GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history!

+3
clash-of-da-ash
Jayo Cluxton
sportstime
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history! Empty The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history!

Post  Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:00 pm

1. Yeats wins an unprecendented fourth Ascot Gold Cup after recieving a masterful ride by Johnny Murtagh!

2. Genoa 1990: Timofte shoots, Packie saves, then up steps Dave O'Leary to put Ireland in the last eight of the World Cup, he obliges, Ireland rejoices.

3. Pedro Delgado a full minute and a half clear of Stephen Roche, Roche storms up the final climb on La Plange, claws it back to four seconds, collapes, gets a bit of oxygen and goes on to win the Tour De France a few days later and and a few months after that completed the Triple Crown.

The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history! Ireland-large-flag-ei

Back to top Go down

The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history! Empty Re: The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history!

Post  sportstime Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Dawn Run coming up the Cheltenham hill in 1986 trumps any one of Yeats Gold Cups.
sportstime
sportstime
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cork
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history! Empty Re: The three greatest moments in Irish sporting history!

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Has to be Charlie Haughey's triumph in the 1987 Tour de France. A low key under the radar performance until the very last day on the Champs Elysees when up he popped to claim the yellow .........

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Padraig Harrington's double major winning year.
Ireland's Grand Slam 2009.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Michelle De Bruin wins gold.

And again.

And again.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 pm

patrique wrote:Michelle De Bruin wins gold.

And again.

And again.

Your avatar gives it away .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:58 pm

1884 the founding of the GAA
1971 formation of club championships
Seamus Darbys goal
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 pm

1916, O'Neills opened....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Jim and Bright-Oak seem to be struggling with the concept of what sport exactly is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:23 pm

Did the man who opened O'Neills in 1916 lie on the ground for twenty minutes after he did it requiring oxygen?

Did he win four successive Ascot Gold Cups?

Did he save a Temofti penalty in Genoa in 1990?

Same questions apply to the lad who did something in 1884.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 am

In all fairness Loyal, it's more about the horse than the jockey, just like Its more about the car than the driver!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 am

Bright-Oak wrote:In all fairness Loyal, it's more about the horse than the jockey, just like Its more about the car than the driver!

I would not agree with that at all. Why do you think it is so?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:37 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Bright-Oak wrote:In all fairness Loyal, it's more about the horse than the jockey, just like Its more about the car than the driver!

I would not agree with that at all. Why do you think it is so?

I'm only winding Loyal I don't have a clue about horse racing!! Ps, I bought apair of Meath Shorts today on sale in the O Neills factory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 am

Did you really? I'm sure they will suit your lovely Derry legs great! Wink

The O'Neills factory on the Long Mile Road in Dublin or is there one up nearer to you?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:56 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Did you really? I'm sure they will suit your lovely Derry legs great! Wink

The O'Neills factory on the Long Mile Road in Dublin or is there one up nearer to you?

There's one in Strabane and one in Andystown, used to be one in Campsie in Derry but as far as I know it's shut.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 am

Yeah Dublin would be a long way away just for a pair of Meath shorts!

Wear them with pride now!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:09 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Yeah Dublin would be a long way away just for a pair of Meath shorts!

Wear them with pride now!

Nowhere is too far! l)

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 am

I am getting seriously worried about Bright Oak and Loyal.

Meath shorts? Now into cross dressing, what the hell next?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:58 pm

1.Ronnie Delaney's Gold medal at the 1956 Olympics.
2.John Treacy's Silver madal in LA 1984.
3.Paul McGrath's performance in the Giant's Stadium NJ v Italy 1994.

Honourable mention to Sean Kelly's act of patriotism in ensuring that Stephen Roche won the World Championship in Moscow in 1987.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:02 am

Boxtyeater wrote:

Honourable mention to Sean Kelly's act of patriotism in ensuring that Stephen Roche won the World Championship in Moscow in 1987.

Kelly has to feature somewhere alright Boxty - and I am getting to be a PITA correcting ya but it was Austria - Villach I think?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:11 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Jim and Bright-Oak seem to be struggling with the concept of what sport exactly is.
Everyones concept is different
So I kept it local.

But one I missed was the Tail teann games the lines ups for the times was immense
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:43 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:

Kelly has to feature somewhere alright Boxty - and I am getting to be a PITA correcting ya but it was Austria - Villach I think?

You are probably right in the venue Jayo but the you/tube footage, having reviewed same is usless. My memory of the day zones in on Kelly grinding his way to the head of the peleton and then, about 1k. from home roaring in his big Carrick voice "Now Stephen, g'wan ta phook"

As Roche snaked through and hit for home, Kelly became the Tommy Walsh of the team (Martin Earley the 3rd.man) with blocking and shoulder charging and downright skullduggery.

jerry
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:51 am

Only two cyclists have done The Triple Crown.

One was Stephen Roche.

The other was the Cannibal.

The Tour starts in two weeks too, can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:54 am

Barry McGuigan beating Eusebio Pedroza in Loftus Road, 1985 Wink
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 am

I just forgot to add there Jayo that I've been to many sports council meetings over the years and a more down-to-earth, genuine and un-assuming guy you could not meet.
Partly because of this, my favourite question goes like this, perfected by Junior Boxty's:

Who was the greatest person to wear/carry the Irish shirt?

As Cyril might respond to Ger " I've seen 'em all Ger but" Sean Kelly tops 'em all..

Yours in acknowleding legends,
Boxty.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next