GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone GT news

+23
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Armaghgeddon
bald eagle
Parouisa
The Puke
scoopmine
OMAR
bluearmy1
redhandman
hipster 2
Real Kerry Fan
GAA-Fan
Grenvile
RMDrive
Loyal2TheRoyal
patrique
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
mugsys_barber
27 posters

Page 8 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Go down

Tyrone GT news - Page 8 Empty Re: Tyrone GT news

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Looking forward to The Sunday Game on all-ireland final night, to see how RTE fill in the time when they have no-one to interview! Wink

thats an interesting point TC - if we did make it to the final and did go onto win it just how would RTE deal with that potentially tricky situation?????

I'd imagine that there would be some last minute negotiations, but Tyrone would be unlikely to back down when in a position of power. In many ways, it would be the perfect pulpit for Mickey to make his (silent) statement. In saying that, I don't agree with the stance, as it really is none of Mickey's business who RTE employ as commentators.

when Mickey makes his mind up on something he is a hard man to convince that he may have been 'wrong'
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Neither Alex Ferguson or Big Sam Allardyce don't speak to the BBC for entirely different reasons but Mickey on this latest crusade had the support of other managers initially who all came out in support of Brian Carty. Carty happens to be a very close personal friend of Mickey Harte. Since then all the rest of the managers have dropped their protest stance except Mickey. I know Brian Cody and Harte are right and friendly also, I'm not sure if Cody has spoken to RTE since or not but it will be interesting to see whether he does over the coming weeks.

Marty Morrissey may have struggled to come up with superlatives to describe the first half of the Donegal/Kildare game but will struggle even further to get anyone to talk in the City west after we win the All Ireland................. As a backup plan, myself TC and Redhandman will step up to the plate and offer our services to assist RTE and Marty in their hour of need. No point in asking Boc as he hasn't been at a Tyrone match since the '08 All ireland final Razz
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm

There was a rumour circulating this morning that Marty Penrose was the latest to withdraw from the Tyrone panel (yawn Rolling Eyes ),

However it does appear that an administrative error caused a few red faces in the Tyrone changing room at half time of the Rossies game. Mugsy had been told he was going in for Coney (which was quite strange as Coney was playing rightly) and Penrose was going in for Tommy. Just as the team was in the tunnel and heading back out, One of the backroom team noticed that Penrose wasn't on the list of 26 names given to Croke park even though his name was in the programme amongst the subs. This administrative error meant that he was unable to take any part in proceedings and young Dooher came in to play instead!!!!! (And played very well too it must be said Embarassed)
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:There was a rumour circulating this morning that Marty Penrose was the latest to withdraw from the Tyrone panel (yawn Rolling Eyes ),

However it does appear that an administrative error caused a few red faces in the Tyrone changing room at half time of the Rossies game. Mugsy had been told he was going in for Coney (which was quite strange as Coney was playing rightly) and Penrose was going in for Tommy. Just as the team was in the tunnel and heading back out, One of the backroom team noticed that Penrose wasn't on the list of 26 names given to Croke park even though his name was in the programme amongst the subs. This administrative error meant that he was unable to take any part in proceedings and young Dooher came in to play instead!!!!! (And played very well too it must be said Embarassed)

Agree with you there Mugsy about Coney. I thought he was excellent, and presumed he must've been injured. The only thing that made me think twice on that, was that he did pull out of one ball, and that doesn't go down well with Mickey.

I don't agree that Dooher played quite well. He played the 'Gavin Devlin' role, marking no-one and getting his hands on lots of ball, which he pushed 5 yards here and 5 yards there, but ultimately moved it nowhere. Still, I may get used to it, as that is what he will be doing until our season is over.

