GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

+7
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
OMAR
bronco
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

The Gooch will play at 11 - it has been Kerry's plan all year, and I don't see them changing it.

Tomas has been one of the greatest wing backs of all time, but he has very little left in the tank.  Galvin has less - he sits in front of his defence, picking the ball up and playing it on.  The Galvin of 2009 was up and down the field, but this one barely moves.  I think that he and the Gooch are doing the same job.

For me, this is about speed, and Fitzmaurice knows it.  It is the reason why he replaced Young with Griffin as opposed to O'Mahony or Brosnan.  Kerry will look to get into an early lead while their older players are fresh, and then try to stifle Dublin by playing very defensively.  They'll also need a massive effort from their 2 midfielders plus subs in that area.

If Dublin hold them for the first 20 minutes, I can't see a Kerry win.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013.

Post  champers Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

dublin beat Kerry with pace to win Sam in 2011 can't see how Kerry can cope in 2013 with a team that turns over so much ball and creates so many scoring chances if dublin decide to just tap the ball over the bar I can see them scoring 20+ points can't see Kerry getting within 7/8 points of that just heard dublin are wearing the same colours sunday

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Same as v cork with paddy at 14.

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:02 am

Dublin full back line creaky, bet fitzmaurice would give his left ( eye)ball Kerry for a 6' 6' inside target man to put them to the sword but it appears such a resource does not exist Suspect
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:04 am

champers wrote: dublin  beat Kerry with pace   (A dodgy free) to win Sam in 2011 can't see how Kerry can cope in 2013 with a team that turns over so much ball and creates so many scoring chances if dublin decide to just tap the ball over the bar I can see them scoring 20+ points can't see Kerry getting within 7/8 points of that just heard dublin are wearing the same colours sunday
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 am

bronco wrote:Same as v cork with paddy at 14.
Do you have the Dublin bench? would like to see how it matches up with the flawless Mayo bench.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Very simple if both Kerry and Dublin play as per the championship so far easy victory for the Dubs. Young Mark Griffen will face a baptism of fire on his Croke Park debut, Paul Galvin and D.Walsh will not have the pace, for McCaffery and McCarthy.Only hope Kerry have, is plenty of possession by half backs and Midfield to keep Dublin on the back foot. Its a big ask so I must say I am not confidentas the final ten minutes could tell against some of our older boys.The plus for Fitzmaurice is by bringing in more younger players he is building a team that will have to cope without at least 5 senior players next year.Dublin by 5 points being realistic.Evil or Very Mad 
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:25 am

I'd be a little bit surprised if Andrews starts - he's been nervy enough in championship games before. Dean Rock has probably been Dublin's most consistent forward with his 10 and 15 minute cameos - he should be in there instead.

Anyway, I'd be in the "don't be surprised if Kerry cause a shock here" camp but at the same time, would take the cautious option and go for a Dublin win.

I will also keep an eye on Colm Cooper - I am surprised to see Thomas Clarke rowing in with Joe Brolly on this one. I always noted Cooper's work ethic when he was a corner-forward and thought he worked plenty hard enough in the Munster Final. Maybe one of his many great skills is an ability to effectively use his energy - maybe against Cavan he decided there was no need to go full tilt. I would say one of the things that makes a good centre-forward is his ability to read the play. He nearly always makes himself an option for a pass. I don't think he'll put himself in congested areas of the play ever which is what Brolly seems to have against him. He'll be on periphery on it looking to receive a pass.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:32 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I will also keep an eye on Colm Cooper - I am surprised to see Thomas Clarke rowing in with Joe Brolly on this one.
My concern is not so much Cooper's luxury role, but rather that Galvin seems to be doing a similar job. Cooper is dropping very deep to find space, and that in itself isn't a bad thing (Marty Clarke did this to great effect for Down in 2010, operating behind his own midfield). My issue is that Galvin is also back there, and neither are covering enough ground. One luxury item (Cooper) is ok - two is being greedy.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi lads,

Tactical analysis of Dublin's win over Kerry now up, with a reference to Henry V to boot (took me a while to fit one in this season)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable game today, and one of the best I've seen in several years.

Kerry were as good as they could have been, and Eamon Fitzmaurice deserves a lot of credit for producing them in such rare form.  They went after Dublin at a frenetic pace, moving the ball so quickly and handling so assuredly.  The movement of their forwards was top class.

Kerry had early control at midfield, and the Dublin halfbacks were a total and utter mess.  Jack McCaffrey had a nightmare from start to finish, and Ger Brennan was just as bad.  The Dublin fullback line will get the blame for the 3 goals, but they were hung out to dry by the men in front of them.

Still, Dublin didn't wilt and, to their credit, kicked more scores than Kerry in that first half.  Having started like a hurricane, Kerry slowed the game after 20 minutes to get a breather, before coming with another burst just after half time.  If they had scored a fourth goal during that period they may have hung on, but Dublin were always likely to reel them in with their superior fitness and stronger bench.  It must be said, though, Dublin were extremely fortunate not to have had Johnny Cooper sent off at a critical time in the game.

Michael Dara MacAuley grew stronger as the game went on, and Cian O'Sullivan is much more suited to the half back line.  Bernard Brogan showed glimpses of form against Cork, and that came to fruition today. He isn't quite the player he was 3 years ago, but today will have done him a world of good.  I thought that Diarmuid Connolly was excellent, as good as I've seen him in a tight game.  Rock, McManamon and Bastick all played major roles when they came on.

Kerry will be pleased with some of their younger players, and in particular I liked Fionn Fitzgerald.  I was impressed with him when he came on as a sub in the Munster final, and he did a superb job today on Ciaran Kilkenny.  Although small, he has a bit of bite to go with his skills.  James O'Donoghue was another who really came of age, and he too has  some fire in him.

Kerry's trouble is what I've said on here for 3 years ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) - they just don't have the legs to win it anymore.  They are classy enough to go close, but every year they drift a bit further away, especially late in games.  Major surgery is required.  Tomas O'Se will go, as will Galvin.  Marc O'Se may stay, but he is well past his best.  Donaghy looks to have little left, while Bryan Sheehan, O'Mahony and Brosnan will also consider hanging up the boots.  Declan O'Sullivan doesn't have the same spark that he used to, but he'll be back.  Donnacha Walsh and Cooper are both over 30 next year, but both are still playing well.

Dublin will obviously be delighted, but they shouldn't be fooled into thinking that the hard part has been achieved.  Mayo are the side most equipped to challenge them physically, and it should be a fascinating final.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 am

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. - Page 2 Dubs10

disgraceful stuff from the Dubs here.

I agree it was a good game of football but there was as much cynical play there on view as there was in any other game this year.

But of course because its Dublin and Kerry there wont be a word muttered about it.......................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:06 am

Well my God but ye are the saddest and bitterest people in Ireland no doubt. Stop embarrassing yourselves. Well done Dublin on a wonderful game.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 am

KerryKatriona wrote:Well my God but ye are the saddest and bitterest people in Ireland no doubt.  Stop embarrassing yourselves.  Well done Dublin on a wonderful game.
only one person embarrassing themselves here - and thats you KK

When the shoe is on the other foot you dont like it one bit
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:22 pm

The only systematic cynicism on view yesterday was unfortunately your minor team and it was very sad to witness. But that's what they are being coached. Disgusting really.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm home safe and sound and on the voyage westward, Herself and myself ruminated on a great weekend in the capital. We were royally entertained to grub in some fancy gaff on Friday night, fed drink and repaired for night-caps (provided free of charge, unusually) to the lad's gaff.
They fooked off in Boxty's motor Suspect  to Electric Picnic on Saturday leaving me to the salibrous surroundings of The Ballinteer House while herself did a bit of "House tidying"...

HQ on Sunday.....epic. Great seats, great sets of partisan supporters around us (including a couple of lassies very much in love, who's constant kissing when Dublin scored attracted Nanny's attention) & great banter.

The game itself was, I thought, a classic, full of effort, passion, great movement, outstanding personal performances, a few horror shows and of course sadly a little cynacism. A couple of points please:

i). Colm Cooper was outstanding, particularly in the opening 35. He showed all his great qualities.
ii). Kerry's midfield (Maher & Buckley) were roasted after 20 mins. Bastick added to Dublin here after h/t.
iii). Connolly showed serious bottle and ability. He has lovely natural silky skills if a little hot-headed.
iv). Donaghy is finished. He can't get 12" off the ground any more. A wasted sub.
v). Dublin's attackers need more vision, charging through, too often fail to see the better option.
vi). The Dublin f/b line are decidely shaky. McMahon (when introduced) and Cooper should have seen red.
vii). Kilkenny, Mannion and McCaffrey appeared stage-struck. Put on the back foot, they were below par.
vii). When pressed, I was embarrassed by some of the "antics" of certain Dublin players.
ix). Quick, accurate foot-passing is back to stay. Kerry are good at this and we'll see them again.
x). The bench won it for Dublin. They went for scorers rather than containment and it worked.

Kerry will be back, with different options. Mayo are far from home and hosed. This is a serious Dublin outfit, fit, conditioned and eager, with Brogan on the cusp of his form of 2011. They'll be hard beat.

Mar focáil scór (For RKF).

