GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Croker - Corporate style

3 posters

Go down

Croker - Corporate style Empty Croker - Corporate style

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Just typed a long winded but thoroughly funny account of my recent corporate experience to Croker. had just finished - pressed a couple of (wrong obviousyl) buttons and lost the ****ing lot! Evil or Very Mad

Might try again tomorrow ... Bah! Humbug!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Croker - Corporate style Empty Re: Croker - Corporate style

Post  JimWexford Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Just typed a long winded but thoroughly funny account of my recent corporate experience to Croker. had just finished - pressed a couple of (wrong obviousyl) buttons and lost the ****ing lot! Evil or Very Mad

Might try again tomorrow ... Bah! Humbug!

Gave away 8 corporate tickets for Sunday (all courtesy of a certain Fermanagh man, and not the first time this year), Youngest is playing in an U7 blitz.
Weighed up the possibilities of the better game, it was no contest.
If the rain stays away and some heat in the day , will hit the beach, no radio nothing , really am gone that disillusioned with inter-county fair.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:54 pm

My bud - a Dorghedean and non-practising Gael (had not been in Croker since 1984 or so!) met up with our crew at 1.30 outside Quinns and proceeded to our afternoon oasis. Among us, my mate's colleague - a Southside Dub and nice guy with no GAA heritage! A Dub who we quickly established double dated a girl (many moons ago) that lived up the road from me! We also had our sponsor - a sound Kerry lad with a good knowledge of the game - as norm. Others joined later but these were my alcobuddies!

On entry before 2 the lovely Ms McDonald greeted us and took the first of many orders - Ken No 1 ar an slí! We watched Brolly and Co spout as we scoffed square inch sandwiches, nibbled celery sticks (jeeze!) and nachos with green stuff in a bowl!

more anon ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:My bud - a Dorghedean and non-practising Gael (had not been in Croker since 1984 or so!) met up with our crew at 1.30 outside Quinns and proceeded to our afternoon oasis. Among us, my mate's colleague - a Southside Dub and nice guy with no GAA heritage! A Dub who we quickly established double dated a girl (many moons ago) that lived up the road from me! We also had our sponsor - a sound Kerry lad with a good knowledge of the game - as norm. Others joined later but these were my alcobuddies!

On entry before 2 the lovely Ms McDonald greeted us and took the first of many orders - Ken No 1 ar an slí! We watched Brolly and Co spout as we scoffed square inch sandwiches, nibbled celery sticks (jeeze!) and nachos with green stuff in a bowl!

more anon ....

Irish traveller in Rovers Return brawl post ....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 pm

The first game got underway and I looked down at the open front of the Cusack below me and all the plebs people getting wet - with much sympathy Twisted Evil . An early Down goal had the stocky Tyronie in the box next door on his feet - roaring as much as if it was Mugsy. At halftime I opined to another Kerryman and his young son as well as mein host that they looked in real trouble. I ordered two Kens in a show of drowning sorrows sympathy. Laughing More carrots and olives followed with no pizza in sight. A quick run down the hall to the lift, wristband fitted and my first meeting of many with two Tyrone ladies and a bunch of lads with them. At a later smoke sprint one of the ladies loudly broke wind in the lift - forgetting where she was for a second I think - thankfully it was a short trip but it was a priceless moment for all in that small space - especially when the doors opened!

Into the second half and a brief Kerry revival was quelled at which point I sadly said to my new best buddy that their gander seemed roasted - he nodded. And so the final whistle blew - other Kingdom-man and sad wee boy were in Heuston before Gooch was in the shower. And I thought to myself - sheeeeeeeeeiiite - we are hardly gonna have two shocks in one day. Sad

And then there was hot food. A bit of chicken and a pannyni penini panninin toasted bit of bread with ham I think. I looked at the full up Hill (well before 4 ha!) and wished I was there. Suddenly I realised how I could join them - in spirit! 'Ms Mc Donald - two pints of Dutch Gold please!' sez I. A look of Rolling Eyes told me they didn't do DG - 6 Heino so sez I! Very Happy

We watched the 'experts' on TV now Sleep and the tension was building. Spillane was sick as many small hospitals at this stage but toughing it out through gritted lisps! I went out - to drink the atmosphere for a change! It was electric. I was thinking if we get to half time still in it I'll be hapy enough. And we did thanks to Mr Penrose - phew - close!

HT - more cigs and pints and chat. Now I was thinking if we are in it with 10 to go ... who knows! The rest is history. When O'Gara scored I hit my head off one of the floodlights. The final whistle brought a feeling of euphoria which could not have been matched by the contents of a dozen head shops. I had not experienced it for many years in Croker and it made the pain of recent years just wash away. The emotion and passion shown by three Dubs in that box surprised the non-believers but subsequent bar converstations and emails left them very impressed with it and the undoubted power and pull of the GAA. They are on the road to conversion.

I sailed across Jones Road a few more Heinos later - but would have done so sober too. I was ecstatic. Kennedys brought many conversations with Tyrone folk - old, new, male amd female - all of them very decent people - and that is not patronising. They were sound as a pound. A mistaken hook up with the Bros in the most favoured post-match watering hole followed .... a taxi home ... which could just not pass the local - I think it ran out of petrol... Wink

On the only sour note of the day and night I was attacked on the way home. I admit I had a good sup on board and should have been more vigilant. But to this day I have no idea how that foot high wall in front of the nursing home crept up behind me (like you did to a lad at school) and pushed me over it! Shocked I was stuck in a recent pruned hedge for about 5 minutes - laughingly trying to get up with the bad knee in unbending mood! I recalled Pat Gilroy's words of a year past and realised that the earwigs had disappeared but here was one large startled 6' 4" beetle - unable to get off his back! Razz I eventually did and trundled home. I could swear that the windows of the home were full of 90 year olds giving me a standing ovation - but that's the drink for ya. And so to bed. A rough enough Sunday morning followed but its never as bad when you win. A real day to remember!

[JC available to all Corporate ticket holders - true testimony below!!!]

Just a quick line to thank you and ......... for your very generous offer and your hospitality last Saturday. I really enjoyed the day and I have developed a new found interest in GAA. It’s certainly a very civilised way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Your friend “big” ... is a great character [JC] Laughing and I look forward to having a drink with yourself and him on another occasion. Can you pass on my commiseration to ......., and thank him for his generous invitation.?

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down