GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin GG News

+33
patsymc
Podger
bluearmy1
bald eagle
Parouisa
KerryKatriona
redhandman
hipster 2
Thomas Clarke
scoopmine
The Puke
jimbodub
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
Royal_Girl2k9
Grenvile
black&white
whiterbananas
Floops
Omagh RedHand
Loyal2TheRoyal
mid-mon man
mossbags
OMAR
JimWexford
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
AdamG
RMDrive
Shinners
Jayo Cluxton
mugsys_barber
mullins
37 posters

Page 21 of 39 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 39  Next

Go down

Dublin GG News - Page 21 Empty Re: Dublin GG News

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:Is there a good buzz around the City for all the Finals Jayo or is Dublin so big that it's swallowed up?

Ah no the GAA village in Dublin is a small community. Most people here are rugby heads and Premiership heads or have no interest in sport - only heavy metal and pop music. So the minority GAA people here trundle along trying to keep the games alive. Its going well this year but is hard work. But the buzz among our little community is lively enough.

Went for a pint to my local on Monday night to dewind. Owner, a Dub,who is a big rugby head, strangely announced to me that he was dissappointed that Donegal did not win. When questioned why? To my surprise he admitted that the Dubs in the final would diminish interest in Rugby world cup in the media and also affect the increase in rugger following in the capital. I and the other customer both let him know how narrowminded his view was. He said that those he knows in rugby in the city (obviously private college heads) would be of the same opinion. Anyway just for his bigotted view if Kerry dont win I sure hope the Dubs do it. Shocked
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Remember going over the Southside to some rugby pub with a friend of mine who went through St Marys college to watch an Ireland v England game...Paddy what school did you go to St Marys he said big discussion about schools rugby erupted....What about your friend did he play rugby he looks like a hooker Mullins replied yeah i went to the school of hard knocks where was that Mullins Coolock....they were not impressed... Laughing
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:09 am

Jc how good was Barrys goal,the more i see it, i believe it must go down as one of the best goals scored by a Dublin player...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 am

Another great Ashbourne man...
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:20 am

Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:Another great Ashbourne man...

Don't tell me barry is living there pleasee
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:22 am

Actually no he isn't I misread the name. But I'm sure he will be at some point it's the place to be.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 am

mullins, hip - how many hurling All Stars we got? I reckon Rushie, Peter Kelly and Paul Ryan.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:mullins, hip - how many hurling All Stars we got? I reckon Rushie, Peter Kelly and Paul Ryan.

Jc it would be a disgrace if we didn't get them 3.....Mcguire would be close to but they would never give Dublin 4.....Really makes me laugh to think that any Gaa Hurling fan wouldn't give kelly 3 ,if he was from any other county he would be close to getting player of the year....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 am

mullins wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:mullins, hip - how many hurling All Stars we got? I reckon Rushie, Peter Kelly and Paul Ryan.

Jc it would be a disgrace if we didn't get them 3.....Mcguire would be close to but they would never give Dublin 4.....Really makes me laugh to think that any Gaa Hurling fan wouldn't give kelly 3 ,if he was from any other county he would be close to getting player of the year....

Dublin's rise through the hurling ranks has been good but they owe their efforts to outstanding teamwork and work ethic rather than feats of individualism. Plus the three players you nominate - well there has been better from Kilkenny and Tipperary. I've no doubt the Dubs won't go AllStar-less in 2011 but three would be bordering on crazy.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 am

mullins wrote:

I reckon Two
Rather than how many they deserve I think you need to think through where and against who:

To me Rushe is almost a cert though Fennelly is a dead cert -Rice is an outside chance but I reckon Rushe
I'd have McGuire/Cummins/Herity as a toss of a coin
In the backs I think Murphy, Tyrell,Tommy,Pa Maher and JJ are no brainers so its really only the Full back berth
I'd have Currran v Kelly at 60:40 - In the forwards - Shefflin - Bonnar Maher and Lar Corbertt are certs
so then Three from Ryan/Hannon/Power/Hogan/Mullane and Colin Fennelly
Hard to see that Kilkenny wont get at least two of these say Power and Fennelly
So then I see Ryan fighting with Hannon, Hogan and Mullane for the last spot - He might just get squeezed out

So My forecast is Rushe plus one from Kelly or McGuire - Most likely Kelly.
Mcguire to lose out to Cummins and Ryan to Mullane

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 am

I dunno if people are forgetting but the League also counts in All Star terms and Dublin won it - beating Kilkenny in the final.

Also I am not sure about Lar. Ok he got 4-4 (I think) against a shell shocked and poor Deise but he never got a puck in the one that counted - the Final - not a sniff.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:23 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I dunno if people are forgetting but the League also counts in All Star terms and Dublin won it - beating Kilkenny in the final.

