GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Premier League

+23
hurlingguru
mugsys_barber
Real Kerry Fan
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
samin12
Larry Murphy
3inarow08
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
JimWexford
bald eagle
hipster 2
bocerty
Boxtyeater
SamiPremier08
Jayo Cluxton
OMAR
patrique
Grenvile
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
27 posters

Page 29 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Premier League - Page 29 Empty Re: The Premier League

Post  Grenvile Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Carroll and Downing have been total failures so far, Henderson does better in the centre but is still having no impact. Adam has his good patches but not a top 4 midfielder. Enrique and Bellamy have been their two best acquisitions, both have been very good so far..

In fairness to Daglish and Comoli they have had a job on their hands getting rid of the (highly paid) dross already at Liverpool, Poulsen, Jovanovic, Cole, Degen etc.. But they should have been replacing those with players like Mata, not Downing..

The whole racism thing is confusing, is it just me or did they find Suarez guilty based solely on Evra's testimony??

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:JS and Puke, you both watch a lot more soccer than I do, but strange to hear you say that Liverpool need a 'poacher'. Pipo Inzaghi aside, I thought such players became extinct at the top level years ago.

Who are these '6 yard box poachers' that Liverpool should have been signing?

Javier Hernandez... Very Happy

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Would class Michael Owen as a poacher too.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Parouisa wrote:Would class Michael Owen as a poacher too.

Which is why I said I said extinct. When did he last score a goal of any importance? He is a high profile victim of the change in emphasis in attack (and, admittedly, his own loss of pace).

Hernandez is a better shout, but isn't a first team regular at United, and is generally more effective when the game is looser. You don't see many sides with an Aldridge, Batistuta or Lineker anymore - hardly any, in fact. Instead you have Drogba, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Persie and the likes as the star strikers. Totally different type of centre forward.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Just pointing out that Owen is the last one I remember. Alan Clarke (Sniffer) among the best I remember - Greaves just before my time but rated poss the best. in modern times Van Nistelroy was right up there.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Parouisa wrote:Just pointing out that Owen is the last one I remember. Alan Clarke (Sniffer) among the best I remember - Greaves just before my time but rated poss the best. in modern times Van Nistelroy was right up there.

Oh I know, and totally agree. With the odd debatable exception, they don't exist. The main reasons for which are:

1) Superior fitness, analysis (tactical awareness) and quality of pitches all lead to better organised defences making fewer mistakes - nothing for the poacher to capitalise on;

2) More defensive formations have resulted in forwards being isolated and having to work harder - rarely an attribute of the poacher.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Lack of wing play too - not as many crosses from the byline so not as many skirmishes in 6 yard box.

Come to think of it time too was when every second striker was an Andy Carroll type (Latchford, Big Mal, Andy Gray, Toshack etc) but lack of wing men has put paid to this too!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:JS and Puke, you both watch a lot more soccer than I do, but strange to hear you say that Liverpool need a 'poacher'. Pipo Inzaghi aside, I thought such players became extinct at the top level years ago.

Who are these '6 yard box poachers' that Liverpool should have been signing?

I never said they needed a poacher, I simply pointed out that Bent isn't one. I said that Liverpool are badly missing a bit of creativity and guile

There are still plenty of lads who are penalty box strikers and are very good at getting on the end of things without adding much else to a side, maybe not out an out poachers in the mold of Inzaghi but the likes of Javier Herndandez, Mario Gomez, Antonio De Natale, Pazzini to name but a few off hand who are prolific goalscorers in their domestic leagues at the moment despite not being particularly "self sufficient" footballers in terms of creating chances for themselves but are adept at getting on the end of chances in the box.

I think poacher is the wrong word for what JC, is on about but Liverpool need a penalty box striker in the mold of a Ruud Van Nistelrooy or Christian Vieri of recent times- although there ain't too many of that standard around, and if they were they wouldn't be too pushed about moving to Liverpool
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 pm

The Premier League (The Murdoch Funded) thingy is fooked...
Once you must engage/pay slaves, at whatever remuneration, to carry your load, then you're fooked....

Thomas Jefferson (1796 possibly, or Boxty 2012)

Jokers..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The Premier League (The Murdoch Funded) thingy is fooked...
Once you must engage/pay slaves, at whatever remuneration, to carry your load, then you're fooked....

