GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

+7
Grenvile
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
RMDrive
OMAR
Parouisa
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 5 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Next big thing music-wise is the up and coming band Swords......

Launcing their 1st. album (Lions and Gold) tomorrow night in Whelans. Here's a review.

I'm foreseeing myself giving interviews in years to come regarding the early days of the latest music legend.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 5 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Saturdays selection to face Armagh is as follows:

1 Cathal McCrann Gortletteragh

2 Fabian McMorrow Melvin Gaels

3 Ciaran Egan Gortletteragh

4 Sean McWeeney Aughnasheelin

5 Danny Beck Mohill

6 Gary Reynolds Carrigallen

7 Barry Prior Aughawillan

8 Darren Sweeney Glencar/Manorhamilton

9 Brendan Brennan Melvin Gaels

10 Paddy McGowan St. Patrick’s Dromahair

11 James Glancy Glencar/Manorhamilton

12 Paul Brennan Melvin Gaels

13 Adrian Croal Glencar/Manorhamilton

14 Robbie Lowe St Mary’s Kiltoghert

15 Kevin Connlon St. Patrick’s Dromahair

Enda Williams loses out to Sean McWeeney who is making his c/ship debut to face Jamie Clarke  affraid 
His brother Barry would have been a better option IMO. We can now only muster a panel of 24 between the jigs and the reels. 4 banished and from the NY game injured are Alan Wynne, Paddy Maguire and Mulligan.

A bit of resistance is the best we can expect to muster.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Most teams double up on Clarke it would be daft for Leitrim to leave one defender on him.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:Most teams double up on Clarke it would be daft for Leitrim to leave one defender on him.

In my innermost heart lies a smidgen of romance.
Could the Aughawillian stalwart that is Barry Prior drop back to nullify Clarke....

This is loosely based on the fact that Aughawillian never feared Crossmaglen (or anybody else) and the fact that an ancient maxim of my own "country backs with townie forwards" may come up trumps.

Nevertheless, I'm rightly fearful.**

** But off to Wexford for the weekend to savour strawberries and new spuds.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:34 pm

Shocking carry-on here by the ESB. We're without power from 09.00 till 21.00 the past 2 days and us with the 3 eldest grandchildren, in conditions not seen since the year Dublin won the A/I...'95.

We're having a cracking time, fishing in the afternoon (or we'll starve, "Really Grandad") washing themselves in the lake, BBQ'g a few fine perch with baked new spuds, no telephone or telly and ghost stories...affraid

The Duuber, Crane and myself gathered in the bales (with strenouos directions), the bale building required serious eye-level monitoring (this is paid work, so Grandad is down 3X€10 for openers)....

Innocent enjoyment, reminiscent of a more innocent time and the youngsters are lapping it up.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:03 pm

That ends Summer 2013 in an appalling fashion. Boxty plus Herself were down in Wexford for the w/end with the 2 oldest and their children and the slagging was mighty.....

I might be a bit remiss about suffering a slaughter in Castlebar (had we gotten to it) but a 27 point whopping from Armagh tickles the "Trouble" antennae.
The Team Management pressed the wrong button in the aftermath of the "drinking issue". We haven't the numbers/quality/replacements to cover the issue. The County Board stood by the Management and that rankles with me, because they're only blazers and freebie merchants.

I'd know the lads involved (albeit young Moran from B'more personally) and they're good lads.
If we're to have a future then it's the youth will provide it, the likes of Shane Moran that will lead it.

The current Management, with their puritanical issues, should quit prior to dismissal.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:That ends Summer 2013 in an appalling fashion. Boxty plus Herself were down in Wexford for the w/end with the 2 oldest and their children and the slagging was mighty.....

I might be a bit remiss about suffering a slaughter in Castlebar (had we gotten to it) but a 27 point whopping from Armagh tickles the "Trouble" antennae.
The Team Management pressed the wrong button in the aftermath of the "drinking issue". We haven't the numbers/quality/replacements to cover the issue. The County Board stood by the Management and that rankles with me, because they're only blazers and freebie merchants.

I'd know the lads involved (albeit young Moran from B'more personally) and they're good lads.
If we're to have a future then it's the youth will provide it, the likes of Shane Moran that will lead it.

The current Management, with their puritanical issues, should quit prior to dismissal.....

100% agree. I said from the outset that if Jack O'Connor doesn't jettison Tomas, Gooch or Star for indiscretions, and if Mickey Harte carried Owen Mulligan at times, then what sort of idiot would drop 4 lads from a pool as small as Leitrim's. That is where the summer went wrong, and where next summer will go wrong too, if there isn't a change at the top.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Shocking way to go out of the championship. Only a few weeks ago Leitrim were on the verge of reaching their first Connacht final since 2000 clearly Leitrim didn't want to know yesterday. How many starters were Leitrim missing some said up to 10?

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:That ends Summer 2013 in an appalling fashion. Boxty plus Herself were down in Wexford for the w/end with the 2 oldest and their children and the slagging was mighty.....

