GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone GT news

+23
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Armaghgeddon
bald eagle
Parouisa
The Puke
scoopmine
OMAR
bluearmy1
redhandman
hipster 2
Real Kerry Fan
GAA-Fan
Grenvile
RMDrive
Loyal2TheRoyal
patrique
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
mugsys_barber
27 posters

Page 10 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down

Tyrone GT news - Page 10 Empty Re: Tyrone GT news

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Armaghgeddon wrote:On the field I had a dislike towards Ricey and thought he was a dirty little b***tard, but don't know him personally. I remember reading about something to do with him and either McConville or McDonnell, can't remember which one and McMenamin once said him that he was the only forward that he couldn't get a reaction out of, and even with him niggling him he still scored points.

had to be McDonnell - i think McConville was easy enough to rile
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 pm

It was McDonnell, and the story is that McDonnell asked him at the All-Star dinner in 2005 why Ricey hadn't even bothered to talk to him once. Ricey told him it was because he knew it would have been pointless, and he only did it on people he thought might be mentally weak.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Rumour has it Ricey decided to jack it in when he saw the new jersey .......
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am

An interesting read

McMenamin: I played on the edge to win

How will they remember you Ryan? He knows the question has to come and senses the rhetoric that may be attached to it. He knows it concerns something beyond the three All-Ireland medals, the All Star or his status as the player who revolutionised corner-back play – with his propensity to attack – and was just about the most audacious No 2 of the modern era.

He knows it's essentially about the other Ryan McMenamin, the man who wore a different game-face for 12 years from the one who is sitting across the table now, reflecting on that part of his life. The Ryan McMenamin he knew he had to be to extract the optimum out of himself.

He had long since reconciled that without that game-face, that edge, that streak that so easily wound opponents up, he just wasn't the same footballer.

So he appreciates that any citation now may reflect the misdemeanours more than the obvious achievements as a defender often portrayed as the heartbeat of Mickey Harte's Tyrone.

He says he is "comfortable" with that. Ideally, it's not what he wants but he knows that it's impossible now to fight the tide.

"I'd accept that. I know a lot of people would have written about me, about the negative side of the game," he says.

"I'd say they probably will (remember me for that) with justification but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

"I know that's what I've got in the media and that's probably what's out there. If you look at any of those GAA discussions boards I'm sure I don't get a good send-off. But I'm content with what I gave to football, if I did my very best for Tyrone, I'm happy enough."

"No one is going to go through their whole life perfect. My football career will be remembered more for the off-the-ball stuff. At the end of the day I don't really care. I played county football to win and that's all I did. I just loved winning. It drove me too far sometimes."

spotlight

In his defence, he claims that there were "five or six different players from different counties that were at the same, just not getting the same level of spotlight".

The game-face was the most important piece of his armoury in a career that dates back to 2000. It brought him to a different place, made him say and do things that were at odds with the street-face as Tyrone ditched convention and rejected reputations throughout a glorious decade.

The conscientious husband and civil servant with the Department of Agriculture, renowned for his good company and dry wit, would never approve of some of the incidents he got immersed in.

"I know a lot of people think the way I act on the field is the way I act in life. If I did that, jaysus I'd be in Maghaberry! I'd be in jail. I couldn't do that," he laughs.

He's tried to do it differently, he's tried to be nice and conventional. But to little avail. "I tried it many times before, not getting myself up, not getting myself ready for it.

"It just didn't work. I knew myself that I always play better when I am on the edge. At the end of the day I was getting no thanks when we were getting beat and I didn't have that game-face on."

Some of the incidents that brought him notoriety he regrets. Dropping his knees into John McEntee's chest in that ill-tempered 2005 Ulster final replay made him wonder about himself afterwards. "It was one of those things you look back at and say to yourself, 'what were you thinking of'. I rang John after that. He was happy with that, for it to be left on the field. He didn't want it to carry on."

It led to a landmark case in the Disputes Resolution Authority's fledgling days when they rescinded his retrospective four-week suspension prior to the All-Ireland quarter-final with Dublin on the grounds that the referee Michael Collins had already dealt with the incident by giving him a yellow card.

