! Trimble IMO is not good enough and its nopthiogn to do with getting an extended run (btw Earls not good enough either and D'arcy has had his day too). Tom Court is on the bench - another correct call.

I watch a lot of Ulster in the Rabo - so who else should be on the team NSG? Paddy Wallace? Love to know what you think - bearing in mind that Sth Africans can't play for Ireland ... Twisted Evil
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Parouisa wrote:Sexton a rubbish goal kicker??? Crazy!

Tommy Bowe may well keep the jersey even when he does go to Ulster.

So NSG (when you get the Ulster chip off the shoulder, Very Happy) do you not think there is a bias against Connacht? Given that they have no players on the XV?

Ulster have three players on the team - two fully deserved, Ferris and Best! Trimble IMO is not good enough and its nopthiogn to do with getting an extended run (btw Earls not good enough either and D'arcy has had his day too). Tom Court is on the bench - another correct call.

I watch a lot of Ulster in the Rabo - so who else should be on the team NSG? Paddy Wallace? Love to know what you think - bearing in mind that Sth Africans can't play for Ireland ... Twisted Evil
Off course TB will keep the jersey.. (cant believe this is being discussed)
Trimble is good enough. Not in the greatest of form but is most def internat standard. Earls is a top class winger but is not a 13 and should be left on the wing where he can best utilise his positive atributes
Court can only cover loosehead from the bench a bit like any other prop(can only cover 1 side) as nearly anytime ive seen him play tighthead he has been well dominated

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:30 pm

ormond lad wrote:Off course TB will keep the jersey.. (cant believe this is being discussed)

It's not really .....

I think Trimble has been poor. He has had a good run on the wing now and hasn't delivered and some of his defensive positioning and tackling has been poor. Earls is certainly not a centre and would be better on the wing - though his size bothers me. If you move him there I presume you drop Trimble - as you would hardly drop TB?

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Parouisa wrote:
ormond lad wrote:Off course TB will keep the jersey.. (cant believe this is being discussed)

It's not really .....

I think Trimble has been poor. He has had a good run on the wing now and hasn't delivered and some of his defensive positioning and tackling has been poor. Earls is certainly not a centre and would be better on the wing - though his size bothers me. If you move him there I presume you drop Trimble - as you would hardly drop TB?

I prob should have included an Wink after that sentence
Earls has done alrightish in the centre, I agree with you that he is a top class wing, and that he could cover full back better than 13, but he is a top class 11 who should play as an 11. Size of earls isnt a real big issue, its his positional awareness at times when he plays 13 thats the problem.
I wouldnt drop TB. Without BOD, id maybe keep trimble starting and move Bowe to 13

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

ormond lad wrote:Earls has done alrightish in the centre, I agree with you that he is a top class wing

I never said that. I'd be more of the opinion that if you are gonna use Earls then it has to be on wing but I wouldn't be his biggest fan though he finishes well. Would not move Bowe - he is a winger and knows how to finish - moving a backline around to that extent would be bluntening one of your sharpest weapons (TB) and (with no disprespect) I'm not sure Tommy has the smarts or tactical awareness to play centre.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Parouisa wrote:
ormond lad wrote:Earls has done alrightish in the centre, I agree with you that he is a top class wing

I never said that. I'd be more of the opinion that if you are gonna use Earls then it has to be on wing but I wouldn't be his biggest fan though he finishes well. Would not move Bowe - he is a winger and knows how to finish - moving a backline around to that extent would be bluntening one of your sharpest weapons (TB) and (with no disprespect) I'm not sure Tommy has the smarts or tactical awareness to play centre.
Bowe has played 13 before, and done quite well there. He is a bigger man and can cope better defensively than earls. Earls is a super finisher(12 trys in 28 irish appearances which is a fairly good record) and without BOD id prefer to have earls at 11 with Bowe at 13 as we dont have any real options to play 13

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:38 pm

At this moment in time Trimble is in the team on merit and rightly so. He is a better winger than any of the alternatives right now.

