GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

+7
Grenvile
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
RMDrive
OMAR
Parouisa
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 3 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  bocerty Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 am

Parouisa wrote:
bocerty wrote:P as i asked last week how do you enforce a life ban?????

But this is a player Boc ........ so name and shame too!

i know but a life ban would involve coaching and going to games as a spectator - still impossible to enforce i think.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 3 Empty Re: Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here.

Post  Parouisa Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Maybe - but easier than banning a fan. If he was named I doubt he could do much outside his club without people being aware of who he was - certainly within the county. Even at that I'd imagine (decent) people in his own club would not want him around if he was banned either.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 am

Maybe red card recipient should get due process too .....

Garda GAA star cleared after botched arrest
A GARDA and high-profile GAA star was yesterday cleared of drink driving after a judge ruled a colleague who arrested him had failed to issue a correct caution.

The court heard that Gardai in Sligo were called to the Lake Isle Road area of the town in the early hours of January 17 last year after reports of a disturbance.

Gda David McHugh and several other gardai gave evidence that they found Gda Mulligan’s own car parked on the right-hand lane of the road, with another car parked across the front of it.

Garda Mulligan, who was off-duty, was outside his VW Golf with two other passengers and there were two other men at the scene who owned the second car.

No details of how the incident happened were given to the court but neither the passengers in Gda Mulligan’s car or the other two men would give statements to gardai.

Three gardai gave evidence that one of Gda Mulligan’s passengers had claimed that he had been driving the Golf.

However Gda McHugh told Judge Denis McLoughlin that he later smelled alcohol on Gda Mulligan’s breath and believed that he had been drinking and driving.

He said when he challenged Mulligan, the GAA player at first denied he had been driving but then admitted: “I won’t be a d***. I was drinking all day and I was driving now.”

Gda McHugh said he then cautioned Mulligan before arresting him and taking him to Sligo Garda Station where a breath test found him to be more than twice the legal drink drive limit.

However at yesterday’s hearing, solicitor for Gda Mulligan Gerard McGovern, argued: “There is no proof before the court that my client was driving this vehicle.”

But he also said that his client had not been given a caution until almost 25 minutes after gardai had arrived at the scene and that no reasonable explanation had been given for this.

State Solicitor Hugh Sheridan argued that the proper caution was given once Gda McHugh had detected the crime of drink-driving.

However Judge McLoughlin in his ruling said the use of ‘Judge’s Rules’ – where a suspect should be cautioned at the earliest opportunity - on giving a caution can be waived if a Garda can give a reasonable reason for the delay on issuing his caution.

“In his evidence Gda McHugh said he ‘did not deem it necessary to caution the defendant’ and that he had indicated he had been with him for 25 minutes,” said the judge.

In those circumstances he had to dismiss the case.

Gda Mulligan could be seen making a deep sigh when the verdict was given.

He was ordered to pay €100 to St Vincent de Paul on a charge of failing to have road tax on his 2004 VW Golf.

Last edited by Parouisa on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 pm

I think that was 2011 or 2012 there Jayo but well done for un-earthing it anyway. In other news, let the good times roll.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri May 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Team selection for Gaelic Park is as follows:

1 Cathal McCrann Gortletteragh

2 Alan Wynne Allen Gaels

3 Fabian McMorrow Melvin Gaels

4 Paddy Maguire Glencar Manorhamilton

5 Danny Beck Mohill

6 Gary Reynolds Carrigallen

7 Wayne McKeon Ballinamore Seán O'Heslin's

8 Tomas Beirne Eslin

9 Darren Sweeney Glencar Manorhamilton

10 Paul Brennan Melvin Gaels

11 Emlyn Mulligan (C) St Brigid's

12 Gerry Hickey Glencar Manorhamilton

13 Kevin Conlon St Patrick's Dromahair

14 James Glancy Glencar Manorhamilton

15 Robbie Lowe St Mary's

A number of slightly dubious selections. Ciaran Egan has been omitted from full-back, Ray Cox fails to find a berth at corner forward and Robbie Lowe is included at corner forward (presumably to add muscle).
I'd have gone for Shane Moran at 14 ahead of Glancy who's star has waned but such as it is.

We'll have 8-10 to spare just the same....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Did Moran travel Boxty?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat May 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Did Moran travel Boxty?

I've been out of commission JS for 10 days so aren't sufficently up to speed to answer this.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Half-time in Gaelic Park, Leitrim 2-08 New York 0-05.
Mulligan with 1-04 to date and Mossy Beirne (he of the fake call to Mickey Moran---last call for Lanzarote for Tomas Beirne) dominant at midfield
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Never a better chance for a Connacht Final now for Leitrim. If Lorcan Mulvey (saw him roasted by the Corlough midfield not so long ago) is the standard they are offering then there should be nothing less than a Leitrim victory on the 23rd. Will this game be in Carrick?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Pairc Seán it is. Probably live on BBC 2 to placate the exiles. Up to us to avert a London/Mayo Connacht final....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue May 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Pairc Seán it is. Probably live on BBC 2 to placate the exiles. Up to us to avert a London/Mayo Connacht final....

