GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread

+2
mid-mon man
mossbags
6 posters

Go down

The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread Empty The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 pm

1. PJ Ryan
2. David Herity
3. James McGarry
4. Donnacha Cody
5. Jackie Tyrell
6. Michael Kavanagh
7. Canice Hickey
8. Sean Cummins
9. John Dalton
10. Paddy Hogan
11. Brian Hogan
12. Noel Hickey
13. John Tennyson
14. Tommy Walsh
15. PJ Delaney
16. JJ Delaney
17. Richie Mullaly
18. James Ryall
19. Michael Rice
20. Derek Lyng
21. James Cha Fitzpatrick
22. Michael Fennelly
23. Damien Fogarty
24. Eoin Reid
25. TJ Reid
26. Henry Sheflin
27. Eoin McCormack
28. Eddie Brennan
29. Martin Comerford
30. Aidan Fogarty
31. Richie Hogan
32. Richie Power
33. Willie O'Dwyer
34. Eoin Larkin
35. Michael Grace
36. Colin Fennelly
37. Paddy Reid
38. John Hone
39. Mark Phelan
40. Pat Hartley

As a collective group, these are the greatest set of hurlers ever assembled within a single county. It is unbelievable the talent they have and in any other county, a lot of Kilkenny heads will tell you there are another 20 players up to the standard.

Please all sign in with your appreciation of these great players. They are making history all the time.

And another thing, I don't envy Brian Cody trying to pick a starting 15 from the above or even trying to pick a panel of 30.

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread

Post  mossbags Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Shouldn't we set up a similar appreciation thread then to acknowledge the Kilkenny footballers who, as a collective group are proving themselves to be the most useless football team ever assembled.
Seems unfair to leave them out
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Official Kilkenny Hurlers Appreciation Thread

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:04 pm

If you can name 40 useless Kilkenny footballers, then feel free to.

Also there seems to be a negative tone to your post, mossbags? I hope you appreciate the Cats' success?

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Not negative there at all dearest Loyal, was just pointing out the contrasting levels of competence when you look at both codes in Kilkenny. I'd say the stats would back that up.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm

Yeah, well I'd agree with that, to be fair.

Kilkenny have totally abandoned football it seems. That - obviously - is not a good thing.

But what they lack with a Gaelic Football, they make up for a million times over with the small ball.

Its unbelievable what they are doing at the minute. What else can you do apart from heap praise upon Brian Cody and his players?

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:18 pm

The faults of the footballers are nothing to do with the hurlers. The county board and those in charge, yes, but you can't let that take away from the achievements and sheer class of the hurlers, an incredible group of players.

Last edited by mid-mon man on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Totally agree. Their 1/2 for the 4in a row and to be honest its not often you can say 1/2 looks a steal but on all known evidence it is this time. Great great team.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:47 pm

The kilkenny hurling team are really something to behold-a force to be reckoned with. Words fail to describe how successful they are-truly unbelievable. If only we could say the same about their footballers......... Rolling Eyes But that shouldnt take away from the success kilkenny have achieved-startling!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:12 pm

mossbags wrote:Shouldn't we set up a similar appreciation thread then to acknowledge the Kilkenny footballers who, as a collective group are proving themselves to be the most useless football team ever assembled.
Seems unfair to leave them out

Laughing Laughing

Its all about Sacrafice!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Kilkenny really are the cream aren't they and they seem to be respected in the whole of Ireland especially compared to Kerry their footballing counterparts who alot of people seem to have 'beef' with so to speak.

As much as it is great to be around to witness the feats of this Kilkenny team, its also sad for hurling that it has become a monopoly, we need a hurling team in the form of Tyrone in football to revolutionalise the Hurling championship!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Kilkenny are only as good as their last match.

Mossbags rightly says that they are value at 1/2 for the All-Ireland but it wouldn't be an impossibility that Tipp, Galway, Cork or Waterford could topple them.

My wish would be to see Cork win it simply because of the stupid attitude around the country now. And they were missing 6 or 7 lads the other day. Kilkenny can pick 15 from any of about 35 whereas Cork can probably only pick 15 from about 15. But the twins, Naughton, O'Neill, Gardiner, two Ronans (Neil and Curran) and Donal Og would all be as good as any Cats hurler.

Tipp would be the team percived to be closest to Kilkenny. In Shane McGrath and Seamus Callinan, they have two of the best young talent in the country and an Eoin Kelly back to his best would see Tipp go along way. Waterford, I think beat them last year for hunger and ambition but you'd have to say The Premier men would have the more talented players.

Then again, you couldn't rule out the Deise with Davy Fitz in charge. And Galway aren't too far behind either and the Leinster Championship will help them.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:48 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Kilkenny are only as good as their last match.

Mossbags rightly says that they are value at 1/2 for the All-Ireland but it wouldn't be an impossibility that Tipp, Galway, Cork or Waterford could topple them.

