GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags

+15
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
scoopmine
3inarow08
SamiPremier08
Boxtyeater
johnnos bulls
clash-of-da-ash
mossbags
lino_de_legend
oisinboy
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags Empty The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags

Post  RMDrive Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Can this young lad put an average Galway team on his back and bring them some success?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags Empty Re: The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:29 pm

If there wasn't such an awesome bunch knocking around from Kilkenny it might be possible. Not at the moment with the Cats as they are.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags Empty Re: The Joe Canning thread for Mossbags

Post  oisinboy Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:13 am

Everyone is putting to much pressure on this you lad. You would think he is the second coming of Christ
oisinboy
oisinboy
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

In a bank vault in Belfast
Number of posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 pm

oisinboy wrote:Everyone is putting to much pressure on this you lad. You would think he is the second coming of Christ

Good point Oisin - mmmm and they have the same initials!! I hope Kilkenny don't crucify him later in the year!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  lino_de_legend Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:45 pm

i love lil joe, he's my fav !!! lookmwhat happens when ya take joe out of the galway team, they end up losing to the dubs by 12!!

king
lino_de_legend
lino_de_legend
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post  oisinboy Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

That just renforces what I said he has the whole expectations of Galway on his sholders
oisinboy
oisinboy
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

In a bank vault in Belfast
Number of posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:17 pm

proper afro
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am

Lets hope that like Joe Cooney in the 80's he can help us win an All Ireland.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:30 pm

He tore Ballyhale to shreds the last day. The only thing that can prevent him becoming one of the all time greats would be his Celtic Cross count because of his native county's issues with Liam Mcarthy
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Anyone see this lad in the final there on Paddys day. Only scored once from play and didn't look interested at all really did he. Should have been taken off after 10 minutes if you ask me. No fluency with the hurl or touch with the sliotar. Way way over-ratd.
Be surprised if he gets a starting slot with Galway after this. Razz
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:36 pm

mossbags wrote:Anyone see this lad in the final there on Paddys day. Only scored once from play and didn't look interested at all really did he. Should have been taken off after 10 minutes if you ask me. No fluency with the hurl or touch with the sliotar. Way way over-ratd.
Be surprised if he gets a starting slot with Galway after this. Razz

yeah then he mishits a flick and it ends up straight in Hayes' hands and the back of the net! Jammy git! Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Can I ask where are Ger Farragher and Eugene Cloonan now, mossbags?

2008 Fitzgibbon final: A player who is a sub (can't remember his name) on the Kilkenny name recieved MOTM for his performance whilst marking Joe Canning.

2008 Under 21 Semi-Final: Paddy Hogan, another sub on the Kilkenny team, literally marked Canning out of the game.

2009 Club final: One point from play from supposedly the greatest player of all time?

More proof that he is over-rated. I'm going to wait and see how he copes against Walsh, Hickey and Delaney as opposed to one or two club hurlers before I compare to the Christy Rings and Nicky Rackards of this world. I'm happy to assume that Joe is a rare talent but the way people have got carried away is nothing short of unbelievable. You are entitled to worship whoever you like, mossbags, but I live in the real world. I could name five hurlers in the country today who are equally as good as Joe. Having said that, he is still only 20 and we are probably still to see the best of him. But HE IS OVER_RATED, THAT IS A FACT! In saying that, I would still regard him as a great hurler even at this stage of his career.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Also another point I've meaning to raise is Canning's AllStar last year. He basically recieved it after one perfromance. Alright the performance was very good but even so, he did not deserve that award ahead of John Mullane. In fact, I would even go as far as to say it was a bit of a disgrace that he got over Mullane.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Ger Farragher is still on the Galway team, he has been the free taker during Joe Canning's absense.

I would say that the All Stars are designed to pick the best hurlers in the country. You must ask the question would you have John Mullane or Joe Canning in your team?ie. who is the better hurler?
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Loyal Greham Geraghty is finished.
Get over it man
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Ger Farragher is still on the Galway team, he has been the free taker during Joe Canning's absense.