Grabbing Paul Galvin in the groin area during a 2009 league match in Omagh brought further notoriety and eventually a six-week ban but he insists that there was more humour than malice attached to that.

"That was the spur of the moment. I don't even know why I did it. It wasn't an actual punch. I was kind of half laughing when I did it. I was watching it back on TG4 and even the commentators were laughing. Och, I shouldn't have done it. Right enough I had good craic at the appeals committee with it. It was good craic listening to them on it.

"I know the wife (Maura), she shakes her head now. I think maybe after the Galvin incident she says 'enough's enough'.

"I chatted to Mickey (Harte) too and he says 'if you do it again I can't back you'. I said, 'I know, I know.' He said I'd have to channel that aggression some other way. When I was retiring we agreed that he was going to have less disciplinary problems, less trips to Dublin!"

There were other times when he was less willing to cop the flak. He knows reputation alone invited a charge after the infamous league match in Omagh against Dublin in 2006.

"I wasn't involved in any of the fights. It confirmed to me that I was a marked man, that I was being picked out in the media and that they were just looking for something to spear me with.

"If I didn't take that well I wouldn't have lasted in the game," he figures.

He has always maintained innocence too for the incident that derailed Colm Cooper for a critical spell during the first half of the 2005 All-Ireland final. No Tyrone player was punished but 'Gooch' was still floored in the Canal End goalmouth.

"Me and big Packie (McConnell) debate this all the time. When I turned around, he (Cooper) was on the ground. I absolved myself but I knew rightly I was going to get the blame.

"Big Packie says to this day 'no, no it wasn't me, it was you'. But I was standing in front of him. Big Packie says no it was me. I think he blamed me one time. I knew rightly I was going to get the blame here."

Nor does McMenamin accept that he said half the things to opponents that were attributed to him on the field.

"It wasn't like that. I wasn't chatting the whole game. There have been a lot of times I would talk in the game. Putting players right. You would see boys tell you 'ah shut the f*** up'. You would always give a comment back.

"But there was nothing ever wild, nothing personal. I think it has become more urban myth. I have heard more stories and you're left wondering 'did I really do that'. It was more chatting."

Early on, however, he appreciated how verbals could work and tells a story of some advice he got from a former Tyrone player.

"He told me to target this particular player. 'If he misses the first free, get you straight into him,' he said. Of course the player missed the first free and I was straight into him telling him about that.

"He missed three or four points and we won the game by three or four points. I got crucified but at the end of the day the player missed the frees and maybe I got him thinking about that.

"People may say it's unsporting or whatever but I'd watch a lot of American sports and I think it's accepted. It's part of the psychology.

"There are a lot more players who are worse than me but weren't getting the same spotlight as me, maybe because Tyrone are successful. I knew there were a lot of other players, plenty of our forwards were coming off saying 'jaysus he is a total tramp, he was onto me about everything'."

In his book 'The Gambler', Oisin McConville vividly recalled some of the dialogue he claimed McMenamin had engaged in. McMenamin held his counsel and is adamant that he remains on good terms with McConville.

"There was stuff in his book that I had a problem with, Conor Gormley had a problem with too. I know Oisin has beaten his own demons and made a great comeback but there is stuff in the book I could have made an issue about.

"I'd have a thick skin. I let it go over my head. To me, it wasn't right. What's done on the field is done on the field. It affected different ones. People in my club took it worse. It wasn't exactly as he put it, I felt. There were some bits I felt were mixed up."

Firming up a decision about retirement wasn't difficult. It was on his landscape from the beginning of the season. Somewhat aptly, it ended for him in Kerry in July, that thumping qualifier defeat in sun-drenched Killarney drawing a line under it all.

"It was great to play in that atmosphere in your last game. The scoreline didn't reflect it, the result didn't reflect it but at the end of the day going down among the Kerry people afterwards, they were telling you not to retire because they had no one to hate. A few of them said that to me! I enjoyed that and I enjoyed the banter."

The relationship with Kerry has been uneasy, he acknowledges, the legacy of winning all three Croke Park encounters that spanned the rivalry.

