GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

+7
Grenvile
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
RMDrive
OMAR
Parouisa
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 6 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 am

Pursuant to the "Christmas Greetings" thread, Boxtyeater can vividly recall a Christmas Eve almost 60 years ago when the following "happenstance" occurred:

It was 1955/56, long before we were electrified (1965) and we had a small bitéén of stock housed (circa 16).
Motor cars were scarce, but Boxty Mór had a Morris 8. We were visiting an aunt on Christmas Eve and on the way home found the rate-collector (the late Jimmy Gildea) passed out with the engine running at a
cross-road.
Boxty Mór got out to investigate, found Jimmy comatosed from drink with a wedge of rate-money in a
pouch/holdall thingy. The oul' lad instructed my brother (he was 10) to drive the last half-mile home and water the cattle and he'd see us later.

On the crispest/clearest Christmas Eve I'll ever recall, we drew 40 buckets of water up from the lake between us in high glee. Boxty Mór walked the 8 miles back from Jimmy Gildea's and was always embarrassed when we'd raise the matter as we got older...

To be fair to the late Jimmy Gidea, he visited on St. Stephen's Day and proffered £20. Boxty Mór was off on the Wren and Mammy said it wasn't on..... Gildea then produced a couple of bottles of Hennessy...Winner..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 6 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  OMAR Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:42 am

Looking for Boxtys input on this one.

Wife dragged me into a highland tour of far distant relations to spread the festive cheer.
Landed at her uncles ( rustic bachelor type) somewhere in the wilds of south Tyrone.
More familiar with St Matthew than St emillion. Anyway as tea was being made on a turf range the old buck did the honorable and rustled up a sherry glass of powers and a bottle of stout.
Omar being the cautious type glanced a the label and his suspicions were confirmed.
The porter had an expiry date when Dubs were still in football wilderness and cowen was at the country's tiller.

Boxty what's the protocol here?
( I drank the whiskey - wet the beer glass - and managed to pour the rest of the stout down the flusher while he was tending to the dog)
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 pm

I had two regulars who supped on bottles of Stout. The older the date of expiry the better. 'Like a Fine Wine' seemed to be their motto...

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Jonsmith on the money here.....To be fair, I have scant regard for all these "use by/best before" missives.
Coming from an era before this syndrome, I'd have poured the bottle slowly and if it kept a head would have merrily dispatched it.
I was asked for my opinion on a slab of Heineken a lad found in a shed there a month ago. It was of a vintage not too far distant from OMAR's tale and I said "Hmmm". Asked would I try them out and summarily agreed to take them home on a trial.
I'm none the worse of them, but I affirmed his suspicions when I told him they "were gone"...... Wink 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Leitrim love the FBD, great win away to Galway today.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:Leitrim love the FBD, great win away to Galway today.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mulligan being utilised closer to goal so far this year is paying dividends. Omens looking good thus far.
Barry Prior established at 2 and the return after a 2 year absence of Shane Foley at 7.
The intrepid Beirnes (and how are all the Stickeys) is awaited. 3/4 championship players still out between colleges and injuries (Wynne, Moran, Croal, Glancy).

It's a big ask to retain the valuable FBD trophy.....I'll get my coat.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 am

That was a long year.

johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 pm

The proliferation of countymen from the northern extremities of the county (Manor, Kinlough and Kilty, yes even Glenfarne/Kiltyclogher) have alerted dormant support.....Time for a 2014 thread then so.

Welcome back JB.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is this the end for the notorious "Robocop". The man was obsessed with catching ordinary folk under any pretext. He famously stopped Boxty 3 times in 2 days for full vehicle checks, tyres, tax, NCT - anything.
He wasn't the type to entertain any form of banter either.

He was, however, likely to appear on the motorbike at any hour of the day or night. A 24/7/365 man.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6