GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cavan GG News

+33
Podger
Parouisa
gaamad1996
Royal_Girl2k9
3inarow08
beer baron
drungrebel
Thomas Clarke
gsmithy
OMAR
GAAGenious
GAA-Fan
Armaghgeddon
bocerty
johnnos bulls
Loyal2TheRoyal
mugsys_barber
Sawyer
scoopmine
KerryKatriona
RMDrive
clash-of-da-ash
JimWexford
mossbags
Grenvile
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
mullins
SamiPremier08
bald eagle
mid-mon man
Dougal
Jayo Cluxton
37 posters

Page 17 of 24 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20 ... 24  Next

Go down

Cavan GG News - Page 17 Empty Re: Cavan GG News

Post  scoopmine Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 am

Rumour is that he is using the girlfriends address in Cavan. Course there is a woman involved!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Niall McDermott - Eugene Keating - Ray Galligan

Now can anybody tell me which of that three you'd drop for Johnston.

Cavan don't need him. Let him go to Kildare.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:26 pm

I see McGeeney has commented on the issue and publicly thrown down the challenge to Johnston to come and earn his place on the team..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Add Jack Brady to the list.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Well it looks like Seanie will be joining St. Kevin's in Kildare and leaving Cavan Gaels (although their official line is that they have signed no transfer papers yet)

It's sad that it has come to this. Johnston should have been the man at the forefront of a new age of Cavan players not happy with being the whipping boys in Ulster. He should be continuing the struggle with Cavan Gaels to conquer Ulster as our County Championship introduces amalgamations and makes things more competitive. But it appears that's not the type of player, or person, that he is.
If Johnston goes and becomes a success at Kildare and Cavan remain in the doldrums then the backlash against Val Andrews and the County Board will rumble on for years.. I don't know if I could bring myself to wish him good luck but he gave us some great displays and I'd wish him no ill in his choice. We'll be watching with interest.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 pm

It is a pity it has come to this. In fairness to Andrews I believe it had to come to this. I have discussed it at length with alot of people back home and college. Perhaps Andrews was hoping it would shock jelly into the form of two years ago. But him moving from the Gaels is actually a bigger blow to the Gaels than Cavan he is a serious role model there.

I will not wish any badness towards him being at games where he was at his best left me wondering how he kicked some of the scores he did. Maybe Kildare will bring out the best in him. Without him in Cavan I am hoping a harding working team ethic along with a better attitude will lead to an upturn in our performances. I have seen glipses of it against Donegal.

I am hoping the matter will come to an end soon because it is just dragging on!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Jonsmith wrote: I don't know if I could bring myself to wish him good luck

You'd be a quare fool if you wished him luck - that sort of behaviour is not what the GAA is about. You play for the county you are supposed to play for, not the one you think you can win something with. And I'll stop short of opining whether or not that is the only sort of silverwear that has turned him.

And as for McGeeney, is there no depth he won't stoop to? Disgraceful.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
I didn't see Philly's tweet, but that doesn't surprise me. Jordan was never in the game to line his pockets. Wasn't a member of the GPA, and gave his grant to the club.

Only seeing this now, fair play to Philly for giving his grant to the club, i wasn't aware of that. Have meet him a few times and he's a cracking fella for a Tyrone man!

Should a new thread be created for the Seanie Johnston with the relevant posts from this one transfered over? Reason i ask is that i didn't even think of looking in this thread and thought that no one on here was talking about it! Relevant threads for relevant topics i say, now discussing a 2012 story on a 2010 thread, if i wasn't going to look in this thread then why would a new member think of doing so?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:09 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
I didn't see Philly's tweet, but that doesn't surprise me. Jordan was never in the game to line his pockets. Wasn't a member of the GPA, and gave his grant to the club.

Only seeing this now, fair play to Philly for giving his grant to the club, i wasn't aware of that. Have meet him a few times and he's a cracking fella for a Tyrone man!

Should a new thread be created for the Seanie Johnston with the relevant posts from this one transfered over? Reason i ask is that i didn't even think of looking in this thread and thought that no one on here was talking about it! Relevant threads for relevant topics i say, now discussing a 2012 story on a 2010 thread, if i wasn't going to look in this thread then why would a new member think of doing so?

The Johnston saga probably deserves a thread to itself. This thread could be renamed Cavan GG News?

Halftime in the Hastings Cup Final against Longford Cavan lead 2-4 to 1-5. Jack Brady with 1-2 in the first half.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Longford got a goal in the closing minutes to go a point ahead but Shannon Gaels Man Nevin O'Donnell got a score right at the death to force extra time. Cavan now up by 2 after the first 10 minute period.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Longford got a goal in the closing minutes to go a point ahead but Shannon Gaels Man Nevin O'Donnell got a score right at the death to force extra time. Cavan now up by 2 after the first 10 minute period.

How did this go in the end?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Cavan won by 5 in the end. Good start to the year!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 pm

James Reilly
Damien Barkey, Sean McCormack, Ronan Flanagan,
Dane O'Dowd, Padraic O'Reilly, Barry Waters,
David Givney, Gearoid McKiernan,
Niall Smith, Niall McDermott, Stephen Jordan,
Brendan Fitzpatrick, Eugene Keating, Raymond Galligan.

Cavan team for tomorrow. With Brosnan deadly from frees we can't give away too many inside the 45. Big ask for Cavan first game but they have done a lot of preparation for this game and the league is the main focus for the year. The lads are hugely motivated for this one, I think they have it in them to get a win. Provided they don't concede 2/3 goals.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Anyone want to give me a lift from carlow to it would be awful sound!
The thesis can wait!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Surprised Minagh hasn't made the starting line-up but Barkey is a player I'd have high hopes for. Ronan Flanagan at corner-back is an interesting move. Good to see Bud in the FF line - was wondering what had happened him. Really stood out two years ago for the u21s. No sign of Cullivan, Brady or McCutcheon? I fancy Cavan to get a win. Meath played Wexford in the O'Byrne Cup and they were very ordinary.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Surprised Minagh hasn't made the starting line-up but Barkey is a player I'd have high hopes for. Ronan Flanagan at corner-back is an interesting move. Good to see Bud in the FF line - was wondering what had happened him. Really stood out two years ago for the u21s. No sign of Cullivan, Brady or McCutcheon? I fancy Cavan to get a win. Meath played Wexford in the O'Byrne Cup and they were very ordinary.

I think Minagh might be carrying an injury. Flanagan is a surprising choice at corner back. It would seem more likely that he'll swap with Waters but that could be a waste. Waters was fantastic operating further out in the McKenna Cup. Do you mean Jack Brady? I'd love to see him available but no U21's will be included until after their campaign.

Bud hasn't made any impact since that U21 campaign but the management are sticking with him, he has the pace and movement to be a decent corner forward and he plays consistently well for Belturbet. If he's not doing the business tomorrow I hope Martin Dunne gets a run. He's only played 1 half of football for Cavan in which he scored 5 points. The Gaels lads will tell you he's the ideal replacement for Jelly...

Tomorrow should give us a good indication of how we're coming on. All the conditioning in the world isn't any good if they can't control the scoreboard.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Surprised Minagh hasn't made the starting line-up but Barkey is a player I'd have high hopes for. Ronan Flanagan at corner-back is an interesting move. Good to see Bud in the FF line - was wondering what had happened him. Really stood out two years ago for the u21s. No sign of Cullivan, Brady or McCutcheon? I fancy Cavan to get a win. Meath played Wexford in the O'Byrne Cup and they were very ordinary.

I think Minagh might be carrying an injury. Flanagan is a surprising choice at corner back. It would seem more likely that he'll swap with Waters but that could be a waste. Waters was fantastic operating further out in the McKenna Cup. Do you mean Jack Brady? I'd love to see him available but no U21's will be included until after their campaign.

Bud hasn't made any impact since that U21 campaign but the management are sticking with him, he has the pace and movement to be a decent corner forward and he plays consistently well for Belturbet. If he's not doing the business tomorrow I hope Martin Dunne gets a run. He's only played 1 half of football for Cavan in which he scored 5 points. The Gaels lads will tell you he's the ideal replacement for Jelly...

Tomorrow should give us a good indication of how we're coming on. All the conditioning in the world isn't any good if they can't control the scoreboard.

Cavan wrap up their u21s in cotton wool. Meath had one starter tonight and brought on another a sub. Brady has promise. When he does get a run of games with the seniors, it'll be good to see how he gets on. Speaking of Dunne, what happened to Lorcan Dunne, the man who was tipped to solve Cavan's full-back problems? The centre of your defence looks suspect JS too, I would not be familiar with either man.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 pm

I don't know of a Lorcan Dunne.. If you're talking about Rory Dunne the Redhills man that marked Murphy in the 2010 U21 Ulster Final well he had a bad injury (cruciate I think) and the last time I saw him play was getting roasted at midfield by a lad from my Junior Club's reserve team..
I agree with holding the U21s for their campaign, Brady is already overloaded with football. He still has another year or two after this with the U21s.

