GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath?

2 posters

Go down

Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath? Empty Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:52 pm

In this first round tie, I believe a combination of Dublin playing better than they actually are and Meath playing worse than they actually are, all combined to gift Dublin a victory that on the day, they deserved, but in the overall scheme of things, they did not.

OK so now I am a WUM.

But should Meath have taken Dublin? Well if Brian Farrell was fit, Stephen Bray could run and the team that took to Portlaoise had started, then yes I think we would have won by seven or eight points. When Mark Davoren went off, the Dublin attacking threat was nullified except for Alan Brogan who roasted an ageing Niall McKeigue. Brian Meade clearly feeling the effects of Brennan punch to his snout that went unpunished never got into it either and Peader Byrne and Joe Sheridan were only brought on with minutes remaining. Caoimhin King also struggled in a foreign role.

The Dublin forwards were put under a tremendous amount of pressure and as such were extremely wayward in front of goal. Up front Brian Farrell played well for a man that was only 50%. I still haven't mentioned the injury time furore and a disallowed Joe Sheridan point on the final whistle.

Overall, I believe Meath are a lot better side than Dublin but on the day, I will concede that the best did win. I suppose we will have to console ourselves with the fact that we are still in the championship (the Dubs are not) and that we possess a huge chance to progress further than them. But from a Royal perspective, this must go down as an opportunity that went abegging.

Back to top Go down

Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath? Empty Re: Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:58 pm

The better team on the day won. I do think however that Meath are a better equiped side for facing teams outside of Leinster.

Back to top Go down

Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath? Empty Re: Did Dublin play above themselves against Meath?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 pm

I would go along with that theory as well Sam.

But I would also add that I think Meath are a better team than Dublin. I cast my mind back to 2007 where Jimmy McKee handed Dublin a draw and yet the Dubs and non-Dubs have the audicity claim that due to this 5 in a row, Leinster is somehow weak? In my mind, it will only ever be a 3 in a row.

We don't know who would have won in 2007 had Meath been treated fairly.

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Ah now Loyal the history books will always show the Dubs won 5 in a row and to be fair it is a good achiement no matter how weak leinster is. Meath did give them a great game that day and probably should have beaten them. Anyway we will see on Sunday if Meath are better equiped for teams outside of leinster. I hope Meath win at least then the semi final might be worth watching.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Yeah we always rise our game against Meath. To have to peak so early in the season against the quality Meath provide regularly costs us dearly later in the season ...........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Touche
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down