Also I am not sure about Lar. Ok he got 4-4 (I think) against a shell shocked and poor Deise but he never got a puck in the one that counted - the Final - not a sniff.

Fair point though Bad finals for forwards have a habit of being "nil points" so if you are perceived to be better than everyone after the SF's with exception of those that improved in the final well then players seem to hold the line.

Defenders and Keepers however seem to be different - If they get roasted and concede scores there is "negative marking"
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I dunno if people are forgetting but the League also counts in All Star terms and Dublin won it - beating Kilkenny in the final.

who was the last player to win an all star for their league performances?

Since the backdoor was brought in league form hasn't been taken into consideration due to the fact that there are far more championship matches
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:06 pm

The Puke wrote:

Since the backdoor was brought in league form hasn't been taken into consideration due to the fact that there are far more championship matches

Can you back that statement up or his it more rubbish from you....try to add IMO after your post would help sometimes
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm

mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

Can you back that statement up or his it more rubbish from you....try to add IMO after your post would help sometimes

How is it rubbish. Name me one player that got an All Star for league performances since 2002? League form cuts no ice whatsoever anymore due to the fact that there are far more championship matches than there were 15 years ago when it was possible to get an all star for league performances as more than half the sides in the championship only got one game
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 pm

The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

How is it rubbish. Name me one player that got an All Star for league performances since 2002? League form cuts no ice whatsoever anymore due to the fact that there are far more championship matches than there were 15 years ago when it was possible to get an all star for league performances as more than half the sides in the championship only got one game

In 07/08 Waterford/Tipp both League final winners between them they got 7 All stars...Now can you explain how a team not reaching An All-Final could get 7 all stars,they won a Munster championship League winners..

For the life of me i can't understand how a team reaching a semi final could get so many,unless being league champions was considered...Galway got 1 less year but they only reached a 1/4 as league winners

Let remember the teams that beat Tipp/Waterford 07/08 lasted about 10 mins against the cats....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:19 pm

1991- Dublin won 3 all stars(football) Knocked out in 1st round of Leinster Championship so it has to be based on their league title won earlier in 1991.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:34 pm

mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:
mullins wrote:
The Puke wrote:

In 07/08 Waterford/Tipp both League final winners between them they got 7 All stars...Now can you explain how a team not reaching An All-Final could get 7 all stars,they won a Munster championship League winners..

For the life of me i can't understand how a team reaching a semi final could get so many,unless being league champions was considered...Galway got 1 less year but they only reached a 1/4 as league winners

Let remember the teams that beat Tipp/Waterford 07/08 lasted about 10 mins against the cats....

Hence why Waterford and Tipp got decent levels of all stars in both years. Waterford were excellent in the 2007 championship and had three epic games with Cork which were the saving grace of what was a poor championship, wexford got to an all ireland semi final that year and didn't get an all star, twas nothing to do with Waterford's league form and most would agree they were the second best team in the championship that year only to be caught on the hop by limerick after playing three weeks in a row. same with Tipp in 2008, they were very impressive against both Clare and Cork and were deserving Munster champions, the fact that waterford got hammered in the final also helped in this regard.

Again i wil ask you again if league form counts for so much name me a player who has won an all star due to his league form since 2002? like John Leahy did in 1994.
All stars are selected completely on championship form these days since teh championship was extended. Before that players used to get All Stars based on league form but not any more

The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm

i would add mc guire to that
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Rushe is a banker. Kelly and Maguire will share one between them, as will Curran and Cummins for Tipp. My hunch is that it will be Maguire. Keany was looking good for one too.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Dublin GG News - Page 21 Empty Puke

Post  mullins Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:24 pm

The only All star Wexford got in 04 was for winning Leinster.....Yet we have Tipp/Waterford sharing 7 for winning Munster in your book...Yet the team that beat wexford won Liam confused
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Of course the League counts especially in terms of a good league carrying into good championship form - it shows consistency. Not to say it counts on its own but combined with Champ can easily give a player the nod in a tight position.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 pm

mullins wrote:The only All star Wexford got in 04 was for winning Leinster.....Yet we have Tipp/Waterford sharing 7 for winning Munster in your book...Yet the team that beat wexford won Liam confused

It isn't just about winning Munster, it is about the manner in which they did it, both played great hunrling in Munster in 2007 and 2008 respectively and lost tight semi finals which were far better spectacles that the A/I finals and as I said the fact that the all ireland's were very one sided affair ment that more stock was put in these. The fact that Wexford were hammered by 18 points by Cork in 2004 counted against them in the All Star stakes as well
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Of course the League counts especially in terms of a good league carrying into good championship form - it shows consistency. Not to say it counts on its own but combined with Champ can easily give a player the nod in a tight position.

It may count in the form of the player and he building on his good showing in the league into the championship but league form doesn't matter a fĂșck when it comes to all star selection.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Jaysus Puke you just don't get it .... ever. Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton