GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meath vs Dublin

+10
johnnos bulls
JOLearysgloves
JimWexford
RMDrive
rich dublin
bocerty
mid-mon man
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
patrique
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Meath vs Dublin Empty Meath vs Dublin

Post  Guest Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Write it down people.......June 7th!

A date with Croke Park awaits.

What have the two great rivals got in store for us this time round?

1986 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1991 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1995 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2005 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2007 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2007 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 Meath 0-10 Dublin 0-08
1997 Meath 1-13 Dublin 1-10
1999 Meath 1-14 Dublin 0-12
2001 Meath 2-11 Dublin 0-14
2002 Meath 0-10 Dublin 2-11
2005 Meath 1-10 Dublin 1-12
2007 Meath 0-14 Dublin 1-11
2007 Meath 0-12 Dublin 0-16

TOTAL Meath 5-94 (109) Dublin 5-94 (109)......can't be split.

Will we get an aggregate winner on June 7?

The greatest event in GAA history comes to town in less than 2 months, the excitement is killing me.

Back to top Go down

Meath vs Dublin Empty Meath V Dublin

Post  patrique Sat May 02, 2009 11:48 pm

People from Antrim have already bought all the tickets Loyal, for the hurling before it.

You won't get in.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Meath vs Dublin Empty Re: Meath vs Dublin

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 am

patrique wrote:People from Antrim have already bought all the tickets Loyal, for the hurling before it.

You won't get in.

Ha ha P! I just hope there is a decent crowd in for the hurling - and I feel there might. As posted elseswhere I am really looking forward to this having being in Croker this evening for an unbelievable occasion!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Meath vs Dublin Empty * Meath vs Dublin

Post  patrique Wed May 06, 2009 12:18 am

I suspect Dublin will win the big one with something to spare.

However in the other game I fancy Meath. Last time I felt this strongly about Meath winning was in 1996 and we know what happened then.

If they can reproduce the form of 2007 when they destroyed Tyrone, I fancy then strongly.

Could be the best thing for the Dubs as I reckon they need to win a few qualifiers against non Leinster teams to build confidence.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed May 06, 2009 12:26 am

Dont tell loyal, (It might go to his head) but Ive an inkling for Meath meself in this one. Just feel their due a really big performence and this might well be it.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 am

I've said before too that I think Meath might have a big year in them. This should be a great game and will no doubt be very tight. However I did tip Kildare for Leinster in the "Winners 2009" thread as you can see, because I see them getting to the final anyway, while the other finalist should come from this game but I can't call a winner just now. Whoever comes out of this game though is very well placed to win Leinster.

As you say patrique a qualifier run could do Dublin the world of good but they'll not want to lose to their dearest neighbours.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 06, 2009 8:31 am

I also think Kildare could be a dark horse with McGeeney's influence now beginning to clearly show.

But I have to say I don't rate Meath at all and have had this debate with Loyal many times. Up front they are quite good but I don't rate their midfield at all and think Anthony Moyles is there only top class back. But I didn't rate tehm two years ago and they got a draw when Dublin were shocking first time out - which has been a Dublin problem over the years...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed May 06, 2009 11:52 am

Dublin might need a run in the qualifiers to get a monkey of their back but they'll hardly want to go into the qualifiers on the back of a defeat by their fiercest rivals. I reckon Dublin will win after a replay.

What would the chances be of getting tickets to that game??????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 06, 2009 11:55 am

bocerty wrote:Dublin might need a run in the qualifiers to get a monkey of their back but they'll hardly want to go into the qualifiers on the back of a defeat by their fiercest rivals. I reckon Dublin will win after a replay.

What would the chances be of getting tickets to that game??????

It shouldn't be too difficult Boc - there wasn't a full house the first day in 2007 - and that was before the recession! Sad
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 pm

how would a Tyrone jersey go down on the Hill Jayo? Laughing
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm

bocerty wrote:how would a Tyrone jersey go down on the Hill Jayo? Laughing

It would yeah ....... Razz Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Write it down people.......June 7th!

I have an idea how to split them Loyal. Simply start in 1995 and put in that result -

1995 Meath 1-08 Dublin 1-18

So now its

Meath 6-102 Dublin 6-112!

Problem solved - you're welcome! Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Wed May 06, 2009 4:14 pm

i actually think this is a game that the Dubs can afford to lose more than Meath, the Dubs have been so far ahead of the rest in Leinster for the last few years that there really is no challenge for them to win it again.

thus they may not ahve the same sort of fight that meath will have. the backdoor will do Dublin the world of good IMHO.

meath by 3 in hard game.
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed May 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Write it down people.......June 7th!

I have an idea how to split them Loyal. Simply start in 1995 and put in that result -

1995 Meath 1-08 Dublin 1-18

So now its

Meath 6-102 Dublin 6-112!

