GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cavan GG News

+33
Podger
Parouisa
gaamad1996
Royal_Girl2k9
3inarow08
beer baron
drungrebel
Thomas Clarke
gsmithy
OMAR
GAAGenious
GAA-Fan
Armaghgeddon
bocerty
johnnos bulls
Loyal2TheRoyal
mugsys_barber
Sawyer
scoopmine
KerryKatriona
RMDrive
clash-of-da-ash
JimWexford
mossbags
Grenvile
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
mullins
SamiPremier08
bald eagle
mid-mon man
Dougal
Jayo Cluxton
37 posters

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

Cavan GG News - Page 21 Empty Re: Cavan GG News

Post  Grenvile Sun May 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Cavan sneak through by a single point against Fermanagh. Conceded 2 goals, defence looked shaky v Armagh and proved to be weak again today. Tom Hayes as predicted above was our main threat, ably assisted by Ben Kiernan. The Farney men flexing their muscles ominiously in the other quarter final.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun May 26, 2013 9:19 pm

I note Lorcan Mulvey wasvrising green flags for the exiles
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Hey you Cavan dudes......Below in Derrylin there in the evening with "100% Genuine" Wink

There's massive confidence behind the Swampies in the air. Is there something I don't know??
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:38 pm

We beat Fermanagh last year in the qualifiers due to an 8 minute spell in which we scored 3 goals, might never happen again, Fermanagh were the better team for the most of that game. 
This year they beat us in the league in a dogfight similar to what we can expect on Sunday.
The bookies have us favourites because we came through a first day out against a team who came to Breffni and left their togs around their ankles for 70 minutes. Small Cavan crowd expected because of the security measures.

No matter what Paddy says, Fermanagh are favourites.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 am

11/10 for a Red Card.....Stealing money?
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 am

If the referee punishes cynical fouling then I'd be surprised if one or both don't lose a man as the game comes to a close. There has been so much talk about keeping discipline that I feel a straight red is unlikely.

For anyone that feels certain of a Cavan victory, go Cavan half time & full time. If we're going to win the game we'll likely get our noses in front in the first twenty and keep it that way.

I note looking at the odds now, as compared with a few hours ago that Cavan have gone into evens. A few people obviously confident of a Fermanagh victory here. 

Damien Reilly to score over 0.5 points is 5/4... Always a good man to pop up with a score. 
Jack Brady at 8/15 to score over 0.5 points!?!? Good God this is actually buying money, he'll be taking the frees from the left hand side FFS. That is worth a substantial bet even considering the poor odds. Barring an injury early on I'd put the farm on him to get on the scoreboard.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:42 am

Jonsmith wrote:If the referee punishes cynical fouling then I'd be surprised if one or both don't lose a man as the game comes to a close. There has been so much talk about keeping discipline that I feel a straight red is unlikely.

For anyone that feels certain of a Cavan victory, go Cavan half time & full time. If we're going to win the game we'll likely get our noses in front in the first twenty and keep it that way.

I note looking at the odds now, as compared with a few hours ago that Cavan have gone into evens. A few people obviously confident of a Fermanagh victory here. 

Damien Reilly to score over 0.5 points is 5/4... Always a good man to pop up with a score. 
Jack Brady at 8/15 to score over 0.5 points!?!? Good God this is actually buying money, he'll be taking the frees from the left hand side FFS. That is worth a substantial bet even considering the poor odds. Barring an injury early on I'd put the farm on him to get on the scoreboard.

Ya' don't put it down ye'll not pick it up.......Pyramid in NAMA by Tuesday (Ballinanore store drags down Empire)
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:21 pm

JS tipster looking value at 3-0 and reilly on the board
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi guys,

I've put together a tactical analysis piece on Cavan's win over Fermanagh here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Emmet

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 pm

This was poor fare. Monaghan, as pointed out, are hardly shaking in their boots. Jack Brady a big disappointment for me.
The fare was highlighted however by a superb "chip-lift" at pace by Keating who then summarily knocked her over the lath, like at training.

Spillane, mouth and all that he is, is correct about this whole hand-passing malarkey. Cavan funnelled back, provided the bodies (and took  some knocks) but Fermanagh's so called style is un-edifying. They, no moreso than Roscommon, will trouble none only the very weakest in the qualifiers.

Mackey put in some shift. Cavan look comfortable enough with ball in hand and showed admirable appetite for the fray.
Of course Cavan never feared Monaghan and all that.

Pessimistic supporters are all that can stall the Cavan juggernaut at this stage......Wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Jack Brady doesn't look fit to me but this guy is a touch of class, long future in the blue jersey ahead of him Boxty. 

Poor fare but it was no more than the dogfight that was expected. Dunne's point to put us ahead was something else, game in the melting pot, on the wing, outside of the boot, on his weaker foot. Alan Clarke putting in a great performance in defence, his dispossession of Corrigan breaking through at the death was excellent. Mackey was everywhere.

Midfield proving to be a massive worry, David Givney throwing shapes like a county player but lacking the end product. Free taking equally problematic. A few times today Conor "Fran from love hate" Gilsenan was keen to come up to kick a few and was told not to.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm

While the first half was woeful, the 2nd half at least turned into a decent battle.  

I was shocked by how poor Fermanagh were today.  Even in their golden years of 2003-2008, they were always short of forwards, but the current crop are just dreadful.  Unable to win ball, link play and, most importantly, score.  People will start to question Canavan's progress, but I actually think that he has done a good job taking that side to the brink of division 2.  The talent just isn't there.

Cavan, despite the class that they have up front, still look like a small, division 3 side just now.  They'll fancy their chances against Monaghan, and rightly so, but I fear that an Ulster final appearance could prove to be a poisoned chalice.  One thing that did impress me, though, was their tackling and ability to dispossess their opponents.

Still, of the 2 sides, there is little doubt which one has the potential to improve over the next couple of years.  Whatever happens this summer, Cavan's top priority for 2014 must be promotion to division 2 (it's a terrible shame that they didn't manage it this year).  These young lads aren't going to improve playing against the likes of Limerick, Wicklow and Fermanagh.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 am

Hyland is a good manager, I have yet to see him send out a team that weren't fully committed and focused on the job in hand. He has the core of a side that will develop in physicality and experience as they enter their prime in the next 3-4 years, the mentality and dedication seems to be up to scratch. Promotion next year will be number 1 on the agenda. Only Killian Clarke will have U21 commitment so for the first time in a few years we will have the full pick of our best for the League Panel. We were missing Keating for much of the League this year and when you see how important he was to us in the last two games, it goes to show what a loss he was. 

So we look ahead to the Monaghan game, a division 2 side ahead of Cavan in the pecking order, I feel the mentality is better for Cavan going in here though in comparison to today, underdogs with a big prize at stake has a nicer feel about it. We hammered them in Breffni in the league in what was a very ill tempered affair and both sides lost their marquee forwards early on with McManus and Dunne both seeing red. A good day out in Clones in prospect!

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:22 pm

If McKiernan was available and maybe another forward such as Jelly or a young Gerald Pierson, Cavan would be serious contenders for an All-Ireland. As it is, they are only serious contenders for an Ulster.

I thought the RTE pundits went overboard yet again with their criticism. The tackling and dispossessiong was as good as you will see in any game. Eye of the ball, swipe and it was out of Fermanagh's hands and on it's way down towards the Fermanagh goals.

Jonsmith has always had a soft spot for Jack Brady and always been harsh on Givney. McKiernan is another of his favourites. I don't think those type of game suit Givney - the expanses of Croker might play more into his strengths. His delivery into the full-forward for a midfielder is very good. He might be better advised to try and knock the ball down to a colleague rather than pull off a spectacular catch. Brady is very good too.

When you think about it, Cavan have the likes of Mossy Corr, John McCutcheon, Martin Reilly, Kevin Tierney, Killian Brady, James Reilly and Josh Hayes to bring in off the bench. They've lots of options and none of the starting 15 can get too comfortable in their jerseys.

McEnroe must have picked up a knock. Himself, the two Flanagans and Mackey have a tremendous work ethic.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Anthony Forde on the line looks like a lad that could get a nasty knock himself. Jaysus, that level of emotion and exhortation couldn't be good for the B/P..

If I were Terry Hyland I'd have the chief medical officer watching Forde.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Anthony Forde on the line looks like a lad that could get a nasty knock himself. Jaysus, that level of emotion and exhortation couldn't be good for the B/P..

If I were Terry Hyland I'd have the chief medical officer watching Forde.

The producer didn't spare the camera on him anyway.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 pm

I remember a league game Cavan v Armagh several years ago. Stevie mac was setting himself up to take a penalty. Forde nearly birthed a fresian such was the tirade he spouted.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:19 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:If McKiernan was available and maybe another forward such as Jelly or a young Gerald Pierson, Cavan would be serious contenders for an All-Ireland. As it is, they are only serious contenders for an Ulster.

I thought the RTE pundits went overboard yet again with their criticism. The tackling and dispossessiong was as good as you will see in any game. Eye of the ball, swipe and it was out of Fermanagh's hands and on it's way down towards the Fermanagh goals.

Jonsmith has always had a soft spot for Jack Brady and always been harsh on Givney. McKiernan is another of his favourites. I don't think those type of game suit Givney - the expanses of Croker might play more into his strengths. His delivery into the full-forward for a midfielder is very good. He might be better advised to try and knock the ball down to a colleague rather than pull off a spectacular catch. Brady is very good too.

When you think about it, Cavan have the likes of Mossy Corr, John McCutcheon, Martin Reilly, Kevin Tierney, Killian Brady, James Reilly and Josh Hayes to bring in off the bench. They've lots of options and none of the starting 15 can get too comfortable in their jerseys.

McEnroe must have picked up a knock. Himself, the two Flanagans and Mackey have a tremendous work ethic.

