GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9/11 - eight years on ....

4 posters

Go down

9/11 - eight years on .... Empty 9/11 - eight years on ....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Hard to believe its eight years since that awful day. I was preparing to go back to work the following day after wedding/honeymoon etc - over 5 weeks off. I was sorting stuff upstairs and had TV on and next thing this stuff started happening - I was rivetted for the rest of the day. Missus had two brothers 45 mins out of Manhattan and one is a reserve firefighter - but wasn't involved - but it was difficult to establish that for a long time.

Visited the scene a little over a year later - eerie kind of feeling there - understandably.

But not a day you'd ever forget.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

9/11 - eight years on .... Empty Re: 9/11 - eight years on ....

Post  JOLearysgloves Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 pm

was in NY 8 days later......mad time to be there. We went down to ground zero....it was genuinely like being in a real life movie....everywhere was covered in dust. 8 Days later! Every night the entire city tuned into CNN to watch live feed from the site of the disaster and like in the movies people in bars were gathering round to watch. It was surreal. I remember when we were leaving JFK a week later the queues to get on any of the Arabian air lines.......
it was so symbolic.
Western Muslims are still feeling the effects of it. People are still distrustful, even against their better judgement. I wsa outside the GPO last Saturday and there was a Muslim Rally on and I have to say, I was suspicious. I am more than a little embarassed to admit it, but i was. Terrible really and i know it.
JOLearysgloves
JOLearysgloves
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Dublin
Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Only talking about it 5 mins ago.
I was down a sewer fitting an efflument monitor that very day about 400 yards from where i'm working now (apt we were decomissioning a factory could be doing it again soon)
always rem a lorry driver came in and told us about it and we thought he had one to many.
Reckon it will be one of those things you'll always rem what you were doing.

Rem bertie closed the pubs that fri nite.
Slayer, panters, sucidal tendencies and Megadeth were meant to play dublin/point that Thursday and the gig was feckin cancelled no-one would fly because what had harppened.
Rem local opened up that Fri nite thought and it was thronged.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:40 pm

I was at school. Thats all I can say really.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down