GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

+7
Grenvile
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
RMDrive
OMAR
Parouisa
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  OMAR Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Shook is a Leitrim-ism for not feeling as well as you ought to feel.

After 40 years of wedded bliss, celebrated in a style befitting the occasion over a lock of days, Boxtyeater is quare** shook as he types.
Neither Boxty nor the War Office realised how many cousins/relatives we ever had.

Meanwhile Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 Smiley14

** Our oldest grandchild says quare isn't a real word...

Replace the qa with a c and you have a proper and helpful word.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:39 pm

[quote="Boxtyeater"]Ouch!!!!

Hard to fathom the Management's actions here. Personally I'd have preferred if the matter had been handled in-house, but that's water under the bridge at this stage. They're all only young lads and had a few pints on Saturday evening after championship matches. Didn't we all FFS.

Boxty's early defense of the actions of some of these lads has, in fact, been badly misplaced. My initial concept of "a lock of pints after a match" doesn't quite do justice to what actually took place. Falling asleep at the counter of a licensed premises in the middle of the afternoon is not "kosher" even hereabouts.Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 Smiley16
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Pairc Seán is the place for followers of the Green and Gold on Sunday (throw-in 3.30pm).

FOIREANN LIATROIM:

Cathal McCrann (Gortletteragh).

Alan Wynne (Allen Gaels).

Ciaran Egan (Gortletteragh).

Gary Reynolds (Carrigallen).

Danny Beck (Mohill).

Enda Williams (Clonguish).

Barry Prior (Aughawillan).

Darren Sweeney (Glencar Manorhamilton).

Brendan Brennan (Melvin Gaels).

Paul Brennan (Melvin Gaels).

Emlyn Mulligan (Capt) (St Brigid’s).

Paddy McGowan (St Patrick's Dromahair).

Kevin Conlon (St Patrick's Dromahair).

James Glancy (Glencar Manorhamilton).

Robbie Lowe (St Mary's).

Given we're without 6 first-team players through indiscipline and injuries this is about the best 15 we can currently muster. The h/b line is causing me concern, Williams and Beck aren't the biggest and while comfortable on the ball they are likely to be pressurised behind what looks a makeshift m/f.
Gary Reynolds (fitness doubt) would provide strength and may be called out from the 4 position should leaks appear.
The inside forward line won't set too many scoring records, Adrian Croal and Ray Cox are badly missed (injured) so we must pin our faith in Mulligan to be on top of his game yet again.
I'm not confident, looking at the positioning, but will be having a bit of PP's offering of 5/6 (-1).

Forza Leitrim.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Ouch!!!!

Hard to fathom the Management's actions here. Personally I'd have preferred if the matter had been handled in-house, but that's water under the bridge at this stage. They're all only young lads and had a few pints on Saturday evening after championship matches. Didn't we all FFS.

Boxty's early defense of the actions of some of these lads has, in fact, been badly misplaced. My initial concept of "a lock of pints after a match" doesn't quite do justice to what actually took place. Falling asleep at the counter of a licensed premises in the middle of the afternoon is not "kosher" even hereabouts.Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 Smiley16

Used to be how you knew county players in Donegal - Tuesday afternoon used to be the wall after a good sunday night.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 pm

RMDrive wrote:4 players dropped. Will you stop buying the lads pints Boxty!

A thought has been niggling me this past few days. I happened to be having a lock of creamy ones the other evening after a removal and bumped into one of the 4 "disciplined" players. He had a drink or 2 taken (nothing more) and we got chatting while out in the smoking area.

He's in a bad state, mentally, I'd imagine. Very upset at the way things panned out, regrets, remorse, shame, the whole kit and caboodle.
Says he let everyone (parents, players, club) down badly. We had a bit of a chat, discussed the part played by the media and on-line boards.
I'd hope for his sake we get over London, because if not, then this lad is going to feel worse....

It's a sinister scenario that I envisage, please God nothing untoward happens. Sobering thought really.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
He's in a bad state, mentally, I'd imagine. Very upset at the way things panned out, regrets, remorse, shame, the whole kit and caboodle.
Says he let everyone (parents, players, club) down badly.

It goes back to the point that I was making from the outset, about managers flexing their muscles without really considering the consequences of their stances.

There are unfair expectations being placed on lads nowadays, and it really isn't fair. A professional athlete is compensated for the pressure and rigours placed on him, but your young friend in Leitrim is not. It's only a game, at the end of the day - nothing to feel ashamed about to anything approaching that extent.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:
Says he let everyone (parents, players, club) down badly.  

It goes back to the point that I was making from the outset, about managers flexing their muscles without really considering the consequences of their stances.  

There are unfair expectations being placed on lads nowadays, and it really isn't fair.  A professional athlete is compensated for the pressure and rigours placed on him, but your young friend in Leitrim is not.  It's only a game, at the end of the day - nothing to feel ashamed about to anything approaching that extent.

