GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final

+3
Jayo Cluxton
Loyal2TheRoyal
mugsys_barber
7 posters

Go down

Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final Empty Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final

Post  mugsys_barber Wed May 04, 2011 5:30 pm

The Armagh V Down championship match at the Athletic grounds is set to clash with this years champions league final between Barcelona and most likely Man Utd. The BBC are showing the game live at 7.30pm with RTE doing a deferred version whilst RTE, ITV, Sky and TV3 will be showing the champions league final from 7.45pm.

I remember a few years back a Derry/Donegal ulster championship with sparce attendance during one of the Republics world cup games. I was just wondering what the opinion of others are on this clash or is this just another own goal by the Ulster council in what should have been a really intense championship fixture in the newly refurbished Athletic grounds.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final Empty Re: Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed May 04, 2011 5:53 pm

There's no way I'll be watching that; diving, negative tactics, surrounding the ref, no sportsmanship whatsoever; how would any sports fan watch that?

Manchester United vs Barcelona all the way for me. You can keep your Ulster Championship.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final Empty Re: Armagh V Down clashing with Champions league Final

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:I remember a few years back a Derry/Donegal ulster championship with sparce attendance during one of the Republics world cup games.

Aye mugsy - think that clashed with Spain game which went to extra time and penos - which did not help matters.

"There's no way I'll be watching that; diving, negative tactics, surrounding the ref, no sportsmanship whatsoever; how would any sports fan watch that?"

Presume this is the soccer you are talking about .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:There's no way I'll be watching that; diving, negative tactics, surrounding the ref, no sportsmanship whatsoever; how would any sports fan watch that?

Manchester United vs Barcelona all the way for me. You can keep your Ulster Championship.

is that diving without the ball or diving with the ball Loyal
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

[
is that diving without the ball or diving with the ball Loyal [/quote]

Thats Rugby. You get 5 points for it. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed May 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Should the thread read Champions League Final clashes with Armagh v Down?
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Should the thread read Champions League Final clashes with Armagh v Down?

Not really, I'm quite happy with that thread title RKF given the fact that the Champions league final is a foregone conclusion whilst the Armagh/Down is much harder to call.....
Either way a bit of forward planning will be required involving skipping evening mass and on positioning myself on a bar stool within range of two TV screens so as not to miss out on any of the action in the athletic grounds and any goals scored by Barca at Wembley.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  seabird Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 pm

There are differences in the two games being compared. Donegal/Derry was on in opposition to a World Cup game involving Ireland which would probably have greater appeal locally than the champions league final. Also Derry support traditionally travels poorly along with the fact Clones is a decent journey from most parts of both counties involed. Armagh are at home and Down are next door neighbours so travel distances relatively short in this instance. I'd say the clash will be a real pain for the tv viewer who would like to watch both games but won't affect attendance too badly.

seabird
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

armagh
Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm

seabird wrote:There are differences in the two games being compared. Donegal/Derry was on in opposition to a World Cup game involving Ireland which would probably have greater appeal locally than the champions league final. Also Derry support traditionally travels poorly along with the fact Clones is a decent journey from most parts of both counties involed. Armagh are at home and Down are next door neighbours so travel distances relatively short in this instance. I'd say the clash will be a real pain for the tv viewer who would like to watch both games but won't affect attendance too badly.

Welcome to GAATipster. Events pertaining to soccerball hold no interest for me. There are a number of Whiskeynose's followers on this forum so beware.
Will you be entering the Championship Tipster competition??

Confidentially, RMD is the top dog here. He has the notebook and the relevant cards in his pocket.
Once you are aware of that, carry on, post your view and while many "may" not agree it's still your opinion... BTW, I don't think ye' have enough for Down...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu May 12, 2011 4:11 pm

I see that the Offaly V Wexford Leinster championship match has been brought forward to a 5pm to to accomodate those who want to watch the champions league final. Ulster seem to be standing firm on their decision for an evening throw-in with Down and Armagh.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down