Problem solved - you're welcome! Razz

LOL. Good stuff JC. They might beat you on the pitch this summer but they'll never match your 'rithmitic skills!!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I also think Kildare could be a dark horse with McGeeney's influence now beginning to clearly show.

But I have to say I don't rate Meath at all and have had this debate with Loyal many times. Up front they are quite good but I don't rate their midfield at all and think Anthony Moyles is there only top class back. But I didn't rate tehm two years ago and they got a draw when Dublin were shocking first time out - which has been a Dublin problem over the years...

This post lost a lot of credibility when Kildare were quoted as being "dark horses". Unfortunetely, I read on and it got worse.

I am super confident that we will beat Dublin, Jayo. Dublin have regressed big time since 07, Meath have improved. And if anything Moyles is one of our weak links in the back line. Not since the days of Paddy Reynolds have I seen a more courageous player than Seamus Kenny. This man is a legend already in my book, any breaks round the middle and their his and if there is a wing forward out there who will best him bring him on. Cormac McGill, best corner back in Leinster, I'm not messing. Eoin Harrington is not far behind. Kevin Reilly is ok as is Moyles (although he's slowing a bit).

I likes the Dublin forwards but they will need to be good to beat these Meath backs.

Crawford and Ward with the wing forwards and backs that are around them are a match for anyone.

I'll tell a story. Last year at Royal Ascot, there was a horse called Takeover Target. I had waited for two months for him to run in this particular race. The day came and the money was down. I could not see him being beaten. Inside the last furlong, he looked the winner and next thing is he stopped to a walk. I couldn't believe it. He had injured himself and finished fourth.

Going into the Meath Dublin game, I feel the exact him about Meath as I did about Takeover Target that time and for Meath to get beat, it will take an upset of Takeover Target proportions. That is how confident I am.

And of bigger concern to me at this stage is the game against Westmeath in the semi final.

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm

Best price for Meath is 5/2, how much will you be puttng on that Loyal?
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2009 7:00 pm

I think there is a limit on the number of characters you can fit in one post, MMM.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2009 7:01 pm

In terms of players, Dublin. However, I say Meath will win an All-Ireland before them. Dublin don't seem to know what to do with their players. The talent is there but it's being wasted. They seem to get to cocky - like before the 2006 semi-final ( cheers ) They have confidence, ability and talent so I don't see why they haven't won an All-Ireland since 95. It's like they don't know how to use it. They start every year saying 'this is it' and the likes, start the Championship well but never persevere to the last hurdle. If they just focused on playing well and winning and stop always talking about getting to the final, I think they could do much better. Their expectations are too high and the pressure seems to be too much on them.

Meath on the other hand will win an All-Ireland before Dublin do again. They do have talent, imo not as much as Dublin, but they are able to keep calm and just play football. Also they're dog rough so that helps I suppose Mad Dublin are rough too but nothing compared to Meath.
If Dublin were to start the season just focusing solely on Leinster without the pressure of fans, they'd do it but until that happens it will be a long time before they win again.

To be honest I don't like either team. They're rough, they're style of football is generally negative and I don't have much time for either. Meath have been quite disappointing in recent years but I suspect that it will all change this year. I tip Meath to capture Leinster.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 am

LilMaighEo wrote:In terms of players, Dublin. However, I say Meath will win an All-Ireland before them. Dublin don't seem to know what to do with their players. The talent is there but it's being wasted. They seem to get to cocky - like before the 2006 semi-final ( cheers ) They have confidence, ability and talent so I don't see why they haven't won an All-Ireland since 95. It's like they don't know how to use it. They start every year saying 'this is it' and the likes, start the Championship well but never persevere to the last hurdle. If they just focused on playing well and winning and stop always talking about getting to the final, I think they could do much better. Their expectations are too high and the pressure seems to be too much on them.

Meath on the other hand will win an All-Ireland before Dublin do again. They do have talent, imo not as much as Dublin, but they are able to keep calm and just play football. Also they're dog rough so that helps I suppose Mad Dublin are rough too but nothing compared to Meath.
If Dublin were to start the season just focusing solely on Leinster without the pressure of fans, they'd do it but until that happens it will be a long time before they win again.

To be honest I don't like either team. They're rough, they're style of football is generally negative and I don't have much time for either. Meath have been quite disappointing in recent years but I suspect that it will all change this year. I tip Meath to capture Leinster.

Sorry but this is pure rubbish - full of generalisations and sweeping and incorrect old wives tales (truisms!) to be given any real thought. Dublin's style is negative??? Meath are rough?

