GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland

+8
mossbags
Swinford2009
clash-of-da-ash
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
mid-mon man
GAA-Fan
RMDrive
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland Empty The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland

Post  RMDrive Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm

OK, it’s that time again (well actually it’s the first time but what the hell) when we argue about our imaginary open-draw All Ireland.

Winners will be chosen based on the arguments put forward by posters. While history and form will form the main basis for these judgements, a funny or crazy argument can (and will) win out on occasion.

So here’s the first round draw. In order to keep things simple I have kept it to 32 teams. London and New York played a preliminary round match behind closed doors with London coming out on top. Commiserations to New York.
The pairings were chosen using a random number generator from MS excel. You’ll just have to trust me that everything is above board.

There will be a fresh draw after each round. The best of luck to all the teams.

Roscommon
Meath

Mayo
Tyrone

Limerick
Antrim

Kildare
Westmeath

Cavan
London

Waterford
Fermanagh

Sligo
Galway

Monaghan
Carlow

Down
Wicklow

Donegal
Clare

Wexford
Offaly

Derry
Cork

Armagh
Dublin

Laois
Leitrim

Kerry
Tipperary

Longford
Louth

There are some intriguing matches thrown up here. Mayo and Tyrone, Derry and Cork, Armagh and Dublin. Let the arguments commence!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland Empty Re: The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Meath are going all the way here. Do I just say why I think Meath would beat Roscommon using history, past games and current form as a guide? Who chooses the winners? And can we help out other posters?

Back to top Go down

The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland Empty Re: The GAATipster Open-draw All Ireland

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Dont think Dublin have beaten us in the championship this decade...
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Meath are going all the way here. Do I just say why I think Meath would beat Roscommon using history, past games and current form as a guide? Who chooses the winners? And can we help out other posters?

That's about it Loyal. There will be some pretty obvious ones e.g. Donegal and Clare Cool so you can argue the case for Clare there if you want. It's more so the borderline ones that you should post on. Dublin v Armagh for example.
I'd expect Meath to go through to the next round unless someone can convince me that they shouldn't!!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:23 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Dont think Dublin have beaten us in the championship this decade...

It will be played in Armagh too!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Meath versus Roscommon
Meath have played Roscommon twice in the last four championship seasons and on both occasions the Royals were victorious. 1-19 to 0-09 in 2006 and 2-12 to 0-11 in 2009.

It would be a pretty amazing upset were the Rossies able to gain revenge on the Royal County for those defeats this time around. In fact, the margin of victory may even be bigger given how Meath have progressed this summer.

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:44 pm

Sweet Jesus, do my eyes deceive me? A handy draw for Monaghan? And at home too!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:48 pm

Donegal v Clare and Armagh v Dublin! My good man you have just knocked the open draw argument back about 20 years with your fantasy!!!

I can see it now

Donegal v Clare
2nd - Donegal v Waterford
3rd - Donegal v Carlow
semi - Donegal v Louth
Final - Donegal v Kilkenny
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:49 pm

mid-mon man wrote:Sweet Jesus, do my eyes deceive me? A handy draw for Monaghan? And at home too!

I could see Carlow putting it up to Monaghan for long periods of this game and it would certainly be no surprise to me if they got a result up in Clones. Daniel St. Leger who was in fine form for UCD last night would wreck havoc on the Monaghan defence and I'm not sure ye possess anyone good enough to stop him. It'd be close as these two minnows of the Gaelic Footballing world take on each other - a Carlow victory for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Donegal v Clare and Armagh v Dublin! My good man you have just knocked the open draw argument back about 20 years with your fantasy!!!

I can see it now

Donegal v Clare
2nd - Donegal v Waterford
3rd - Donegal v Carlow
semi - Donegal v Louth
Final - Donegal v Kilkenny

LOL. Yeah I knew that would look a bit mad but I swear to god that it was a completely random draw.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
mid-mon man wrote:Sweet Jesus, do my eyes deceive me? A handy draw for Monaghan? And at home too!

I could see Carlow putting it up to Monaghan for long periods of this game and it would certainly be no surprise to me if they got a result up in Clones. Daniel St. Leger who was in fine form for UCD last night would wreck havoc on the Monaghan defence and I'm not sure ye possess anyone good enough to stop him. It'd be close as these two minnows of the Gaelic Footballing world take on each other - a Carlow victory for me.

Ah I think we'd muster something together if it's only him we have to worry about then Loyal! I think we may just have enough in the tank, it will have to be emptied completely though. Perhaps the addition of Paul Grimley to the backroom team will give us a boost and will be the extra kick to edge us into the second round! Wink
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm not playing until you re-draw. Its quite obvious some balls were colder than others.

Not that I am running scared though. Armagh are a spent force. Yes they did have their summer in the sun - but the joy didn't last cos the opposition ran too fast.

Its quite obvious that this is Dublin's year though. Everything is falling into place. The lads bleaching their hair, the Herald with a 16 page pull out, the new Dublin FM and DubTV channels. Yes we are keeping it quiet - but Armagh will fall on our sword. We haven't lost a game in September since 1994!! cheers
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 pm

They might be a spent force but we would still shoot Dublin down out of the sky. It always the same with Dublin they can beat anyone within Leinster but as soon as they escape Leinster they find themselves out on their arses again for another year.

Come to think of it RMD, im suprised all the Ulster teams didnt draw each other.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:00 am

GAA-Fan wrote:
Come to think of it RMD, im suprised all the Ulster teams didnt draw each other.

