GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meath and Dublin

+7
Boxtyeater
patsymc
Thomas Clarke
Parouisa
banjo
emmetryan
Loyal2TheRoyal
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Meath and Dublin Empty Meath and Dublin

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm

This is it a repeat of 2001, 1999, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986 Leinster Finals. Meath lead the way with 7 wins to Dublin's 3.

Meath impressive since poor League recording wins over Wicklow, Carlow and Kildare. Dublin have a question mark beside them after last year's All-Ireland Final think it's only seven competitive wins in 2012, 2 against Carlow and UCD in the O'Bryne Cup, Laois, Armagh and Donegal in the League and Louth plus Wexford in the Leinster championship. What's worrying from a Dublin point of view is that all the teams they've beaten bar two have since departed the scene for 2012.

Meath finally have found some luck and that could be the difference. I expect a close game with a few close plays separating the sides at the end. A lucky break in behind a full-back line, a dominant five-ten minute period in the second half or a harsh sending off will probably decide this. Graham Geraghty reportedly in contention to make an appearance. Do Dublin have a player of his calibre? A good option to be able to bring in off the bench. He could be the difference.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Meath and Dublin Empty Re: Meath and Dublin

Post  emmetryan Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Really depends on which versions of the teams show up on the day. Meath have been cold more than hot this year but have two good displays back-to-back on the way to the final. Dublin have a deeper bench but were not impressive against Wexford the last day and the last time Dublin had a bad day against Wexford before playing Meath...well we remember that one well!

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 pm

be no bad thing losing the leinster final

banjo
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Would be very disappointed if Dublin don't win this. Was delighted Meath beat Kildare but the standard that day was quite poor. Still Meath had enough to win it and deserve credit. We were poor against Wexford for the 3rd year in a row and rather than think what happened after the Wexford game in 2010 it might be more relevant to look at what happened last year in the game after Wexford.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Parouisa wrote:Would be very disappointed if Dublin don't win this. Was delighted Meath beat Kildare but the standard that day was quite poor. Still Meath had enough to win it and deserve credit. We were poor against Wexford for the 3rd year in a row and rather than think what happened after the Wexford game in 2010 it might be more relevant to look at what happened last year in the game after Wexford.

Completely agree with all of that, and was thinking the same about the backlash to the Wexford game last year. Meath are being set up for a terrible fall here. They beat Kildare, but Kildare were very poor, just as they were when upset by Louth and Wicklow in years gone by - they always throw in a real stinker in every championship season. Meath cast aside 2 years of disappointment in that game, and played with great spirit with a new young side. However, I can't help but feel that it was a smash and grab, rather than a new dawn.

Dublin should win this, although I still wonder about their defence/attack balance given that McManamon has usurped Barry Cahill. Perhaps, with Connolly missing, Gilroy will look to redress this.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 pm

meath looked the real deal against lillies this dublin team have gone backwards,you cant just switch it on and off so meath by 1 for me the dublin for the back doore
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 am

The back door draw is kind enough no doubt. Both teams would expect to hit the QFs - even in defeat. Will this play on weak minds? Who knows.

TC - I accept the KMcM point but not sure about it - he tracked as hard back as anyone. For 45 minutes we just did not pick up the deep runs from Wexford - personally I think this was a case of lads thinking 'ah someone else will get him' -against Louth it was similar but they did not have the anything approaching quality so it was not noticeable.

I am wary of very young lads having a very good outing and then being touted as the next best thing ... we had a few under Tommy Lyons that shone brightly and then disappeared quicker than RMDs wallet at a bar. It takes a long time to become even a good player at intercounty level ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 am

Parouisa wrote:

TC - I accept the KMcM point but not sure about it - he tracked as hard back as anyone. For 45 minutes we just did not pick up the deep runs from Wexford - personally I think this was a case of lads thinking 'ah someone else will get him' -against Louth it was similar but they did not have the anything approaching quality so it was not noticeable..

You could well be right, Par. I just feel that the defence/attack balance hasn't quite right this year, and noticed it most clearly during the Mayo league game. As you say, it could just be attitude and overall slackness, but I think it will be very interesting to see who Gilroy uses to replace Connolly.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 am

I've put together a tactical preview of the game here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 am

emmetryan wrote:I've put together a tactical preview of the game here [url=http://action81.com/blog/?p=5987
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any word of a preview of the big game this weekend, Emmet?!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 am

MDMcA named at 14!!! Fennell starts in MF - Ger Brennan dropped ....

Can't see this happening .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 am

Parouisa wrote:MDMcA named at 14!!! Fennell starts in MF - Ger Brennan dropped ....

Can't see this happening .....

Caught me off guard that's for sure!

@Thomas Clarke, if you mean the Ulster Final, it'll be up tomorrow. I'll get a small bit up on Kerry vs Tyrone on the Facebook page tomorrow night.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:20 am

1. Stephen Cluxton

2. Michael Fitzsimons 3. Rory O’Carroll 4. Philly McMahon

5. James McCarthy 6. Kevin Nolan 7. Cian O’Sullivan

8. Eamon Fennell 9. Denis Bastick

10. Paul Flynn 11. Alan Brogan 12. Bryan Cullen (Capt)

13.Bernard Brogan 14. Michael Dara MacAuley 15. Kevin McManamon

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 am

emmetryan wrote:
@Thomas Clarke, if you mean the Ulster Final, it'll be up tomorrow. I'll get a small bit up on Kerry vs Tyrone on the Facebook page tomorrow night.