It would be easy to go follow this post with an equally lazy and inane - Mayo are soft and bottle it and haven't won an All Ireland since 1951 - Blah! Balh! Blah! But I won't do that.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Thu May 07, 2009 2:39 pm

i really cant see how you can say that Dublin are rough? if anything there not rough enough and it is one of the reasons they have not won the all-ireland as they often get " bullied" by the bigger teams.

as for meath i dont think there that rough anymore though they have some very big players i think both teams like to play fast football.

as i said i think this game will mean far more to meath than Dublin as Dublin dont need to win leinster anymore.
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Don't know where all this hype about Meath has come from ( well excluding Loyal) hopefully they have improved but have the improved as much as been made out here....... i don't think so.
the dubs have a new manager with no silverware to his name to say that leister doesn't matter to him can't see that either.
one game i haven't called yet still need to do a bit more probing as with cork v kerry game. possibly the two hardest games to call going on statements as no one seems to know how good these teams are.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:28 pm

A lot of people don't give Meath much of a chance of earning their first championship victory over the dubs in eight years! And to be honest why would they? Dublin have won four Leinsters on the trot, Meath haven't reached a Leinster semi final since 2001. Neither set the world alight in the League, although Dublin did claim one or two notable scalps. It all points to one team however.

Meath's biggest problem is going to be getting scores, Stephen Bray has been playing poorly, Brian Farrell is constantly injured, we wouldn't want to be pinning our hopes on the Senchelstown sensation that is the Big Show aka Joe Sheridan, and Peader Byrne is not a scorer. We don't have any goalscorers either. A big performance from Bray(s), Ward and Farrell will be key. Defensively, Meath are sound enough down the wings, if as I expect McGill, Harro, Kenny and Shane McInerney start, then I'm happy enough. Each of them are playing well, well capable taking a Brogan. But they could be exposed down the middle, especially if Moyles is centre back. He's a leader but he's slowing down, I'd have my suspicions about him playing well.

On the plus side, Dublin do appear to have a lot of new faces, so surely there is going to be huge amounts of pressure on them to perform. Four championship debutants and another three or four well short of big game experience. There is zero pressure on Meath, nobody really expects them to win and here, we will come up against lads who won't have played in a game like this in their dreams. If Bray, Ward and Farrell get going, they could destroy some of them defenders. Like I'm not saying one way or another but who knows how them young lads can handle it? And up front, Alan Brogan was marked out of the game in 07, if Harro picks him up again he'll keep him to 2-3 points. McGill will hopefully take the other Brogan, again I'm hopeful he'll keep him to 2-3 points. But the main aim for the backs will be not to concede a goal, if we do that, then its a huge part of the battle. And hopefully Mossy misses his first couple of frees, that will help us.

Midfield is even enough I reckon, if not in favour of Meath. Darren Magee was a junior last year I think. And after the spectacular return to form of Cindy, we have to confident of at least competing with Dublin round the middle. Mark Ward needs to keep the head though and remain focused.

A lot of people don't seem to realise how inexperienced this Dublin side is and yet all the pressure is on them. Maybe they will be equal to it, I don't know, but nobody gives Meath a chance. I'm happy enough for it to stay like that, if we lose, we lose, did anyone really expect us to win? We shall see.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I will be very disappointed if Dublin do not win this pulling up. I would've felt the saem coming into the game two years ago and a combination of first time out rustiness (or sheer crap play) allied to showing an ordinary Meath side too much respect meant we only drew.

This time around Meath are without Geraghty - a significant loss. Maybe Loyal can answer but I doubt there are many on this Meath side that have experienced beating Dublin in the C'ship?

Gilroy has got to get it into his players heads - without any complacency - that this Meath team does not have O'Rourkes or Giles' or Geraghtys or McDermotts or Dowds or Murphys. The reality to me anyway is that Meath are very ordinary - and in a very ordinary province.

And while people may say you never know with Dublin v Meath - I think thats a load of rubbish. If Dublin want to atone for last year's disaster it should start on Sunday. And I think what they have on the line this year in terms of Gilroy and Whelan is considerably better than Pillar & Co.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I will be very disappointed if Dublin do not win this pulling up. I would've felt the saem coming into the game two years ago and a combination of first time out rustiness (or sheer crap play) allied to showing an ordinary Meath side too much respect meant we only drew.

This time around Meath are without Geraghty - a significant loss. Maybe Loyal can answer but I doubt there are many on this Meath side that have experienced beating Dublin in the C'ship?

Gilroy has got to get it into his players heads - without any complacency - that this Meath team does not have O'Rourkes or Giles' or Geraghtys or McDermotts or Dowds or Murphys. The reality to me anyway is that Meath are very ordinary - and in a very ordinary province.

And while people may say you never know with Dublin v Meath - I think thats a load of rubbish. If Dublin want to atone for last year's disaster it should start on Sunday. And I think what they have on the line this year in terms of Gilroy and Whelan is considerably better than Pillar & Co.

All the better if both Dubs and non-Dubs think like this. All the pressure is on Dublin, a lot of young lads in that team. Meath will hopefully come out and do their thing, nobody gives us a chance. I'm hopeful. And if we don't win, lets hope we can give them a good rattle.

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next