I would say that the All Stars are designed to pick the best hurlers in the country. You must ask the question would you have John Mullane or Joe Canning in your team?ie. who is the better hurler?

Canning is the better full-forward but he lacks the electric pace that Mullane possesses. Mullane can knock over points for fun and obviously so can Joe. There is not a lot between them but then again, Joe has achieved as much as John even at his young age. But if it were to me, I would have given it to Mullane. It is one of the only times I know of when an AllStar was given out for one single performance. I'm sure in any case, Canning looks set to go on and win more AllStars but last year, Mullane should have got it ahead of him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm

mossbags wrote:Loyal Greham Geraghty is finished.
Get over it man

Hidden in this message is mossbags's throwing in of the white flag. He knows I have not said anything that is incorrect and he knows he cannot win this debate. So he resorts to something completely irrelevant probably in the hope that I will let his silly comments pass.

Mossbags, what part of my messages, re, Joe Canning, do you not agree with?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Come on mossbags.........Don't leave us now.

At least have the good grace to admit I was right and you were/are wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 am

I find that sometimes All Star teams are full of free takers , ie usually the players who finish high on the scoring charts. I mean who would take the frees in a team with Henry Sheflin, Ben O'Connor, Eoin Kelly and Joe Canning?
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Come on mossbags.........Don't leave us now.

Not even gonna dignify this Sleep
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:32 pm

mossbags wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Come on mossbags.........Don't leave us now.

Not even gonna dignify this Sleep

Pity you didn't say that to yourself instead of trying to be the wise guy yesterday.

Loyal2TheRoyal 1 mossbags 0

Hard luck my Galway friend.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:27 am

1-8 out of Galways 1-14 against Limerick was scored by Joe Canning.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am

clash-of-da-ash wrote:1-8 out of Galways 1-14 against Limerick was scored by Joe Canning.

Indeed. He was quiet though. Mainly frees. I feel sorry for the lad. The expectation on his shoulders is massive.
What a terrific sideline cut in the first half though. Outside the 45 too. Magic
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:09 pm

johnnos bulls wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:1-8 out of Galways 1-14 against Limerick was scored by Joe Canning.

Indeed. He was quiet though. Mainly frees. I feel sorry for the lad. The expectation on his shoulders is massive.
What a terrific sideline cut in the first half though. Outside the 45 too. Magic

Anyone watching there yesterday would be leaning towards a certain Meath posters assessement of this player. I was at the match and JC was by his standards very quiet. He still managed 1-8 and 1-1 from play which isn't bad for an off day. In fairness Stephen Lucey did a decent job on him and word on the terraces was that Canning would be no where near his best after a week of fun down in Portumna.

The fact that he was the only Portumna lad playing other than Eugene McEntee(who's trying to nail down a place on the county side) is a measure of the lads commitement. Wonder how many other club players would be fit to return to county action within 5 days after winning two all-Irelands in a row.
Another measure of Cannings undoubted brilliance was the final two winning scores of the match. With Limerick drawing level and the game in the frying pan with less then 5 minutes to play, Galway win a free 40 yards out by the sideline and into a strong wind to boot. Up steps Canning and pops it over the bar cool as you like, no problem at all. He then goes and the same thing a couple of minutes later from inside his own half, Game over.
Pure class.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:49 pm

[quote="mossbags"]
johnnos bulls wrote:

Anyone watching there yesterday would be leaning towards a certain Meath posters assessement of this player. quote]

Not the case...His awareness and vision are outstanding and was involved in other scores. Considering K.Hayes didn't start for obvious reasons I think joe has to be credited for plaing yesterday. Mossbags coming from leitrim I wouldn't be a massive hurling man but pearse Stadium's surface doesn't seem that suited to hurling. Players had a lot of difficulty with picking it up and judging the run of the ball?
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next