GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone GT news

+23
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Armaghgeddon
bald eagle
Parouisa
The Puke
scoopmine
OMAR
bluearmy1
redhandman
hipster 2
Real Kerry Fan
GAA-Fan
Grenvile
RMDrive
Loyal2TheRoyal
patrique
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
mugsys_barber
27 posters

Page 9 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down

Tyrone GT news - Page 9 Empty Re: Tyrone GT news

Post  RMDrive Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote: He was a dirty player (not hard) and will always be remembered so. That is the legacy he chose for himself.

RMD, he was a small man, but was as hard as nails. When did you ever see him pull out of a challenge? (And I include his time playing against the Australians, when supposedly 'big hard men' were hiding).

I'm not denying that there were parts of his game that I didn't like, but the same can be said about many other highly regarded players. When the Gooch retires, I wonder will you dismiss him as merely a mouth and a diver? As Boc says, why just look at the negative?

Of course, Tyrone people are likely to have a more favourable view of Ricey than people from other counties, but to see him dismissed just as a dirty player is to ignore all his fine qualities. Ricey was a player who wrung the absolute most out of his ability. He was brave, inspiring to his team-mates, and was not short on pace, skill and attacking instincts.

BE, that is a fair point, and at least you are consistent. I was going to include both McGurk and Canavan on my list, but left ot at the other 3!

There is a scale of cheating and I would certainly rank deliberate attempts to hurt another player as being worse than diving to get a cheap free.
Maybe he did have some fine qualities, shame he decided not to emphasise them as much as his other "qualities".
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:02 pm

We have new sponsors!!! cheers

Tyrone GT news - Page 9 Hunkyc13

Not a bother says I rocker
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:45 am

RMDrive wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote: He was a dirty player (not hard) and will always be remembered so. That is the legacy he chose for himself.

RMD, he was a small man, but was as hard as nails. When did you ever see him pull out of a challenge? (And I include his time playing against the Australians, when supposedly 'big hard men' were hiding).

I'm not denying that there were parts of his game that I didn't like, but the same can be said about many other highly regarded players. When the Gooch retires, I wonder will you dismiss him as merely a mouth and a diver? As Boc says, why just look at the negative?

Of course, Tyrone people are likely to have a more favourable view of Ricey than people from other counties, but to see him dismissed just as a dirty player is to ignore all his fine qualities. Ricey was a player who wrung the absolute most out of his ability. He was brave, inspiring to his team-mates, and was not short on pace, skill and attacking instincts.

BE, that is a fair point, and at least you are consistent. I was going to include both McGurk and Canavan on my list, but left ot at the other 3!

There is a scale of cheating and I would certainly rank deliberate attempts to hurt another player as being worse than diving to get a cheap free.
Maybe he did have some fine qualities, shame he decided not to emphasise them as much as his other "qualities".

speak to any youth player at his club Dromore and you will get a different picture of the man. Its o coincidence that their youth system is thriving and he is at the heart of almost all of it. Not trying to defend the man - there were aspects of his game i didnt like - but there is more to the man than what the TV camera portrays.

Also for someone so 'dirty' can anyone tell me how many times he was sent off? You'll find it wasn't that often.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:52 am

You can't blame TV cameras!

You can be involved in unsavoury incidents that are not even yellow card offences so I don't think the 'lack of red card' defence is relevant. And you wouldn't grab someone's nuts in front of the ref either.

He may well be a great club man, unfortunately that does not change the impression most neutrals have of the man. And to be honest I can't think of a club in Ireland that would hold him up as a role model for their youth.

That is solely down to his own actions over the years - on camera or not.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am

Parouisa wrote:You can't blame TV cameras!

You can be involved in unsavoury incidents that are not even yellow card offences so I don't think the 'lack of red card' defence is relevant. And you wouldn't grab someone's nuts in front of the ref either.

He may well be a great club man, unfortunately that does not change the impression most neutrals have of the man. And to be honest I can't think of a club in Ireland that would hold him up as a role model for their youth.