As for Penrose, in some ways, I hope that story is true, as I'd like to think he is fit for Saturday night. Better an admin error than him still struggling with injury.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Agree with TC on Dooher - I think the fairest term was that he was "busy" ran a lot - showed for a lot of ball
but everything he was involved in was lateral ( No Donegal related feedback needed on this point). whereas Cavanagh, hughes,Jordan and Mcmahon from Full back on a few occasions were penetrating much more. Best moment of the game wasn't even shown on Sunday Game Last night which I though was Jordans point where he started the move from his own 21 - oozed of class.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 pm

TC I said Dooher played quite well and this was probably said in comparison to what I saw in Omagh against Armagh in which I had basically written the man off for good. The one thing I would say is that both he and Colm Cavanagh provided some defensive cover for our full backs who were left completely exposed in the first half but of course the real test will be this weekend against the Dubs but it is as you say and we may just get used to it for the remainder of the season.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:TC I said Dooher played quite well and this was probably said in comparison to what I saw in Omagh against Armagh in which I had basically written the man off for good. The one thing I would say is that both he and Colm Cavanagh provided some defensive cover for our full backs who were left completely exposed in the first half but of course the real test will be this weekend against the Dubs but it is as you say and we may just get used to it for the remainder of the WEEK.

Very Happy
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Mullins getting the hang of "corrective" quoting I notice.... Laughing
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am

God the Tyrone lads are getting fierce bold ... Laughing and confident! Smile
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:55 am

Tonight sees a reply of the senior semi final between my own club Killylcogher and current champions Dromore.

Last week both clubs played out a 0.05 - 0.05 draw. We were hottly tipped to get stuffed and yet we more than held our own.

As the score suggests it wasnt a game for the purists, it was more like Donegal v Dublin last year. The winner goes through to meet Errigal Ciaran in the final.

We have been given something of a boost by the fact that former Tyrone defender Martin Swift who was forced to go to Australia in search of work has flown home (of his own steam and wallet) to play in tonights game. An incredible gesture by a man very committed to his football. He has been playing a lot of ball in Oz with Cormac McAnallen club so his fitness should be ok.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Ricey gone!!!!!!! Sorely missed. The kinda guy who you absolutely hated ... but would have on your team any day.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:31 pm

yeah ricey away surprised he came back last yr after not being used v dublin the year before , another dog of war that needs replacing . the raft of young lads coming through would need to take a look at riceys book to see the effort commitment and determination needed to get tyrone back to the very top.

hopefully they will integrate him into the under age back room teams al a jordan and dooher
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Sad to see Ricey go, as he really did bring so much to the Tyrone set up. A brilliant footballer, who expected the highest of standards from himself and his team-mates. Even in training, his attitude will be missed.

Although Mickey saw him as a sticky corner back, I always preferred him out at wing-half, where his drive, pace and attacking instincts were most in evidence.

Ricey finished with only one all-star, a tally no doubt affected by his image, but his worth to Tyrone enormous. A great servant and a brilliant footballer, and I'd be fairly sure that we haven't seen the last of him in GAA circles.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Sad to see Ricey go, as he really did bring so much to the Tyrone set up. A brilliant footballer, who expected the highest of standards from himself and his team-mates. Even in training, his attitude will be missed.

Although Mickey saw him as a sticky corner back, I always preferred him out at wing-half, where his drive, pace and attacking instincts were most in evidence.

Ricey finished with only one all-star, a tally no doubt affected by his image choices, but his worth to Tyrone enormous. A great servant and a brilliant footballer, and I'd be fairly sure that we haven't seen the last of him in GAA circles.

Fixed
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:36 pm

RMDrive wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Sad to see Ricey go, as he really did bring so much to the Tyrone set up. A brilliant footballer, who expected the highest of standards from himself and his team-mates. Even in training, his attitude will be missed.

Ricey finished with only one all-star, a tally no doubt affected by his image choices, but his worth to Tyrone enormous. A great servant and a brilliant footballer, and I'd be fairly sure that we haven't seen the last of him in GAA circles.

Fixed

I don't recall too many red cards (virtually none, in fact). He spoke plenty, but there was little in terms of dirty play, the drop on McEntee excepted. I think his consistency, on a top side, over 10+ years was worthy of more than 1 all-star.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:

Fixed

I don't recall too many red cards (virtually none, in fact). He spoke plenty, but there was little in terms of dirty play, the drop on McEntee excepted. I think his consistency, on a top side, over 10+ years was worthy of more than 1 all-star.