Thomas Jefferson (1796 possibly, or Boxty 2012)

Jokers..

I am an avid football fan and am living in Blighty 15 months and there is a Premier League club situated less than a 15 minute walk from my homestead and I can get free tickets from work. I have been to zero games and I plan on never attending. A load of over hyped hoofball and the bubble will soon burst and I will be fooked if I ever have to go.

God bless Barcelona and Serie A, football for the purists
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:48 pm

The Puke wrote:God bless Barcelona and Serie A, football for the purists

A post riddled with contradictions..The Puke is an hurling fan out and out...He watches too many episodes of Dad's Army.His "homestead" is, doubtless some rent-controlled kip,...An "In the light of day" observation, knowing "The Puke" of old, indicates some unfullfilled ambitions...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 am

I see Utd and Rooney have issued a joint statement denying his imminent departure. SAF, Roo and the gang will have to stop reading GG .... Sorry JS - soothsaying getting out of hand here .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 am

Parouisa wrote:I see Utd and Rooney have issued a joint statement denying his imminent departure. SAF, Roo and the gang will have to stop reading GG .... Sorry JS - soothsaying getting out of hand here .....

You said it in 2010 didn't happen, 2011, didn't happen, 3rd time lucky?? If were were customers we'd be asking for our fooking silver back...

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 am

Yer not customers - so fook off! Smile

I see the Pool are implicated in another racist incident tonight ... nothing like the media to make a molehill into a mountain ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 am

ps JS - every player that every crossed SAF was sold ... before WR. This is at least the third time ... if he stays SAF is seriously undermined ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:53 am

Parouisa wrote:Yer not customers - so fook off! Smile

I see the Pool are implicated in another racist incident tonight ... nothing like the media to make a molehill into a mountain ....

Yes I was watching the game as it developed. It appears that a racist remark may have been made towards an Oldham player. He did take it very badly and seemed upset. Gerard and Co were all over comforting the lad. Terrible if true and unfortunate after Suarez incident. Liverpool will be tagged with this bad rep over the actions of a few idiots..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:09 am

Jonsmith wrote:Liverpool will be tagged with this bad rep over the actions of a few idiots..

Thank godness for the moral guardians that are MUFC fans .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:40 am

[quote="JonsmithLiverpool will be tagged with this bad rep over the actions of a few idiots..[/quote]

Probably will be mitigated by their success's in that Eurpoeaqn Cup thingy.......

Throw up ye're European Cup Winners medas there...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:55 am

Parouisa wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:Liverpool will be tagged with this bad rep over the actions of a few idiots..

Thank godness for the moral guardians that are MUFC fans .....

scratch

'Tis possible to have a discussion without referring to MUFC.. Shocking as that may seem to some. affraid

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:39 am

The joint statement has the tone desperation and structure of a"Vote of confidence" or a "No bail out here" or "no tax increases" statement.

The portents are ominous

Lampard + Torres + 25m for Rooney - You heard it here first

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Real bad week for Liverpool FC. Last night's incident comes in a week when the manager and players and club stood by a player who admitted racist comments. Hardly surprising some moron of a fan behaves in a racist manner then. Dalglish wore Suarez shirt last night. Liverpool used to be a club with real values. In recent years they like to portray themselves as victims - when they are clearly not. They have played this one ALL wrong. Shame.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:43 pm

You Sir and your ilk/acoloytes could smoke this clip out to it's end......

Anyone who want's to come back with bullsh1t "facts" please do...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/jul/31/sport.comment

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Scholes comes back until the end of the season. Shouldn't have came to that for United but his return gives them some class in midfield even if he only has the legs for a cameo.

Great header by Rooney puts them 1 up, Kompany's red looked harsh but he was asking for trouble going in with 2 feet.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Scholes back and Giggs playing - total of 75 years. Says a lot about the current state of United tbh. Ref destroyed the game with the red card. Rooney showed his class by urging a red and Welbeck too looking for a card after getting his peno. Hate that crap - I thought refs were supposed to card players looking to get others booked? What happened to that rule??? Don't think City will be too perturbed with losing - and Kompany should not get 4 match ban - but probably will. All eyes on Premiership now and today's 2nd half will have done a lot for their belief.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 39 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next