GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Ireland Final: Dublin vs Kerry 18/9/11

+18
The Puke
SamiPremier08
Royal_Girl2k9
mugsys_barber
samin12
jimbodub
OMAR
3inarow08
mullins
Real Kerry Fan
Grenvile
hipster 2
black&white
Thomas Clarke
Jayo Cluxton
Loyal2TheRoyal
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
22 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

All Ireland Final: Dublin vs Kerry 18/9/11 - Page 10 Empty Re: All Ireland Final: Dublin vs Kerry 18/9/11

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 pm

As Bernard Brogan said you couldn't have scripted it better. I am going to Croke Park for many years and never have I experienced such an atmosphere - it was unbelievable. It really did feel like the stadium moved. The last five minutes were surreal. And the decision to keep people off the pitch seems to be the best one. Allowing the players to move about the pitch after was great for everyone and allowed the party to continue.

It was a titanic battle. When our defence opened up like the Red Sea and Gooch goaled I feared the worst. But this is not 2009. By and large the defence were excellent but I was surprised both teams did not try to get players running at defences - this was how both goals arrived. After a sticky start I thought we gained control in the middle sector. Donaghy was winning plenty of ball but as he can't be in two places at the one time a lot of it was wasted. After 29 minutes Kerry had just 1-2 on the board.

When we went 3 points ahead early in the second half I thought we would push on but Kerry dug in and took control. We lost a bit of discipline at this stage and gave away some stupid frees. I actually thought MDMA looked like he was out on his feet at this stage. Kerry were playing a very strange keep ball in the middle sector and were almost offering Dublin the opportunity to seize the initiative. The introduction of Mc Manaman certainly reinvigorated things. As someone has said he can be a bit head down at times and runs into blind alleys - like Alan Brogan used to. Thats why he isn't in the first XV though he has scored some memorable goals in the League where he gets a lot of starts. But cometh the hour! He took the goal well and Croker exploded and Dulbin suddenly had all the impetus. Kevin Nolan's point was just incredible - as was Donaghy's. And then the iceman cometh. A truly remarkable comeback for these lads who have truly shed the tag of bottlers, mentally fragile etc.

I have listened to some of the comments yesterday re the ref and added time etc. I was not impressed with McQuillan from the start and felt that Dublin lads had to nearly get killed to get a free. Its all very well for Spillane & co to isolate incidents - I could've picked a few more to show balance but c'est la vie. The minor game was 'at least' one minute and the ref blew up after 58 seconds - 'at least' seems to be a bit rubbish to be honest. In most games you see the ref barely allows the 'at least' amount. And I find it funny to hear people say that Kerry make no excuses and just get on with it. All I heard on the airwaves was Kerry lads (Spillane especially) moaning about this and that - and then ah but sure we'll get on with it. Another Kerry myth I think.

But what a day and what an end to 2010. All Ireland heartbreak by 3 until Pat Gilroy's men delivered on the big stage. Credit to all involved. It doesn't get much better than this!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

All Ireland Final: Dublin vs Kerry 18/9/11 - Page 10 Empty Re: All Ireland Final: Dublin vs Kerry 18/9/11

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote: It doesn't get much better than this!

It doesn't get any better than that Jayo. Those are the days that make up for all the disappointments. In fact, without all the disappointments, the highs wouldn't be so wonderful. Enjoy every minute of it. Smile
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Days like that make all the bad ones seem worthwhile.

On the McQuillan debate the dubs got a few very handy frees especially in 1st half. Was sittin front row upper davin and had an excellent view of them. I thought over all he was fairly consistent to both teams.

johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Woke up yesterday morning with the mother and father of all hangovers and the lyrics to "Dublin City in the rare Oul times" burned into my brain (and throat)..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Fair play to the dubs for staying off the pitch as well. It made the occasion much more memorable in my opinion. Also it gives the players who have worked so hard the opportunity to bring their families on and savour it with them. The pillar scene probably wouldnt have happened either. I thought that was terrific. God knows he's had a few bad days as well
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Ah Piller - God love him - hates the limelight ...

Personally if I was in his shoes I'd have done anything to avoid being there in uniform on All Ireland final day. But you can't beat a bit of Sunday OT - may be the Cavan blood .... Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Woke up yesterday morning with the mother and father of all hangovers and the lyrics to "Dublin City in the rare Oul times" burned into my brain (and throat)..

Converted Dub???? I suppose the generous Dubs were throwing the drink into you ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm

They were buying drink to bate the band Jayo, I even offered them a pour from my naggin in return.. Laughing

The atmosphere was great and we didn't even hit any of the bigger places. Kerry and Dublin folk alike were giving it socks to the live music in the last bar we were in. Great to see.

The Hideout will be hit bright and early this Sunday before the Ladies Final, expect to see a fair few Kingspan jerseys floating around the City..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Does anybody else think after Sunday that Gaelic Football is a game where the gods of the universe take a shine to one team. I mean, what if:

Cluxton hadn't caught the Sheehan free going over.
Or
Brennan had walked for his frontal charge.
Or
Kerry caught the throw up after Brennan put his hand in Donaghy's face.
Or
Donagy had went for goal.
Or
Barry John Keane's effort had crept inside the post.
Or
Declan O'Sullivan had found his man with that pass.
Or
Connolly headed for Hill16 instead of turning back to find McAuley running through for the late, late free.

It really is a game of inches. Of course, Dublin had their moments too. But it's on such moments that a whole year is evaluated on.