The Ulster Final is on this weeK? Talk about lost in the crowd! (Actually, I am aware of this, but only because Tyrone are in the minor final...)
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 am

Parouisa wrote:1. Stephen Cluxton

2. Michael Fitzsimons 3. Rory O’Carroll 4. Philly McMahon

5. James McCarthy 6. Kevin Nolan 7. Cian O’Sullivan

8. Eamon Fennell 9. Denis Bastick

10. Paul Flynn 11. Alan Brogan 12. Bryan Cullen (Capt)

13.Bernard Brogan 14. Michael Dara MacAuley 15. Kevin McManamon

Brennan was taken off very early against Wexford, but O'Sullivan was little better and conceded a lot of frees, so I'm suprised by this. I'd assume that Cian will play at CHB, and Nolan on the wing.

As for MDMA, that makes sense to me, as I'd expect him to play at midfield, with Bastick providing cover for the half backs. I think it is the realignment of the defence/attack balance that I've been talking about - basically, McManamon & the Brogans attacking, and the rest playing much deeper.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 am

That may not be far off the mark. It'd be very interesting though to see MDMcA given a licence to charge at the Meath defence right through the middle - a bit like Sean Cav did in days of yore. He is very powerful on the ball and would make defenders concentrate on their defensive duties.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

The Royals name their team. Two personnel changes from the last day and reshuffle in defence:

David Gallagher (St.Peter’s, Dunboyne); Donal Keogan (Rathkenny), Kevin Reilly (Navan O’Mahonys), Mickey Burke (Longwood); Donnacha Tobin (Blackhall Gaels), Shane McAnarney (Clann na nGael), Brian Menton (Donaghmore/Ashbourne); Conor Gillespie (Summerhill), Brian Meade (Rathkenny); Alan Forde (Navan O’Mahonys), Damien Carroll (Ballinabrackey), Graham Reilly (St.Colmcilles); Brian Farrell (Nobber), Joe Sheridan (Seneschalstown), Stephen Bray (Navan O’Mahony’s).

Plenty of options on the bench including Peader Byrne, Paddy Gilsenan, Cian Ward, Eoghan Harrington, Ciaran Lenihan, Chris O'Connor, Jamie Queeney and Mark Collins.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 pm

dont know a lot bout that meath team never heard of 1/2 them before Shocked
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 pm

I reckon Cian Ward will start ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm

patsymc wrote:dont know a lot bout that meath team never heard of 1/2 them before Shocked

You will probably be a lot wiser come Sunday evening Patsy. Following Loyal's announcement of the team, it looks about the best they can muster. A fair share of these young lads played with great heart and conviction against Kildare and looked like lads that weren't carrying any baggage from previous failures. The relegation of Cian Ward to the bench, while mildly surprising in some quarters, makes sense.
I have a feeling that unless the Dubs hole them below the waterline by 55 minutes they will make a mighty battle of it.

Speaking of battles, Gilroy has wisely omitted Brennan from the starting 15. In a ding-dong affair, his ability to be caught for positioning or pace sometimes expose temperamental frailties. There are a number of others for whom a tight affair against Meath may be nerve-racking..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:There are a number of others for whom a tight affair against Meath may be nerve-racking..

Don't think so Boxty - these lads were 4 down v Kerry in an All Ireland final with 7 mins to go - that's pressure. Lose on Sunday and you play Laois ... or Leitrim Razz - hardly the same kind of pressure.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Parouisa wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:There are a number of others for whom a tight affair against Meath may be nerve-racking..

Don't think so Boxty - these lads were 4 down v Kerry in an All Ireland final with 7 mins to go - that's pressure. Lose on Sunday and you play Laois ... or Leitrim Razz - hardly the same kind of pressure.

Meath wouldn't have the arrogance of Kerry though, there's no way they'd think it was won and take the foot off the gas... Wink

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Meath played like drains in Div 2 and were deservedly relegated. They fell over Wicklow and needed a replay against Carlow. Fair play to them for a good performance v Kildare but if they were cyclists there would be eyebrows raised. Did they suddenly become a very good team overnight? Were Kildare just pi55 poor? Will the new lads handle the pressure of a Leinster Final v Dublin? Like I said earlier in the thread I would be very disappointed if we did not win this - and without the nail biting too.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Parouisa wrote:Meath played like drains in Div 2 and were deservedly relegated. They fell over Wicklow and needed a replay against Carlow. Fair play to them for a good performance v Kildare but if they were cyclists there would be eyebrows raised. Did they suddenly become a very good team overnight? Were Kildare just pi55 poor? Will the new lads handle the pressure of a Leinster Final v Dublin? Like I said earlier in the thread I would be very disappointed if we did not win this - and without the nail biting too.

Parouisa is mildly rattled by Jonsmith's accurate observation...and it's only Thursday.
Fingernails gone by Sunday I'd say. It would be a disaster for Dublin to lose this one, reigning A/I champs and all that.

The trip to Carrick still beckons......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The trip to Carrick still beckons......

This is what worries me more than anything. If Leitrim win on Saturday - shock! - the Dubs would surely love a trip to Carrick and a few scoops in the Bush or the Landmark. Only about 50 Dubs have ever been in Leitrim. We could go down and knock down those ghost estates for ye ... Its a big carrot ...
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next