GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schools rugby

+3
SamiPremier08
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
7 posters

Go down

Schools rugby Empty Schools rugby

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Tempers flare as Clongowes prevail

LEINSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP QUARTER-FINALS: Clongowes 32 Pres Bray 18: THE SIGHT of an ambulance entering the field of play is never a nice one, but it occurred just 10 minutes after the final whistle at Lakelands after Clongowes had kept their hopes of a Senior and Junior Cup double alive with a strong display. Tempers flared late on, with the result already decided, and two brawls erupted. After the game, Pres Bray number eight Cormac O’Donoghue was taken to hospital for treatment.
The events marred what had been an exciting encounter.

I believe that this young lad was the victim of an eye gouging incident. I have no doubt if it happened at a GAA game it would have had more 'prominent' media coverage.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Schools rugby Empty Re: Schools rugby

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Poor young lad. Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Have some people lost all respect for each other? To resort to violence is an incredible loss of human dignity. To resort to violence over a match, with the result being an ambulance and an injured person is something beyond crazy.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery, and I hope the people who started the attack get dealt with speedily too.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:02 pm

**** that done the gouging should get his own two gouged to see how he likes it - disgraceful act of cowardice - hope the lad is ok.

I think this game was on Sentanta the other day (was Johnny Sextons younger brother playing in this game???) - they pitch they played on was pure clay not a blade of grass to be seen, i didnt watch all of it as i turned over to TG4 to watch Tipp lose a match that according to Sami they should have won Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:47 pm

bocerty wrote:**** that done the gouging should get his own two gouged to see how he likes it - disgraceful act of cowardice - hope the lad is ok.

I think this game was on Sentanta the other day (was Johnny Sextons younger brother playing in this game???) - they pitch they played on was pure clay not a blade of grass to be seen, i didnt watch all of it as i turned over to TG4 to watch Tipp lose a match that according to Sami they should have won Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

EXPECTED to win, expected Rolling Eyes
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Tempers flare as Clongowes prevail

LEINSTER SCHOOLS JUNIOR CUP QUARTER-FINALS: Clongowes 32 Pres Bray 18: THE SIGHT of an ambulance entering the field of play is never a nice one, but it occurred just 10 minutes after the final whistle at Lakelands after Clongowes had kept their hopes of a Senior and Junior Cup double alive with a strong display. Tempers flared late on, with the result already decided, and two brawls erupted. After the game, Pres Bray number eight Cormac O’Donoghue was taken to hospital for treatment.

I believe that this young lad was the victim of an eye gouging incident. I have no doubt if it happened at a GAA game it would have had more 'prominent' media coverage.

How dare you speak ill of the most pretentious sports competition of them all! Schools rugby Icon_razz

I totally agree, the media always likes to make little of ugly incidents involving Irish rugby "Ah sure he's usually a grand lad" "his hand slipped" "he was concussed Schools rugby Icon_eek " etc...

Tis' strange.

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Sebastian wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Tempers flare as Clongowes prevail

How dare you speak ill of the most pretentious sports competition of them all! Schools rugby Icon_razz

I totally agree, the media always likes to make little of ugly incidents involving Irish rugby "Ah sure he's usually a grand lad" "his hand slipped" "he was concussed Schools rugby Icon_eek " etc...

Tis' strange.

Yes a very little about the match in Bruff where a Shannon father entered the field to assault a Bruff player who ended up in hospital.Just a small article in the Indo. No mention of the IRFU being in crisis Schools rugby Icon_scratch
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:13 am

I love this old siege mentality, you see a lot of it up here. why some GAA people still have it I have no idea.

A JUNIOR schools cup match? Now if we were complaining about it getting coverage, as compared to say a JUNIOR colleges GAA game, I could understand.

But at least the incident was mentioned. The GAA game would not have been reported, at all.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 am

I don't think I have the siege mentality, at least I hope not!. I played the game for 6 years and apparently I'm still a member of the Leinster branch of the IRFU, so I'm just a much of a rugby follower as hurling.

I just don't like the way some of the Irish rugby fraternity try to excuse inexcusable behaviour as accidental etc.. when it clearly wasn't.

And considering the Leinster schools rugby competitions have extensive, coverage in the media with multiple paged sections in the broadsheets (also a few junior live TV games) I find it kind of surprising there wasn't more about this incident, considering its rarity (well that's my perception) in such a young age group.

I just reckon incidents like that should be highlighted (hence condemnation) by the media rather than being brushed aside, to show its out of order.

(After reading this back, I feel I'm turning into a ranter. I'll post it anyway! Schools rugby Icon_smile )

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 am

Newstalk this morning talking about violence in the GAA. Once again it is being portrayed as a GAA-only problem.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

RMDrive wrote:Newstalk this morning talking about violence in the GAA. Once again it is being portrayed as a GAA-only problem.

Violence in the GAA is a GAA problem.

I think.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:01 pm

I recently read an article in a regional paper where they gave a half page spread for some blow in bank managers son who was playing for Blackrock or Clongowes or whoever and not a mention of the couple of dozen born and bred local gassurs playing McRory cup Schools rugby Icon_evil

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 pm

RMDrive wrote:Newstalk this morning talking about violence in the GAA. Once again it is being portrayed as a GAA-only problem.

My young played both codes- Now he only plays rugby..When he plays rugby hes never involved in any incidents that the referee could see..but plenty in the scrum..

When he plays Gaa hes being involved in plenty incidents and he plays on the edge all the time..

From watching both codes- i know he knows he will get away with a lot more in Gaa than he would in Rugby and thats where the indiscipline starts.

The biggest problem in the Gaa- Is the fools that go to the matchs and just mouth off all the time from the sideline, thats the parents or the mouth piece from the clubs involved eradicate the mouth piece eradicate the problem..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down