I often wonder what might have been if Bendter had controlled the ball, or if Essien hadn't kicked fresh air trying to clear a Dani Alves cross. I will add Declan O'Sullivan's attempted pass to my 'if' moments now. Years and years of effort decided by a single instant in time - really makes you wonder.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:25 pm

The margins are much narrower than the post match analysis would ever lead you to believe

Some days the gods are with you - From my perspective never more so than Donegal v Kildare - The Christy toye goal from his first touch - The Christy Toye point - The Cassidy point - The Michael Murphy pick up and of course the Square ball goal and then there are the days when they are not ? What would have happended if Lacey hadn't got injured or McFAdden has kept the ball 2 foot lower.

If Declan O sullivan hadn't hit the crossbar in 2008 and won the match with that goal he would have been lauded as player of the year - Maybe Sheehan this year - Maybe Kealy had an all star with 7 minutes to go ?

Suppose you just have to assume that over the years or games these things even out - Mossie Quinns missed free - Ciaran Mcdonalds point - Mugsy's Goal - Corks goal and lots of heartbreak the dubs have had -that came out of something as simple as a slip or a missed pass or a miss timed run

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Jonsmith wrote:They were buying drink to bate the band Jayo, I even offered them a pour from my naggin in return.. Laughing

The atmosphere was great and we didn't even hit any of the bigger places. Kerry and Dublin folk alike were giving it socks to the live music in the last bar we were in. Great to see.

The Hideout will be hit bright and early this Sunday before the Ladies Final, expect to see a fair few Kingspan jerseys floating around the City..

A heavy weekend beckons as breffni and farney army descent on the capital - Sordid tales of scandal - insobriety - infidelity and general mischief ahead -" Footballers husbands" if you will Twisted Evil
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 pm

OMAR wrote:
A heavy weekend beckons as breffni and farney army descent on the capital - Sordid tales of scandal - insobriety - infidelity and general mischief ahead -" Footballers husbands" if you will Twisted Evil

Indeed some of the "Ballinamore Invincibles" shall be giving her holly in the Capital over the weekend, as one of those dreaded D boys (whose brother is not unknown to OMAR) turns 50 with a bit of a blast on Saturday night...It's not all sweetness and light however, as his late wife's 3rd anniversary is also this weekend....
Surely a case of contrasting emotions, proving again the fickle nature of life....Booterstown direction I'm informed...
Boxty in a state of panic with regard to traffic lights and roundabouts etc.,
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
OMAR wrote:

Indeed some of the "Ballinamore Invincibles" shall be giving her holly in the Capital over the weekend, as one of those dreaded D boys (whose brother is not unknown to OMAR) turns 50 with a bit of a blast on Saturday night...It's not all sweetness and light however, as his late wife's 3rd anniversary is also this weekend....
Surely a case of contrasting emotions, proving again the fickle nature of life....Booterstown direction I'm informed...
Boxty in a state of panic with regard to traffic lights and roundabouts etc.,

Come to Croker on Sunday and witness AD & Co bring the female intermediate Sam back to Cavan. Also back Donna English for MVP and make a few quid while you're at it.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 pm

New thread in non sports section required for this.

Leave this thread for us Dubs to bask in our glory please .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 pm

[quote="Jayo Cluxton"]New thread in non sports section required for this.

Leave this thread for us Dubs to bask in our glory please .....[/quote

So a post about the merits of fourth official time keeping in the ladies game would be dimly viewed ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 pm

[quote="OMAR"]
Jayo Cluxton wrote:New thread in non sports section required for this.

So a post about the merits of fourth official time keeping in the ladies game would be dimly viewed ?

Jaysus yis are gas men. Wouldn't bother me. I see a stat in the Times today where the ball was in play for about 35 minutes. Same in most games. Thats the kind of thing I would be looking at. Or players going down injured to waste time - that happened a good bit this year too ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Kerry Katriona took it hard I hear..................

No smart replies...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

[quote="Jayo Cluxton"]
OMAR wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:New thread in non sports section required for this.

Jaysus yis are gas men. Wouldn't bother me. I see a stat in the Times today where the ball was in play for about 35 minutes. Same in most games. Thats the kind of thing I would be looking at. Or players going down injured to waste time - that happened a good bit this year too ....

Only stirring - once 24 hours has passed those minor details are as relevant as the wrapper on sunday nights kebab. The history books have been written - All star picks maybe worth some comment
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Kerry Katriona took it hard I hear..................

No smart replies...

Coppers ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Saw the small print too late - Story of my life
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 am

Well I wont say anything about the ref or refs over the year but winners will always praise the ref. Thats not a myth Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Well I wont say anything about the ref or refs over the year but winners will always praise the ref. Thats not a myth Very Happy

I thought he was brutal RKF!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Congrats to Dublin...Taken me a while to say it, have had no internet.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Where is Mullins and Hipster? Haven't been heard of since the final.

Maybe this is Mullins:

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Well done De Duds!! Was at a wedding in Gdansk over the weekend and there was a gang of us huddled around some laptop knockin back shots of zubrowka whilst gorging ourselves on Wild Boar, listening to the match in the glorious Banino sunshine. I got dragged away by my masseuse companion with about 10 minutes to play feeling fairly certain that Kerry were turning the screw and it was game over.

Imagine my surprise then when I came back down from the bedroom only to hear Dublin had won by a point. My first reaction was to think of Mullins, Hipster and Jayo who have been fighting the good fight for years against the most bitter opposition imaginable and I and my companion raised another shot of wodka in their honour.
Well done lads. It'll be a short Winter for ye now. Lap up every last minute of it.

ps, haven't actually seen the match yet but it sounds like it was an epic. Will catch it later on Player
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next