GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Division 1

+13
The Puke
bluearmy1
Boxtyeater
OMAR
Grenvile
samin12
RMDrive
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA-Fan
Thomas Clarke
Real Kerry Fan
bocerty
Parouisa
17 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

NFL Division 1 - Page 5 Empty Re: NFL Division 1

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Final score 0-20 to 0-8. Dublin were actually flattered by the 12 point margin, a solitary wide on top of their 8 points indicating how rarely they attacked. All over the pitch, Mayo were sharper, hungrier and more disciplined. Very impressive performance from Mayo, and some very genuine concerns for Pat Gilroy, not least of which will be the total loss of discipline in the face of adversity.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Shows how important the Leinster final will be this year.
Dublin racking up cricket scores for fun at HQ but not so comfortable outside the M50.

They will want a clean run to the quarters and wont want the Bus Eireann lottery of a provincial losers slot against a qualifier pot that will possibly include 3 from Tyrone/Donegal/Derry/Armagh losers of Kildare/Meath and Losers of Kerry/Cork
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:05 pm

As many posters on this website will testify, I expressed doubts about Dublin's 2012 title hopes as soon as Cullen invited everyone in Croke Park to Copper Face Jacks last September.

Of course this loss is not the end of the world but certainly concerns exist.

Wins over Laois, Armagh and Donegal versuss losses to Down, Kerry and now Mayo. It's hard to weigh up the form. Looking at the short to medium term, I would say they've been fortunate in being kept away from Kildare and even a mercurial Meath in the Leinster draw. Because one thing's for sure, this time last year Dublin were in a far better position.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:09 pm

James Horan has made excellent progress as manager of Mayo too. I suppose the fallout from this game will focus on Dublin's catapultion but Mayo are once again going about their business quietly. I suspect there'll be more to come from them in the summer too.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm

[quote="Loyal2TheRoyal" I suspect there'll be more to come from them in the summer too.[/quote]

Hardly if we inflict a trimming to them in Castlebar.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 pm

no doubt our Dublin brethren will be on telling us the league doesnt matter and that things will be much improved come the start of the championship. All well and good saying that but form isnt something you can turn off and on like a tap and you only have to read Philly Jordans recent interview to get an insight into what its like trying to retain SAM.

Discipline is a definite issue in the Dublin camp at minute and it seems that Gilroy may not be in total control of his players - opposing teams would obviously look at this as a weakness of the Dublin team and getting in their faces may not go down too well with the boys in blue.

Something tells me its going to be a short summer for the boys from HQ!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Mayo played very well on Saturday night, but I think that they have a long way to go before they can be considered serious contenders for the All Ireland.

I think that they still look very lightweight and lacking a star in certain areas, most notably in attack. Conor Mortimor, Alan Dillan and Michael Conroy all played in the 2004 all ireland final, and I can't imagine that they have suddenly been remodelled as winners 8 years on. Same goes for Trevor Mortimor. Andy Moran is a good player but not an exceptional one, while Kevin McLaughlin is basically a defender. Barry Moran is there because he is big, but contributes little. I do like young Cillian O'Connor, and perhaps he will be the one to create real concern in the opposing defences.

They have some good players though - Aidan O'Shea has never looked fitter, while Donal Vaughan would make any side in Ireland. They also have lots of pace and some nice footballers throughout the side. Mayo were very good against Dublin, but we've seen such flashes from them before. Worthy favourites for the Connaught title, but I'm not sure they will be able to put together the string of big back-to-back displays that they will need to win an AI. They just look too light to me.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 pm

A big defeat was coming for the Dubs...I missed the game in Newry but by most accounts Down could have won by more and Dublin were extremely ill-disciplined. Dublin came out on top last year deservedly.....but only really as the best of a bad bunch. I wouldn't say they are in for a short summer and maybe this league campaign is the kick up the **** they needed to bring them back down to earth. Having not seen any of the games in the NFL this year my opinion is somewhat ill-equipped but I wonder if the fallout from their victory in September has left them trailing behind other teams fitness wise.....it seems like their ill-discipline is a consequence of their inability to keep up with fitter teams.

Dublin will still be a tough proposition in the Championship, they were a fair bit more disciplined last year than previous Dublin sides and it saw them over the line. If Pat Gilroy can get them programmed back into that mentality and re-establish their organised game plan they could get back to winning ways. I wouldn't even say they are incapable of winning another All-Ireland, as unlikely as it seems right now. But they are certainly a step behind some of the other better teams in the country. This year's NFL has shown that the playing field has leveled out among Gaelic football...Kerry's experience has seen them through pretty much unscathed but I question how much they have left in the tank. The standard might not be great but there is some excitement as to what teams are going to fill the void left by Kerry and Tyrone.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:58 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:...but there is some excitement as to what teams are going to fill the void left by Kerry and Tyrone.

It looks like that void will be filled by Kerry and Tyrone! Very Happy
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Tyrone are going extremely well in Division 2 and the supporters will be pleased that the defeat against Dublin last year and the retirement of several key players hasn't appeared to have caused a sharp downturn. Quarter final appearances, and indeed provincial titles are still well within Tyrone's reach. I'm not so sure about Kerry, there is a lot of transition going on right now in Gaelic football and the fear for Kerry is that while other teams are slowly improving they are sticking with their old guard. This could well see them reach another All-Ireland final this year , but in the long term the Kingdom may suffer from sticking too long with an ageing team.

I don't see Kerry going the same way as Meath anytime soon but they should give some thought to the possibility that they are not going to be as dominant in the future as they have been. The general consensus is that the Kingdom will always have a team capable of winning All-Irelands, but this great Kerry team is dying out in an era very different from the one it began in. Their position in an easy province will see them through to the latter stages but I have seen little of Kerry's underage setup...too little to say that they won't remain as powerful as they have always been, but also too little to say that they will.