Very interesting to hear this from Boxty. We put a lot of weight on our young players shoulders. The decision always lies with the player though. If he wanted to go on a session then why not stand up in front of his team mates and explain why he wants to do that and why he doesn't believe that it will affect him as a player. No-drinking agreements come from within. That group of people decided to make certain sacrifices because they felt that those sacrifices would help them become better as a group. You can't have it both ways. Either have the balls to say up front that you disagree with the "rules" or else commit to them like everyone else. The choice lies with the player.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Before the London game on Sunday which i expect Leitrim to win by 4 to 6 points. Leitrim minors have to travel to Castlebar to face Mayo, can they give a good account of themselves 7/1 to pull off a shock win.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:Before the London game on Sunday which i expect Leitrim to win by 4 to 6 points. Leitrim minors have to travel to Castlebar to face Mayo, can they give a good account of themselves 7/1 to pull off a shock win.

In a word NO....Out of their depth big time. Not enough effort being put into minor at all.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 pm

One doesn't want to risk bumping into country bumpkins it seems. Boris Johnson being warmed up on the sideline as we speak....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 pm

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:02 pm

OMAR wrote:

Some of those are quite witty.

In other news, the atmosphere is decidedly low-key. Unlike Donegal/Tyrone, our folk don't take football all that seriously. Given our small population and proximity to the "non-compliants", the fact that we know the lads, their mothers and fathers, there's a marked reluctance to fully endorse the actions of the Management team.

The Dauber phrased it nicely when wondering were they training to join the Poor Clares.*

*The Poor Clares are a closed order of Nuns below in Drumshanbo.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 pm

I neglected to add in my last post that I spent a solid half-hour this morning conversing with my avatar.....
I was motoring at 10 MPH across the town to the Co-op when I spots Da Kid strolling towards the commercial district....

Looking like a man in his late 60's, he was bouncing along in search of a bit of banter.

We discussed the current crises and I must say he provided a slant on it that I hadn't considered. Forum rules may not permit publication, so I may rest upon that, but he may have a point.

He's happy to participate in a Q&A slot but, no more than yours truly, doesn't have all the quick answers (e-mail, mobile) to hand.
"If it rings I'll try and answer it" approach.
A really good moment, as anyone passing recognised him immediately and took time to ramble over to share a memory.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:24 am

Ah Yeah!!!......A batch of fookers land on your house.....Is there no winkie for sound/unsound fookers...Suspect

We had the Dauber & Sons, uttering quotations from the JFK regime, regaling days of yore, involving McGarty and Cathal Flynn, the exploits of the Quinns (Footballers and Business people), the days of the Celtic Tiger (against Dan) the story of the 3 cottages (aquired) the night of the monkey suit, the loss of the County final of 2003, merged into the last winning team of 1932 when our respective Fathers played.

Days of bullsh1t games against forgotten foes, who are now counted as friends, porter in Drumshanbo, Ballinamore, Cloone or even The Viking....

50 odd years on, your name is on the Roll of Honour, all worthless....The lads I played with and against 50 years ago are medals in themselves....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Lucky to get another crack at this one....

The loss of Mulligan seemed to cause major dis-organisation but fair play to Paul Brennan and Sweeney in the middle of the field.
McCrann with a tremendously plucky save about 5 minutes from the end to keep us in it. We had a 45' to win it, but rather than let McCrann have a cut at it they opted for Ciaran Egan from full-back.....5 yds. wide.

Replay next Sunday in the Hyde. It'll suit us better than them, although they are a big physical team who are not afraid to hit.
The status on Mulligan is un-clear but we'll wait and see. In any event Mayo are home and hosed in Connacht.

Godd to see rakes of the Rossies lustily supporting London....Evil or Very Mad
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Well done to both teams. Got the tail end of it on the radio and it was exciting stuff. Think it's a little unfair on London that the game doesn't move to Ruislip.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:27 pm

RMDrive wrote:Well done to both teams. Got the tail end of it on the radio and it was exciting stuff. Think it's a little unfair on London that the game doesn't move to Ruislip.

It's more than a little unfair. No wonder Boxty is so pleased with getting the game in Hyde - imagine that party loving Leitrim squad on a weekend in London!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 pm

In the light of a sterling performance on Sunday the frequently mentioned Barry Prior has been selected on this weeks "Team of the Week" at No. 7.
Another rousing performance from the intrepid Barry next Sunday should see him nailed on for the All-Star later on in the year.....

Good man Barry, keep her lit....

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 35675510
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 pm

The "Anyone making hay" thread, so nobly started by L2TR 5 years ago, has been converted into silage and wrapped it appears.

