GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game

+6
bocerty
clash-of-da-ash
black&white
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game Empty Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game

Post  RMDrive Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Michael Duffy was the ref up in Ballybofey and I have to raise a point about his approach this evening. I don't know if it is a regular thing with him, but tonight his bugbear was the handpass. On 5 occasions in the first half he blew up Donegal for "thrown" passes. Now I'm sure you will all agree that the vast majority of handpasses these days don't fall within the strictest definition of the rule, but never the less from one end of the country to the other it is allowed in games. Then all of a sudden you have a ref pulling on it at every opportunity. I guarantee you that if we had any other ref there tonight, it wouldn’t have been a problem.
During the Antrim game, the most important rule was that kick-outs must be taken on or behind the line. On 3 occasions, keepers were made move their tee’s back. Whereas tonight I saw the Carlow keeper take his kick outs about 3 yards outside the line!
If rules like these are important then they should be policed in the same way at every game by every ref. It’s crazy to think that from one game to the next players don’t know which rules will be enforced and which won’t.

This is a small point but it’s another example of the shoddiness of the GAA’s rule book and enforcement regime.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game Empty Re: Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:16 am

RMD - if only we could clone Pat McEneaney! He is the only ref at the moment - and this has been the case for too long now. Even the guys that have been around for ages are liable to cause controversy - Collins etc. Mind you its a hard job. Maybe DBPC will be the next 'great' ......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game Empty Re: Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:40 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Maybe DBPC will be the next 'great' ......

Wha! He is........*ool

*pick from f or t.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Maybe DBPC will be the next 'great' ......

Wha! He is........*ool

*pick from f or t.

Personally, I thought the Ref (S. Hickey) had a great game in Parkee Ui Ceeve...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm not really getting at the general standard of refs. It's more about the "minor" rules (if you know what I mean) that are not implemented on a constant basis. IMO if there is a rule then it should be implemented 100% of the time. But the reality is that some rules are only policed on certain occasions. Wasn't there the Munster U21 hurling championship game recently that was decided on one of these type of rules. The Clare folks were rightly pissed off on that occasion.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:27 pm

RMDrive wrote:Michael Duffy was the ref up in Ballybofey and I have to raise a point about his approach this evening. I don't know if it is a regular thing with him, but tonight his bugbear was the handpass. On 5 occasions in the first half he blew up Donegal for "thrown" passes. Now I'm sure you will all agree that the vast majority of handpasses these days don't fall within the strictest definition of the rule, but never the less from one end of the country to the other it is allowed in games. Then all of a sudden you have a ref pulling on it at every opportunity. I guarantee you that if we had any other ref there tonight, it wouldn’t have been a problem.
During the Antrim game, the most important rule was that kick-outs must be taken on or behind the line. On 3 occasions, keepers were made move their tee’s back. Whereas tonight I saw the Carlow keeper take his kick outs about 3 yards outside the line!
If rules like these are important then they should be policed in the same way at every game by every ref. It’s crazy to think that from one game to the next players don’t know which rules will be enforced and which won’t.

This is a small point but it’s another example of the shoddiness of the GAA’s rule book and enforcement regime.

Michael's always been a fussy pr**k. He's a similar level to the brother Marty, and can be very good or very bad, depending on his mood.

Ask Rich about Michael, his club had a fairly big run-in with him a year or too ago jerry
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:30 pm

In most other things he was ok. He gave yellows where they were deserved and kept pace with the game fairly well. He must have been reviewing that page of the rule book on Friday night I guess!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 pm

RMDrive wrote:I'm not really getting at the general standard of refs. It's more about the "minor" rules (if you know what I mean) that are not implemented on a constant basis. IMO if there is a rule then it should be implemented 100% of the time. But the reality is that some rules are only policed on certain occasions. Wasn't there the Munster U21 hurling championship game recently that was decided on one of these type of rules. The Clare folks were rightly pissed off on that occasion.

Thats right the rule where you cannot strike the sliotar outside the square. Result 65. I just noticed in the Dublin vs Kilkenny match for the first goal it looked like Richie Power threw the ball out to Comerford.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:07 am

clash-of-da-ash wrote:
RMDrive wrote:I'm not really getting at the general standard of refs. It's more about the "minor" rules (if you know what I mean) that are not implemented on a constant basis. IMO if there is a rule then it should be implemented 100% of the time. But the reality is that some rules are only policed on certain occasions. Wasn't there the Munster U21 hurling championship game recently that was decided on one of these type of rules. The Clare folks were rightly pissed off on that occasion.

Thats right the rule where you cannot strike the sliotar outside the square. Result 65. I just noticed in the Dublin vs Kilkenny match for the first goal it looked like Richie Power threw the ball out to Comerford.

clash virtually every handpass i see in hurling these days is a throw - there is no movement to throw the ball up and strike it with the hand it all appears to be done in the one motion which is a throw in my book and Kilkenny are the masters of it too..........
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:15 am

Kilkenny are the masters at a lot of things, the skills in hurling being one of them. If a Kilkenny player can't handpass, then Cody wouldn't have him on his panel. Its all done in such a swift movement, executed in the blink of an eye like a magician does his tricks, they do it so fast Bocerty that you can't see them do it.

