GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

+6
Thomas Clarke
SamiPremier08
patrique
mid-mon man
RMDrive
Jayo Cluxton
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This Sporting Life - Irish Style .... Empty This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 pm

I often feel sorry for people who have no interest in sport. I think they are missing out on something in not experiencing the wonderful occasions and accompanying emotions that sport can bring. I have always had a love of sport and some of the greatest pleasures I have had involved playing or watching sport.

As a nation we are, in general, sports-mad. Over the years Ireland has enjoyed huge global success in a variety of disciplines. Yes we have endured heartbreak and disappointment but we have had plenty of red letter days – days when the spirit of the whole country was lifted thanks to the deeds of an individual or a team representing us. And many of us have experienced great joy at the exploits of the parish team, the local team, the local individual or the county or provincial team.

This is my sporting journey.

I was very lucky to arrive at my GAA consciousness just when Dublin and Kerry were starting the glorious era of the 70s. Brought up on a diet of Keaveney, the Blue Panther, Mullins, Bobby Doyle, Paddy Cullen, the Hickeys, Robbie Kelleher, Bernard Brogan et al. Had my young heart broken by legends like Jacko, Bomber, Ogie, the Spillanes, Paidí, Mikey and others. How could you not grow up loving the game? The barren 80s which as least gave us that epic day in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in 1983 when a sublime performance left the home side stunned. Glorious weather, glorious football, glorious result – a day to carry to the grave. Plenty more heartache in the 90s including the first year with a Royal beating after four tremendous tussles. But at least a Sam in the mid-decade after 4 years of absolute gut-wrenching grief – and not a lot since. But still there is always hope and that’s what we arrive with at Croke Park each summer. Travelling with more hope than anticipation each passing summer.

Then the great club days at the turn of the millennium for my local club Na Fianna, when Dublin championship success returned following an absence of 20 years, and delivered 3 in a row for the men from Mobhi Road. Great days travelling all over Leinster and meeting schoolmates – now with kids in tow. A great source of pride and a feeling that only the GAA can engender. But alas only one Leinster and a heartbreaking St Patrick’s Day defeat to the king of clubs, Crossmaglen Rangers. But so many memorable days nonetheless.

And who are the greats? Well so many. The aforementioned Dublin and Kerry teams of the 70s. Others I have especially enjoyed watching were James McCartan, Manus Boyle, Maurice Fitz, Graham Geraghty, Stephen O’Neill, Paddy Moriarty, Dermot Earley, Padraig Joyce and of course the Gooch!

I also had the fortune to first become aware of hurling when Eddie Keher and Kilkenny were top of the pile – what’s new! The 1972 final was my introduction and what an introduction. A feast of scores saw Kilkenny win out by 3-24 to 5-11. And some of the best players ever to wield the ash were on display that day – Chunky O’Brien, Pat Henderson, Fan Larkin, Frank Cummins and Kieran Purcell in the black and amber and Ray Cummins, Seanie O’Leary (father of Tomás), Charlie, Gerald and Justin McCarthy (what a legendary hurling trio) and Denis Coughlan. No wonder it inspired a love of hurling that exists to this day!

But it was Leeds United and Johnny Giles and Co that were my early heroes. Again a lot of success but probably more heartache than they or I deserved! But fast forward to 1988 – well late 1987 - when a Scotsman called Gary Mackay scored a goal in Bulgaria that was to see this country witness unbelievable scenes of joy and celebration. Ray Houghton putting the ball in the English net, Ronnie’s shinned volley v USSR and Wim Kieft’s lucky effort to end it all! But remember the homecoming? And the little old ladies in the shop discussing Paul McGrath’s displays and Jack’s selections! Amazing days. Italia 90 was also sublime – again taking it to the Auld Enemy, the penos in Genoa, meeting the Pope in Rome before Toto the Hitman assassinated us! USA 94 was not as good with Aldo turning the air blue, Stan with the sun hat and the Mexicans and the Dutch masters ending our interest. And then a little hiatus before Japan-South Korea in 2002 – thanks to Roy’s dismantling of the Dutch and Trigger’s strike. What a national drama it was! Saipan and Tommy Gorman before a ball was kicked and Roy went home to the other trigger. Robbie and the Germans, Mattie’s strike against the Cameroon before peno heartache against the lucky Spanish. But again – many great, great days thanks to the brave exploits of our sports stars!

And what of our boxers! Barry in 1985 in Loftus Road against Pedroza and the rendition of Danny Boy, Stephen Collins’ demolition of Britain’s finest Benn and Eubank – not once, but twice each! Our Olympians – Michael Carruth that famous Saturday morning in Badalona when he took gold and Wayne Mc Cullough took silver right through to last year in Beijing when Ken Egan captained the fighting Irish to a silver and two bronzes for Paddy Barnes and Darren Sutherland. Not forgetting Bernard Dunne’s recent exploits either – Irish boxers have given us some amazing entertainment and unforgettable nights (and days!) over the years – certainly punching above their weight!

