GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Division 1 League Final

+8
Real Kerry Fan
Royal_Girl2k9
hipster 2
Boxtyeater
mullins
bocerty
RMDrive
Jayo Cluxton
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Division 1 League Final - Page 2 Empty Re: Division 1 League Final

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Ah no not a setback as such. Mind you if we were to lose I suppose the nature of the defeat might dictate whether it might be construed as a setback.

Fairly pi55ed off about Sunday and the above has come to pass. Will post deliberations shortly .... not a bit good ... Evil or Very Mad

when Brogan went off it seemed like he took about 3-4 other men with him - how they lost that one i dont know but thats the Dubs for you i suppose. Hard to shake of the one man team stigma after that collapse.

Back to the drawing board Pat!!!! And Mullins too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 pm

bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Ah no not a setback as such. Mind you if we were to lose I suppose the nature of the defeat might dictate whether it might be construed as a setback.

Fairly pi55ed off about Sunday and the above has come to pass. Will post deliberations shortly .... not a bit good ... Evil or Very Mad

when Brogan went off it seemed like he took about 3-4 other men with him - how they lost that one i dont know but thats the Dubs for you i suppose. Hard to shake of the one man team stigma after that collapse.

Back to the drawing board Pat!!!! And Mullins too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good to see a team in red + white can still bring a smile to your face...

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:27 pm

was a good game and cork deserved to win us dubs learned a lot from losing this game we will come back stronger from this , as i say your better off contesting finals than giving walk overs
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Aimed at Leitrim's concession of 2 points to London in the NFL. As pointed out previously, the game was of no benefit to either of us, but if you're happy seeing Central Council pay for Leitrim to travel (again) to London for a pointless exercise, carry on.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:53 pm

sure we might as well cancel all league games where there are no points at stake , do you understand sport leitrim and fingal have made a show of themselves this year a total disgrace , both should be thrown out of all adult competions for at least a year
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 am

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

a mediocre team at that ...............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

hipster 2 wrote:sure we might as well cancel all league games where there are no points at stake , do you understand sport leitrim and fingal have made a show of themselves this year a total disgrace , both should be thrown out of all adult competions for at least a year

If you look into the facts surrounding the Leitrim/London re-fixture, you will find it was cleared and approved by Central Council, who were funding the jolly anyway.
No doubt the forum researcher will be able to drag up the relevant article and bang it up here.

I don't find the need to deal with teams or people "making shows of themselves" as I've already referred to this on another thread. Wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 am

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

just goes to prove too Mullins that all your slabbering about last years quarter final between Dublin and Tyrone and how the game would turn out was more luck than anything else, last year you got lucky this time round perhaps you were found out No No No No
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:53 am

Boc thats bullshit to say we got lucky last year - we beat ye end of story. And in all fairness Tyrone have done **** all since 2008.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 am

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

just goes to prove too Mullins that all your slabbering about last years quarter final between Dublin and Tyrone and how the game would turn out was more luck than anything else, last year you got lucky this time round perhaps you were found out No No No No

Don't be fooled by league results bocerty..Only 8 of the team that started last years semi started this years League final....In one way im glad we did not collect a League title what does it mean nothing...

I couldn't even tell you who won them in the 00s....

We showed enough on Sunday for 50 mins- to show we won't be to far away this year-avoid kerry and Cork we will at least reach a final and on the day we might just nick one..

To finish a game with 5 of our best forwards on the bench, and lose by 1 point who would have thought that at the start of the league....

Progress again so far

Very Happy
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:21 am

Have to admit this was a shocking defeat. I indicated last week that a loss would not be a disaster depending on the nature of it - this was a disaster. When we went 8 points up early in the 2nd half I turned to the guy beside me and said 'this would be a terrible game to lose' - I think he thought I was going mad. But we did.

Where to start??? Firstly we had enough possession to win the game - so the probs weren't in midfield as such - but one of the biggest faults was carrying the ball into contact. McAuley and McManaman were the worst offenders but there were others. Time and again they did this - madness. Gilroy says we can learn from this ... well sorry Pat - but if guys who are playing for 2/3 years don't understand this basic then I despair.

In the first 15 minutes we played really well - the defence was tight and everyone was tight on their man. For the next 20 and for 30 minutes of the second half this went out the window. There is no point in having a 'blanket' defence if the oposition are allowed to shoot under no pressure from 30 metres out. Stupid! The signs werer there in the League when we were conceding too many - often against poor opposition - 16 points v Cork, 1-15 v Kerry, 3-13 v Mayo and 15 v Galway. In short the system is not working.

But where we really fail is the pressure this system puts on our attacking threat. Brogan going off was a setback but why the hell he took off Connolly - a guy who can score - is beyond me. I always said Mossy Quinn was too slow for Champ football. If the argument is that he is a good dead ball kicker then sorry he utterly failed that test on Sunday. Mossy is not good enough for C'ship football - end of story. With Connolly and Brogan off there was no out ball - it just kept coming back down the field. After these lads all we have are workhorses - all the same type of player. Nobody who will get you a few scores ... even one score! We have half backs and half forwards who are interchangeable - same type of player - no inventiveness or cunning. Your HF should be capable of giving you 5 points per game. Ours doesn't.

Forget this conditioning and weights etc.... teach the basics Pat. We need scoring forwards. We need a defence that marks tight. And we need smart players who don't carry the ball into contact with 3 opposition players.

I don't care that we didn't win the title - but the manner of defeat was shocking altogether.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Every sport has it's chokers:

Football - England, Holland, Arsenal
Rugby - New Zealand
Snooker - Jimmy White, Mark Selby
Golf - Rort McIllroy
Athletics - Asaafa Powell, Paula Radcliffe
Cycling - Cadel Evans, Danielle Bennatti

Dublin, unfortunetely for them, do appear to have trouble getting over the winning line. But whilst, I would have placed Pillar's Dubs in with those mentioned, I'd hoped Giller's Dubs had turned the corner. Old ways came back to haunt them on Sunday though. It could be their destiny to always come agonisingly close.

I'd love to understand the mindset of a choker, how can a team or individual be so good and then, when one final big push is required, they are merely embers. Look at Selby here in the snooker - how many times has he promised to become the next greatest thing, yet here he is with one ranking tournament to his name, getting hopelessly destroyed by some Chinese fella. McIllroy in the Golf, or New Zealand arguably beat all when it comes to the World Cup. The Dubs are in esteemed company right now.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Totally disagree with choking Loyal. They were not good enough to win on Sunday - simple as. Nothing to do with choking. When you have only two scoring forwards and lose one to injury and then inexplicably take the other off then you are asking for trouble.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Totally disagree with choking Loyal. They were not good enough to win on Sunday - simple as. Nothing to do with choking. When you have only two scoring forwards and lose one to injury and then inexplicably take the other off then you are asking for trouble.

JC people from outside Dublin will always see us as choking till we get over the line...Sunday was just another crazy day for a Dublin fan...When we went 8 up i started thinking this is crazy football..

We lost 3 forwards in 7 mins that alone would knock the stuffing out of most teams..Giller got things wrong sunday i hope he learns from it and moves on..

Connolly was injured and had to go off..

Don't know why he didn't bring Paddy Andrews on first..Philly Ryan was another option not used in the forwards..

We will be in the championship till at least August lets hope we get all our players back soon and move to next level....

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Cork were missing 3/4 players and then lost another 3 during the game but could cope - we couldn't. It bothers me that these guys are still 'learning' what I would consider basics when we are this far down the road ..... We need scoring power off the bench but we ain't got any. He should have blooded some of the U21 forwards during the League.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Totally disagree with choking Loyal. They were not good enough to win on Sunday - simple as. Nothing to do with choking. When you have only two scoring forwards and lose one to injury and then inexplicably take the other off then you are asking for trouble.

If you are 2-12 to 0-10 up and coasting with 25 minutes remaining and lose 0-11 to 0-2 thereafter missing some incredibly easy chances and making dozens of schoolboy mistakes, then I'd view those kind of things as all the hallmarks of a choke. If Dublin weren't good enough to win, then one has to ask how they managed to find themselves with an 8 point surplus as the game entered it's closing stages.

McMenamin and Mossy Quinn are scoring forwards in my opinion, at least in modern parlance. The half-back line are all comfortable attackers too. It wasn't lack of scoring potential that cost Dublin, it was a fear of victory.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Cork were missing 3/4 players and then lost another 3 during the game but could cope - we couldn't. It bothers me that these guys are still 'learning' what I would consider basics when we are this far down the road ..... We need scoring power off the bench but we ain't got any. He should have blooded some of the U21 forwards during the League.

I heard that there wasn't even 1 of last year's U21 team on the panel on Sunday? That seems extremely strange..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Cork were missing 3/4 players and then lost another 3 during the game but could cope - we couldn't. It bothers me that these guys are still 'learning' what I would consider basics when we are this far down the road ..... We need scoring power off the bench but we ain't got any. He should have blooded some of the U21 forwards during the League.

4 of our subs won't even get a game in the championship..Giller needs to trim the squad big time and work with between 25-30 players at most.....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Division 1 League Final - Page 2 Empty Vinny to stick by Giller and his beloved Dubs

Post  mullins Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:44 pm

AGAINST THE ODDS: Vinny finds it hard to concentrate on Irish Grand National form after Dublin's second-half capitulation to Cork

OVER A double poached egg and toast, layered with brown sauce, Vinny Fitzpatrick contemplated the sports pages of the Monday newspapers and felt a knot tighten in his capacious stomach.

Try as he might to study the Fairyhouse form for the Irish Grand National, or the English football tables, his eyes were repeatedly drawn to the coverage of the National Football League final and the dissection of Dublin’s implosion against Cork.

It didn’t make pretty reading; Vinny knew it wouldn’t. Then again, it hadn’t been pretty viewing either, not for the final 25 minutes or so, especially to a cluster of middle-aged men on Hill 16 as the boys in blue blew it.

To Vinny, the second-half capitulation reminded him of Rory McIlroy’s hari-kari on the back nine at Augusta.

The lads had been down this road of ruin before, against Cork last year in the All-Ireland semi-final, against Tyrone in 2008, and against Kerry umpteen times. It didn’t get any easier, even though it was the league rather than the championship.

As the lads waited for a 130 bus outside Gaffney’s in Fairview – the notion of spending a tenner on a taxi for the five-minute spin to Foley’s was an anathema to them – they tried to unscramble what they’d witnessed.

“Spineless, clueless, leaderless, a shambles,” wailed Brennie, who felt the hurt in his pocket after putting €20 on Dublin to be leading at both half-time and full-time at 3 to 1.

“This will set us back big-time. We never beat Kerry and now Cork have the hex us on. We’re goosed for another year,” observed Macker, as he sucked on a hand-rolled fag.

Fran felt it was boys against men in the second half. “Cork were half a foot taller all over the park. Every player we brought on was smaller than the one that went off. You won’t win ‘Sam’ with a team of midgets,” he thundered.

At that, the vertically challenged Shanghai Jimmy took umbrage. “What’s size got to do with it? Jayo Sherlock was our best footballer for more than a decade and he was knee-high to a grasshopper,” he rapped.

It required Vinny’s renowned diplomacy to prevent an unsightly ruction. “Steady on Shanghai. Here’s our bus now. Right lads, let’s be having you.”

On the run out to Clontarf, Vinny reflected on the Croker choker. What struck him as bizarre was the absence of a left-footed player on the park. Twice inside the final few minutes, Dublin were crying out for a citeog to pop the ball over the bar, instead Mossy Quinn made a mess of things with his right peg.

It would never have happened with Dollymount Gaels, he thought. When his old man, the late Finbarr Fitzpatrick, was running the team, he scoured the Northside for left-footers.

Vinny had been picked for a Loving Cup tie against Fingallians at 17, not because he was much use, but because he favoured the “sinistra” side. He’d scored three points, two from frees to the right of goal and had stayed in the team for a dozen years until ballooning weight, and his fragile nerve, got the better of him. Yet even now, a fat and frumpy 53, he felt he’d have easily pinged over the two late frees which Dublin fluffed.

It was for this oversight, that he reluctantly held Pat Gilroy, the Dublin manager, responsible. Gilroy couldn’t be faulted for the lack of Leviathans on the Dublin club scene, or the untimely injuries to key players during the final, including the recognised left-footed free-taker, Diarmuid Connolly.

But not having another leftie in the match-day panel was an oversight and one which probably cost Dublin their first NFL title in 12 years – it didn’t help that Conal Keaney, who could have done the job with his eyes closed, had rowed in with the hurlers.

Vinny couldn’t be too hard on Gilroy, who was a sound fellah from St Vincent’s and whose old man, the late Jack Gilroy, had been held in high esteem by the Fitzpatrick family.

It wasn’t widely known that during the late 50s and early 60s, a time when Vins were the Manchester United of the GAA scene, that ‘Giller’ was part of the all-star Vins team which played an annual friendly against Dollymount Gaels in a remote corner of St Anne’s Park. Vinny could recall his Da, who single-handedly kept the Gaels on the road for 30 years, getting all worked up about the game which took place every Easter Tuesday evening.

His old man used to cut the pitch, roll it and mark it out with lime. He hooked up the nets, washed the gear by hand, and brought buckets for the half-time collection – it was against the rules to charge an admission fee for a friendly.

Vins were the poster-boys of the Dublin scene, crammed with medal-laden county stars, in stark contrast to Dollymount Gaels, who struggled to get 15 bodies out most weekends and didn’t have a pot to pee in.

Yet, thanks to the big-hearted Giller, Vins rolled up each year in their dazzling white and blue gear, allowed the gormless Gaels a handful of points, and then dropped in to Foley’s for pots of tea and trays of sangers later. But for the fund-raising fixture, the Gaels would have run out of puff years ago so Vinny wasn’t going to put the boot in on young Giller.

The way he looked at it, the hype surrounding Dublin had now been punctured. They wouldn’t be hailed as the great white hope of the summer, as before. Instead, Cork, Kerry and the northern tribes hordes of Down and Tyrone would be on most folk’s short-lists.

As for the Dubs, forget about them the knockers would say, sure they are all fur coats and no knickers. And that, thought Vinny, might just suit Gilroy and co as they repaired to the privacy of Parnell Park to lick their wounds and prepare to fight another day.

Vinny’s Bismarck
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 pm

The Dubs could be a serious threat in the Championship. Let's face it, in the last SEVEN years only Kerry have managed to beat Cork, and kerry may not be great this year, although I have backed them, as usual.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Lets close this NFL final thread. The Championship starts in a couple of weeks and we have a much anticipated U-21 final on Sunday. New ball game. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Boc thats bullshit to say we got lucky last year - we beat ye end of story. And in all fairness Tyrone have done **** all since 2008.

Calm down Jayo dont be taking your bad mood out on me!!!! I meant Mullins got lucky with his prediction that Dublin would beat Tyrone - in a two horse race you have a 50-50 chance of picking the winner. His in depth knowledge of all things gaelic games is now somewhat suspect given that he predicted Dublin would get it easy against a mediocre Cork team.

He is now making excuses about losing players during the game whilst conveniently over looking the fact that Cork werent exactly at full strength for the entire 70 minutes!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:29 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Boc thats bullshit to say we got lucky last year - we beat ye end of story. And in all fairness Tyrone have done **** all since 2008.

Tyrone have not done a lot since 2005. Gaelic football has been dominated by Cork and kerry since then, with Tyrone's win in 2008, predicted ONLY by Liam Hayes, a bit of an aberration to proceedings.

You have to go back to Fermanagh in 2004 to find a team to have beaten Cork in the championship apart from kerry.

Ulster looks very poor at present, we have two sides in Munster, the Dubs in Leinster, and never ignore mayo, capable of causing the odd shock. Not winners I know, but......
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 am

bocerty wrote:

Calm down Jayo dont be taking your bad mood out on me!!!! I meant Mullins got lucky with his prediction that Dublin would beat Tyrone - in a two horse race you have a 50-50 chance of picking the winner. His in depth knowledge of all things gaelic games is now somewhat suspect given that he predicted Dublin would get it easy against a mediocre Cork team.

He is now making excuses about losing players during the game whilst conveniently over looking the fact that Cork werent exactly at full strength for the entire 70 minutes!!!

Re: Tyrone's championship prospects 2011
mullins on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:59 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:
There have been too many unsavoury incidents within Tyrone club football to mention in the one post, Joe McMahon's just another in a long list, Not too long ago Brian McGuigan near lost a bulb against Aghyaran and who can forget the Errigal/Carmen battles in the mid 90's. In many of these incidents it just seems to be certain individuals out to make a name for themselves but there is no room for any of this outrageous behaviour on any football field.

Back to the topic and Tyrone's championship ambitions this year, I wouldn't write them off as potential champions mainly because of the medioicre competition that is out there at present. I would also have prefferred to have played Monaghan in Clones, Omagh hasn't exactly been a fortress for Tyrone in recent times. I would hope that Justin McMahon would be Ok for Monaghan and if Jordan can sort out his personal issues then hopefully he will be ready for action. Defensive certainties at to start against Monaghan are Gormley, Harte, McMenamin and we'll wait and see for Justin and Jordan. The final places will be between Carlin, McCaul, Sean O'Neill, PJ Quinn, McNabb or Marty Swift. I'd say Pete Harte will start in the half forward line now that Joe has been sidelined.

Dooher was sent off in a club game at the weekend for striking so any chance of him receiving any useful competitive game time prior to the championship is out the window. I don't know where we're running with a 36 year old at this stage of the game anyway and I for one would prefer if his cameo appearance was kept for injury time. There are another round of league fixtures this weekend, hopefully there will be no more injuries to report.

Mugsy mediocre teams out there your are a very funny man reply by Mullins

Now bocerty/boxty the only reason i used medioicre Cork-was to see what fools would pull my post but yet were happy to let mugsy post go unnoticed your self more bocerty..

you really don't have a clue see my reply to Mugsy..sarcasm but you couldn't see it

confused affraid

Last edited by mullins on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 am

bocerty wrote:

We lost a match to Cork don't fooking worry your self ..

We Will Be Champions Come September..

And i couldn't give a fook what you think..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next