GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

+7
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
OMAR
bronco
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. Empty Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm

The greatest urban/rural clash/division synonymous with the GAA looms appetisingly once again on Sunday.

This is probably the greatest collision of forces in the football world, akin' to the Cork/Tipp/Limerick jousts in hurling, eminating from the 1940's and 50's, when the names of Ring, Doyle and Mackey dominated our sporting press. 1955 was the 1st. of these high-profile clashes, when a John Dowling inspired Kerry overcame Dublin, whose inspirational figure was the calm and measured Kevin Heffernan.

Spin forward to the early 70's.....Two of the greatest I've seen were now on the sidelines, Micko and Heffo.
Dublin had stolen the early march, a facile win over Galway, big emphasis on speed and quick inter-passing off the hand, high energy stuff, all the while indulging a rotund, lazy full forward called Keaveney. Cunningly enshrouded into this system was an attritional midfielder called Mullins, no-nonsense defenders like Doherty and O'Driscoll and an astute economist called Kelleher. A gangly character called Cullen "stood in goals".

Banners proclaiming "Heffo's Army" appeared on Hill 16, the future was blue and "The Jacks were Back"....

Below in his modest billet, by the shores of the great ocean, the "Great Yerrah!" was in a conundrum.....
Will I chance these young lads or revert to the tried and trusted Suspect 
After consulting with his 15 selectors, 20 C/B officials, the Púc Goat committee in Killorglin, Jackie Healy-Rae and countless Tidy Towns Advisory Boards, the mighty Micko ruminated, sighed and pronounced....

The Young Lads.....

The rest, as they say is history......

To be followed...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. Empty Re: Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

Post  emmetryan Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 pm

One of the things I've always appreciated as a Dublin fan is that, whatever the round, Kerry fans travel in large numbers for us. Considering how one-sided the rivalry was in their favour over the years, that's a sign of respect.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. Empty Re: Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:42 pm

1975 from here: about 2 mins in...

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:18 am

The "Epic Game"....."Greatest game of all time"....Hardly......Some shocking football....

Some hard hits.....legiminate like...

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:55 am

It might be aging Kerry side that don't have the legs for a young,fit and fast Dublin side however IMO this Kerry side have one more All Ireland in them, its a real now or never for them and add in the fact they will be driven by revenge after 2011 AI defeat makes this a very interesting semi final.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:05 pm

The outcome of this match may rest on which team as improved the most since 2011.hard to call

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58 pm

2012 Donegal/mayo
2011 mayo v cork
2010 Down
2009 Kerry awake from slumber v Dublin
2008 Tyrone awake from slumber v Dublin, Wexford beat Armagh
2007 Meath beat Tyrone
2006 Mayo v Dublin
2005 ?

If Dublin win this it may well be the first time that all quarter finals and semis have gone to script in several years. 

Kerry lost to Donegal in 2012 and may well have won if Sheehan had stayed on the field
They have had a quiet league - did enough to stay up with half the big names resting which is what they normally do.
They are in a semi final which is all they have needed to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if they click
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Kerry have opted to rest/axe Donaghy and are aiming for pace and precision with their front 6.
They will have 3 former POTY's on the field from the outset, the O'Sés and Galvin and 3 of the recently selected team of the past 25 years in Tomás O'Sé, Declan O'Sullivan and Colm Cooper. On the bench are proven battlers like Sheehan, O'Mahony and Donaghy.

There's miles on the clock here just the same and it calls for a mighty effort over the 70 mins.

Dublin would appear to carry more potency in terms of pace and quality. Their midfield selection and the performance of those chosen will be crucial. Denis Bastick must have a reasonable chance of starting with Cian O'Sullivan dropping back to the half-back, line where I would exclude Ger Brennan. If Bernard Brogan can find his form with the boot I'd expect it would be lights out for the Kingdom.

Cormac Reilly has a big task "ar an feaóg" as Maurice Deegan was melodeon last Sunday. It's almost sold out on Sunday I gather - Man Yoo mustn't be kicking....Wink 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

I'll comment more later, but my initial worry for Kerry would be their carrying of 2 luxury items in the half forward line.

