GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McKenna Cup 2012 Thread

+8
scoopmine
The Puke
Parouisa
Grenvile
bocerty
RMDrive
Thomas Clarke
bald eagle
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

McKenna Cup 2012 Thread Empty McKenna Cup 2012 Thread

Post  bald eagle Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am

Did any of our Ulster posters get to any of the McKenna Cup games at the weekend? I've added the tables after week 1 but not sure if they will upload or not!

McKenna Cup 2012 Thread Mckenn10

The only real shock of the round was Donegal losing to the Poly, wouldn't call Fermanaghs win over Antrim a shock result as we all know Fermanagh have underperformed in the last few years and while not considered one of the "big boys" they certainly are a decent middle of the road team.

Derry struggled past Cavan with the new goalie not impressing by all accounts, but i'd put that down to first game nerves while Brennan seemed more than happy with John McCamleys debut in the middle. I've heard that Paddy Bradley was due to come back this weekend but word from a few mates that know him is that he is trying to put if off for a week or two as there is still an element of fear in him that he may do it again.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

McKenna Cup 2012 Thread Empty Re: McKenna Cup 2012 Thread

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 am

bald eagle wrote:I've heard that Paddy Bradley was due to come back this weekend but word from a few mates that know him is that he is trying to put if off for a week or two as there is still an element of fear in him that he may do it again.

Corrected Wink
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Listened to the UUJ game on Highland and they seemed good value for their win. Their full forward (Hughes? I think) did very well on Neil McGee. Brick Molly the best for Donegal.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Tyrone team fro Sundays game against Antrim
John Devine,
Aidan McCrory,
Conor Clarke,
Dermot Carlin,
Ronan McNamee,
Justin McMahon,
Stephen McNulty,
Aidan Cassidy,
Colm Cavanagh,
Peter Harte,
Peter Hughes,
Ronan McNabb,
Ciaran Gervin,
Niall McKenna,
Ronan O’Neill
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 am

bocerty wrote:Tyrone team fro Sundays game against Antrim
John Devine,
Aidan McCrory,
Conor Clarke,
Dermot Carlin,
Ronan McNamee,
Justin McMahon,
Stephen McNulty,
Aidan Cassidy,
Colm Cavanagh,
Peter Harte,
Peter Hughes,
Ronan McNabb,
Ciaran Gervin,
Niall McKenna,
Ronan O’Neill

Interesting looking side, with only Harte, Colm Cavanagh and Justy McMahon established 1st 15 players from last year. Lot of players with promise on that side, and several will feature heavily for Tyrone in the next year or 2. Whether they will prove good enough to be successful is another matter.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Derry manager John Brennan is insisting that Paddy Bradley should play against UUJ.

Bradley intimated earlier in the week that he might be better off delaying his intercounty return until the start of the national league for fear of a recurrence of his cruciate ligament injury but his manager told RTE last night that he'd prefer if his talismanic attacker grasped the nettle against Jordanstown in Saturday evening's McKenna Cup clash:

"I'm insisting that Paddy plays a part in the game. He will not be starting but I want Paddy to partake for the simple reason that he needs the confidence.

"He needs to get out there and get a good tackle inflicted on him to restore his confidence."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like John Brennan agrees with my assessment of Paddy's inner fortitude in my first reply to this thread. Still, I wouldn't be pleased reading that if I was Bradley, and sounds like the long expected clash between these two is brewing.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 am

Didn't get to see the game at all but there is an excellent analysis on SC1 sports website (like to it on the Global GAA Twitter feed opposite)

Good win for Derry, good to see Bradley being made play for the exact reasons that Brennan said, the longer you are out the harder it is to come back and for a player like Bradley (who a mate of mine refers to as "Ducks Foot" due to the nature of his bravery) this would definately be the case.

Any word from our Cavan and Donegal bretheren on their game? Would like to know both points of view on it.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Good win for Cavan yesterday against Donegal. They were the better team v Derry last week and inexperience cost them the game. Gearoid McKiernan kicked 4 points from play from midfield where himself and Givney dominated as they did against Derry.
Barry Watters (still only 23, played Championship v Armagh in '08 and then didn't play football for a few years) has had 2 excellent games so far and Podge Reilly is doing well at center back. Niall Smith's pace is a real addition to the half forward line. The lads are all in great shape physically and will be wanting to peak for the League when it begins.

Negatives are obviously giving away 2 bad goals yesterday and kicking 14 wides for the second week running. We faced 2 very experimental sides with a team containing 8/9 of our Championship side. But nonetheless a win is a win and the players seem to be happy with how things are going. They were in the gym at 6 this morning so they're very putting in great effort.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Jonsmith wrote:But nonetheless a win is a win and the players seem to be happy with how things are going. They were in the gym at 6 this morning .................

