GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread..

+6
Grenvile
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
patrique
SamiPremier08
Boxtyeater
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Empty Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread..

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Following the success of Louis Walsh in the Gear Grinder of the year poll, the directors of this forum have invited me to conduct a survey to ascertain whom, in the combined wisdom of forumites, deserves this title.
This is an onerous task for me, given my advancing years, but we'll have a go...

A small number of criteria will exist:
1. Must be living at time of nomination.
2. Must have some achievement to merit nomination.
3. Open to all sexes and to incorporate the entire island.
4. Must be a resident of the island..
5. Nominations must be substantiated with reasons therefor.

Feel free to nominate...nominations will close in 168 hours (or thereabouts)..whence a polling situation* will commence..

*I love elections/counts/transfers/eliminations...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Empty Re: Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread..

Post  SamiPremier08 Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Bob Geldof

Band Aid, Live Aid, Live 8 etc. Done a lot for those less fortunate.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Empty Re: Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread..

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Head of the Seanad - Donie Cassidy

Only he could confuse the Jack and Jill foundation with the Jekyll and Hyde foundation. Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Excellent nomination Sami.....I'm keeping my first choice nominee (and overall winner ) secret for a while... Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_wink ..Anyway:

Albert Reynolds.....for Ballroom management in the 60's and re-invigorating Ireland's telephone system in the early 80's..
And for ousting CJH...... Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. 19213
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Sebastian wrote:Head of the Seanad - Donie Cassidy

Only he could confuse the Jack and Jill foundation with the Jekyll and Hyde foundation. Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_razz

Quote Bertie.."smoke and daggers".... Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_lol
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Bob Geldof would be a good one.

I've always had a lot of respect for Mícheál O'Muircheartaigh. He has made a mammoth effort in promoting the Irish language, as well as doing a lot of Charity work. He's the nation's best commentator and is the most recognised voice in the GAA. One of the best Irish people in my opinion.

Maureen O'Hara is a great woman too, with the amount of work she's done for the film industry in Ireland.

Bono has done many a charity effort and has helped people all over the world. He's a good guy- a lot of animosity towards him from people but meh-ya always have that in showbiz!

Adi Roche has done so much for people after the Chernobyl catastrophe. A wonderful woman, who perseveres with her work despite all the dangers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 pm

my nomination is from the business world

I have excluded McManus,Desmond,Smurfit,O Brien on teh grounds that they are not irish resident and some of them are more investors/Corporate financiers rather than true creators of wealth and jobs

AJF is a consideration but I fell that his media coverage of his own failings (ie Waterford) can be selective- in addition his insistance at being called Sir Anthony does impact on his true Irishness.

so that leaves two strong contenders in second place I would have Sean Quinn - creator of jobs in deprived areas and a monopoly buster though his success has mainly come in Ireland and his passive investments have not been as successful

So my nomination is a man who has taken on ane beaten established state backed companies across Europe -

Micheal O Leary

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_lol
EstherMayo1951 wrote:Bob Geldof would be a good one.

I've always had a lot of respect for Mícheál O'Muircheartaigh. He has made a mammoth effort in promoting the Irish language, as well as doing a lot of Charity work. He's the nation's best commentator and is the most recognised voice in the GAA. One of the best Irish people in my opinion.

Maureen O'Hara is a great woman too, with the amount of work she's done for the film industry in Ireland.

Bono has done many a charity effort and has helped people all over the world. He's a good guy- a lot of animosity towards him from people but meh-ya always have that in showbiz!

Adi Roche has done so much for people after the Chernobyl catastrophe. A wonderful woman, who perseveres with her work despite all the dangers.

The directors have instructed me to be very forceful with the nomination process hence this post is deemed null and void.
I'm very sorry about this Essie but it's beyond my control...Singular nominations only (substantionated) .see the rules as outlined....three nominees so far.....Bob the knob, Donie of the hair and Albert Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_king ......Do keep up there please..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Ruanua wrote:so that leaves two strong contenders in second place I would have Sean Quinn - creator of jobs in deprived areas and a monopoly buster though his success has mainly come in Ireland and his passive investments have not been as successful

So my nomination is a man who has taken on ane beaten established state backed companies across Europe -

Micheal O Leary

You may nominate as many as you like Rua....I'm in an administrative Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Suspect role here, but given the opportunity I'd have a fresh look at the process......see highlighted....JD's brother, he of the €435k salary at BNM will be disbarred on the spot....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_lol
EstherMayo1951 wrote:Bob Geldof would be a good one.