Speaking of Olympians we remember Sonya and of course John Treacy. And one of the great pieces of sporting commentary. The sound of Jimmy Magee listing Ireland’s previous 12 Olympic medal winners just as Treacy reached the finish line for his silver. Memorable! Sonya’s brave silver in Sydney and her World Cross Country golds, her World and European Championship golds and all the joy she gave us over the years as she proudly did her laps of honour draped in green, white and gold.

For sheer class, grit and courage we recall Stephen Roche and the Tungsten Man from Tipp – Sean Kelly. 1987 in particular and the sight of Roche descending La Plagne and capturing the second leg of the triple crown. But not forgetting Kelly’s amazing feats either – an awesome athlete.

Our rugby heroes – past and present. Willie John, Gibson, Ciaran ‘where’s you f***ing pride’ Fitzgerald and the late Mick Doyle right through to Paulie, ROG, BOD and the lads. What days they have given us between Munster’s two Heineken Cups and then this year’s long awaited slam. The tries, BODs hat-trick in Paris and the rout of England in Croke Park – more great memories!

Ireland’s horse racing people – quite simply the best in the world. Best trainers, best horses, best jockeys. Loyal is the expert but Dawn Run, Vincent and AP O’Brien, AP McCoy, Ruby, Kieran Fallon are just some of the names that have brought unbelievable glory to this island.

In Padraig Harrington we have a golfer of extraordinary ability. Three Majors is awesome. Back to back British Opens is legendary enough but he is the only European to win back to back Majors! Add in our Ryder Cup exploits – Christy’s 2 iron at the Belfry, McGinley and Clarke, Darcy, McDowell and McIlroy – and you have more great memories with many still to come I suspect!

A measure of our sporting love could be seen too the way we supported and backed our cricket team when they beat the Windies in the World Cup. Honourable mentions too to Dennis Taylor and Ken Doherty, the late Dunlop brothers and many others I have not mentioned.

What is adds up to is a host of Irish sporting greats performing across a range of disciplines over the years and giving this little island some of our greatest moments of joy, pride, emotion and success. And long may it continue!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

This Sporting Life - Irish Style .... Empty Re: This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

Post  Guest Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Sad Sad that was so touching!!! Congrats on your 1000th post-what better way to celebrate it than with that brill post!! Well done Jayo-you never cease to amaze me!!! Wink

Back to top Go down

This Sporting Life - Irish Style .... Empty Re: This Sporting Life - Irish Style ....

Post  RMDrive Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Good stuff as always JC. Some brilliant memories there. The emotional highs (and lows) that our sporting greats have given us is immense. cheers
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:56 pm

When Diego Maradona went on his great run in the quarter final of the 1986 World Cup against England, Jimmy Magee was commentating and all he said was:

"Different Class....................Different Class....................Aaaawwwwwwwwwwww Different Claaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss!"

I think you could say the same about this post.

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:03 am

Ah great stuff JC! Worth the wait, always a treat!

Some great memories flooding back now when I read that, like my first(vague!) sporting memories of the GAA in '85, a great year for Monaghan all round. And I was only really becoming fully aware of soccer as they qualified for Euro 88 and Italia 90, great times for the team! We really have had incredible sporting success for a nation of our size, sport is an area in which we excel and long may it continue!

Once again JC, a brilliant read! Different class for sure!

P.S. You forgot one Irish boxing memory though JC, Kevin "journeyman" McBride retiring Tyson! Razz
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:18 am

Michelle dosen't get a mention, Jayo?

Some might say she is the greatest Irish Olympian of them all?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Michelle dosen't get a mention, Jayo?

Some might say she is the greatest Irish Olympian of them all?

Good spot Loyal. No - that chapter does not feature in my great memories - though it may have at the immediate time. I will not 'diss' people - but have my own views - as with another sportsman who has a thread on here.

If I am entirely candid there is one athlete in my post whom I have slight doubts but would prefer to disregard those doubts!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:50 am

OK, I'm guessing the one you have doubts about is also from the same sport as the person with the thread dedicated to them.

Or else, its the Clare man.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:52 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:OK, I'm guessing the one you have doubts about is also from the same sport as the person with the thread dedicated to them.

Or else, its the Clare man.

Right in the first instance L. Who is the Clare man btw???
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:53 am

Kieren Fallon.

Crusheen in County Clare to be precise.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:57 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Kieren Fallon.

Crusheen in County Clare to be precise.

Aye of course. I was thinking K Wood but knew I hadn't mentioned him!! No I think Fallon is a flawed genius on a personal level - a la Best and Gascoigne - but never did anything to enhance his jockeyship.