My second worry would be that Tomas O'Se barely has 50 minutes in him anymore.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:52 pm

It looks like that kerry feel they can hurt dublin in the corners and midfield,but that's funny because this is where gavin has decided dublin had problems in the past,jim has gone for speed in the corners and midfield,the dublin midfield without being ball winners have electric pace and its hard to see how kerry can deal with this on sunday,bastic is not an option at starting but may play a role later when its all about holding what you have,the only position up for grabs is 14 who will jim go with rock/o gara/andrews the latter must have a chance of starting.kerry have gone for a young back 6 bar the osheas this clearly shows fitz is showing signs that he is starting to rebuild.hard to see anything but a dublin win hopefully winning a poor game:D 

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 pm

bronco wrote: kerry have gone for a young back 6 bar the osheas this clearly shows fitz is showing signs that he is starting to rebuild. 
He has no other viable options. O'Mahony and Brosnan have neither the pace nor fitness, especially when he is already worried about Tomas' pace. Also, as I said earlier, neither Galvin and Cooper are doing enough work in the half forward line, which means that energy is needed elsewhere. Kerry will play very defensively, and hope to stifle the Dubs, hitting them for goals on the break. They'll need a massive, sustained performance from their midfielders, as this is the one area where Dublin have been vulnerable early in games (with their mobility, O'Sullivan/MacAuley come into games later, but aren't big ball winners early on).

Bronco - not sure about Gavin going with Rock/O'Gara/Andrews. I'd have thought that it will be Flynn/Kilkenny/Cullen/Connolly/Brogan and one other, most likely Mannion or Rock.

Dublin need a performance. They've not convinced in their last 2 games, but they are capable of beating Kerry with a bit to spare, so long as they don't collapse again at the sight of a green/gold jersey.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 am

Thomas Clarke wrote: They've not convinced in their last 2 games, but they are capable of beating Kerry with a bit to spare, so long as they don't collapse again at the sight of a green/gold jersey.
Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. Images10
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi guys

Tactical preview of Dublin vs Kerry up here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks
Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Kerry feeding of past glories here and people giving them a lot more respect than perhaps they merit.  Dublin will blow them away end off.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bronco wrote: kerry have gone for a young back 6 bar the osheas this clearly shows fitz is showing signs that he is starting to rebuild. 
He has no other viable options.  O'Mahony and Brosnan have neither the pace nor fitness, especially when he is already worried about Tomas' pace.  Also, as I said earlier, neither Galvin and Cooper are doing enough work in the half forward line, which means that energy is needed elsewhere.  Kerry will play very defensively, and hope to stifle the Dubs, hitting them for goals on the break.  They'll need a massive, sustained performance from their midfielders, as this is the one area where Dublin have been vulnerable early in games (with their mobility, O'Sullivan/MacAuley come into games later, but aren't big ball winners early on).

Bronco - not sure about Gavin going with Rock/O'Gara/Andrews. I'd have thought that it will be Flynn/Kilkenny/Cullen/Connolly/Brogan and one other, most likely Mannion or Rock.

Dublin need a performance. They've not convinced in their last 2 games, but they are capable of beating Kerry with a bit to spare, so long as they don't collapse again at the sight of a green/gold jersey.
sort of forget about cullen because he hasn't played much put your correct,i would guess same as v cork bar injury

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 pm

bocerty wrote:Kerry feeding of past glories here and people giving them a lot more respect than perhaps they merit.  Dublin will blow them away end off.
they deserve the respect they are giving imo

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:21 am

emmetryan wrote:Hi guys

Tactical preview of Dublin vs Kerry up here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks
Emmet
Hope you don't mind Emmet but i'm going to question one bit of that preview.

In terms of bench depth, Mayo are the only team in the country that can hold a candle to Dublin

First lets have a look the Kerry bench on Sunday.

16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
17. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
18. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
19. Eoin Brosnan Dr Crokes
20. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
21. Jack Sherwood Firies
22. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
23. Patrick Curtin Moyvane
24. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
25. Michael Geaney Dingle
26. Paul Geaney Dingle

IMO the likes of E Varley, M Conroy, C Carolan, R Feeney (who all came on Sunday v Tyrone) would be lucky to make that Kerry bench.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:34 am

Well suffice to say I'd differ considerably on how I rate those players. Feeney has proven quite effective as a sub despite his troubles when starting, Carolan is a serious talent, Varley had a poor game Sunday but is a notable weapon. Conroy, I'd grant, hasn't hit his top heights this summer but he's a solid option to have.

