GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread.

+7
Loyal2TheRoyal
emmetryan
hurlingguru
Thomas Clarke
SamiPremier08
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread. Empty Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread.

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm

This is the official hurling final thread. Forget about spurious attempts at motivational interventions/poor mouthing/teasing Mossbags.

All opinions to be addressed here. The hurling final deserves it's proper place on this forum. Ahead of American burger-ball in fact.

My support will of course be with the Tribesmen, in fact I shall be adjusting my avatar to that effect in short. Galway have it all to do.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread. Empty Re: Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread.

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:This is the official hurling final thread. Forget about spurious attempts at motivational interventions/poor mouthing/teasing Mossbags.

All opinions to be addressed here. The hurling final deserves it's proper place on this forum. Ahead of American burger-ball in fact.

My support will of course be with the Tribesmen, in fact I shall be adjusting my avatar to that effect in short. Galway have it all to do.

This final could be the official birth of a superstar ie. Joe Canning. I expect Joe to have a classic and who knows? cheers
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread. Empty Re: Galway V Kilkenny A/I Final 2012...Official thread.

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
This final could be the official birth of a superstar ie. Joe Canning. I expect Joe to have a classic and who knows? cheers

JJ Delaney is no mug of an improvised full back and has seen off the best of pretenders, although Joe will be different. How Tyrell Exclamation copes with Damian Hayes, or whether Murphy goes with him will be interesting.

As a matter of opinion, the last Final day I saw all 15 firing on all cylinders was the day Donegal beat Dublin in football in 1992.
Galway's 15 will need to replicate this and add 2 "magic twists"....(Both from Joe)...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am

I'd love Galway to win this, but can't really see past Kilkenny at the moment.

Anyone know any decent places in Edinburgh to watch it?
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Boxtyeater wrote: As a matter of opinion, the last Final day I saw all 15 firing on all cylinders was the day Donegal beat Dublin in football in 1992...

I'll endorse it as a matter of fact, having long held the same view myself.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote: As a matter of opinion, the last Final day I saw all 15 firing on all cylinders was the day Donegal beat Dublin in football in 1992...

I'll endorse it as a matter of fact, having long held the same view myself.

2008 All Ireland Hurling Final? I fancy Tyrell to pick up Joe Canning. Heading up hoping for a Cats victory cheers

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 am

I have a preview on th Hurling 7s taking place on the eve of the final here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:19 pm

I give Galway a fighting chance - I hope they do it. They're a good bunch and I like Mossbags.

It'll be a war though. The early exchanges will be frantic and I suspect we'll see men out in Croke Park more fired up than Colin Lynch in a Munster Final.

Often though, a player like Joe Canning is the difference, and I think Joe will roll back the years tomorrow.

Come on Galway.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I give Galway a fighting chance - I hope they do it. They're a good bunch and I like Mossbags.

It'll be a war though. The early exchanges will be frantic and I suspect we'll see men out in Croke Park more fired up than Colin Lynch in a Munster Final.

Often though, a player like Joe Canning is the difference, and I think Joe will roll back the years tomorrow.

Come on Galway.

Cats 2/1 with7 hcap
Thats where my money is going along with
JJ 16/1 for motm

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 pm

What a final. Great composure by Joe to knock that last free over after a very poor second half. Cody classy as ever towards the end.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Great game. Marvellous match. Fantastic finish. Draw a fair result.

Draws all round. Minor draw. Senior draw. Joe and Henry level on scores.

That will live long in the memory. The next 3 weeks will feel like an eternity waiting for the replay.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

great game,fair result. Thank God the summer is extended. Feel great for Joe landing the leveler as his previous miss would be remembered more than his display. Hope the football is a draw also to keep us going into October. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 pm

was an enthralling game alright and a draw was probably the fairest result, though sport isnt always fair. Galway had a poor second half. The 3 frees Killkenny landed before half time i think had they gone in 8 down it could have been all over.

Galway retreated somewhat into their shell and seemed content to try and protect the lead without ever really threatening to score. How many times did we see the Galway defence drive a ball up field only to find 1 Galway man surrounded by several Kilkenny backs and no chance of winning the ball, it was a daft tactic and one they persisted with for long enough.

I though Shefflin should have went for the goal with his penalty - at that stage of the game it would have been a winner - something tells me he will live to regret it.

Fair play to Galway i though Kilkenny would try and blow them away in first 10-15 minutes but Galway were ready for them and more than a match for them. The Cats were badly lacking any real goal threat though and that could the difference the next day too.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Contrary to many opinions, I think this was a poor final. The quality of striking was at times abysmal. Both sides were guilty of it, Kilkenny moreso in the opening 30 minutes. In the 5 mins. to h/t Shefflin knocked over 3 frees which ultimately saved the Cats bacon.
Had they turned 8 down their already wafer-thin self-belief would have been shredded by a couple of early points and they'd have folded.
They live to fight another day, largely due to the efforts of Shefflin. He was assisted, to varying degrees, by Brian Hogan (benefiting from aimless clearances in the 2nd.half) the ever consistent Murphy and fleetingly Reid. The rest were shadows of previous years.