Your opening paragraph at least poses an answer to the question I posed on the 8th team thread!

I wouldn't say I have a soft spot for any of the players or that I'm harsh without reason. Both McKiernan and Brady have delivered much more than Givney in a Cavan jersey, and between the two of those Brady has been consistently reliable for Cavan, McKiernan hasn't. Both have delivered much more than Givney however.

I don't know what to make of Givney. At times I think he could be more style that substance. He looks the part, is capable of fantastic fielding and is very athletic. But he is consistently inconsistent, he was excellent against Armagh, we had no other danger at midfield so they bottled him up at kickouts but he hurt them with some good passing to Keating and Dunne (assisted of course by the amount of space available but..) Against Fermanagh he was poor, made a huge fetch at the start that was probably his only one of the game, kicked 2/3 wides and a couple of hit and hope deliveries. Some good driving forward was let down by poor decision making at the end. It was the same in the league, outstanding against Monaghan, wasn't starting by the end of the league.
He has all the attributes to be a quality midfielder but then again so did Nicholas Walsh. Givney, I hope, will achieve much more for us though.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Big double header in Clones this Saturday! Our Minors are at almost 3/1 to beat a rampant Monaghan side. I don't think we have the physicality to win it. Some neat forwards but no powerhouse in the mould of Conor Finnegan who was central to our Ulster Minor Win in 2011. I saw our lads v Armagh and we were awful in defence. A full back who stood of his man time and again and a corner back with no pace. Add in the loss of Greg McGovern and things don't look good. But in Tom Hayes and Ryan Connolly we have two quality forwards and if the game opens up they can hurt Monaghan. 3/1 in a two horse race, at minor level.. Tempting..

As for the Seniors well Hyland is making his mark but Monaghan could prove a step too far. They won't be as wasteful as Fermanagh were. It's certainly not mission impossible though and if we can grab a goal or two I think we have a chance of turning them over, we have been excellent defensively (bar the missed pick up v Armagh which lead to the goal) so if we can get our shooting boots i'd fancy us to hold Monaghan to less than 14 points total. The question is whether we can top that score ourselves.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
...Monaghan could prove a step too far. They won't be as wasteful as Fermanagh were. It's certainly not mission impossible though and if we can grab a goal or two I think we have a chance of turning them over...

I'm beginning to suspect that the Cavan men learnt the art of 'cute hoorism' from their opponents all those years ago in the Polo Grounds. Paddypower has this a notch off even money.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Givney has achieved more in a Cavan jersey than Brady or McKiernan at senior level. You forgot to mention that Givney is probably the strongest character in this team, probably the real leader even though he isn't captain. McKiernan is a huge loss though. It's a real shame he did his cruciate injury.

Looking ahead to Saturday, I don't think Cavan have anything to fear. They have shown the most improvement of any team between 2012 and 2013 and the momentum gained from two successive wins shouldn't be underestimated.

The forwards, Mackey, Keating, Dunne, Reilly have a real fizz about them and are willing to try anything. They haven't exactly been shy about taking on the tough shots. Nobody in that forward line will refuse a scoring chance. That's a good thing - a weakness in weaker teams is hesitating in front of goal. Especially in Ulster games when you don't get sight of the posts for long.

But the important thing is the work ethic. It never let up in either game. Terry will surely have them as well prepared for this game as the past two. Some minor improvement required when they have the ball though, it's important to give the pass at the right time and to make sure and find the intended target.

I would fancy Cavan to edge it. And put it up to Donegal in the final.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Givney has achieved more in a Cavan jersey than Brady or McKiernan at senior level. You forgot to mention that Givney is probably the strongest character in this team, probably the real leader even though he isn't captain. McKiernan is a huge loss though. It's a real shame he did his cruciate injury.

Care to explain this bit? In fact you can explain all of it if you like, when the going got tough in the last 2 games it wasn't Givney that turned things around for us. I'm probably sounding harsh on him, don't get me wrong I think he has amazing ability and he's still very young.

No matter how Paddy sees this I'd have Monaghan relatively strong favourites. We have progressed and Hyland's touch is evident. Hard work, settling quickly into games and really digging in when the opposition starts to gather real momentum. But there are glaring weaknesses in the side, the losses of Corr, McKiernan and now McEnroe has left midfield decimated. We don't have a half decent free taker and we've hardly been shooting the lights out up front.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Best wishes to our neighbours Cavan this evening. Is feidir libh....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm

I am disappointed for Cavan. I thought they were as good as Monaghan but naivety and inexperience certainly didn't help. Maybe a few players saw the morning newspapers before they saw the man in the better position, I don't know, but some sloppy passing and some glory hunting.

Monaghan aren't a bad side. I knew it'd take a good one to beat Cavan. I hope Cavan get a favourable draw on Monday morning.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Ive commented before about cavan forwards past, present and relocated who seem to have a habit of trying hail Marys with the objective of being able to get a fist pump snarling photo shot when 1 in 5 goes over.
Keating with two attempts today from outside 50 at the death when the game was in the balance.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next