Back to top Go down

Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game Empty Lack of refereeing consistency from game to game

Post  Rupp Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:30 am

i personaly dont kno how sligo have so many inter county refs when the state of our matchs are terrible we have to have the least consistant refs in the country they dont have a clue, now do respect what there doing but someone have to police these refeeres balck and white would agree wit me on this. Michael is a t***er shudnt b let near a pitch
Rupp
Rupp
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Sligo
Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 pm

both marty and michael should not be refs the problem with them is they actually think the game is about them, and how much of the limelight they can get, you look at really top refs, you dont notice them at all in fact if it is a really good ref you have to look to see where he is because he goes thriough the game without any fuss, those duffy idiots are different you know they are refin a game because they will give yellow and red cards just to prove they are the man they are the worst thing ever to come out of sligo and i wish to god they would be stripped or there right to ref!!!
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  Rupp Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 pm

rich dublin wrote:both marty and michael should not be refs the problem with them is they actually think the game is about them, and how much of the limelight they can get, you look at really top refs, you dont notice them at all in fact if it is a really good ref you have to look to see where he is because he goes thriough the game without any fuss, those duffy idiots are different you know they are refin a game because they will give yellow and red cards just to prove they are the man they are the worst thing ever to come out of sligo and i wish to god they would be stripped or there right to ref!!!

here here
Rupp
Rupp
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Fully agree. The standard of refereeing in Sligo is disgraceful. There's only two or three decent refs in the entire county, and the Duffy's wouldn't be classed as anything near good.
The two of them have a dictatorial attitude that only serves to wind players up. It's a pity, becasue there are a lot of worse refs in the county (Whitey Walsh springs to mind), but the attitude that comes with the Duffy's makes them by far the most hated
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 pm

We have to get in touch with the world's best genetic scientists and arrange to get Pat McEneaney cloned - its the only answer .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Whenever the referee throws the ball in, there are usually players standing within 3m which results in a big schmozzle.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

It bugs me that neither of the referees involved in Kilkennys games to date have sent Tommy Walsh off.
He is the, dare I say it, Ricey of hurling Very Happy
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Shinners wrote:It bugs me that neither of the referees involved in Kilkennys games to date have sent Tommy Walsh off.
He is the, dare I say it, Ricey of hurling Very Happy

Shinners my dear is crap reading to much media S**t.
Granted he can be a toerag but don't think he deserved sending off.
Anything he seems to do is grossly over reacted to like Mr Rice and Galvin etc, those boys are entitled to yellows before the get the ole dreaded red
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 pm

I have been at both Kilkenny games this year. Walsh was on a yellow card against Galway and then hauls a fella to the ground and nothing happens. In second half, a Galway player (whos name escapes me) hauled his player down in the exact same way and he gets a yellow card.

Then against Dublin, he wasn't content with whacking one of the Dublin lads (Flynn I think) on the arm but he whacks him on the ribs as well for good measure having already been booked earlier in the game.

Now I don't like referees dishing out red cards for the sake of it but if you commit two yellow card offences then you get your red card simple as. That should apply no matter what team you play for and what code you play.
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Shinners wrote:I have been at both Kilkenny games this year. Walsh was on a yellow card against Galway and then hauls a fella to the ground and nothing happens. In second half, a Galway player (whos name escapes me) hauled his player down in the exact same way and he gets a yellow card.

Then against Dublin, he wasn't content with whacking one of the Dublin lads (Flynn I think) on the arm but he whacks him on the ribs as well for good measure having already been booked earlier in the game.

Now I don't like referees dishing out red cards for the sake of it but if you commit two yellow card offences then you get your red card simple as. That should apply no matter what team you play for and what code you play.
And when it is applied there is uproar prime example Wex v Tipp all ireland semi Liam dunne and Brian O Meara. Think the year was 2001 could be wrong
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Rupp Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 pm

I thought the ref in the kerry v longford match was very bad. I thought refs are pulling players on pushing in the back!! But all i could see was lads using eachother as bars to perch eachother up. Was he the same ref that feckd nuig over for the last 2 years???
Rupp
Rupp
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Eoghan Bradley got a point on Sat - a cheeky dink - he was going for goal - but he was knee up in the defenders back Oz style and got away with it.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Eoghan Bradley got a point on Sat - a cheeky dink - he was going for goal - but he was knee up in the defenders back Oz style and got away with it.

I seen that as well. Would love to hear how Bright-Oak defends that? 10/1 on its Dick Clerkin's fault?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I seen that as well. Would love to hear how Bright-Oak defends that? 10/1 on its Dick Clerkin's fault?

Aye - he made a back for him ... Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Did anybody see the point that Conlon got for Clare. It was wide but was given, the umpires were lucky Galway were well ahead.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next