I'll not comment as half the team live not far and a laugh a minute to boot.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:Shocking way to go out of the championship. Only a few weeks ago Leitrim were on the verge of reaching their first Connacht final since 2000 clearly Leitrim didn't want to know yesterday. How many starters were Leitrim missing some said up to 10?

We have a bit of a drinking culture for sure, it's historic. I played the game 50 years ago, long before the current regimentality, when we had f/all for porter, f/all in our pockets and the same f/all aspirations.

But we had pride and passion, guts and fearlessness. We'd jump into a cement mixer after a ball rather than an opponent get it handy. We were junior when Declan Darcy's father, Frank (Aughawillian) were junior, they believed, they trained, they were hardy nuts, committed, rugged, dour and tough.

Their discipline proved the foundation of the club, 8 Senior titles in 12 years, all from 282 souls
as per Census 2007...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Not to confuse the issue vis.a.vis other posts, Boxty would drop Emlyn Mulligan from the panel asap.

3 years of "injuries" mostly valid, club issues, zero contribution when it mattered...

A contrarian "mouth-piece" when the occasion suited........ Not for me.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Not to confuse the issue vis.a.vis other posts, Boxty would drop Emlyn Mulligan from the panel asap.

3 years of "injuries" mostly valid, club issues, zero contribution when it mattered...

A contrarian "mouth-piece" when the occasion suited........   Not for me.

He was quick to put the boot into the fallen 4 as well. Hardly paved the way for their return to the panel.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
He was quick to put the boot into the fallen 4 as well.  Hardly paved the way for their return to the panel.

"Yerra" as Micko might say, we shot ourselves in the foot...There's a clash of cultures at the top..
Much like yesterday, or the day before, the Orange meets the Green...In Leitrim FFS.

I haven't looked elsewhere all night, but we ought to have 15 young lads (U-25) to escape Div 4...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 5 Empty Part-time employment opportunity....

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Manager of Leitrim GAA team.

Requirements:

1). A reasonable knowledge of Gaelic football.
2). Excellent inter-personal skills.
3). An ability to locate and groom circa 25 players from within the County boundaries.
4). A brass neck to formulate and execute a programme for success in the face of the C/B.
5). The ability to identify and locate the 28 playing pitches in the County and visit them occasionally.
6). A desire not to visit grounds such as Fraher Field, Dr.Cullen Park and Freshford. Or even Ruislip.

Rewards:

1). Minimum travelling expenses.
2). Dogs abuse from all and sundry.
3). Your parentage issue being debated daily.
4). Steaks after training while your charges eat lettuce, hard boiled eggs and scallions.

Interested? Responses via PM and I'll do the rest.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 5 Empty A fearless footballer, on or off the pitch.

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 pm

In the aftermath of a removal a couple of Sundays ago, I was having a couple of quiet pints in a neighbouring town with the intrepid Dauber. Danny Og Dauber was off "on business" and would return in an hour or 2 according to Dan, enabling us to make the village around the 10 mark.

We were coyly watching a batch of local brothers who are somewhat in-famous locally for their "eccentric lifestyles". They live away in the wilds of forestry and whin bushes, facilities unknown but presumed rustic, their parents are presumed alive but unseen for years, their transport consists of a large John Deere tractor and accompanying trailer, in their 40's, unmarried, unshaven and unlikely to alter these facts.

They derive income from a seemingly never ending supply of wood products. Bags/trailer loads of firewood, kindling (free with X amount of blocks) and assorted matters. They shop on a Sunday around lunch time and then proceed to scoff vast quantities of porter in their own company. They shun conversation and conversants, drink their drink and head home (un-challenged) when the mood takes them. These are hardy hoors I'd wager, I'd always acknowledge them with a "Howyas lads" and leave them to it.
Of course, given their trade and it's vastness, there are questions about the unending supplies of firewood, as I understand they have about 15 acres in total....Suspect 

They are whispatorially referred to as "The Stickey XXXXXXs" but it would take a brave man....affraid

To make a long story shorter, in comes the exiled County footballer, calls for a drink (not his 1st. that day) and spots the Dauber and myself. He's over in a flash, bit of banter until he takes a quick time-out to survey the scene. His eagle eye descends on the 4 "Stickeys" and in the midst of a nice gathering he bawls....

And how are all the Stickeys...

2 Stickeys rose languidly but you could cut the intent. Dan and myself maneavoured the footballer out as quickly as possible, located his tribe 3/4 pubs away and advised against a return. Dan and I smoked 2 fags and returned to the original scene.

10 minutes after, Stickey the elder approached the bar and 3 minutes later Dauber and myself were presented with a pint and a half-one each courtesy of said Stickey, no word spoken, no need, the all-knowing tip of the head/acknowledging wink was just right.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 am

I love this thread! Top stuff boxty!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:55 pm

bald eagle wrote:I love this thread! Top stuff boxty!
These are only day to day occurrences Beagle, to be honest. It's all in the perception. Here's another:

My uncle Jim died, after a long illness, about 10 years ago. We're rustics and disavow spending money outside the parish, hence the lads opted for a local undertaker. You're percieved to be of a political allegiance should you seek the commercial purveyors that the town offers...