What was he doing to Galvin? Last year in the league he stamped on Paddy McGrath as he lay on the ground. Dirty and without class.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't recall him doing very much to Galvin - that was handbags, blown completely out of proportion given the profile of the 2 protagonists. The McGrath incident was a reaction to being fouled, although I admit it was unsavoury.

I never recall Ricey striking anyone, or hitting with elbows etc. He was a niggly, mouthy player, but he was also as hard as nails, despite coming in for considerable attention himself. I don't know him, but everyone who does speaks highly of him as a fella off the field.

I stand by the point of his performances being worthy of more all-stars.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 pm

funny how may folk remember some very isolated incidents and overlook the may good points he has.

He may have had a dark side but lets face it not too many Gaelic footballers dont, FFS at u12 games they are spitting at one another. He was a great footballer, very influential and had the heart of a lion. Wasnt the biggest footballer in the world but he didnt pull out of too may tackles.

Many who castigate him would call Canavan a legend, yet i know several guys who came off the pitch having marked him and they would use other choice words to describe him. Every bit as 'dirty' as Ricey and yet remembered very differently.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 am

bocerty wrote: Every bit as 'dirty' as Ricey and yet remembered very differently.

Tyrone GT news - Page 8 Images31
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:I never recall Ricey striking anyone, or hitting with elbows etc. He was a niggly, mouthy player, but he was also as hard as nails, despite coming in for considerable attention himself.

I watched him kick lumps out of a Wexford player (league game i think) while the cameras were on him and he thought no one was watching him. Kneeing and punching him while the Wexford player lay on the ground. Ended up getting lined for it as the umpires spotted it also. I'd call him a tramp but i don't wish to insult tramps!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am

Would you call Tomas O'Se a tramp? Or Paul Galvin? Or Martin O'Connell?

The point i was making was that these players are showered with awards, yet I'd say all were every bit as dirty as Ricey, some moreso.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Would you call Tomas O'Se a tramp? Or Paul Galvin? Or Martin O'Connell?

The point i was making was that these players are showered with awards, yet I'd say all were every bit as dirty as Ricey, some moreso.

Yes i would TC, and i'd also call Johnnie McGurk one as well. There's no questioning McMenamin was a great player but i have never had, and never will have time for people who use underhand tactics to the extent that the ones you & boc have mentioned.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 am

Ah the old "he was no worse than this other lad" defence. Don't know why Tyrone people expect others to admire RMM as they did. He was a dirty player (not hard) and will always be remembered so. That is the legacy he chose for himself.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 am

RMDrive wrote: He was a dirty player (not hard) and will always be remembered so. That is the legacy he chose for himself.

RMD, he was a small man, but was as hard as nails. When did you ever see him pull out of a challenge? (And I include his time playing against the Australians, when supposedly 'big hard men' were hiding).

I'm not denying that there were parts of his game that I didn't like, but the same can be said about many other highly regarded players. When the Gooch retires, I wonder will you dismiss him as merely a mouth and a diver? As Boc says, why just look at the negative?

Of course, Tyrone people are likely to have a more favourable view of Ricey than people from other counties, but to see him dismissed just as a dirty player is to ignore all his fine qualities. Ricey was a player who wrung the absolute most out of his ability. He was brave, inspiring to his team-mates, and was not short on pace, skill and attacking instincts.

BE, that is a fair point, and at least you are consistent. I was going to include both McGurk and Canavan on my list, but left ot at the other 3!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't buy into this comparing to other players or what other players legacies may or may not be. We are talking RMM here, end of story. I have said that he was the type of player you love to hate but would love to have on your own team. I refrained from further comment as it would not be complimentary to the individual. I am not one for canonising post-retirement.

ps I have never seen U12s spitting at each other Boc. I hope this is not going on in Tyrone. But it does show how important good role models are......
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next