Yeah - so they could knock each other out - before Wicklow did ........ Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:03 am

This draw is tailor made for Leitrim to overturn Laois in O'Moore park.
The bigger and firmer pitch there is more suited to our open and expansive style and it's proximity to major industrial centres like Mountmellick and Stradbally will ensure a maximum turn-out of the Leitrim diaspora.
There is no need to point out the many shortcomings attaching to this current Laois outfit. Morale is at an all-time low in the county and rumours abound that the 2009 c/ship will have to be abandoned due to lack of interest.
The exertions of the up-coming Electric Picnic will further decimate this forlorn band of rag-a-taggles.
On the other hand with the commercial weight of the Hanly/Laragan companies Mad behind us, expenditure on the panel has been ratcheted up to an all time high. Training camps in Carton House and the Slieve Russell hotel complexes are now the norm. No more the slogging away in muddy fields in Cloone and Aughawillian for our warriors - no sir. The best deserve the best.

We have had many noted guests giving talks to our troops recently, last night Brian Cody addressed the squad and 2,000 eager members of the supporters club at a function in the CityWest (Brian whispered to me that all was "kushdie" down by the Nore).

Among the gathering were lesser luminaries such as Muhammed Ali who extended his trip to meet Leitrim legend Packy McGarty.
Packy announced to rapturous applause that "if I'm needed for the latter stages I'm in good shape yet".
Despite recessionary times here in the West, local bookmakers such as Pyramid and Shannonside have been forced to suspend betting on the outcome of this clash. Luckily the initial stage payments of the "cheque from Brussels" have arrived.

Further information on CNN sports (for our friends in the USA) or go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:

Yeah - so they could knock each other out - before Wicklow did ........ Laughing

Ah lads, hand on heart it is a genuine draw.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 am

Boxtyeater wrote:This draw is tailor made for Leitrim to overturn Laois in O'Moore park.
The bigger and firmer pitch there is more suited to our open and expansive style and it's proximity to major industrial centres like Mountmellick and Stradbally will ensure a maximum turn-out of the Leitrim diaspora.
There is no need to point out the many shortcomings attaching to this current Laois outfit. Morale is at an all-time low in the county and rumours abound that the 2009 c/ship will have to be abandoned due to lack of interest.
The exertions of the up-coming Electric Picnic will further decimate this forlorn band of rag-a-taggles.
On the other hand with the commercial weight of the Hanly/Laragan companies Mad behind us, expenditure on the panel has been ratcheted up to an all time high. Training camps in Carton House and the Slieve Russell hotel complexes are now the norm. No more the slogging away in muddy fields in Cloone and Aughawillian for our warriors - no sir. The best deserve the best.

We have had many noted guests giving talks to our troops recently, last night Brian Cody addressed the squad and 2,000 eager members of the supporters club at a function in the CityWest (Brian whispered to me that all was "kushdie" down by the Nore).

Among the gathering were lesser luminaries such as Muhammed Ali who extended his trip to meet Leitrim legend Packy McGarty.
Packy announced to rapturous applause that "if I'm needed for the latter stages I'm in good shape yet".
Despite recessionary times here in the West, local bookmakers such as Pyramid and Shannonside have been forced to suspend betting on the outcome of this clash. Luckily the initial stage payments of the "cheque from Brussels" have arrived.

Further information on CNN sports (for our friends in the USA) or go to [url=http://www.riptheirheadsoff.com
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Leitrim definitely favourites after this magnificent post.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:20 pm

I though that we were going to draw youse!lol

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:

I though that we were going to draw youse!lol

Ah sure there's always the next round! Mind you, yis have alot to do to get there after drawing Cork!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Right, the matches haven't been played yet but heres the way things are looking so far. BTW there's no draws in this competition. The fixture list is too crowded.

Roscommon
Meath

MEATH WIN

Mayo
Tyrone

TYRONE WIN

Limerick
Antrim

TOO CLOSE TO CALL YET

Kildare
Westmeath

KILDARE WIN

Cavan
London

CAVAN WIN

Waterford
Fermanagh

FERMANAGH WIN

Sligo
Galway

TOO CLOSE TO CALL YET

Monaghan
Carlow

MONAGHAN WIN (BARELY Razz )

Down
Wicklow

TOO CLOSE TO CALL

Donegal
Clare

DONEGAL WIN (WITH RMDRIVE SCORING 4-16)

Wexford
Offaly

TOO CLOSE TO CALL

Derry
Cork
CORK WIN

Armagh
Dublin
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

Laois
Leitrim
LEITRIM WIN (CAUSE OF BOXTY!)

Kerry
Tipperary
KERRY WIN

Longford
Louth

TOO CLOSE TO CALL
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Jaysus we scraped through that one, but sure maybe it'll do us better in the long run, go into the next round under the radar! Wink
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:19 pm

I believe Derry should walk this fixture...we don't even have any Cork Posters ffs!!

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:I believe Derry should walk this fixture...we don't even have any Cork Posters ffs!!

Not good enough Niamh. All the form says that Cork are going to win it unless BE or yourself can state why not.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:07 pm

What's the date for the Laois/Leitrim confrontation RMD? We wouldn't want to peak too early. Anytime before Monday will do as they are mentally on the skite in Stradbally.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:What's the date for the Laois/Leitrim confrontation RMD? We wouldn't want to peak too early. Anytime before Monday will do as they are mentally on the skite in Stradbally.

All games will be run off tomorrow Boxty and the draw for the next round will be made on Sunday.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next