GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game?

+7
RMDrive
old98!
mossbags
GAA-Fan
6inarow
Jayo Cluxton
SamiPremier08
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game? Empty would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game?

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:42 pm

kinda would like to watch the match on sunday. unsure if the only irish pub within 40 miles will even show it (website says ,enjoy football, rugby and Gaelic action'???) but would they let me (and a mate) in to watch it? does anyone know the law regarding ages and pubs?
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game? Empty Re: would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game?

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:47 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:kinda would like to watch the match on sunday. unsure if the only irish pub within 40 miles will even show it (website says ,enjoy football, rugby and Gaelic action'???) but would they let me (and a mate) in to watch it? does anyone know the law regarding ages and pubs?

I do. I'll tell you when you update the hurling tipster .......... Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game? Empty Re: would they let me in O'Neills Irish Pub for the game?

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:kinda would like to watch the match on sunday. unsure if the only irish pub within 40 miles will even show it (website says ,enjoy football, rugby and Gaelic action'???) but would they let me (and a mate) in to watch it? does anyone know the law regarding ages and pubs?

I do. I'll tell you when you update the hurling tipster .......... Laughing

just did Jayo.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:09 am

If you were down in Birmingham Sami they'd probably serve you eight pints never mind let you in, I couldn't guarantee the game would be on this year though!

Thinking about it we're not really a big Tipp crowd down here so maybe not Twisted Evil

No, it's a good family atmosphere down here for the finals so all ages are welcome in the bars around Digbeth as long as the kids are with family.

Not that this helps you up in Yorkshire!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 am

You will be allowed in with an adult surely.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:04 am

Where exactly in Engerland are you Sami?
If your in London I can fix it for you no bother.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 am

mossbags wrote:Where exactly in Engerland are you Sami?
If your in London I can fix it for you no bother.

just outside York mossbags - at least 4 hours from London unfortunately . There is one 'Irish pub' in York, O'Neills, which on their website state the following:

"What We Are Famous For: Great food, drink, music blah blah blah and enjoy all the best footballl, rugby and Gaelic action."

Surely if they're gonna say that they'll be able to show the All-Ireland final?!

Although knowing England, they'll probabaly be a premiership game on like Man United vs Wigan or something so they'll go and show that instead.

They let me in at 15 in Germany - even offered to set up a tab for me! But I know things are stricter here - me and some mates got kicked out of a pub in Beverley when we tried to get some lunch in there.

I'm going into York this morning so I'll stick on of my Tipp jerseys on and wander in there and ask them what the scene is.

Have your fingers crossed otherwise yours truly will not be in the best of moods later on!
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:27 am

Ah Sammy - sure if it's like Kilkenny v Munster opposition for the last two years you'll be looking for your coat after 10 minutes ........ Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

If it is an Irish pub they will show GAA, if they have two rooms then it shouldnt be a problem. On top of that not many Sunday premiership games start at half 2! They usually start at 5:15.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:30 am

It is an international weekend with the games on Saturday - don't think England are playing - so there are no Premiership fixtures this week. Can't think of any big sporting event this Sunday which would prevent the hurling being shown.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:43 am

I'd be dubious about an O'Neill's pub if it's a part of the O'Neill's chain of pubs, all bad Guinness and bodhrans hanging from the walls but wouldn't know a hurley if they were hit by one. We had one down here, thankfully it's shut down now. Still if they're advertising GAA it's unlikely to be one of those, I'd give them a call to make sure before you set out.

Did you try the Irish centre in Leeds though? Not too far from York and they're as likely as anywhere to be showing the final. Not sure what you're trains are like up there on Sunday's so it may or may not be an option. Link below for their number, I'd give them a shout too and see what they say.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]leedsirishcentre.co.uk

Good luck, I'd hate to think of someone missing the final, should be a good one this year too, I don't think Kilkenny will hammer your lot until the second half Laughing

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 am

I forgot to say . . .I'm not making any promises but you should be okay getting into the Irish Centre if it's anything like the one in Brum on finals day especially if you've got your shirt on, just stick to the soft drinks and there's little reason for them not to want to let you in would be my opinion. Again maybe run it by them if you call them before hand, just explain your situation, those places are built on the premise of helping the Irish community in Britain, if they don't let you in damn it we'll call the embassy!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks guys.