Now the local undertaker, while a noble oul' fooker (and I've used him twice since), has a fierce penchant for drink, of any kind, porter/spirits/poitéin. He was summoned about 15.00 hrs and arrived about 15.20hrs .
(ruddy-faced and a tad merry). He reviewed the corpse, sighed loudly and sat down on the bed with him.

Cousin Gerard arrived with a very large tumbler of whiskey (straight) for Undertaker with the question "What would you like with that XXXX." Nothing it seemed, as 2 gulps later the vessel was empty. Another quadruple Jameson was proffered and banished before Undertaker suggested embalming. This wouldn't cause an issue he assured us, good to go by 22.00hrs. and a wake was duly "organised".
It's worth noting that the deceased was a witty/wise character, used to drinking issues, inherently decent and an all-round top bloke.

So the hearse departs around 16.30hrs. and we all settle down, making preparatory plans for the wake.
Food and drink sorted, all is going well until the deceased's daughter-in-law considers the match of shirt and tie on her FIL and cousin Gerard is dispatched to Carrick-on-Shasnnon to effect the desired changes. This is about 19.45hrs truth be told.

Imagine his shock as he reaches the noble village of Fenagh. Hearse parked outside the Abbey Bar, late father coffined inside it and the Undertaker scuttered at the counter.....

It all worked out in the end, corpse home on schedule, no recrimations, done and dusted.
We often regale this tale, the sons love it in fact. "The Bossman would'a loved it" is always the term.

As it's one of many tales of wakes/removals/funerals, stand up Peadar Gibbons, your day has come...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Away with football talk....I have a buy/sell chance at a 407HDI 2.0LSport (2009) at £4,200 in play.
VRT €2050 est. add curreccy differential and collection say €8k all found.....Worth €10k.

Don't advise me, I'm on tilt.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Away with football talk....I have a buy/sell chance at a 407HDI 2.0LSport (2009) at £4,200 in play.
VRT €2050 est. add curreccy differential and collection say €8k all found.....Worth €10k.

Don't advise me, I'm on tilt.
It will need to be modified to reflect fact it will be running on green diesel rather than red
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:[Says he let everyone (parents, players, club) down badly. We had a bit of a chat, discussed the part played by the media and on-line boards.
I'd hope for his sake we get over London, because if not, then this lad is going to feel worse....

It's a sinister scenario that I envisage, please God nothing untoward happens. Sobering thought really.
They're in the Intermediate Final Saturday evening, never Senior in 118 years.....

"Howy's all the Stickies"
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 am

Old High Stool compadre of Omar's residing as an ex pat down  Leitrim way in a mid life crisis moment volunteered to cycle round Boxty's stomping ground last Sunday for special Olympics. 
He asked Omar to ride Shotgun whoin a moment of madness agreed. 
Sunday morning greeted with 100km winds and no shortage of torrential rain.
A Mexican standoff ensued. Omar waited for text advising of consultation - none forthcoming.
Pig headed Tir chonnaill men not letting some breezy drizzle get in way of better judgement.

5 hours on a lap of Lough Allen and a trip up GlAngevlin have not endeared Omar to the niceties of North Connacht.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 am

OMAR wrote:Old High Stool compadre of Omar's residing as an ex pat down  Leitrim way in a mid life crisis moment volunteered to cycle round Boxty's stomping ground last Sunday for special Olympics. 
He asked Omar to ride Shotgun whoin a moment of madness agreed. 
Sunday morning greeted with 100km winds and no shortage of torrential rain.
A Mexican standoff ensued. Omar waited for text advising of consultation - none forthcoming.
Pig headed Tir chonnaill men not letting some breezy drizzle get in way of better judgement.

5 hours on a lap of Lough Allen and a trip up GlAngevlin have not endeared Omar to the niceties of North Connacht.
wasnt a nice day for being on a bike or even outdoors OMAR. As the old saying goes "you wouldnt put a fox out on hen house on a day like that"
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 pm

OMAR wrote:
Wild territory indeed OMAR. Fantastic scenery it must be said and plenty of hardy hoors around Glan.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:01 am

County Final day tomorrow.....We're not into delaying things...

Minor Final pits the South Leitrim heavyweights, Mohill against Ballinamore...A nothing contest, in the aftermath of last years epic X 2 where Fenagh finally prevailed.

Senior Final gives us Mohill against Carrick. Both out of the picture in the last lock of years, as North Leitrim reeled off 5 grabs of the famed Fenagh Cup. Mohill's last victory came on 2006, when 5 down with 15 to go, saw the intrepid Shane Canning catch fire, as he reeled off 6 white flags on the spin off his hands.

Carrick (St.Mary's) will look to their physical power, the Lowe brothers, the Carrick Glancy and the veteran Jimmy Guckian to get them over the line, but Boxty feels that Mohill's youth, skills and the McGuinness brothers, for experience, will carry the day by a whisker.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 am

Good to see our neighbours get this award. The first option I'd look at though is drainage. The pitch alternates between a swamp and a bog even at the best of times.
The award coupled with Christy Carroll's accession to County selector will have them supping in Keshcarrigan and Drumcong for a week before they even reach Fenagh to gloat over us.

Well done Kiltubrid all the same.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next