The directors have instructed me to be very forceful with the nomination process hence this post is deemed null and void.
I'm very sorry about this Essie but it's beyond my control...Singular nominations only (substantionated) .see the rules as outlined....three nominees so far.....Bob the knob, Donie of the hair and Albert Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Icon_king ......Do keep up there please..

Surely Adi Roche merits a nomination Boxty? The work she has done for kids in Chernobyl is incredible!

Michael O' Leary was mentioned, for goodness sake-he's far from the greatest, in fact imo, he'd be at the other end. I'd nominate Bertie himself before I'd give that fella a nomination(no offence Rua! Very Happy )

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Just to clarify here Peig, Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Herz ..You, in your initial nomination, are going for Adi Roche???
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Eamon McCann.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:56 pm

patrique wrote:Eamon McCann.

See rules.....invalid....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Dessie Farrell
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Jeezuis ye're useless....

I'll nominate the current (and forever ) Cork secretary...Frank Murphy*...

Why: Because he epitomises the fundalemtals of the founding fathers...games for the gaels..
He might appear "dinasoliuar" and be lambasted by all, but Frank Murphy leaves the rest in his wake...

Not alone a Cork, but a national legend......
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:57 pm

mullins[b] wrote:Dessie Farrell
[/b]

Invalid..see rules
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm

I nominate boxty for making sure is feiends and neighbours get a good send off.
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 pm

any fianna fail politician they are good folk they really know how to run a country

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Just to clarify here Peig, Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. Herz ..You, in your initial nomination, are going for Adi Roche???

Ok, yes I nominate Adi Roche! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 pm

hipster wrote:any fianna fail politician they are good folk they really know how to run a country

Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. 19213 Greatest living Irish person....Nominations thread.. 19213
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 pm

This is a tough call so rather than nominate at this time I will think out loud on this post......... Charlie Bird - ace reporter and all alone in the US - great guy ... Joe Duffy - voice and champion of the insane common people ... Brendan O'Connor -ace journalist and Mr Saturday Night and finally a reason to stay in .... Brendan O'Carroll - just so funny .. I mean Mrs Brown and her wobbly bits .... God this is tough ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Im going to go for Christy Moore. Because he's Christy Moore.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:08 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:This is a tough call so rather than nominate at this time I will think out loud on this post......... Charlie Bird - ace reporter and all alone in the US - great guy ... Joe Duffy - voice and champion of the insane common people ... Brendan O'Connor -ace journalist and Mr Saturday Night and finally a reason to stay in .... Brendan O'Carroll - just so funny .. I mean Mrs Brown and her wobbly bits .... God this is tough ....

Invalid....The Box's man has an ardous day.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:23 am

I protest - I am merely musing. We live in such a great country that it is difficult to separate our icons ...... I have not even mentioned Pat Kenny - a man nearly loved by all except maybe neighbours.... Eddie Hobbs - lilting joyful and full of self effacement ...... Eamon Dunphy - a man of conviction and belief who never changes his mind about anything ....... David McWilliams - if only we took some garlic and listened to him ... it's tough
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Boxty

I do feel that our Public servants should not be overlooked.
so I think credit should go to which of them has got himself the handiest job in Ireland.
Clearly it has to someone in a senior well paid role. I would have thought that HSE has to be excluded as that seems like too much work and grief and only a fool would take such a job. Mr P. McManus is a consideration but again I supose he does have the hassle of worrying about power cuts or the impact of strikes. VHI, Bord Gais, CIE, Aer Lingus etc all have the hassle of worrying about having to compete with the private sector.
so Ive narrowed it down to 2 and I do think that GD' is a contender
435k and what can go wrong - If we run out of turf he has done a good job selling it and its not like he can make any more.
But im afraid he gets pipped by the CEO of Coillte.
Again 400k odd per annum Stick a few trees in the ground and assume they grow. KPI - Are there trees - YES and are they growing YES. Are we short on trees if so plant some more - if not cut some down. Tree's can't strike - if the workers strike the trees still grow
That to me is a good job

So my next nomination goes to the man that had the wit to get himself the best job in Ireland - Mr D Gunning CEO Coillte

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next