Regarding Kerry's bench, there's three walking wounded among the best options (O'Mahony, Brosnan, Sheehan). When assessing depth you can't ignore health and Kerry's best have issues save for Donaghy. After that it takes a significant drop in terms of impact.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 am

I'd agree with Emmet here. Kerry have the bigger names on their bench, but none of them have been playing well, while we saw what their young lads have to offer in the early rounds of the league.

The only thing that they do have going for them are potential replacements at midfield. This is the area where they can and must get on top of Dublin, and will need Sheehan and Moran to play well when Maher/Buckley tired after 45-50 minutes.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:56 am

bronco wrote:
bocerty wrote:Kerry feeding of past glories here and people giving them a lot more respect than perhaps they merit.  Dublin will blow them away end off.
they deserve the respect they are giving imo
they certainly do deserve the respect Bronco as does any team who trains and competes but they are ageing side and last years or the year before performances will count for little come Sunday. They have some very gifted footballers dont get me wrong but when analysing the possible outcome you have to realise Kerry s best players in many cases have their best years behind them.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:57 pm

emmetryan wrote:Well suffice to say I'd differ considerably on how I rate those players. Feeney has proven quite effective as a sub despite his troubles when starting, Carolan is a serious talent, Varley had a poor game Sunday but is a notable weapon. Conroy, I'd grant, hasn't hit his top heights this summer but he's a solid option to have.

Regarding Kerry's bench,  there's three walking wounded among the best options (O'Mahony, Brosnan, Sheehan). When assessing depth you can't ignore health and Kerry's best have issues save for Donaghy. After that it takes a significant drop in terms of impact.
How more walking wounded are they than the likes of Conroy,Barry Moran or Jason Doherty who have played very little football for Mayo this year? Feeney is decent player but i doubt he would make the Kerry bench and i have seen enough of Varley as starter or off the bench and i don't really rate him that highly at all.

IMO Mayo have like for like on their bench while Kerry have proven quality on their bench that could swing a game.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Conroy is the only one hurt that's realistically likely to get game time in September. Kerry need their unhealthy players on the park.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 pm

emmetryan wrote:Conroy is the only one hurt that's realistically likely to get game time in September. Kerry need their unhealthy players on the park.
Disagree. Maher,Buckley are two good midfielders and the starting 6 forwards on Sunday only Dublin could possibly match them. It's only in defence where Kerry have a few question marks however the same could be said about Dublins defence.

Also more than just Conroy, if anything happens to one of the O'sheas Barry Moran will likely be brought in and Andy Moran,Dillion only look half fit this summer however Horan won't drop them because they are key experienced players and they don't have suitable replacements for them.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:
Disagree. Maher,Buckley are two good midfielders and the starting 6 forwards on Sunday only Dublin could possibly match them. It's only in defence where Kerry have a few question marks however the same could be said about Dublins defence..
Kerry have major question marks in the half forward line. They have Gooch and Galvin in there, one of whom doesn't have to work, and the other no longer has the legs to work.

And their defence has more than a few question marks. They have 4 young lads who are unproven at this level, and a 35 year old who can no longer play 70 minutes.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:
Disagree. Maher,Buckley are two good midfielders and the starting 6 forwards on Sunday only Dublin could possibly match them. It's only in defence where Kerry have a few question marks however the same could be said about Dublins defence..
Kerry have major question marks in the half forward line.  They have Gooch and Galvin in there, one of whom doesn't have to work, and the other no longer has the legs to work.

And their defence has more than a few question marks.  They have 4 young lads who are unproven at this level, and a 35 year old who can no longer play 70 minutes.
I think you are somewhat underrating the Gooch,Galvin and O'Se and whos to say that the Gooch will even start at number 11? the jury is out on 4 young lads in defence aright but we won't get the answer to that until Sunday. Has been a lot of talk about Dublin forward power however if you look at their top scorers this summer one is Brogan who is off form and the other is their goalkeeper.

Bernard Brogan……….1-10
Stephen Cluxton……….0-13
Paul Mannion…………..2-6
Ciaran Kilkenny……….0-10
Paul Flynn………………..1-6
Dean Rock…………………0-8
Paddy Andrews…………1-4
Diarmuid Connolly…….1-4

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next