GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meath vs Dublin

+10
johnnos bulls
JOLearysgloves
JimWexford
RMDrive
rich dublin
bocerty
mid-mon man
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
patrique
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Meath vs Dublin - Page 2 Empty Re: Meath vs Dublin

Post  mossbags Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:00 pm

mid-mon man wrote:Best price for Meath is 5/2, how much will you be puttng on that Loyal?

I'll be having some of that. Dublin are flaky as fook and Meath will invest everything they have in this match. Dublin might win regardless but at 5/2 they have to be opposed.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Thats hardly a vintage Dublin team thats been named. Can't see how anyone could be confident that its that much better than ours. Plus how many of them will have played in a game that even comes close to one of this magnititude. Dublin may well win but they are far from the certs everyone thinks they are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Ah I think the Dublin-Meath hype is just that. It's a bit like the Dublin-Kerry myth. Just cos it existed at one time doesn't mean it still does. We are not exactly Titans anymore and Meath certainly aren't either. If I was Gilroy I'd be treating this like a game against Louth. The rest is just media hype .......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Jayo - perhaps a stupid question but just how big a blow woul it be to Gilroy and co if Meath did win come Sunday.

The press would go to town on him in all probability and the Gilroy show could be over before it even began................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:03 pm

bocerty wrote:Jayo - perhaps a stupid question but just how big a blow woul it be to Gilroy and co if Meath did win come Sunday.

The press would go to town on him in all probability and the Gilroy show could be over before it even began................

Don't think so Boc. As you know there is a body of opinion that Dublin would be better off in the qualifiers anyway - but he would have to be given more time. He also has Mickey Whelan in the camp so there will be plenty of knowledge there and more than we've had in the last 4 years IMO!!

The blow it would be to me, personally - and no offence to Loyal, he well knows my thoughts on it - is that I don't rate Meath at all.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JOLearysgloves Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:06 pm

I actually think Gilroy is picking the right team, with one exception, that being McGee. All other non regulars are being given their chance. Can you do it against Meath? If you can do it against the Royals then there is a Dublin footballer in you. Players like Jayo, Cullen, Whelan are making way for the new lads and as controversial as it is, and some will see it as suicide, I applaud it. We have to start somwhere. And no better game and no better theatre to do it. If we were playing Laois or Louth and beat them by 15 points pulling up and those lads had stormers then they would be the next big thing, then they play Meath and its a totally different ball game, they are exposed and are written off ala Nolan/O'Shea in recent years. But throw them in at the deep end and test them straight away and see who deals with it.
The McGee thing tho puzzles me. Every other "newbie" is getting a chance to show what they can do. McGee has had chance after chance after chance and never did it consistently. Having him in there ahead of Whelan or Ryan, that to me is a big mistake. Anyone seen the bench? is is star studded? have the usual lads made the bench even? Still tho 15 mins to go game on a knife edge and Giller makes a treble substitution, on come Whelan Ryan and Cullen....not too shabby! And Mossys still doing stretches!!!
(last point, i would have started Cullen as a half forward with Flynn and Brogan)
JOLearysgloves
JOLearysgloves
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Dublin
Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:38 pm

its a fairly brave call by Gilroy and fair play to him in many ways - most new managers would have played it safe and gone with the old hands especially against your deadliest rivals.

it leaves Dublin with a strong bench which is were the game could be won and lost - that was a big factor in Tyrone Armagh game - in the heat guys tire very quickly so its important to have a good bench.

Cullen seems to be a bit of an enigma in Dublin - i have to say i do rate him - i am not so convinced about Brennan at CHB - i think he looks one of the most unorthodox footballers i have ever seen.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:56 pm

Paddy O'Rourke
Anthony Moyles
Kevin Reilly
Eoghan Harrington
Séamus Kenny
Niall McKeigue
Cormac McGuinness
Mark Ward
Nigel Crawford
Shane McAnarney
Stephen Bray (c)
Brian Meade
Brian Farrell
Caoimhín King
Cian Ward

That is the Meath team. I'd like to think we'll win but its going to be difficult! Niall McKeigue centre back, well lets just say, thats one place the Dubs will target. Apparantly, Moyles is going to pick up Alan Brogan, so hopefully he'll do well on him! Alan will probably kick two or three points but he shouln't run riot. Brayer at centre forward is a great move, he's a great ball player, he'll be at the centre of everything and if Brennan goes forward, well he won't get an inch off Brayer! I just hope he can re-capture his 07 form back in Croker. We don't have enough scoring forwards though, McAnarney and Meade are just there to make things awkward round the middle, they're not going to score. So Farrell and Ward will have to be flying. Between them, they can't miss any frees and will need to take every chance and half-chance. Possession shouldn't be a problem for us however as I expect us to do better than Dublin round the middle. Cindy and Wardy are in super form and with the wing backs and wing forwards picked we should sweep up all the breaks. The question is then converting that into scores. Its hard to see us winning unless everything falls into place, I won't be surprised if we do but I wouldn't be confident!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:12 am

Loyal - I know you don't rate him too highly but given (as you say) the lack of scoring power are you surprised Sheridan didn't get a start?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:20 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Loyal - I know you don't rate him too highly but given (as you say) the lack of scoring power are you surprised Sheridan didn't get a start?

Well I'd be more surprised his brother Brian didn't get the nod. Joe is a great club footballer and even League games he can be excellent but on the big stage, the head goes a bit. He does silly things and starts mis-kicking the ball and the like. Having said that, I imagine he'll be sprung from the bench at some stage.

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Kerry and the dubs should be delighted because prophet liam hayes has tipped cork and meath for the weekend...

I fancy meath anyway. Croke park is a home away from home for them now so dubs have no advantage there. I just see a lot of scoring potential within their ranks and too much inexperience with the dubs.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Meath on fire. 3 points down after 10 mins, their 5-3 up now with less than 20 mins on the clock. Has the makings of a cracker. 2 Dubs booked already
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Both teams look poor to be honest, fancy Kildare for Leinster. The stripes on the pitch are annoying me!

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Meath have lost the last 10 kick outs in a row!
What the fook are they at?
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Hate this booing sh!te.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:Both teams look poor to be honest, fancy Kildare for Leinster. The stripes on the pitch are annoying me!

The county jerseys are annoying me. Gayest I've ever seen
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:38 pm

That Davoren lad really looks the business for the Dubs
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:42 pm

11 points to 5 to the Dubs at HT. Meath had a good 10 mins between 10th and 20th mins when they got all their scores but have been played off the pitch by Dublin either side of that. Their midfield needs a serious overhaul if their gonna come back into this. O Rourke in goal might be a bit less predictable with his kick outs as well.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Great 45 by Ward.

Meath have another purple patch, Dubs only 2 up.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Ciaran Whelan warming up
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Jayo and Whelo on.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Cahill lucky to stay on the pitch, already on a yellow he clearly slapped some Meath a sly dig
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Limerick 1-10 Clare 1-08 in Munster, Clare closer than I would have thought
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Look like Davoren twisted his knee there. Could be out a while. Shame as he looked the part there today
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Massive score there from Farrell, 2points in it 57 mins played
mossbags
mossbags