This may not be the case in 6 months time when Fitzgerald and O'Driscoll are back but he is a better winger than the likes of Zebo, Gilroy, McFadden, Dave Kearney et al. By the same token Earls and Darcy are our best centre combo at present, I can't say I agree with ormond lad about Bowe at 13, on the odd occasion he played there for the Ospreys he was nothing more than adequate, he is a superb right winger and should be left there
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Team for Scotland

15 - Rob Kearney
14 - Tommy Bowe
13 - Keith Earls
12 - Gordon D'Arcy
11 - Andrew Trimble
10 - Jonathan Sexton
9 - Eoin Reddan
1 - Cian Healy
2 - Rory Best (capt)
3 - Mike Ross
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan
5 - Donnacha Ryan
6 - Stephen Ferris
7 - Sean O'Brien
8 - Jamie Heaslip

Replacements:
16 - Sean Cronin
17 - Tom Court
18 - Mike McCarthy
19 - Peter O'Mahony
20 - Tomas O'Leary
21 - Ronan O'Gara
22 - Fergus McFadden

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 pm

I wouldnt be in any hurry to change to much, we just achieved our second best result in paris in 30 years the other day, lets not get carried away the french are still a force and world cup finalists and when they through everything at us they couldnt make the line.

Keep it as it is.

Hope rory gets captaincy this weekend.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:47 pm

So is Trimble in the team on merit or cause there is no-one else to play there? I think he has been very disappointing.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Parouisa wrote:So is Trimble in the team on merit or cause there is no-one else to play there? I think he has been very disappointing.

He is there on merit as he is the best man for the left wing position of all the current options for it
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

The Puke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:So is Trimble in the team on merit or cause there is no-one else to play there? I think he has been very disappointing.

He is there on merit as he is the best man for the left wing position of all the current options for it

Has he impressed you?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Parouisa wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Has he impressed you?

He was excellent at the World Cup and has been solid enough in the Six Nations thus far. Wouldn't be dropping him for the likes of McFadden or Zebo
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm

I think he's been poor enough. I know it's hard for a winger as sometimes they don't see a lot of ball but some of his defensive positioning and options when in possession have been below par. Agree its too soon for Zebo but think Trimble has failed to make the postion his own when he had a great chance to do so.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Parouisa wrote:I think he's been poor enough. I know it's hard for a winger as sometimes they don't see a lot of ball but some of his defensive positioning and options when in possession have been below par. Agree its too soon for Zebo but think Trimble has failed to make the postion his own when he had a great chance to do so.

Serious gripe with trimble there fella, especially when most are saying hes doing well!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Parouisa wrote:I think he's been poor enough. I know it's hard for a winger as sometimes they don't see a lot of ball but some of his defensive positioning and options when in possession have been below par. Agree its too soon for Zebo but think Trimble has failed to make the postion his own when he had a great chance to do so.

Wouldn't dispute your last point and as I said when O'Driscoll returns he will be under pressure with Earls likely to move to the wing, or even the return to form of Luke Fitz could also see him being in danger of losing his spot
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Good start to weekend with wins for u20s, women and club international teams. Hopefully tomorrows another win and we can head in good form to twickers next week

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:26 am

ormond lad wrote:Good start to weekend with wins for u20s, women and club international teams. Hopefully tomorrows another win and we can head in good form to twickers next week
[img][/img]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:51 pm

We need to have a serious chat with Paddy O'Brien cos we are getting pinged off the park. Good enough win this evening - in fairness to Trimble he was a lot better today and took his try well. Ferris was animal but I thought Kearney was MotM - as I did last week. A fair effort considering the 6 day turnaround and the injury problems.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Parouisa wrote:We need to have a serious chat with Paddy O'Brien cos we are getting pinged off the park. Good enough win this evening - in fairness to Trimble he was a lot better today and took his try well. Ferris was animal but I thought Kearney was MotM - as I did last week. A fair effort considering the 6 day turnaround and the injury problems.
Donnacha Ryan was most deservedly MotM. Super game though Fez, Healy both were super. Donnacha Ryan showed why he should have started in earlier games

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 pm

The glaring weakness in Kearney's game was there for all to see again today. The man is unable to offload once he is tackled. He is a fine player in great form but it is a huge drawback to his game
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 26 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 26  Next