A guaranteed place in the last 12 if Leitrim add the scalp of London to that of New York. What was it I said about lying in the long grass...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Pairc Seán it is. Probably live on BBC 2 to placate the exiles. Up to us to avert a London/Mayo Connacht final....

A guaranteed place in the last 12 if Leitrim add the scalp of London to that of New York. What was it I said about lying in the long grass...

We're cannily adopting a different approach this year in the form of avoiding home based opposition. It can only stretch so far I guess.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

4 players dropped. Will you stop buying the lads pints Boxty!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm

RMDrive wrote:4 players dropped. Will you stop buying the lads pints Boxty!

They thought the code of conduct only applied when the opposition were fellow islanders
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Two of the lads dropped were dropped before clearly they are not the smartest. It all gives London a even better chance to reach the Connacht final now.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Ouch!!!!

Hard to fathom the Management's actions here. Personally I'd have preferred if the matter had been handled in-house, but that's water under the bridge at this stage. They're all only young lads and had a few pints on Saturday evening after championship matches. Didn't we all FFS.

The Leitrim board on HS has been busier than Twitter since 4pm. I've posted a calming missive to restore order and am prepared to assume a George Mitchell role in brokering peace talks...Woop Woop.

De Dauber says it's a cunning ruse to deflect the burden of expectation off the lads shoulders. Now were I asked to name possible suspects I'd have been 75% right.

As the Old Rogue from Waterville might muse " YERRA"....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Hard to fathom the Management's actions here. Personally I'd have preferred if the matter had been handled in-house, but that's water under the bridge at this stage. They're all only young lads and had a few pints on Saturday evening after championship matches. Didn't we all FFS.

I agree, Boxty. I see that McGeeney is at it as well with Sean Hurley, a lad he could be doing with.

Dropping the players is the easy way out - finding a way to punish them but keep them involved requires more skill, but is much the preferred option for all concerned. Kerry have disciplined Tomas, Gooch and Donaghy for similar indiscretions in recent years, but none of them were evicted from the squad.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Thu May 30, 2013 11:53 am

why dont managers in todays game just deal with these issues in house and not have to alert the national media? i mean right a lad goes for a few pints big bloody deal they are amateur players who put there entire life's on hold for the county and these clueless managers and then if they step out of line not only do they get dropped of the panel but the whole bloody country has to hear a????out it! are managers just trying to heighten there profile and show how disciplined they are or are they in it for the team and county
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm

rich dublin wrote: are managers just trying to heighten there profile and show how disciplined they are or are they in it for the team and county

I think that may be the reason in some instances but, in others, I think it is just a case of some people not being very good at relating to or understanding other people. Between both codes, you have roughly 64 men managing intercounty sides, and the law of averages would suggest that many of them are not great 'people persons'. They feel that the iron fist is the only way to get their message across, and lack the personalities, empathy or creativity to come up with better solutions.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm

but surely among these manahement teams which less be honest are so bloody big now that there is a pr expert or at least some one with a shred of cop on?
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu May 30, 2013 1:19 pm

rich dublin wrote:but surely among these manahement teams which less be honest are so bloody big now that there is a pr expert or at least some one with a shred of cop on?

You'd think that, but so many managers like to be 'the boss'. Could you see anyone giving advice on discipline to Kieran McGeeney? affraid
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 pm

true but how well has he actually done? id argue not too well at all! he has won nothing! look at others mickey harte, jack oconnor for example not too many storys coming from them boys! now people will talk about mcguiness but id look at that situation as different as where that panel came from with there discipline issues well documented he needed a different stance!
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

rich dublin wrote:true but how well has he actually done? id argue not too well at all! he has won nothing! look at others mickey harte, jack oconnor for example not too many storys coming from them boys! now people will talk about mcguiness but id look at that situation as different as where that panel came from with there discipline issues well documented he needed a different stance!

O'Connor disciplined Gooch, Tomas O'Se and Donaghy in recent years, but by dropping them for a match as opposed to a season. Harte has managed Mugsy very well over the years, and Aidan Cassidy got a scare over the winter when he was initially left off the panel following a missed training session.

At the other end of the scale, you have the likes of Frank Dawson in Antrim.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Thu May 30, 2013 1:29 pm

wow now that is taking your authority way too far!!
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Shook is a Leitrim-ism for not feeling as well as you ought to feel.

After 40 years of wedded bliss, celebrated in a style befitting the occasion over a lock of days, Boxtyeater is quare** shook as he types.
Neither Boxty nor the War Office realised how many cousins/relatives we ever had.

Meanwhile Leitrim 2013. All matters including Mart reports here. - Page 3 Smiley14

** Our oldest grandchild says quare isn't a real word...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next