Galway threw yesterdays game away but will still win it. Some bad errors in delivery after h/t and a sense of "drive it ta' fook" allowed Kilkenny pressurise them when cleverer low ball forward would have opened a creaking KK backline. Tannian was immense, as was Coen, Moore and Canning when given the proper supply. They will need to find a forward or two to replace young Regan who isn't up to it. The man to slot in here is, strangely enough, Joe Gantley. Gantley is a big strong bugger with a bit of hurling to him. I'd also consider starting Joseph Cooney ahead of David Burke the next day.

Barry Kelly got 8/10 from me. He failed to call 2 thrown hurls as goal shots rained in.
Anthony Cunningham gets 8/10 as well. Not a lot more he could do, the lads done their best and he had f/all on the bench.
Brian Cody gets 4/10. The late Paddy Grace was clearly the last mention of the word grace or gracious Noreside.

It's been said here before, Kilkenny are in decline. The slope looks a lot steeper after this.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

A very interesting game and a replay to look forward to. I am with Boxty in a way in agreeing that the quality was down - probably due to the intensity. After 20 minutes the Cats had about 7 wides - they had two in the whole of the 2008 Final!

I expected the first 10 to be skin and hair flying but it wasn't. Galway dictated for most of the first half in much the same way as the Leinster Final - but without hitting the big score they did. A misfiring Kilkenny were given a lifeline with the last few scores of the half and slowly took control of the 2nd with Hogan coming to the fore in defence and Shefflin literally grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

Tannian, Moore and Smith were big players for Galway with Reid and Walsh, Murphy, Tyrrell and Hogan good in the second half. But it really was the Henry and Joe show tbh. It looks to me like the Cats have the most scope to improve but I wouldn't be putting big money on any of them in the replay.

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 am

Parouisa wrote:A very interesting game and a replay to look forward to. I am with Boxty in a way in agreeing that the quality was down - probably due to the intensity. After 20 minutes the Cats had about 7 wides - they had two in the whole of the 2008 Final!

I expected the first 10 to be skin and hair flying but it wasn't. Galway dictated for most of the first half in much the same way as the Leinster Final - but without hitting the big score they did. A misfiring Kilkenny were given a lifeline with the last few scores of the half and slowly took control of the 2nd with Hogan coming to the fore in defence and Shefflin literally grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

Tannian, Moore and Smith were big players for Galway with Reid and Walsh, Murphy, Tyrrell and Hogan good in the second half. But it really was the Henry and Joe show tbh. It looks to me like the Cats have the most scope to improve but I wouldn't be putting big money on any of them in the replay.

Suspect

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 am

Parouisa wrote:Tannian, Moore and Smith were big players for Galway with Reid and Walsh, Murphy, Tyrrell and Hogan good in the second half.

From the Boxty scorecard over the 75 mins.
Tannian 9.
Moore 8.
Smith 6.
Randomer 7.....Total 30.

Reid 7.
Murphy 8.
Tyrrell 5.
Hogan 6....Total 26.

Tyrell and Tommy were stone fooking useless, driving aimless ball forward rather than be hooked/hunted down/robbed....

Kilkenny are sliding and fast. Only the Great Man's desire for immortality with a virtuoso performance kept them in it..

Cody's reliance on the bench was palpable, even the perennial John Mulhall didn't get a game....That says it all...1 sub.....Screwed....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Tannian, Moore and Smith were big players for Galway with Reid and Walsh, Murphy, Tyrrell and Hogan good in the second half.

From the Boxty scorecard over the 75 mins.
Tannian 9.
Moore 8.
Smith 6.
Randomer 7.....Total 30.

Reid 7.
Murphy 8.
Tyrrell 5.
Hogan 6....Total 26.

Tyrell and Tommy were stone fooking useless, driving aimless ball forward rather than be hooked/hunted down/robbed....

Kilkenny are sliding and fast. Only the Great Man's desire for immortality with a virtuoso performance kept them in it..

Cody's reliance on the bench was palpable, even the perennial John Mulhall didn't get a game....That says it all...1 sub.....Screwed....

Might have something to do with John Mulhall being dropped months ago.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Rumours from Noreside indicate that John Tennyson "will/may/might" be involved on Sunday. Hard to see it happen, but Raging Bull knows that a major re-boot to the system is required.
I'll call either Power or Reid at midfield along with Fennelly, in preference to Buckley. Tommy Walsh possibly dropped in favour of the more physical Richie Doyle perhaps.... Wink

FAO Nordie lads...Hurling Final replay is on Sunday, usual times apply....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm

The beautiful Cerys clearly knows the score here......H'on! Galway.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 am

South Park clearly know the score here ..... H'on! Killedkenny .....

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am

Have heard John Tennyson could start midfield and Richie Doyle has been told to stay away from college for the past week. Interesting!

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:57 am

hurlingguru wrote:Have heard John Tennyson could start midfield and Richie Doyle has been told to stay away from college for the past week. Interesting!

that happened Boxty in his day but it was for totally different reasons.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 pm

just been offered 2 tickets to this game, as luck would have it i am away all weekend to Sligo on another cycling jolly and cant avail of this most unexpected and generous offer.

Typical fooking bad luck
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Thats a pity cos you're unlikely to be in Croker for a good few years. Mind you, you wouldn't have had a clue what was going on ....... Laughing
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next