GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

+6
Thomas Clarke
SamiPremier08
patrique
mid-mon man
RMDrive
Jayo Cluxton
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

This Sporting Life - Irish Style .... - Page 2 Empty Re: This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

Post  bocerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Boxty I won't disagree with you fully but .... what happens the lad who moves to Dublin flatland and wants to play GAA? If Dublin clubs refuse imports we would be accused of all sorts against country lads!! You could argue it doesn't help the Dubs - in either code - think UCD! Anyway Geezer was not from Cross but Mullaghbawn - so maybe that swayed him.

What I do not like is guys transferring within Dublin .... my own namesake included!

Jayo was it not strange that Geezer went to a Dublin club and him working in Galway!!!!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

This Sporting Life - Irish Style .... - Page 2 Empty Re: This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 pm

Boc - I think he was based in Dublin tbh - I used to see him atound Baggot St a lot at the time. But NF weren't the first to recruit .... started further out in north Dublin ....

There is also a problem in that older clubs in settled areas are coming up against sprawling clubs in suburban areas - not an excuse - merely an ob!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
patrique wrote:Michelle Smith/De Bruin was probably on performance enhancing medication. I say this because ALL of her rivals were more than likely on them as well. Those rivals came from countries with years of experience in enhancing drugs, poor Michelle was from Ireland.

Her achievements are therefore astonishing. Bar Pat O'Callaghan or some earlier Olympian winning Golds for the US of A, Michelle must be our greatest Olympian.

Yeah its a point P - but I don't support the 'if you can't beat them join 'em' philosophy .....

But the attitude was "what a swimmer from Ireland winning 3 Olympic golds and one bronze she must be on drugs because an Irish person could never do that on her own."
The Americans were complaining just because they weren't winning more golds to add to their tally.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:27 pm

hey it goes on everywhere not just Dublin i think James Mc Cartan moved clubs in Down for non footballing reasons if you get my drift.

did see Paddy Heaney writing in Irish News recently about one footballer in Dublin - no name was given - who had recently moved clubs and he was getting 300 euros a week and free accomodation as part of the deal.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:30 pm

I agree Jayo re: country lads wanting to have something of home in their lives in that God-forsaken place (kick-about with blokes, lying on cool wet grass and a bit of banter of an evening) and indeed we're very thankful for the kindly gestures of your denizens for accommodating them.

What I vehemently object to is the tapping up of decent players by clubs that is detrimental to morale of their own brethren in the long term. I know you agree with this in principle.

Mercifully our little club has escaped this dubious practise so far, for reasons that are beyond me, given that some of our more "sociable" players train with clubs around the city.

Nerves OK?
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:32 pm

bocerty wrote:hey it goes on everywhere not just Dublin i think James Mc Cartan moved clubs in Down for non footballing reasons if you get my drift.

did see Paddy Heaney writing in Irish News recently about one footballer in Dublin - no name was given - who had recently moved clubs and he was getting 300 euros a week and free accomodation as part of the deal.

Can only be one player ...........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:33 pm

his nerves are fried Boxty he is lighting 5 cigs at the one time he's that far through Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:I agree Jayo re: country lads wanting to have something of home in their lives in that God-forsaken place (kick-about with blokes, lying on cool wet grass and a bit of banter of an evening) and indeed we're very thankful for the kindly gestures of your denizens for accommodating them.

What I vehemently object to is the tapping up of decent players by clubs that is detrimental to morale of their own brethren in the long term. I know you agree with this in principle.

Mercifully our little club has escaped this dubious practise so far, for reasons that are beyond me, given that some of our more "sociable" players train with clubs around the city.

Nerves OK?

Nerves grand Boxy - actually looking forward to it - if the swine flu doesn't get me first!!

On the subject of 'attracting players' I worked with a very GAA orientated Clare man years back who would have poo poohed this stuff - but his own club are now 'brand leaders' ........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:41 pm

Transfers withing counties happen all over, here Blayney are the worst culprits. Very big catchment area but surrounded by alot of smaller clubs and usually take the pick of their players aswell. Blackhill would be one example, tiny club, and a couple of their only promising players in years were snapped up by Blayney by the time they got near minor level. One of them is playing super stuff for them on the 40 alot of the time, and him only 19 or so, some blow for small clubs to be losing players like that.

Nudie Hughes is another, a Toome man by right, one of the smallest clubs in the county!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 pm

mid-mon man wrote:

Nudie Hughes is another, a Toome man by right, one of the smallest clubs in the county!

So Blayney are Toome Raiders then MMM!!!
Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:48 pm

Good oul' banter tonight, you'd want your tongue in your cheek though.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:48 pm

Aye, but even with all that there'd be no point raiding their trophy cabinet these days! Razz
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:54 pm

funnily enough there are very few transfers of high profile players between clubs in Tyrone - dont know why that is - probably because they are spending that much paying managers ............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 pm

bocerty wrote:funnily enough there are very few transfers of high profile players between clubs in Tyrone - dont know why that is - probably because they are spending that much paying managers ............

No even in Dublin its usually imports - very few transfer between clubs. Dublin attracts a lot of non-Dublin players - naturally as a vibrant and happening city. Tyrone attract about the same amount of non county players (according to GAA stats) as Baghdad and Darfur. Wink
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Sea The Stars' deserves a chapter of his own I think Jayo!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Buongiornio ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:17 am

As the dyslexic said - bmup!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:44 am

I was going to start a thread to drum up some peer pressure to get Jayo to pull something out of the bag for his 10k post and forgot... Evil or Very Mad

This was before my time here, good stuff...

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2