Football American style

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Football American style

Post  6inarow on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:40 pm

As the season is starting this weeknd I thought I'd ask is anyone out there a fan of American Football? Which team do you follow? How did you end up following them? And if yu're a gambler who do you think will win the Superbowl?

Personally I was lumbered with following the Los Angeles now St Louis Rams thanks to an uncle who used to live out in LA. He broughT me a Rams jersey back from the States one Christmas and I've kept an eye on them ever since. They used to be rubbish, then they were brilliant and now they're worse than when they were rubbish!

I've got to say say I enjoy the sport but I know it's not to everyone's tastes.

I'd be looking at maybe New England, Pittsburgh or Baltimore to win it this year. If Tom Brady stays fit all year I'd say New England.

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  black&white on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I'd be a fan as well. Broncos are my team, have friends in Denver and have been over to them and been at a few games.
I'd agree that the Patriots look strong this year, but I'd have a sneaky suspicion that the Colts are due one of their big seasons again this season.
Steelers won't be as strong as last year, they didn't look very imaginative on Thurs night, and I feel that they could struggle to get their running game going with so many teams moving to the 3-4 defence this week.
avatar
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1082
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  SamiPremier08 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm

I think it's crap.

The American President saw a game of rugby and declared it too dangerous and therefore introduced the forward pass and massive amounts of body armour.

So when the Yanks make out how tough they are someone should remind them that it's basically rugby for pansies.
avatar
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2683

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Shinners on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!
The Seahawks are my team. Was in Seattle on hols the year they went all the way to the Superbowl so I follow them.

_________________
Ask not what your county can do for you.
avatar
Shinners
Moderator
Moderator

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  bocerty on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Can't stand the sport to be honest would rather stick pins in my eyes.................

_________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
avatar
bocerty
Moderator
Moderator

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  JimWexford on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:33 am

Watch out for the bears got a 1/4back now.
NE will be there so to the steelers potential conference final
avatar
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2017

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  6inarow on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Shinners wrote:Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!
The Seahawks are my team. Was in Seattle on hols the year they went all the way to the Superbowl so I follow them.

I think my Rams were on holiday there too, 28 - 0, it's going to be a long year!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  black&white on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:36 pm

6inarow wrote:
Shinners wrote:Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!
The Seahawks are my team. Was in Seattle on hols the year they went all the way to the Superbowl so I follow them.

I think my Rams were on holiday there too, 28 - 0, it's going to be a long year!

Early days yet, but the Rams do look like they're going to do their best to equal Detroit's record from last season
avatar
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1082
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  JimWexford on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:56 pm

black&white wrote:
6inarow wrote:
Shinners wrote:Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!
The Seahawks are my team. Was in Seattle on hols the year they went all the way to the Superbowl so I follow them.

I think my Rams were on holiday there too, 28 - 0, it's going to be a long year!

Early days yet, but the Rams do look like they're going to do their best to equal Detroit's record from last season

not possible don't think antone can go without winning again
avatar
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2017

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  6inarow on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:26 pm

We have to play Detroit this year so if we don't win that one it might just be possible!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  mossbags on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Was a fan of the 49ers in my youth. Montana was some man to throw a ball and the wide reciever, think his name was Gerry Rice if memory serves was pure class. The old man used to let me stay up late to watch it on Ch 4 but kind of lost track of it since it went to Sky Sports as cant be bothered with that. Think its a great sport though, if anyone has any good links to games dont hesitate to throw them up
avatar
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3409
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  6inarow on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Jayo Cluxton on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:13 pm

6inarow wrote:Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

Are they brief cos its a s***e game and so there are little or no highlights???

4 quarters of 20 minutes that take six hours to play and a guy coming on with a jockstrap to kick a ball over a bar that Gooch would do with a blindfold on .....

Fan - moi - I don't think so ...

_________________
"It's a great thing to meet great men but the greatest thing about meeting great men is when they do not see themselves as great men." - Carl Jung (Leitrim)
avatar
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13292

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  mossbags on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 pm

6inarow wrote:Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

Are the cheerleaders included in these highlights Turlough?
avatar
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3409
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  6inarow on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 am

mossbags wrote:
6inarow wrote:Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

Are the cheerleaders included in these highlights Turlough?

Moss there's a whole different section for the cheerleaders

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Swinford2009 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 am

huge fan of NFL.delighted the season is back on. big NYJ fan cause i have relations in New York and have always loved New York city.dont ask why i chose Jets over Giants, just did. Could be heading into a good year this year.not gonna make superbowl but if we at least get a playoff victory then il be happy.