Btw I reckon you could easily write twice the length of a post on horse racing success - both flat and jumps!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Great post Jayo.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:55 am

Michelle Smith/De Bruin was probably on performance enhancing medication. I say this because ALL of her rivals were more than likely on them as well. Those rivals came from countries with years of experience in enhancing drugs, poor Michelle was from Ireland.

Her achievements are therefore astonishing. Bar Pat O'Callaghan or some earlier Olympian winning Golds for the US of A, Michelle must be our greatest Olympian.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 am

patrique wrote:Michelle Smith/De Bruin was probably on performance enhancing medication. I say this because ALL of her rivals were more than likely on them as well. Those rivals came from countries with years of experience in enhancing drugs, poor Michelle was from Ireland.

Her achievements are therefore astonishing. Bar Pat O'Callaghan or some earlier Olympian winning Golds for the US of A, Michelle must be our greatest Olympian.

Yeah its a point P - but I don't support the 'if you can't beat them join 'em' philosophy .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:23 am

[imitation of Jose Morinho accent:]

very nice Jayo.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:30 am

Then the great club days at the turn of the millennium for my local club Na Fianna, when Dublin championship success returned following an absence of 20 years, and delivered 3 in a row for the men from Mobhi Road. Great days travelling all over Leinster and meeting schoolmates – now with kids in tow. A great source of pride and a feeling that only the GAA can engender. But alas only one Leinster and a heartbreaking St Patrick’s Day defeat to the king of clubs, Crossmaglen Rangers. But so many memorable days nonetheless.

And who are the greats? Well so many. The aforementioned Dublin and Kerry teams of the 70s. Others I have especially enjoyed watching were James McCartan, Manus Boyle, Maurice Fitz, Graham Geraghty, Stephen O’Neill, Paddy Moriarty, Dermot Earley, Padraig Joyce and of course the Gooch!

Not a mention of Geezer in your greats who got your team to the all-ireland club final?

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:17 am

For God's sake Samin, not everything in life is about the 2002 Armagh side.

Jayo writes a fabulous post (which i've just come across for the first time), and all you can say is 'what about Geezer?'!!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:30 am

Nothing to do with Armagh in 2002, he played for Jayo's club side ye tit. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 am

samin10 wrote:Nothing to do with Armagh in 2002, he played for Jayo's club side ye tit. Rolling Eyes

I know who he played for, thanks. Jason Sherlock, who has as many all-irelands as McGeeney, played for tham also, but you didn't mention him. The point stands.

And always good to see a bit of cyber name-calling. Very classy.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:50 am

You know, TC could be a pimply little 15 year old (I know you're not BTW) but with that avatar I always feel like I being addressed by the guy in the picture. So I alway feel like I have to defer to my elders or something!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:51 am

Oh christ grow up, it was a joke directed to Jayo, although now you mention it i think as Jayo said Na Fianna won 3 in a row after a 20 year gap since winning their last Dublin championship. No coincidence it came as soon as Geezer arrived. I personally think he belongs in a greats list but i really dont care if you or Jayo for that matter think he belongs to it. As i say it was a bit of banter with Jayo, absolutely nothing to do with 2002 (must have been the only good year geezer had in your opinion).

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:56 am

RMDrive wrote:You know, TC could be a pimply little 15 year old (I know you're not BTW) but with that avatar I always feel like I being addressed by the guy in the picture. So I alway feel like I have to defer to my elders or something!

Why do you think I don't argue with Patrique as much anymore?! I was happy to have a go at Lord Lucan and Christopher from the Sopranos, but Don Corleone, well, that's another matter, even for Tom Clarke.....!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 pm

Geezer is a Mobhi Road legend - there are many players I could've mentioned but I would be still posting the original now if I did!

And just for you Samin - I also acknlowledge the tremendous contribution of Geezer's brother Pat and of course Des Macken to Na Fianna's success!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Geezer is a Mobhi Road legend - there are many players I could've mentioned but I would be still posting the original now if I did!

And just for you Samin - I also acknlowledge the tremendous contribution of Geezer's brother Pat and of course Des Macken to Na Fianna's success!!!

Importing lads into clubs to attain success taints their collective achievement.
How many genuine clubmen, all across the country, ended up off of the team,out of the squad and finally on the scrapheap because of this.

The head of the GPA relates in his book (pages 204/5) how he "tapped up" McGeeney in Coppers after his Dublin co-final defeat in 1998.
I'd rather lose with my own than win with mercenaries (no offence to McGeeney).

Guys who've given clubs their best days overlooked for strangers------Humbug....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:56 pm

Boxty I won't disagree with you fully but .... what happens the lad who moves to Dublin flatland and wants to play GAA? If Dublin clubs refuse imports we would be accused of all sorts against country lads!! You could argue it doesn't help the Dubs - in either code - think UCD! Anyway Geezer was not from Cross but Mullaghbawn - so maybe that swayed him.

What I do not like is guys transferring within Dublin .... my own namesake included!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next