........ having left the resident's bar in the hotel at 5.55am ....... Razz
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Parouisa wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:But nonetheless a win is a win and the players seem to be happy with how things are going. They were in the gym at 6 this morning .................

Rolling Eyes
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 pm

The Puke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Oh .... it's the guy who stalks me around these boards putting up Rolling Eyes

Constructive ..... Rolling Eyes

Oooops - now I'm at it!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Parouisa wrote:

McKenna Cup 2012 Thread Funny-celebrity-pictures-i-see-what-you-did-there

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

why would anyone need to be in the gym at 6am in the morning the day after a game. So Dublin win an All Ireland by training early in the morning and suddenly its the in thing.

All a load of bollox if you ask me, more time spent on the pitch with a ball in the hand is what most players need nowadays, its all gone mad with this strength and conditioning schite.

Theres a lot of coaches/managers out there getting a decent remuneration for their services who arent worth two balls of blue.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

Ah now Boc, in fairness to Val Andrews, he has probably tried and failed with that many different approaches during his career in his senior inter-county, 6am gym sessions are one final roll of the dice!

Val would be better off trying to build bridges with and motivate his most talented player, before Kieran McGeeney gets his paws on him.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Ah now Boc, in fairness to Val Andrews, he has probably tried and failed with that many different approaches during his career in his senior inter-county, 6am gym sessions are one final roll of the dice!

Val would be better off trying to build bridges with and motivate his most talented player, before Kieran McGeeney gets his paws on him.

if he has tried and failed that many times TC its time to put your hands up and say this isnt for me let someone else at it. I know thats easier said than done in Cavan but they are going round and round in circles
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 am

bocerty wrote: if he has tried and failed that many times TC its time to put your hands up and say this isnt for me let someone else at it. I know thats easier said than done in Cavan but they are going round and round in circles

I agree with you totally Boc. I don't rate Andrews at all, and 6am gym sessions aren't likely to change my opinion of him. His nomadic, success-starved journeys put him down there with his countyman Tommy Carr as being among the worst long-standing county managers of recent times.

Ironically, one of Carr's first actions when he managed Cavan was to effectively get rid of their then talisman, Dermot McCabe. Andrew's eschewing of Johnston echos worringly.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Bit harsh there lads. We don't really know why managers jettison players. We are not privy to dressing rooms or attitudes or the possible player politics that go on.

In fariness too are you likely to win much with the likes of Louth or Cavan - no offence intended? You are only as good as the players you have. There are at least 20 county managers that win nothing each year.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Parouisa wrote:Bit harsh there lads. We don't really know why managers jettison players. We are not privy to dressing rooms or attitudes or the possible player politics that go on.

In fariness too are you likely to win much with the likes of Louth or Cavan - no offence intended? You are only as good as the players you have. There are at least 20 county managers that win nothing each year.

Well, Cavan won the Ulster title the year before Andrews first took over. It was a young side that had also made an AI U21 final a couple of years earlier. Tommy Carr also had Dublin and Roscommon, but couldn't deliver even a provincial title with either, despite both those counties winning provincial titles within 12 months of his reign either starting or ending.

They are both very poor managers who are overly-obsessed with fitness and discipline, and what sets them apart from most other poor managers is that they seem to get chance after chance with various counties.

As for jettisoning Johnston, I don't doubt that Jelly is difficult to deal with, but he evidently wants to play inter-county football, and it is a shame that Andrews wasn't able to ensure he would do so with Cavan.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Tommy Carr was a miracle point away from beating Kerry in the QF in Thurles in 2001 - and it was not the greatest Dublin team ever. There are plenty of journeymen managers who are picked up by one county after another despite the lack of success. I wouldn't blame those lads at all. Their CVs are well known and they still land the jobs.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Parouisa wrote:Tommy Carr was a miracle point away from beating Kerry in the QF in Thurles in 2001 - and it was not the greatest Dublin team ever. There are plenty of journeymen managers who are picked up by one county after another despite the lack of success. I wouldn't blame those lads at all. Their CVs are well known and they still land the jobs.

There are few that do the rounds with as little success as those two Jayo. I can't actually think of any others who have had 3 stints and nothing (thus far, in Andrew's case) to show for them.