Went there about an hour ago. It is one of the branches of the O'Neills pub chain I think, they were advertising live soccer at the weekend outside so things did look rather bleak but I marched on in anyway. The place looks homely enough, covered in Guiness posters etc etc like you'd expect. Impressive collection of Irish soccer and rugby shirts (Munster, Leinster, Ulster etc) hung up behind the bar and the 'traditional menu' of steak and Guiness pie, all day breakfast and the lot. Magners, Guinness - the 'Irish soft drinks' menu (consisting of Club orange) made me laugh - and a friendly enough (although totally un-Irish staff). The only GAA related items I saw in there were a Dublin and a Kerry jersey.

Anyhow I asked them if they could show the game (they didn't ask about age, so I didn't tell them) and she went off to check for me. She came back ten minutes later and said they could usually show hurling but "the computer wasn't showing the channel they'd be showing it on yet" (whatever that means). I told her they'd be showing it on RTE:

"We can't get RTE here but we usually get hurling."
"Did you get it on Setanta?" I said.

Turns out they get it on the channel that Setanta is now using?? (I don't know what all this means) but the computer hasn't said which one it is.

I'm to ring later in the week to check but it should be ok. I have high hopes Very Happy.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  old98! Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm

your only 15!!!!
old98!
old98!
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

wexford
Number of posts : 406

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:01 pm

old98! wrote:your only 15!!!!

and...
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  old98! Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:05 pm

had you down as much older sami you have knowledge beyond your years
old98!
old98!
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

wexford
Number of posts : 406

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:07 pm

old98! wrote:had you down as much older sami you have knowledge beyond your years

Very Happy
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:13 pm

does anyone know anymore about how Setanta are working coverage out? It seems that they showed live semi-finals in hurling and football in commercial premises in the UK through Sky Channel 167 (InformationTV or something) but there's nothing in any schedules about showing the hurling final live that way? does anyone know if they are showing the final?
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Did Setanta's involvement with the hurling All Ireland not end when Cork were beaten???? Laughing Laughing

(ps Sorry don't know!)
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Did Setanta's involvement with the hurling All Ireland not end when Cork were beaten???? Laughing Laughing

(ps Sorry don't know!)

this is important Jayo!!
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:22 pm

I've no idea what's happening over here since Setanta went bust, as I've been out of the pub for most of the summer saving for the odd trip down to Newquay and the like. I've basically been doing my best to watch games on the net. I'm going to give a couple of places down here a ring later in the week to see if and how they're showing it as I fancy watching the final on the old big screen, I'll let you know what answer I get.

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Did Setanta's involvement with the hurling All Ireland not end when Cork were beaten???? Laughing Laughing

(ps Sorry don't know!)

Ah memories, I was still a happy hurling fan then filled with promises of September to come . . . . and then came Waterford!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:25 pm

6inarow wrote:I've no idea what's happening over here since Setanta went bust, as I've been out of the pub for most of the summer saving for the odd trip down to Newquay and the like. I've basically been doing my best to watch games on the net. I'm going to give a couple of places down here a ring later in the week to see if and how they're showing it as I fancy watching the final on the old big screen, I'll let you know what answer I get.

Newquay, Co. Clare? Have you ever hit a golf ball over the bay? I've happy memories of Newquay. One of my best mates is from there.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:26 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:

(ps Sorry don't know!)

this is important Jayo!!

Ok ok Embarassed ............. but not to me ...... Laughing

Sunday 1.29pm (Jayo's house)

"Where is that bloody remote?! Ah! There it is!"

Presses 'on' button and number 6.

Click - fizzzzzzzzz. Waft of Heineken arises from freshly opened can. Sinks into a comfy armchair, put feet up and prepares for the latest Cat massacre of the latest Munster lambs to the slaughter - preceded by the Kittens beating the living daylights out of the Tribesboys!

Its a hard life indeed ........... Smile
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:

(ps Sorry don't know!)

this is important Jayo!!

Ok ok Embarassed ............. but not to me ...... Laughing

Sunday 1.29pm (Jayo's house)

"Where is that bloody remote?! Ah! There it is!"

Presses 'on' button and number 6.

Click - fizzzzzzzzz. Waft of Heineken arises from freshly opened can. Sinks into a comfy armchair, put feet up and prepares for the latest Cat massacre of the latest Munster lambs to the slaughter - preceded by the Kittens beating the living daylights out of the Tribesboys!

Its a hard life indeed ........... Smile

can I come?
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next