"We just loved playing Kerry. When they won the All-Ireland in 2004, their chairman at the time (Sean Walsh) said the natural order had been restored. There is no natural order.

"I thought the players didn't take it badly, maybe the officials, some supporters, maybe some of the coaching staff took it badly but none of the players ... I know Tomas O Se well, he was texting me since I retired... they never took it that bad. For a while they didn't like us but they respected us. Tomas never once cried about the style of play or what we did but at the same time, after we beat them, we felt we weren't being respected."

He says he never saw the fallout from the 2003 All-Ireland semi-final coming and picked up the Monday morning newspapers in Dublin expecting a different experience. "I was staying down in my wife's aunt's place. I went to read the back pages of some of the morning newspapers expecting to read about 'fantastic Tyrone' saying this will be great.

"We had got to an All-Ireland final and I couldn't wait to see what the papers were saying. Needless to say I didn't see any of those headlines. I didn't hear the famous 'puke football' jibe but it was on one of the back pages. What we got was total negativity.

"You have to look at where Tyrone were coming from. We were coming as a team to make our name. All we wanted to do was go and tear the whole pitch up. A lot of that was about Peter Canavan too. We were told we could never win without Peter. Everyone lifted their game once they realised they could beat Kerry without Peter (he went off injured). We threw away the inferiority complex we had."

The environment created by Harte where any internecine club bitterness was left at the door was something special. "If there was a club match and we bate the hell out of each other on a Sunday, once we went into the changing room there was no mention about it. All there was was a bit of slagging, a bit of craic. Boys didn't even have to shake hands. They just nodded and agreed. 'The oul' club's competitive isn't it!'"

Harte, he insists, is the right man to lead Tyrone forward for some time yet. In Killarney, when his own thoughts were turning to retirement, he sensed a renewed enthusiasm, even then, in the few words spoken.

Lately it's Mickey making the calls to invite players to trials again. But for 'Ricey' it's all over. The game-face has been put away for good.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Fair enough! Though I think he knows exactly how bad his verbals were! Reminds me a bit of a guy I played soccer with. Great lad, great company but once he went over the white line he'd break his mother's leg to win a game! Luckily she never played against us!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 am

Tyrone forward Owen Mulligan has said he may make a decision on his inter-county future this weekend.

Mulligan will be in action for Cookstown in the Ulster Club Intermediate Final on Sunday and says he may make a decision after that game.

The 31-year-old said a number of Tyrone players could join Ryan McMenamin in quitting the intercounty scene.

"There's a couple of players that have to think about the future including myself," said Mulligan.

"I'll maybe make a decision on Sunday when hopefully we have won the final," he said.

"I've made it no secret that I don't like playing in the Dr McKenna Cup and Mickey (Harte) knows that.

"I like to winter well as they say, so hopefully we can keep this thing going as long as possible and get to an All-Ireland final but we will take this game on Sunday first."

Mulligan believes that Tyrone are now in a period of transition.

"Tyrone have to rebuild again and they have the players and the underage set-up to do that.

"Ricey (McMenamin) doesn't owe Tyrone anything nor do players like Enda McGinley or boys that have gone before him.

"Three All-Irelands - you can't really complain about that there."
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Apparently Donaghmore men Damien McCaul and Niall McKenna have been dropped from the Tyrone panel. Boc/Mugsy/RHM - any of you able to shed any more light on this one?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Apparently Donaghmore men Damien McCaul and Niall McKenna have been dropped from the Tyrone panel. Boc/Mugsy/RHM - any of you able to shed any more light on this one?

TC you know more than me, have heard very little. All i knew was they are in the middle of trials but that was it
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 pm

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Apparently Donaghmore men Damien McCaul and Niall McKenna have been dropped from the Tyrone panel. Boc/Mugsy/RHM - any of you able to shed any more light on this one?

TC you know more than me, have heard very little. All i knew was they are in the middle of trials but that was it

quick update actually

TYRONE boss Mickey Harte has axed a dozen of his Red Hand senior squad ahead of the 2013 campaign, including a number of household names.

