GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Irish XI last 25 years

5 posters

Go down

Best Irish XI last 25 years Empty Best Irish XI last 25 years

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 am

OK - mine is
Given
Finnan Mc Grath Lawrenson Irwin
Houghton Whelan Keane Brady
Stapleton Keane

Was watching the lads tonight and thinking how many of them would have made Irish teams that I have seen and came up with two - Given and Robbie Keane. I have been a supporter since 1974 - when Don Givens scored a hat trick as we beath Russia 3-0 in Dalyer! I used to be more avid and never missed a game but not now.

So my best XI since 1984 is as above - before Giles and Givens. Shay is definitely number 1 - Packie was great too but Given is better. Centre halves - we had so many greats - no place for legends Moran or O'Leary - or Dunne - best two were Mark Lawrenson (a class act) and Big Paul, an awesome talent. Steve Finnan is the most cultured right full we have had (a nod to Chris Hughton though) and Denis Irwin was the consummate pro.

In midfield I have no place for Townsend who I rate highly but Ronnie and Roy K would have to anchor it with Ray Houghton (scorer of so many vital goals on the right) and the amazing Liam Brady on the left.

Up front I have left out big Niall, Cascarino and Aldo. I am looking for big man-small man here - hence Robbie and Stapo.

Agree? Lets have yours!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Best Irish XI last 25 years Empty Re: Best Irish XI last 25 years

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:53 am

You beat me to it Jayo just posted best Ireland XI 1998-2009. Best Irish XI last 25 years Icon_mad
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:54 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:OK - mine is
Given
Finnan Mc Grath Lawrenson Irwin
Stapleton Keane

Was watching the lads tonight and thinking how many of them would have made Irish teams that I have seen and came up with two - Given and Robbie Keane. I have been a supporter since 1974 - when Don Givens scored a hat trick as we beath Russia 3-0 in Dalyer! I used to be more avid and never missed a game but not now.

So my best XI since 1984 is as above - before Giles and Givens. Shay is definitely number 1 - Packie was great too but Given is better. Centre halves - we had so many greats - no place for legends Moran or O'Leary - or Dunne - best two were Mark Lawrenson (a class act) and Big Paul, an awesome talent. Steve Finnan is the most cultured right full we have had (a nod to Chris Hughton though) and Denis Irwin was the consummate pro.

In midfield I have no place for Townsend who I rate highly but Ronnie and Roy K would have to anchor it with Ray Houghton (scorer of so many vital goals on the right) and the amazing Liam Brady on the left.

Up front I have left out big Niall, Cascarino and Aldo. I am looking for big man-small man here - hence Robbie and Stapo.

Agree? Lets have yours!

I don't think Glen Whelan is that good. Best Irish XI last 25 years Icon_razz
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 am

Ronnie W! Glen was OK tonight but missed a good chance. Be interested to see your XI Clash. Reckon we'd match in 7 or 8?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:05 am

Given

Irwin McGrath Dunne Staunton

Houghton Keane Whelan Sheedy

Quinn Keane
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 am

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Given

Quinn Keane

Jeeze Clash no place for Liam Brady? Wow! Also I think Lawrenson is an irritating pundit but was a superb player. And are you playing two left full backs??? Sheedy I definitely admired - a key part of Everton's great mid 80s team and big Niall was a lot better than people gave him credit for.

We agreed on 7 though!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:21 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Given

Quinn Keane

Jeeze Clash no place for Liam Brady? Wow! Also I think Lawrenson is an irritating pundit but was a superb player. And are you playing two left full backs??? Sheedy I definitely admired - a key part of Everton's great mid 80s team and big Niall was a lot better than people gave him credit for.

We agreed on 7 though!

Well I thought Brady was at his peak in the 70's and early 80's so it was best Ireland team of last 35 years he would definately in the team. I went for Irwin ahead of Finnan and Kelly, Irwin could play right or left and was always solid. I feel you have to have the most capped player Staunton in the team so I moved Irwin to the right back spot.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 am

I'd say the best Ireland team ever would be made up of players mostly from the last 25 years with maybe Giles, Cantwell, Carey and Givens with a chance of claiming a spot.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:42 am

clash-of-da-ash wrote:I'd say the best Ireland team ever would be made up of players mostly from the last 25 years with maybe Giles, Cantwell, Carey and Givens with a chance of claiming a spot.

Agree Clash - I reckon take it from 85 to 99 and you would see possibly the best players ever. Last 10 have been poor and the way the P'ship is going it is not gonna get any better. And not a Dunphy in sight! Best Irish XI last 25 years Icon_rolleyes

ps Honourable mention for Charlie Hurley!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:47 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:I'd say the best Ireland team ever would be made up of players mostly from the last 25 years with maybe Giles, Cantwell, Carey and Givens with a chance of claiming a spot.

Agree Clash - I reckon take it from 85 to 99 and you would see possibly the best players ever. Last 10 have been poor and the way the P'ship is going it is not gonna get any better. And not a Dunphy in sight! Best Irish XI last 25 years Icon_rolleyes

ps Honourable mention for Charlie Hurley!

The under 21's drew with Georgia, what a terrible result. Don Givens was a good player but I think he has been given well enough time to prove himself and I'm afraid he hasn't, maybe new manager and coaching team wouldn't be such a bad idea.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:53 am

U21s is hiding to nothing - even more so now. There is no way you could have 3 Dublin lads gong to Arsenal now and making it big like in the 70s. Even young English lads are being cast aside in favour of foreign imports. We seem to have an excellent structure up to 15/16 year olds but then it gets messed up - but then look at Laois and Westmeath in GAA ...

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:00 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:U21s is hiding to nothing - even more so now. There is no way you could have 3 Duulin lads gong to Arsenal now and making it big like in the 70s. Even young English lads are being cast aside in favour of foreign imports. We seem to have an excellent structure up to 15/16 year olds but then it gets messed up - but then look at Laois and Westmeath in GAA ...

We're starting to see more and more Irish players playing in the Irish League and then going abroad, such as Keith Fahey, Kevin Doyle and Jay O'Shea. Now looks like Deegan and Murphy will also be heading over. The only down point is that they are not playing with the bigger clubs. Keane, Irwin, Finnan and O'Shea are the only players over the last 10 years to be playing with a top four club. I also saw something where it said England had 24 players playing for the top 6 clubs in the last round of fixtures which is low given it is their league.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:17 pm

agree Clash, like the commentator said last night "this is Ireland's big premier league player, he plays for...Wolves".
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:33 pm

i'd go with

Given
Irwin Mc Grath Lawrenson Staunton
Stapleton Quinn

Irwin was equally comfortable left or right and Stan was a decent footballer, i chose Quinn as he was always good for a goal when Ireland needed it most.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:57 am

clash-of-da-ash wrote:I also saw something where it said England had 24 players playing for the top 6 clubs in the last round of fixtures which is low given it is their league.

Yep Clash I saw something like that. The English (Glenn Hoddle especially) are concerned about opportunities for academy 'starlets' and the like - so what chance do our lads have!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:24 am

There couldn't be a "best ever" without luminaries such as Mick Martin, Mulligan, Gerry Daly, Kiely, Sheridan, Dave Langan and Alfie Hale to mention a few better servants. Legendary "writer/analyst" Eamon Dunphy also deserves mention.

Some of these touted are only chancers.... Best Irish XI last 25 years Icon_wink .
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down