The annual "week of horrors" has come and gone and from my point it's done and nearly dusted at this juncture. I've kept to tradition and to the
smug smiles of all, have continued with the trusty square baler that has continued to function for 25 odd years. Cute as a snipe, the Dauber rang the house early to ascertain the programme of events and having been advised of the level of Boxty's B/P and mounting tensions arrived with more equipment, a Junior Dauber and 2 hardy górsóóns of Grandchildren. Did I mention the slab of Heineken....

The Crane, Dan informs me, is more sought after than a medical officer at a Wicklow Junior Final....He's the length and breath of the county, welding balers, fixing PTO's, re-charging batteries and God knows what. Dan informed me that he had to mow the Crane's few acres himself yesterday as the man himself was "big tired". According to Dan, the eldest Crane (15) is doing the driving to these repair jobs in the van, while Daddy Crane is tinkering with various appliances in the back.

Doubtless we'll all be down at the Crane's tomorrow to assist in whatever is taking place. Naturally, the regular machinery technicians are all
"pedal to the board" these days but the Crane's "24/7 - distance no object" approach is scoring heavily......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Danny Beck rated as "doubtful" while Mulligan is "likely" to start according to a C/B official I met today.
Beck, though small of stature, is a wonderful raider down the right flank and while a loss, is replaceable. I'd bring out Gary Reynolds from 4 and slot in Shane McWeeney or Fabian McMorrow to the corner back berth. Management will no doubt bring Colm Clarke in at r/h/b, he won't let us down.
An embarrasment of talent such is our squad depth....I might name an auxiliary 15 such are our riches currently (and lads disciplined to boot)....

The Mulligan issue is more tricky. Pro's and con's. We tend to funnel everything through him and given the efforts last Sunday at making inroads,
we have nobody who can orchestrate matters quite like him. Barry Prior has a solid head on him and could fill the role but they're unlikely to risk his possible All-Star.

Confidence levels are at 8.46/10 and rising....Hay saved and the Rossies out, how much better can it get.....Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 4 Food-s24
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Leitrim almost overcome a 14 point defecit. Would have a remarkable acheivement for a county with 30,000 people to defeat a team with a pool of over 8,000,000
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:15 pm

In the door, in a foul mood.......

Simple mistakes by the players, rectified by a storming comeback, ruined by poor option taking.

We controlled the ball, 25 yds. out in lost time and after 2/3 shovels sideways, no man was man enough to level it.....Grrrrr.

My issues with Management are documented here (with a mild retraction). Starting Mulligan was a gamble akin' to Cody starting Shefflin before.
We're not Kilkenny who have options. The Beirne Bros, Wayne Mac and Moran would have seen London off last week....

Congrats to London, they took their chances, rode their luck and are in a Connacht final.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:45 pm

I watched this game and, although a bit scrappy, found it highly entertaining. Both sides full of endeavour, and London just made that little bit more use of what appeared to be a very strong wind. Leitrim showed great heart in battling back, but they showed too little early on. I felt that if they had battled as hard against the breeze as London did, they would have edging a victory. I don't know enough of the Leitrim players to get a feel for the difference the dropped 4 may have made, but certainly Mulligan was a huge blow when unable to continue.

One of the great things in sport is balance. Leitrim's run to the final in 1994 was perhaps the biggest shock in the history of the Connaught championship. London's run to the final this is also well up there.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:11 pm

With the additional pressures of the Tipster competition, I'm finding composure hard to come by, but my initial feeling is one of anger/distrust at the
team's Management. OK, some may say that they're right (possible) but we're not Donegal/Dublin/Kerry.

Their early actions regarding the 4 lads "may" have been right, the lads indeed made a cock-up, but we're Leitrim, where their replacements, or any semblence of replacement are scarce on the ground. Alternative disciplinary action should have been sought.

The gamble on Mulligan backfired, both days. He's a good, honest lad on his day, but truth be told, he hasn't performed for us in the c/ship for the past 3 years because of injuries. He's moved clubs to St.Bridgets in Dublin, let him take his chances there with Dublin.

For 30 of the opening 35 we were destroyed in the middle 3rd. as London showed appetite and fight, where we were on the back foot, slow to close down space or man and paid the price. Darren Sweeney was a huge loss, his grit and physical stature were missed and his departure signalled our collapse. Despite exhortations from myself, The Dauber remains off-line. Tonight I'm grateful for this small mercy.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 am

London certainly rode their luck to reach the Connacht final not just against Leitrim but against Sligo too. It hard to begrudge London, two games two defeats is what they normally experience, all the hard training has paid off with Connacht final place and round 4 tie now. Leitrim will no doubt look back on missed chance, only had to beat New York,London to reach their first Connacht final since 2000 maybe it would have been better to face Sligo in the semi final who knows?

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next