That is solely down to his own actions over the years - on camera or not.

not 'blaming' cameras P, merely pointing out that the opinion many have of him is based on what they see on TV. However if you were to sit down with the guy and have a conversation with him or speak to people from his own club you might get a different opinion of the guy.

But us Irish are a begrudging bunch of bastards we always prefer to look at someones bad points than all the good they have done!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 am

for the record, speaking to a guy who marked Eoin Mulligan in the Tyrone Intermediate final a few weeks back. All i will say is the stuff Mulligan got up to off the ball makes Ricey look like a saint.

Disgusting stuff altogether and dont know how any man could tolerate it without retaliating, i'd have put him in hospital for a few days!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:22 am

Parouisa wrote: And to be honest I can't think of a club in Ireland that would hold him up as a role model for their youth.

Time changes many opinions, Par - I'm sure Charlie Redmond and Brian Mullins and some others are held in the highest regard by their clubs, yet there were many who spoke ill of them when they were playing.

The reason I find it hard to be critical of Ricey (and why I have a lot of respect for him) is less to do with his footballing ability and achievements, and more to do with this:

It didn't matter if he was starting in an All-Ireland final, or coming on as a sub in a McKenna Cup game in January, Ricey played every minute of football as though it was his last. Apparently he was the same in training. Even on a team as driven as Tyrone in the 00's, that was exceptional, with only Dooher being comparable in that regard.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 am

I have respect for what he achieved as a player. I have little respect for how he conducted himself on may occasions on the national stage. As I said though, a player you'd love to have on your team - but certainly no role model for youth.

And as I said earlier on thread this is about Ricey - not Mullins or Redmond or mugsy or anyone else.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am

honkey bloody doreys!
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am

Parouisa wrote:And as I said earlier on thread this is about Ricey - not Mullins or Redmond or mugsy or anyone else.

Agreed, but the comparisons were relevant to illustrate the points (mine re. his public perception in relation to others with similar track records, and yours re. no other team in Ireland wanting him as a role model).
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote: And to be honest I can't think of a club in Ireland that would hold him up as a role model for their youth.

Time changes many opinions, Par - I'm sure Charlie Redmond and Brian Mullins and some others are held in the highest regard by their clubs, yet there were many who spoke ill of them when they were playing.

The reason I find it hard to be critical of Ricey (and why I have a lot of respect for him) is less to do with his footballing ability and achievements, and more to do with this:

It didn't matter if he was starting in an All-Ireland final, or coming on as a sub in a McKenna Cup game in January, Ricey played every minute of football as though it was his last. Apparently he was the same in training. Even on a team as driven as Tyrone in the 00's, that was exceptional, with only Dooher being comparable in that regard.

TC i know exactly what you mean. I am not trying to defend Ricey in any way, he was a guy who divided opinion the length and breadth of the country, men from my own club wouldnt have had a lot of time for him on the field and yet when you see what he does for his own club its hard not to like him if only a little.

I know some of the stuff he got up was unsavoury to say the least. It does make you wonder though why such a talented footballer had to resort to this stuff, he didnt really need to. Some will say it gave him an edge over opponents, maybe it did but i would have thought his hunger, drive desire and footballing ability would have given him the edge over most opponents.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:We have new sponsors!!! cheers

Tyrone GT news - Page 9 Hunkyc13

Not a bother says I rocker

didnt see this one coming Mugsy, whoever pulled that deal off has done agood job in terms of the package Tyrone are getting. The details i hear are a six figure sponsorship deal that will last at least two years.

Does that mean 6 figure sum split over 2 years or a six figure some for each of the 2 years????

It means more new jerseys and more fecking money. I wonder can you buy a multi-pack of jerseys!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 pm

150k per annum from HD.

i would prefer if no sponsor on a jersey and set up something like club tyrone and get lots of busineses to contribute say a minimum of 1k up to what ever they want to contribute. have a "Sponsors wall" at healy park and advert in programme at all games. i liked the way we used to be with the jersey the sponsor and the design all made in tyrone - what connection has Hunky Doreys got to tyrone?

this would cut the cost of new jerseys every two yrs (along with hoodies polo shirts etc etc!)

redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Tyrone sponsored by a Meath man .... hardly hunky dory ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 am

redhandman wrote:150k per annum from HD.

i would prefer if no sponsor on a jersey and set up something like club tyrone and get lots of busineses to contribute say a minimum of 1k up to what ever they want to contribute. have a "Sponsors wall" at healy park and advert in programme at all games. i liked the way we used to be with the jersey the sponsor and the design all made in tyrone - what connection has Hunky Doreys got to tyrone?

this would cut the cost of new jerseys every two yrs (along with hoodies polo shirts etc etc!)

businesses already being drained by the whole Garvaghy project, no one has the funds to sponsor especially when your talking about £150k per annum.

Its crazy money when you think of it, i do agree with you on the point it would look better to have the sponsor from Tyrone but then we have bankrupted the last 3 so maybe its time to spread the misery, and no better place to start than Meath!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 pm

have you ever seen such a mess of a jersey?????

Tyrone GT news - Page 9 Tyrone10
on another note, clubs county teams and even the guys at HQ have often been much maligned for choosing Drink Companies, bookmakers etc as sponsors emblazoned across jerseys.

What sort of message is this sending to the youngsters in Tyrone are we now condoning the consumption of copious amounts of junk food??????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Armaghgeddon Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm

redhandman wrote:honkey bloody doreys!

Don't think the Tyrone players will look anywhere near as good as the women bounce
Armaghgeddon
Armaghgeddon
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Armaghgeddon Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm

bocerty wrote:have you ever seen such a mess of a jersey?????

Tyrone GT news - Page 9 Tyrone10
on another note, clubs county teams and even the guys at HQ have often been much maligned for choosing Drink Companies, bookmakers etc as sponsors emblazoned across jerseys.

What sort of message is this sending to the youngsters in Tyrone are we now condoning the consumption of copious amounts of junk food??????

At least that shirt doesn't have fecking eyebrows for nipples.
Armaghgeddon
Armaghgeddon
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Take off the logo, and it's a great retro-Jersey. Could almost picture Plunkett Donaghy in it, plucking a few balls out of the sky. But the logo... Shocked
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Take off the logo, and it's a great retro-Jersey. Could almost picture Plunkett Donaghy in it, plucking a few balls out of the sky. But the logo... Shocked
Take away the writing and it looks like someone smashed a large duck egg
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 am

OMAR wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Take off the logo, and it's a great retro-Jersey. Could almost picture Plunkett Donaghy in it, plucking a few balls out of the sky. But the logo... Shocked
Take away the writing and it looks like someone smashed a large duck egg

thats exactly what i said when i seen it first OMAR
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:07 am

It's anything but hunky dory. It's bloody awful and I'd be surprised to see fans buy it ... I wouldn't. I don't think the discerning Tyrone woman would be seen dead in it.

It's one thing getting egg on your face ... but on your jersey???
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

Parouisa wrote:It's anything but hunky dory. It's bloody awful and I'd be surprised to see fans buy it ... I wouldn't. I don't think the discerning Tyrone woman would be seen dead in it.

It's one thing getting egg on your face ... but on your jersey???

cant see too many buying it P to be honest - i know i'd rather be seen in a Leitrim jersey than this one!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Armaghgeddon Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:39 pm

On the field I had a dislike towards Ricey and thought he was a dirty little b***tard, but don't know him personally. I remember reading about something to do with him and either McConville or McDonnell, can't remember which one and McMenamin once said him that he was the only forward that he couldn't get a reaction out of, and even with him niggling him he still scored points.
Armaghgeddon
Armaghgeddon
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 pm

bocerty wrote:i know i'd rather be seen in a Leitrim jersey than this one!!!!

Wearing a Leitrim one would be a different level of embarrassment ...
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next