San Diego Chargers or New England Patriots to win superbowl. depends on who has the better year,LaDanian Tomlinkson or Tom Brady
avatar
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269
Age : 30

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  mossbags on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Bump

American Football is back on Channel 4. I used to be mad into this when I was a sprog. Have a soft spot for the 49ers but haven't really been following it much the last few years. The return of action to C4 is a great excuse to stay up all night on Sundays now.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/onion-sports-2010-nfl-teambyteam-guide,18023/?slide=4
avatar
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3409
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  OMAR on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Haven't followed this in years
Used to be a big fan in the eighties

Walter Payton, Montana to Rice - Young to Rice - Dion Sanders - John elway - The 49ers two minute drill - Emmet Smith etc etc.

avatar
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  clash-of-da-ash on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Going to go for the Cincinnati Bengals this year, more than likely a team the hasn't won it in the last 10 years will win it this year, there is at least 10 teams capable of going on a good run and winning the Superbowl.
avatar
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1933

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:54 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Going to go for the Cincinnati Bengals this year, more than likely a team the hasn't won it in the last 10 years will win it this year, there is at least 10 teams capable of going on a good run and winning the Superbowl.

The beauty of the NFL is that it is wide open every year, as a result of the salary cap, free agency and draft system (admittedly the salary cap is suspended this year).

I have a feeling that Dallas could go well, despite them losing their first 2 games, and also like the look of Green Bay and Baltimore. Pittsburgh are a better side than they looked at the end of last year, and they could well be in the mix again, especially with Rothleisburger to come back later in the season.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  black&white on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I think the Packers will be the team to beat this year. Rogers seems to be maturing into an outstanding QB, and the team has no obvious weaknesses.

After last night's blow-out the Jets could make a surprise burst, but I think Sanchez needs another season or two to gain some consistency.

I reckon the Eagles could be this year's surprise package, Vick seems to be finding the form that he showed in Atlanta and could provide the intangible to bring them to the playoffs, but they need to bench Kolb before he will start regularly.

The Bronco's are another team who could be dark horses for a Championship game. Orton seems to have settled into the team nicely, and McDaniels seems to have found his feet as a head coach. They ahve a good running game, and I can see Tim Tebow taking more and more snaps as the season progresses. Like Vick, Tebow brings something different to the offence, and he's an exciting option for them.
avatar
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1082
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Dr.Shephard on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:04 am

SamiPremier08 wrote:I think it's crap.

The American President saw a game of rugby and declared it too dangerous and therefore introduced the forward pass and massive amounts of body armour.

So when the Yanks make out how tough they are someone should remind them that it's basically rugby for pansies.


That is one of the most ridiculous posts ever on this site.
You shouldn't comment on a game you know nothing about.

The first bet I ever had on the NFL was adouble with the Bears and the Jets. Kinda follow both since but don't support anyone as such.

Brilliant game once you take time to understand it. Try watching the repeat on Skysports on the Monday.
It still shows the full game but without all the breaks.
avatar
Dr.Shephard
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Leitrim
Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 am

Well, as predicted by myself and B&W, the Packers and Steelers have made the superbowl, for what will be the most-watched sporting event in the world this year.

Few sports divide public opinion on this side of the Atlantic as much as American Football but, Sunday's game should be a mighty battle between 2 of the NFLs traditional giants. And for those of you who don't enjoy the game itself, there's always Fergie (no, Patrique, not that one, nor the other one who married Prince Andrew either) who will be performing during the half-time show.


avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  RMDrive on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 pm

I like the big QB - Rothlessberger (not even close I know). I saw a game earlier this season where he got his nose broke during the game and played on no bother. He looks big and awkward but he seems pretty good. So I'll go for whichever team he plays for (Steelers I think).
avatar
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3126
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  black&white on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm

black&white wrote:I think the Packers will be the team to beat this year. Rogers seems to be maturing into an outstanding QB, and the team has no obvious weaknesses.

After last night's blow-out the Jets could make a surprise burst, but I think Sanchez needs another season or two to gain some consistency.

I reckon the Eagles could be this year's surprise package, Vick seems to be finding the form that he showed in Atlanta and could provide the intangible to bring them to the playoffs, but they need to bench Kolb before he will start regularly.

The Bronco's are another team who could be dark horses for a Championship game. Orton seems to have settled into the team nicely, and McDaniels seems to have found his feet as a head coach. They ahve a good running game, and I can see Tim Tebow taking more and more snaps as the season progresses. Like Vick, Tebow brings something different to the offence, and he's an exciting option for them.


Cough, cough........ just ignore the last paragraph, lack of oxygen at altitude went to my head
avatar
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1082
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Football American style

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum