GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2012 Thread

+29
GAA-Fan
Thomas Clarke
Podger
Parouisa
hipster 2
samin12
OMAR
mugsys_barber
mullins
black&white
SamiPremier08
Real Kerry Fan
Grenvile
Loyal2TheRoyal
rich dublin
RMDrive
Peter Solan the Great
bocerty
Joseff
patrique
Boxtyeater
Larry Murphy
JimWexford
hurlingguru
3inarow08
Jayo Cluxton
Sawyer
clash-of-da-ash
The Puke
33 posters

Page 17 of 29 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 29  Next

Go down

Euro 2012 Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Euro 2012 Thread

Post  Grenvile Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Just looking at the possible groups, some extremely strong 2nd and 3rd seeds. We will need a large slice of luck if we are going to get out of this group!

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Podger wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:Best option. Ukraine,England and Greece.Three weakest in their pots. Worst scenario: Spain,Germany and Portugal.

Wd have Poland before Ukrain e anyday.

Agreed, Ukraine are a decent side with some good footballers, Poland are poor.

It is shaping up to be a very good European Championship, none of the big names have failed to make it and should make for a great month or so's entertainment. I think people are guilty of talking down our side and talking up the respective merits of other sides based on very little. Take Spain, Germany, Holland and Italy out of it and there is very little between the rest of the remaining sides. Russia have a very nice team but lack the consistency of the four named above and are probably ahead of the rest. Other than that I wouldn't fear the other 10 sides and would expect us to be competitive at the very least against them. Having seen the likes of Portugal, France and England on a few occasions in this qualifying campaign all three are far poorer sides than what they were 5 years ago
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:12 pm

I would have no great fear of Italy Puke. Don't think they are the strong international team they used to be. I would not like to face Croatia. They are a very good side technically.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Parouisa wrote:I would have no great fear of Italy Puke. Don't think they are the strong international team they used to be. I would not like to face Croatia. They are a very good side technically.

Italy under Prandelli are a far better side than the one we faced in Qualifying for the 2010 WC and are playing some very nice inventive football. In the likes of Abate, Balotelli, Giovinco, Ranocchia they have some very good players coming through who will make a big contribution added to the experience of Buffon, Pirlo, Di Rossi, Chiellini etc. They are a far better balanced side that Croatia who are far too reliant on the likes of Srna and Modric to create and lack an out and out goalscorer. Greece supposedly completely outplayed them in Athens last month.

Write Italy off at your peril, they are building nicely
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Either of the home nations. England. And sweden for the birds.

Is anybody going to go? Interrailing ticket booked. Cannot wait.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:36 pm

[quote="The Puke"]
Parouisa wrote:Srna and Modric to create and lack an out and out goalscorer. Greece supposedly completely outplayed them in Athens last month.

Any side that can win 3-0 in a play-off situation in Turkey cannot be taken lightly.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:40 pm

[quote="Parouisa"]
The Puke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Srna and Modric to create and lack an out and out goalscorer. Greece supposedly completely outplayed them in Athens last month.

Any side that can win 3-0 in a play-off situation in Turkey cannot be taken lightly.

Maybe not, but I certainly would fancy our chances of getting a result against them than I would Italy.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Trapattoni has done a fabulous job in steering this side to the finals. I'm also impressed that he is now targetting outright victory, but what else would you expect from a winner.

With probably the least technically gifted squad of any of the 16 sides at his disposal, he will do extremely well to get them out of any group they find themselves in. Still, they said that about Greece in 2004...

Credit where it is due, and the manager is due most of it for taking the very limited resources at hand, and moulding them into an organised and effective unit.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Parouisa wrote: Any side that can win 3-0 in a play-off situation in Turkey cannot be taken lightly.

The one caveat I would add to that, is my belief that Turkish footballers have much in common with Pakistani cricketers. For such a talented bunch, there have been some very strange results in recent years.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Trapattoni has done a fabulous job in steering this side to the finals. I'm also impressed that he is now targetting outright victory, but what else would you expect from a winner.

With probably the least technically gifted squad of any of the 16 sides at his disposal, he will do extremely well to get them out of any group they find themselves in. Still, they said that about Greece in 2004...

Credit where it is due, and the manager is due most of it for taking the very limited resources at hand, and moulding them into an organised and effective unit.

Regardless of the draw it is hard to see us emerging from whatever group we are drawn in but we will be competitve, given how we are set up we won't give away much and will be a tough opposition for any side. We will certainly give a good account of ourselves
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:57 pm

If I was to wish for one player to appear from somewhere between now and June it would be a creative central midfielder. This is the key area where I feel we are lacking most.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:36 pm

OMAR wrote:Bets being hedged

Flights booked to Berlin €150 - camper van hired €1200 for 10 days
We will cross the Polish border from Germany which I don't think has been done before. Twisted Evil
If we end up in the Group thats in the far side of Ukraine- attendance at any of the soccerball may be an afterthought

Tough draw for Ireland but more importantly - Very favourable bounce of the ball for Omar and entourage of five - landing in Berlin on the 8th returning on the 16th - Six berth camper van booked.
a night in Berlin - onwards to Poznan for the 9th - road trip to Gdansk and at present a bail out before Italy (pardon the pun ). Not optimistic on getting six tickets but at at least we will get within five miles of the soccerball.
It was getting tough to explain why we were spending 10 days in germany/Poland if Ireland were based
on the russian border.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32 pm

[quote="OMAR"] Not optimistic on getting six tickets but at at least we will get within five miles of the soccerball.
It was getting tough to explain why we were spending 10 days in germany/Poland if Ireland were based
on the russian border.

The depressed mood of the population is tidily encompassed in this pessimistic view from the normally intrepid OMAR.
A scion of the heady days of the Celtic tiger, a man who has golfed with heads of state, played 25's with billionaires and quaffed fine wines with hedonistic bankers and developers, now doubts if he can get a few lousy tickets for a soccerball competition....

We're fooked....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:03 am

In the immortal words of Rashers Tuohy - we will be lucky to come fourth ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:21 pm

[quote="Boxtyeater"]
OMAR wrote: Not optimistic on getting six tickets but at at least we will get within five miles of the soccerball.
on the russian border.

The depressed mood of the population is tidily encompassed in this pessimistic view from the normally intrepid OMAR.
A scion of the heady days of the Celtic tiger, a man who has golfed with heads of state, played 25's with billionaires and quaffed fine wines with hedonistic bankers and developers, now doubts if he can get a few lousy tickets for a soccerball competition....

We're fooked....

Indeed - Once upon a time flew by Private Falcon Jet and had the run of the executive floor in the hotel used for the qualifier draw. Now can't even getting a room in June as a paying guest.
Anyway too busy just washed the car and know I'm off to Aldi to get the shopping. going to knock up some Shepherds pie, Tuna Pasta bake, Spag Bol etc. - Interesting fact - you can feed a family of five for a month for the price of a bottle of Louis Roderer.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Great draw. I'd rather watch us going out against Spain and Italy than against Greece and Poland. Don't think I'm going to make it out there but it's a good draw for the travelling fans and the team, less travelling than had we been in the Ukraine.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:38 am

I suppose it was better to get the bit of luck in the qualifier draw! Like its better to get Croatia now than last month which may have meant we wouldn't even have been in the draw.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:03 am

Spain - A couple of good attacking options in Silva and Mata, and Xabi Alonso in the centre of midfield but other than that Ireland have an edge on them.

Italy - Beatable but in Balotelli, they possess one of the world's best players. Fascinating to see how he copes with Richard Dunne.

Craotia - Average. Luke Modric is good but he'll have his work cut out to handle Whelan and Andrews.

1st - Italy, 2nd - Ireland, 3rd - Croatia, 4th - Spain.

Group B looks the toughest group though. The West Germany and Holland rivalry re-ignited but ironic that it's the Germans who possess the class and the flair this time round, whereas the Dutvh will be relying on the likes of De Jong, Van Bommel and De Zeeuw to butcher the opposition. I fancy Portugal to cause an upset and one of the big two to crash at the Group stages.

Russia should win Group A but the runner's up spot is a lot tougher to predict.

England and maybe France from Group D. Home advantage give Ukraine a chance.

Quarter - Final predictions:

Russia -vs- Portugal

Italy -vs- France

Germany -vs- Poland

England -vs- Ireland

Semi - Final predictions:

Portugal -vs- Germany

England -vs- France

Final prediction:

Germany -vs- England

Winner prediction:

England on penalties.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry Loyal I read recently that the home grown cannabis causes serious problems to the old head. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Return flights to Warsaw booked

Two nights in Poznan booked

Two nights in Torun booked

Two nights booked in Gdansk

One night booked in Warsaw

Tickets booked for the Croatia match (still hopeful of getting tickets for the Spain match)

And I have change out of €700. God Bless the Internet and all who sail in her

The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Beyjasus Pukey, you're staking a lot on that cocker spaniel bitch. I'd say that there's 3 dog pups gone to fund this jolly.
She'd better not have a litter of bitches that's for sure.

You could have brought the bit of fluff to Lanzarote for the fortnight with that wedge.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Beyjasus Pukey, you're staking a lot on that cocker spaniel bitch. I'd say that there's 3 dog pups gone to fund this jolly.
She'd better not have a litter of bitches that's for sure.

You could have brought the bit of fluff to Lanzarote for the fortnight with that wedge.

You can't put a price on memories auld stock. I have been to Lanzarote and it is sh1t. A week going wrong in Poland will be the job.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:39 pm

The Puke wrote:You can't put a price on memories auld stock. I have been to Lanzarote and it is sh1t. A week going wrong in Poland will be the job.

Euro 2012 Thread - Page 17 Untitl30
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:05 am

Irish team to be based in Sopot for the Poland adventure. Happened to stay there for several months while doing a bit of work with our Polish bretherrn. Grand old spot. The Bangor (Co. Down) of Poland I'd say. The establishment of choice is the Kinski bar. Birthplace of Klaus Kinski who will be known to all as the black and white dracula. Twas in there that I learned m few words of Polish and where I was first introduced to the Polish classice "Kocham Cię jak Irlandię" which means "I love you like I love Ireland". Tis sure to get an airing or two next year.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 am

The Republic of Ireland will play Bosnia and Herzegovina and Hungary in the warm-up phase before Euro 2012, FAI Chief Executive John Delaney has confirmed.

Ireland will face Bosnia and Herzegovina at Aviva Stadium on 26 May before departing for a week of training at Florence. That period could feature a match against a local team to give fringe players a chance to get some game time before the tournament.

The team will then travel to Hungary for a match on 4 June.
Ireland's first fixture in Euro 2012 is against Croatia in Poznan on 10 June.

Delaney also confirmed that the FAI had made representations to tournament organisers in a bid to secure extra tickets for supporters. The associations expects 20-25,000 Irish supporters to travel.

He said: "I am hopeful that we might get some extra tickets as we get nearer to the Euros. We have made representations. We have got 6,000 tickets per game, they'll all go.

"We are going to try to secure some extra tickets for the supporters because it is in our interest and everybody's interest to get as many Irish people into those three games as possible to encourage the team and get behind the team."

With Ireland set to play Croatia, Italy and defending champions Spain at Euro 2012, not everyone will be convinced by the strength of the opposition for the warm-ups.

Delaney insists that staying within Europe was the right choice, and that Bosnia and Herzegovina are the ideal opposition ahead of the opening match against Croatia on 10 June.

He said: "The Czech Republic have qualified, to be fair. They are one of the 16 teams that are there. There was a rule that you could not played one of the top 16 teams within 30 days of the Euros.

"I don't think they (teams outside Europe) suited. I think it was best to get somebody who will play a similar style of football so we got Bosnia, who are 19th in the world and are very similar to Croatia."

"The manager felt it would be right to play a similar type nation to prepare properly. The first game is a really important game."

An England friendly was mooted but after the draw it became clear that the sides could meet in a quarter-final, and that means the much anticipated friendly will have to wait a little longer.

"We hoped to play them in May but that was something that their manager didn't want to do. There is a possibility that we will play England in the quarter-final if both countries progress. But that will happen sooner rather than later."

The team is already scheduled to play the Czech Republic on 29 February and Delaney said that tickets would be available at low prices for the Czech Republic fixture. Adult stand tickets will be available from €20, while general admission tickets for children are €10.

"We want to continue with the great atmosphere that was there after the Estonia match and during the Estonia match."

"I think everybody is reducing their prices. The GAA have done it, the IRFU have done it and we have donie it. This is a game at the end of February, after Christmas which makes it important because people have spent money during Christmas."

He added: "It is a 'thank you' to a lot of the supporters who have turned up to our matches but also an encouragement to many of the supporters who came to the Estonia game in November and the Armenia game in October to try and keep them coming to our matches to support the team."
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 29 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 29  Next