A host of seasoned stars have been culled from the squad in what is the most dramatic shake-up the panel has seen since their 2008 All-Ireland win.

Gaelic Life understands that those not included in the Red Hand plans include veterans Brian McGuigan and Owen Mulligan, while Errigal duo John Devine and Davy Harte have also been excluded from the 2013 squad.

The axe has also fallen on Dromore defender Sean O’Neill, midfielders Aidan Cassidy and Niall McKenna, defenders Damian McCaul and Stephen McNally, as well as attackers Peter Hughes and Ciaran Gervin.

The new-look Tyrone squad will gather for their first team meeting tomorrow night (Wednesday), and is expected to include Omagh St Enda’s pair Conan Grugan and Barry Tierney, Errigal’s Ciaran McGinley, Strabane and St Mary’s defender Danny McBride, Newtownstewart’s Kevin Gallagher, Clonoe attacker Conor McAliskey, and Kildress full-back Dean McNally.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 pm

bocerty wrote:
A host of seasoned stars have been culled from the squad in what is the most dramatic shake-up the panel has seen since their 2008 All-Ireland win.

Gaelic life are using the term "host" quite loosely here Boc. McGuigan, Mulligan and Harte would come under the heading of "seasoned stars" but that's it.
Is the Conor Grugan lad mentioned a quality minor from a couple of years ago? If so I thought him a tidy minor. Has he progressed and what's the word on Kyle Coney?
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 am

Teamtalkmag also has Cathal McCarron gone.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 am

All very well having a cull but if MH thought they were good enough over the last few years - and they weren't - where have the good replacements been hiding???
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 am

Parouisa wrote: where have the good replacements been hiding???

In the minors.

Subject to confirmation later in the week, the big surprises are not Mugsy, Davy Harte, Devine and McGuigan, as none of them have been automatic first choices for quite some time. Nor are Peter Hughes, Stephen McNally or Ciaran Girvan shocks, as they are young lads who didn't really make an impression last year.

For me, the 5 big surprises, and the big reasons for optimism are Sean O'Neill, Damien McCaul, Aidan Cassidy, Niall McKenna and, if confirmed, Cathal McCarron. These are all lads in their early-mid 20s, and all have seen significant game time in the last 2 years. They were all in the match day 20 throughout 2012.

However, Boxty is right, when he refers to the loose use of the term 'stars'. While they have all shown flashes of ability, none of these lads have really made the step up to becoming top class intercounty players. They all have good days and bad days, and all continue to make silly mistakes. Mickey is basically saying that these lads are good enough players, but that they haven't improved, and now he wants to give others a chance. What we are losing will not set us back.

The clean sweep of all these players means that spots are genuinely up for grabs on the Tyrone panel, with hardly anyone assured of a starting place. The newcomers, for the first time in years, will feel as though they have a real opportunity to start next summer. This should give rise to increased efforts and, hopefully, better team spirit.

So, well done Mickey. A good move, and hope to hear it all confirmed over the next few days.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

I have argued this point repeatedly.

I would even question Penrose here. Another who has flattered to deceive too regularly. He is a decent enough player of inter county standard but not trophy winning standard. I think Tyrone fans have built up too many Penroses over the last couple of years - perfectly understandable. You always want the new guy to be the next Dooher, O'Neill, Gormley, etc. Players like they had in the 2003, 05, 08 era do not come along too often. The luck is that they come along together at all!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

To be fair to Penrose, he did win an AI in 2008, causing Aidan O'Mahony lots of bother at CHF. He still has a role to play, and I'd have no objection to himself and Mark Donnelly being used as impact subs in the last 20 minutes of games.

But now is the time to try and see what else is out there. Maybe it won't be better, or maybe it will but will take some time, but it's time to look and see.

I agree about the 2003-5 squads. That was a collection of talent the like of which we might never again see in Tyrone.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 am

Yes I think ye were spoiled TC! And there is a possibly unfair burden on those that now follow. Kerry are about the only county that churn them out constant and conveyor belt like ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 am

Parouisa wrote:Kerry are about the only county that churn them out constant and conveyor belt like ....

Let's see if we are still saying that 10 years from now. There are a lot of counties much, much more organised than they were in the past. I'm pretty sure Kerry won't win 36 All Irelands in the next 100 odd years.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:I'm pretty sure Kerry won't win 36 All Irelands in the next 100 odd years.

You could well be right .... but I'm guessing you may not be around (for duration) to see if it happens!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Boxtyeater wrote: Is the Conor Grugan lad mentioned a quality minor from a couple of years ago? If so I thought him a tidy minor. Has he progressed and what's the word on Kyle Coney?

Grugan played midfield on the 2010 AI Minor winning side, and is indeed a decent prospect. I've read that he is currently injured and, like his clubman and fellow 2010 minor Ronan O'Neill, won't be back in training until March. For Grugan to be selected under those circumstances indicates that Mickey is an admirer.

Coney showed some flashes in the 2011 Championship, and his league form last spring indicated that he was finally ready to make a big impression. However, he got injured just before the championship, and was out for most of the summer. With Kyle, the question marks are decision making and determination, but he is 6'5, relatively mobile and has a huge, fairly accurate kick. Athletically, he'll be a nightmare for corner backs this year. I understand that Mickey rates him very highly.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote: Is the Conor Grugan lad mentioned a quality minor from a couple of years ago? If so I thought him a tidy minor. Has he progressed and what's the word on Kyle Coney?

Grugan played midfield on the 2010 AI Minor winning side, and is indeed a decent prospect. I've read that he is currently injured and, like his clubman and fellow 2010 minor Ronan O'Neill, won't be back in training until March. For Grugan to be selected under those circumstances indicates that Mickey is an admirer.

Coney showed some flashes in the 2011 Championship, and his league form last spring indicated that he was finally ready to make a big impression. However, he got injured just before the championship, and was out for most of the summer. With Kyle, the question marks are decision making and determination, but he is 6'5, relatively mobile and has a huge, fairly accurate kick. Athletically, he'll be a nightmare for corner backs this year. I understand that Mickey rates him very highly.

6'5 TC???? Are you sure
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm

bocerty wrote:

6'5 TC???? Are you sure

Well, I've never measured him, but I've seen him quoted as that. He's knocking on the door anyway.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:56 pm

I reckon he looks about 195 cms .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Teamtalkmag also has Cathal McCarron gone.

McCarron is still there TC, that has been confirmed by a number of sources.

It really is a big step for MH, he was never one for 'retiring' players but it seems he has pulled the curtain down on a few players careers.

Perhaps though this is only a panel for McKenna cup and it will see a few comings and goings before the League commences.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 am

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Teamtalkmag also has Cathal McCarron gone.

McCarron is still there TC, that has been confirmed by a number of sources.

It really is a big step for MH, he was never one for 'retiring' players but it seems he has pulled the curtain down on a few players careers.

Perhaps though this is only a panel for McKenna cup and it will see a few comings and goings before the League commences.

So I see Boc. Probably fair enough, but he really does need to up his game this year. The full squad is here:

I make that a panel of 39, with 14 completely new faces. On top of that you have Ronan O'Neill, Darren McCurry, Johnny Lafferty, Stephen McNulty and Ronan McNamee, all of whom were there last year, but none would have more than a total of 70-80 minutes league/championship football under their belts.

So effectively 19 new lads, plus the likes of Paddy McNeice, Conor Clarke, Mattie Donnelly and Ronan McNabb who all made their debuts last season. Certainly these are changing times in Tyrone, but there are still c.10 players who have played in and won at least one AI final, so we aren't short on experience either.

While I know what you are saying about it being a McKenna Cup panel Boc, I don't expect big changes during the league or championship. 39 players will reduce to 34-35 through attrition and injuries, but that is basically our squad for this year.

There were a couple of names I thought we might see but haven't, Richie Donnelly and Niall Sluddon being among them. Any word on these lads, or reasons why they haven't made the cut?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Awful news. Sean was a star minor last year who looked a certainty to make it at senior level.

Now that has paled into total insignificance, amidst a terrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers with the whole family.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 27  Next