I don't blame Andrews or Carr either, as they obviously enjoy it, but I do question what either of them bring to a senior county side.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Ah at least give Val this season!! Razz

No but I can think of a good few who come at a much higher premium I would think and who have little or nothing to show. Boxty would be fond of a couple of them! And some even seem to be getting fellas to move house in order to create transfer situations! affraid

I'm sure Carr brought a bit of 'professionalism' to the set-ups but then the players etc have to buy into that.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Parouisa wrote:Ah at least give Val this season!! Razz

No but I can think of a good few who come at a much higher premium I would think and who have little or nothing to show. Boxty would be fond of a couple of them! And some even seem to be getting fellas to move house in order to create transfer situations! affraid

I'm sure Carr brought a bit of 'professionalism' to the set-ups but then the players etc have to buy into that.

In fairness to Moran, at least he won a Connaught title and made an all-Ireland final. He also was an all-ireland winning coach, and a significant influence on that Derry side.

But I take the point about return for investment.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Bit harsh there lads. We don't really know why managers jettison players. We are not privy to dressing rooms or attitudes or the possible player politics that go on.

Well, Cavan won the Ulster title the year before Andrews first took over. It was a young side that had also made an AI U21 final a couple of years earlier. Tommy Carr also had Dublin and Roscommon, but couldn't deliver even a provincial title with either, despite both those counties winning provincial titles within 12 months of his reign either starting or ending.

They are both very poor managers who are overly-obsessed with fitness and discipline, and what sets them apart from most other poor managers is that they seem to get chance after chance with various counties.

As for jettisoning Johnston, I don't doubt that Jelly is difficult to deal with, but he evidently wants to play inter-county football, and it is a shame that Andrews wasn't able to ensure he would do so with Cavan.

In fairness to Val about the Gym sessions, Cavan have looked very physically weak recently. Players unable to contest physically, break a tackle etc. The players are happier and more confident because they feel they are in great shape and more confident because they have never trained this hard in their lives. I realise a few defeats would wipe that out fairly fast but I wouldn't slate Andrews for it.

I'm completely unconvinced by Andrews. Bringing him back in after his lukewarm last stint as manager was a strange decision. Then again what was the alternative? Pay a fortune to Canavan or O'Dwyer? The County Board isn't looking for miracles from Andrews. He is charged with getting the team in good shape, get a happy dressing room (goodbye Seanie), try to get to Div 2 and importantly not demand much in the way of remuneration.
McCabe and Forde are slowly gaining experience (both with decent success so far) and should be stepping into the role in the coming years when it is hoped U21 and Minor talent will have matured enough to make us competitive.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Sunday was the first time iv ever said to my old lad that Cavan looked a big team. The spine of the team was as strong (physically0 as I had ever seen it.

As for gym sessions at 6 in the morning. Years ago the trouble was getting players to train. Im delighted to hear of the commitment the lads are putting in. The young players know there is a standard of work to reach and they are doing it. This can only be good.

As for jelly my question his work ethic has been questioned and his form over the past two years would make me doubt he would make the kildare team. He has been a big fish in a small pond the main man. It remains to be seen if he will adapt. He is Cavans best forward and it was a brave call. I doubt the move will go ahead. Reading the indo today if it was a 10 second phone call then I would disagree with Andrews common manners must be used in regards to players who have served our county. Not just Jelly other players have been dropped or quit due to communication problems. The CB needs to look at this.

It is still only Janurary and I am looking forward to seeing the u21 players stepping up and it seems to be the case the work is bein put in. Attitude, commitment and passion are three things I am looking for in my team. But I will be positive!

Cavan for sam!

scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Mickey Harte has made six changes to the starting line up to play Fermanagh in the final group game of this years McKenna Cup. Michael Murphy replaces Aidan Cassidy in the middle of the park after the big Augher man picked up an injury against Antrim at the weekend.

1 John Devine – Aireagal Chiaráin
2 Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
4 PJ Quinn – Baile na Móna
5 Sean O’Neill – An Droim Mhór
6 Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Dermot Carlin – Coill an Chlochair
8 Michael Murphy – An Gallbhaile
9 Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
10 Peter Hughes – Eiscreach
11 Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
12 Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
13 Tommy McGuigan – Ard Bó
14 Stephen O’Neill – Clann na nGael
15 Jonathan Lafferty – Urnaí

17 Conor Clarke – An Omaigh
18 Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhór
19 Ciaran Gervin – Doire Locháin
20 Damian McCaul – Domhnach Mór
21 Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
22 Stephen McNally – Oileán a’Ghuail
23 Patrick McNiece – Oileán a’Ghuail
24 Stephen McNulty – Cluain Eo
25 Ronan O’Neill – An Omaigh

bit strange to see Peter Harte selected at number 6 given the fact he played a pivotal role in Sundays win playing on the half forward line. Not sure if McCarron at FB can contain big Quigley and we dont even have big Justy on the bench as backup!!!!! Guaranteed to be a bumper crowd given the Canavan factor.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next