As the game ended, I had a wonderful scope of Tomás O'Sé, as he meandered to the side-line in defeat.
He stood for 30 seconds, as the place erupted around us, a solitary broken but un-bowed figure.
He took the whole of the Hogan Stand in, wiped his sweat-drenched face with his jersey, kissed it briefly (Tomás is hardly an emotive lad), looked around again and sauntered 10 yards to pick what I took to be his young lad from 2/3 rows in front of us, had a couple of quick words, tap on the head, hoisted him on his shoulders and they jogged off toward the tunnel. There's life after football I'd say in West Kerry.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:15 pm

The most enjoyable game since Cork v Donegal semi final last year. Those that said Kerry won't have the legs to last 50+ mins were wrong, Kerry as i expected pushed the Dubs all the way were leading with 68 mins on the clock however and in fairness the Dublin bench was the difference by scoring 2-1 in the final 3 mins. Dublin have stronger bench than Kerry and its certainly stronger than Mayos and thats why they will win their 2nd All Ireland in 3 years.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:05 pm

I also thought it was a game for the ages - games with plenty of goals, points and chances are what the people like. Good defending isn't as appealing as lots of scoring. In fact, most people probably prefer games with bad defending though they may not realise it.

Cooper had a great first half - didn't see so much of the ball in the second and the knock on the head finished him. I thought the attention afterwards on Cooper took away from James O'Donoghue who was brilliant. He showed this form against Cork and remarkable now that he was dropped for the Cavan game. When discussion starts on all the players Kerry need to replace, we can all agree they've already found one replacement.

Connolly, McCauley, Brogan, O'Sullivan and McCarthy were the best of what started for Dublin (in that order). The substitutes had a big influence.

A number of things I would say about Dublin:

1. I don't know about Gavin - the key problems he's just ignored - the failing kick outs, the hopeless full-back line, the inconsistent forwards, the selfishness, the centre-back.
2. This has to be one of the worst full-back lines to make it to an All-Ireland final. Darren Daly lost his place half an hour before the Leinster Final and hasn't been seen since - could do with him. Philly McMahon and Mick Fitzsimons have to be closing in on a starting place.
3. Connolly always showed that class. Every time I watch him, he looks like he could be the best footballer of all time. Two reliable feet and so comfortable soloing. He does take a lot out of the ball though.
4. Gavin took off Brogan who had kicked four brilliant points from play and left Andrews out there all day despite making several mistakes in the first 20-25 minutes. I was baffled by that.
5. Changes I would consider for the final, McMahon -> Cooper, Bastick -> Brennan, Cullen -> Kilkenny, Rock -> Andrews.

I was surprised we didn't see Bryan Sheehan either. Also Donaghy for Galvin was a bad one. Galvin was going well enough and had managed to finish off two Kerry attacks with two points. He looked shocked enough himself when he was taken off.

Remarkable yet again - Declan O'Sullivan had it and kicked it wide - reminded me of his fumble in the 2011 final. What happens 20 seconds later, McMenamin is racing towards the Hill the space opening up before him. Back of the net. I wouldn't begrudge him a starting place in the final either.

Also not so sure about the picture of O'Carroll - picture maybe doesn't capture the whole incident. But Dublin definitely resorted to cynicism at the end, e.g. Andrews all over Aidan O'Mahony, McMenamin/O'Gara slowing a free 15-20 seconds later. I wouldn't criticise Dublin for these tactics but wrong to say that there was no cynicism.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:09 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:The only systematic cynicism on view yesterday was unfortunately your minor team and it was very sad to witness.  But that's  what they are being coached. Disgusting really.
BLAH BLAH BLAH - how do you know what they are being coached - are you there to watch their sessions?
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:The only systematic cynicism on view yesterday was unfortunately your minor team and it was very sad to witness.  But that's  what they are being coached. Disgusting really.
Dublin players this year involved in biting, gouging, head stamping, ankle breaking slide tackles. 
Clearly Systemic.

Three assaults on the same player. If it's random they should be doing the euro millions with Those odds
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:34 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I Remarkable yet again - Declan O'Sullivan had it and kicked it wide - reminded me of his fumble in the 2011 final..
Remarkably, from where I was, given the languid style of O'Sullivan, my view of it, the relevant tangents and Declan's affinity for "swooping away" when scoring it seemed a score......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:05 am

OMAR wrote:
Dublin players this year involved in biting, gouging, head stamping, ankle breaking slide tackles. 
Clearly Systemic.

Three assaults on the same player. If it's random they should be doing the euro millions with Those odds
Oh dear - you have a primary school misunderstanding of words here. Systematic and systemic are worlds apart. Disappointed in you - and you such a genius! Systemic indeed.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Dublin V Kerry: All-Ireland Semi-Final 01/09/2013. - Page 2 Dublin12

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bronco Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:42 pm

you know what they say a picture tells a thousand stories

bronco
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 am

KerryKatriona wrote:
OMAR wrote:
Clearly Systemic.

Oh dear - you have a primary school misunderstanding of words here. Systematic and systemic are worlds apart. Disappointed in you - and you such a genius! Systemic indeed.

Not proclaiming to be anything. 
Disappointment is an apt word if your line of debate is my standard of education.
Suggest a new thread as you have gone off topic, if this is what you are reduced to. 

For what it's worth I scraped through secondary and didn't partake of our third level system - though 
Appreciate it's probably well below your own. 

Systemic bolloxology
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2