The defence is very weak no two ways about it. Podge Reilly is the captain at Centre back. Began last year at midfield and then got injured at the start of the league, he won't leave you wanting for effort but he's rarely played very well for Cavan and at best he's a solid enough workhorse. McEnroe looked a better prospect in there last year. Sean McCormack I don't know much about, Ballyhaise man I think, a case of having nobody decent for the position so picking a new guy with no baggage and giving him a run of games at full back.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:19 am

Sorry Rory Dunne I meant, don't know where I got Lorcan from. He had lots of potential, pity he got injured. Jimmy Mac Enroe was good last year - I would have him on my first fifteen.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm

3 goals conceded in the first 25 minutes.. pale

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:27 pm

4 goals conceded.. Woeful defence. Completely hammered at midfield too I hear. Good spread of scores up front. Have to win the next game or it's a relegation fight.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Mention of June 25 2011 brings back painful memories for Cavan football supporters.
That was the afternoon that saw Longford roll into town and consign the hosts to one of the most crushing defeats in recent championship history.
The only comparable loss could have been the replay against Tyrone in 2005, a day of high fives and backheels as the Red Hands put on an exhibition in Clones, but at least the opposition were the best side in the country. With all due respect to a seasoned, fit and focused Longford, they were a Division 4 side and yet were able to turn Cavan over in Breffni Park, weathering an early storm before running away with the tie late on.
In the second half, they simply tore us apart and the manner and margin of the loss were embarrassing and alarming.
But, time is a great healer. Cavan have as much training in the bank now as they had in high summer last year and the players and management deserve enormous credit for this. If there's any justice (and in sport, the cliché that you only get out what you put in usually rings true), then this young Cavan team will get their reward.
Because fitness is not an issue. Neither is heart or attitude, the ability to win primary possession around the middle or convert chances up front. What is a problem is a defence which has been leaking like a sieve.
Yes, we have a rookie full-back who has found the step up from Intermediate club football challenging, but the presence of Phil The Gunner or Gabriel Kelly minding the square wouldn't have stopped Wexford from creating the chances they did last week. The full-back is not to blame; the goalkeeper, a two-time All Star nominee who made a rare blunder for a goal last Sunday, isn't either. The fault lies with the the system, or at least Cavan's application of it. And systems can be tweaked.
The problem is a collective one, as Anthony Forde pointed out in his column in The Anglo-Celt last week.
"I don't know what it is about the system Cavan are trying to deploy, they're obviously trying a zonal system but while men are dropping back into space, they're not picking anybody up," wrote Forde.
"That was evident in the goals we conceded. Eric Bradley, who caused us trouble all day long, started the move in midfield for the last goal and when the centre-back came forward, two or three defenders went to him - there was no communication, and by this stage Bradley was totally unmarked around the back. He was one on one with James Reilly and he buried it.
"That was the pattern of almost the whole game. We were moving back and moving back into a zonal defence and allowing them to come on to us. At times the defenders did well dispossessing them and turning it over when Wexford were coming through but it's hard to do that every time."
Val Andrews is a man of great integrity so when he says that the National League is the priority, you tend to believe it. We're only one-seventh of the way through it but we're behind in our mission and if that ground isn't made up tonight, we're in massive trouble.
Sure as night follows day, there will be calls for the head of the manager and the season will unravel as young players lose confidence. It's a situation that must be avoided; that's how important this match is.
It's worth noting that Cavan's home record in the National League in recent seasons has been excellent. For all the criticism the team have received, this cannot be faulted. We haven't lost a league match in Kingspan Breffni Park since Tipp came calling in 2009 and in the period since, we've picked up wins over the likes of Offaly, Wexford, Roscommon, Tipp, Waterford, Louth, Fermanagh and Limerick.
Our downfall has come on the road, where we haven't won since February 2010 when we beat Roscommon in Hyde Park. This year, we have four home matches and if the trend of winning them continues - and McKenna Cup form suggests it might - then we'll push for promotion. Lose the first of them this evening to Longford, however, and we're in a scrap for survival.
It's stating the obvious but if we get the match-ups in defence right, which we didn't do last time against Longford, and if we can keep the figure in the "goals conceded" column to either 1 or 0, we can win this one. In Sean McCormack, Longford have one of the most reliable free-takers in the game and a player who could easily kick 0-10 or more, so the concession of frees must be kept to a minimum.
Simple things, yes, but important ones. Are we a couple of tweaks from a good team or no better than the one that fell to our neighbours last June?
Tonight will tell a tale and reveal all. Cavan to rise to the challenge and get their season back on track with a two-three point win.

Good piece by Paul Fitzpatrick. Very good journalist with the Celt. Saturday's game is vital both for league survival and for the confidence of the players.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Good piece. The pain leaks out from the page.
Keep the heads up Cavan.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Cavan not too good in the second half tonight. Goal concession count considerably reduced but end result still the same. Back to the gym I think.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Another loss.Two points scored in the second half. Lost most of the breaks in the second half. A very young team. Work rate and effort not in question which are two things I looked forward to. If we had to convert a goal chance very early would have helped matters we seem to have a problem scoring goals now.

I will take the positives as we have tried the older lads with bad attitudes. However I have no problem taking in the lads who have trained hard and can lead and help the young lads. The Seanie issue is done he's gone and I say let him go his own choice. But I am reminded of the old Simpsons Chief Wiggim line.
"This is going to get worse before it gets better"
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down