Division 1 of the NFL has shown that there really isn't a lot between the so-called top teams (and I would obviously include Tyrone in that, as they are clearly too good for Division 2, and Kildare certainly do perform better in the Championship). Experience though will tell and you would fully expect Cork and Kerry to be there at the business end of things, Dublin will probably improve just enough to at least make the quarter finals and then teams like Tyrone, Armagh, Kildare, Down, Donegal, Mayo will have realistic hopes of good runs.

bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

if donegal continue with the work jim has done they should win ulster again,tyrone are playing at a lower level,if donegal keep men behind the ball they will make it very hard for the other teams to score,remember they kept dublin to 8,keep up theat great work rate they could be sort of contenderts to win more silverware this year,just like to add mayo kept dublin to 8 too they must be copying donegal
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Did you see the Dublin/Mayo game Patsy? Brutal stuff from the Dubs, and very dirty. So much so, none of our Dublin posters have even commented on it. As a neutral, what were your thoughts on the Boys in Blue last Saturday night?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm

and still we await the Dublin fans opinion on whats going on with Pats brats!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Did you see the Dublin/Mayo game Patsy? Brutal stuff from the Dubs, and very dirty. So much so, none of our Dublin posters have even commented on it. As a neutral, what were your thoughts on the Boys in Blue last Saturday night?

it would be hard to disagree with any of the abvove comments,maybe the jackeens dont have the stomach for battel after picking up there customary all ireland every 15 years or thereabouts,i thought they were very dirty anyway even there goal keeper was fighting and he was there coolest customer last year,mayo rattled them thats fore sure
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Very honest analysis Patsy. There used to be a few Dubs on this site, but a couple are no longer with us, and the one that is doesn't seem to be interested in football anymore.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:11 pm

thats a shame
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Very honest analysis Patsy. There used to be a few Dubs on this site, but a couple are no longer with us, and the one that is doesn't seem to be interested in football anymore.

they had discipline problems too TC!!!!

Watched most of the game last night on Setanta, it didnt make for pleasant viewing from a Dublin perspective, second season syndrome has set in i think. Some lads dont gave a f**k and it shows, as i said before i think Pat has lost control of the situation ala AVB at Chelski.

Ladt year the players were walking a tightrope knowing that if the messed about Pat would haul them of or not start them, they were confident there was an All Ireland on the horizon and none of them wanted to miss out on that, this year its almost like a 2 fingers at Pat saying we are in control and we'll do it our way this year Mr Gilroy.

Of course the Dubs will say they have yet to unleash their most potent marksman but i think it wont be enough this year
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

I've been on this site almost as long as anyone else and have been quoted many times, ad nauseum, in fact, about Dublin's lack of discipline. Last year I'd earmarked Brennan and Bastic as the most likely to take early showers and they got to the Holy Grail by the skin of their teeth.

Connolly is a different kettle of fish, a fits and start type of player. Land a few early ones and he's fine, but a few misses and a few clatters seems to completely un-nerve him. It's hardly the prospect of O'Gara waiting in the wings.

Some appear to have that "Dublin superiority complex" about them that the annexation of Sam has fuelled (it stretches beyond the panel let me add) but given their almost guaranteed passage through Leinster, Gilroy has time to steady the ship.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I'd agree with all of that Boxty, and would add Michael Dara McAuley to the list of tightrope walkers. He really was out of control against Mayo.

Connolly is a talented footballer but, as well as a fragile temperament, he also suffers from cowardice. Connolly's is a particularly dangerous type though, as he is the sort who, to prove he is hard and tough, which he isn't, ends up being dirty and reckless.

But you are right. A Leinster final is all but guaranteed, meaning that Gilroy has plenty of time to put things right. They will be a better side in July.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 pm

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Very honest analysis Patsy. There used to be a few Dubs on this site, but a couple are no longer with us, and the one that is doesn't seem to be interested in football anymore.

they had discipline problems too TC!!!!

Ah now Boc, let bygones be bygones. At least one of them was big enough to come on here and criticise the Dub's display against Mayo. A reformed character. In fact, he's virtually a new man!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 pm

The Dauber has done a study of all this, incredible as it may seem, given the many calls on his time.. Wink

I'm allowing myself a bit of latitude here when I quote from a rambunctious night in Daubers around the Christmas....

"That big fooker Whelan was at it for years and got away with it, it's in them I tell ya!"..

Sometimes a prophet is recognised in his own house...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:20 pm

So Down progress to the semi-finals with a relatively easy win in Portlaoise. Not bad for a team who Bocerty claimed would be at home in Division 2.

All credit to James McCartan, things were going to be difficult with the loss of star players Marty Clarke, Caolan Mooney, and Peter Fitzpatrick but he has re-organised the team well. Good to see the young lads getting involved after a disappointing U21 campaign.

Perhaps the posters on this site will start to give Down the credit they are due. No-one gave us a hope of staying up last year, and certainly no one was giving us much chance this year with the loss of key players.

It's good to see Down starting to steady themselves in the top flight, and genuine progress has been made. They have a lot of work to do, and Cork remain a big bogey team for us, but a successful start to the season for Down and I hope it continues.

Fair play Wee James & co
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Congratulations Blue Army. Always had time for your posts. Glad to see Down repaying your faith.

As for Dublin, turmoil is not the word. Three wins? Against Laois, Armagh and Donegal? Hmmmmm.

Things don't look good for the reigning All-Ireland champs.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Bit of niggly point this but when will some Ref have the Kahunas to pull Kevin Mcmenamon for overcarrying He takes 7-9 steps between every solo/Bounce.

But given that the Mort is still getting away with narrowing theangle on frees by 6-7 yards The question is all but Rhetorical

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next