My wish would be to see Cork win it simply because of the stupid attitude around the country now. And they were missing 6 or 7 lads the other day. Kilkenny can pick 15 from any of about 35 whereas Cork can probably only pick 15 from about 15. But the twins, Naughton, O'Neill, Gardiner, two Ronans (Neil and Curran) and Donal Og would all be as good as any Cats hurler.

Tipp would be the team percived to be closest to Kilkenny. In Shane McGrath and Seamus Callinan, they have two of the best young talent in the country and an Eoin Kelly back to his best would see Tipp go along way. Waterford, I think beat them last year for hunger and ambition but you'd have to say The Premier men would have the more talented players.

Then again, you couldn't rule out the Deise with Davy Fitz in charge. And Galway aren't too far behind either and the Leinster Championship will help them.

On minute its an appreciation thread the next minute your picking holes in them.
Make up your mind royal.
Would agree with some of your points but to think any of those teams are within 20 points of the cats your dreaming. most people ranted about how one sided leinster was but the truth is take the 5 teams from munster throw in Offaly & Wexford and you have 7 on a level about 5/6 levels above that group are the cats unfortunatly.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 pm

It is an appreciation thread but the beauty of sport is that even the very best can go from hero to zero in a game.

In fairness, Tipperary, Cork, Galway and Waterford would all get within twenty poins of Kilkenny but I presume you were just exaggerating to prove your point?

Whatever happens, I feel 2009 could be a famous year for hurling. The cats have set this huge benchmark, if someone can step up to the challenge and beat them, then it will be monumental. And every team have a bit of story behind them. If no-one beats Kilkenny, then 4 in a row and they become sporting immortals.

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:13 pm

In the counties of Munster, in the shadow of the Rock of Cashel and illuminated by the Semple floodlights, a revolution is happening, led by a rebel named Liam Sheedy, a determined band of men in blue and gold are preparing for battle, together with the help of allies in Waterford and Galway, by the men of Limerick, Dublin, Wexford, Clare... (not Cork) they will soon be ready to overthrow the might of Kilkenny and begin a new era in the hurling world.

watch this space.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:27 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:In the counties of Munster, in the shadow of the Rock of Cashel and illuminated by the Semple floodlights, a revolution is happening, led by a rebel named Liam Sheedy, a determined band of men in blue and gold are preparing for battle, together with the help of allies in Waterford and Galway, by the men of Limerick, Dublin, Wexford, Clare... (not Cork) they will soon be ready to overthrow the might of Kilkenny and begin a new era in the hurling world.

watch this space.

here's hoping!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:It is an appreciation thread but the beauty of sport is that even the very best can go from hero to zero in a game.

In fairness, Tipperary, Cork, Galway and Waterford would all get within twenty poins of Kilkenny but I presume you were just exaggerating to prove your point?

Whatever happens, I feel 2009 could be a famous year for hurling. The cats have set this huge benchmark, if someone can step up to the challenge and beat them, then it will be monumental. And every team have a bit of story behind them. If no-one beats Kilkenny, then 4 in a row and they become sporting immortals.

You hit ther nail on the head but will it stop at 4 you can see this squad of players doing a 6 in a row.
Honestly can only see a Joe Canning inspired Galway dethroning them. There is nothing and I mean nothing in Munster to come close to them. The best Munster had to offer last year got beaten by 20 plus.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:51 pm

I'd give Tipp an outside chance.

The problem a lot of managers have when they send a team out against Kilkenny is that the players are in awe of their opposition.

But Liam Sheedy dosen't have that problem. Tipp have a type of swagger and belief about them I think. And if you talk about a Joe Canning inspired Galway, then what about a fit again Eoin Kelly inspired Tipperary. And like I said, in Callinan and McGrath, they have two world class hurlers.

More than likely though, I'm clutching at straws but I think if anyone is to de-throne the Cats, then it will be Tipperary.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:35 pm

[quote="Loyal2TheRoyal"]
Kilkenny have totally abandoned football it seems. That - obviously - is not a good thing.

And what's wrong with it if you are not from Kilkenny?
Evidently the population down there are happy to cheer home their heroes on an almost annual basis, and fair dues to them.
Meanwhile here, where we're no good at either code, we would gladly turn out to welcome home "Ireland's Best Dairy Cow" from the annual show in Virginia.
And you're concerned for Kilkenny footballers. Shocked
Sure football is only for those who cannot hurl. Laughing
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:36 pm

"football is only for those who cannot hurl"

yup Basketball
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:57 pm

I don't think Tipp wanted to get to the League final. They will only be beat up a stick by Kilkenny and thats no good for morale.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:28 pm

The physicality of this KK side should not go un-mentioned.
They do play very close to the edge, in fact its one of their hallmarks. I suppose this is true of a lot of great sides looking back to Clare 90s and the great Galway and Tipp sides of the late 80s. Its also something that is definitly lacking in the current Galway crop although I was happy they went in and defended joe Canning when he was being bear wrestled by Tipps sledgers last Sunday. Hopefully Galway will meet fire with fire this year, they'll need to coming up against the likess of KK.
Tipps attitude last Sunday reminded me of the old depressing adage saying "He'll get no medal sitting in the stand wearing a cast"
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down