GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Not Well in Donegal?

+7
Loyal2TheRoyal
Grenvile
Boxtyeater
RMDrive
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

All Not Well in Donegal? - Page 2 Empty Re: All Not Well in Donegal?

Post  RMDrive Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 am

OMAR wrote:Rumours of some hard yards on dunfanaghy dunes ( versus last year being guests of honour at club gaa dances)
Complete reversal in strength of squad for McKenna cup versus last year
Looking like all key men fit 
Some interesting blooding in from minors and glenswilly non county men.

There is one more wag in this dog's tail

Players apparently much happier with the training setup this year as well. Some stuff had slipped back last year.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 am

RMDrive wrote:
OMAR wrote:Rumours of some hard yards on dunfanaghy dunes ( versus last year being guests of honour at club gaa dances)

Players apparently much happier with the training setup this year as well. Some stuff had slipped back last year.

Given what happened last year, we won't know how good Donegal are until, to use boxing parlance, they are hit on the chin. I foresee a good start to the year, most likely including promotion to division 1, and lots of positive vibes coming from the camp. They may even look the part in a relatively average Ulster Championship.

However, that will tell us nothing as to how they will go in July/August. Questions regarding appetite, depth, midfield weaknesses and the mental scars of a disasterous 2013 will only be posed at that stage. Ironically, given what they have achieved, I'd say that there are more uncertainties surrounding Donegal than any of the other Big 6 teams.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:59 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:

Given what happened last year, we won't know how good Donegal are until, to use boxing parlance, they are hit on the chin.  I foresee a good start to the year, most likely including promotion to division 1, and lots of positive vibes coming from the camp.  They may even look the part in a relatively average Ulster Championship.

However, that will tell us nothing as to how they will go in July/August.  Questions regarding appetite, depth, midfield weaknesses and the mental scars of a disasterous 2013 will only be posed at that stage.  Ironically, given what they have achieved, I'd say that there are more uncertainties surrounding Donegal than any of the other Big 6 teams.

More so than Cork or your own side Tyrone? it going to take a hell of effort to get Donegal back to the level they were in 2011,2012 they have the advantage of very good manager however they haven't got the tradition of Kerry,Dublin and i'd wonder how do you motivate a side that may have already achieved what they set out to do?

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:10 am

Gaa_lover wrote:
More so than Cork or your own side Tyrone?

Yes.  By 'uncertainties', I mean just that.  

I know what I will see from Tyrone and Cork - they will both be top 5-6 sides, but are both likely to find the Dubs (or someone else) too good.

Donegal could be the best (as they were in 2012), or they could be outside the top 10 (as they probably were in 2013).  I just don't know what we will see from them, given the way last year played out.  If they can win the AI again, it will be an even greater achievement than 2012.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:53 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:

I know what I will see from Tyrone and Cork - they will both be top 5-6 sides, but are both likely to find the Dubs (or someone else) too good.

Donegal could be the best (as they were in 2012), or they could be outside the top 10 (as they probably were in 2013).  I just don't know what we will see from them, given the way last year played out.  If they can win the AI again, it will be an even greater achievement than 2012.

Tyrone stumbled the semi final with a number of narrow wins if they were beaten in any of those games its unlikely they would be rated as highly and remember it was Donegal that bet you in Ulster.
Cork are in transition now and its uncertain what this new manager can do for them.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 am

Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:

Tyrone stumbled the semi final with a number of narrow wins if they were beaten in any of those games its unlikely they would be rated as highly and remember it was Donegal that bet you in Ulster.
Cork are in transition now and its uncertain what this new manager can do for them.

Both Tyrone and Cork ended the season with reasons for optimism. They both introduced a lot of new players, both retained their division 1 status, and both finished with reasonable showings against the AI finalists. I'd be surprised if either of them won the AI though, having said that, I'd be surprised by any side who wins it not called Dublin.

In their 3rd year under Jimmy, Donegal looked mentally and physically finished last summer, with only the game against Tyrone approaching the very high standards that they set in 2013. Relegated in the league, they were well beaten in Ulster by a very average Monaghan side, and the defeat to Mayo was the lamest championship exit that I can ever recall from defending AI champions. Despite the relative youth of the side, I felt that a few key players (e.g. midfielders and McFadden) were pale shadows of what they had been the previous couple of years. Now, they have plenty of talent and an outstanding manager but, given the alarming downward trajectory of the last 12 months, I think that their 'ranking' is more debatable than any of those others. Again, they could win the AI, but a July exit wouldn't be a big shock either. It all depends on McGuinness' ability to turn them around.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:

Both Tyrone and Cork ended the season with reasons for optimism.  They both introduced a lot of new players, both retained their division 1 status, and both finished with reasonable showings against the AI finalists.  I'd be surprised if either of them won the AI though, having said that, I'd be surprised by any side who wins it not called Dublin.

In their 3rd year under Jimmy, Donegal looked mentally and physically finished last summer, with only the game against Tyrone approaching the very high standards that they set in 2013.  Relegated in the league, they were well beaten in Ulster by a very average Monaghan side, and the defeat to Mayo was the lamest championship exit that I can ever recall from defending AI champions.  Despite the relative youth of the side, I felt that a few key players (e.g. midfielders and McFadden) were pale shadows of what they had been the previous couple of years.  Now, they have plenty of talent and an outstanding manager but, given the alarming downward trajectory of the last 12 months, I think that their 'ranking' is more debatable than any of those others.  Again, they could win the AI, but a July exit wouldn't be a big shock either.  It all depends on McGuinness' ability to turn them around.

Fair points however last summer Donegal obviously celebrated too hard and didn't train hard enough. when McGuinness arrived Donegal were in div 2 and he used promotion as platform to have a good championship the same could happen this summer.

Defending AI Kerry were hammered by Meath in 2001 thats another lame exit i recall.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 am

All this "talk/discussion/relativity/management" stuff about Donegal is fairly irrelevant to 2014 in fairness.

The wheel has turned yet again, as it does. Kerry V Dublin was the contest of the year, full of flowing inventive football, with the odd hard tackle, given and taken without rancour. This game fulfilled all that the purists desired, epic performances from the best we can offer in terms of skill, accuracy and effort.

Kerry remain the team to aspire to, if not beat. The style never, if ever, changes. Gain possession, drive forward, open the space and score.

The likes of Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte and Joe Kernan have dragged the game to the brink of the abyss.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:18 am

Gaa_lover wrote:
Fair points however last summer Donegal obviously celebrated too hard and didn't train hard enough. when McGuinness arrived Donegal were in div 2 and he used promotion as platform to have a good championship the same could happen this summer.

Defending AI Kerry were hammered by Meath in 2001 thats another lame exit i recall.

As was Dublin in 1978 v Kerry, but both those games were competitive for a period - Donegal/Mayo wasn't. I don't believe that Donegal partied too hard at all. I felt that, if anything, they looked overcooked, after 3 very hard seasons under Jimmy. Donegal played more or less the same 15 for all 3 seasons, and they looked tired to me. In particular, Rory Kavanagh, Neil Gallagher and Colm McFadden, all key men in 2012, were well off the pace. If Donegal are to rebound in 2014, they will have to freshen up their side.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:04 am

Boxtyeater wrote:All this "talk/discussion/relativity/management" stuff about Donegal is fairly irrelevant to 2014 in fairness.

The wheel has turned yet again, as it does. Kerry V Dublin was the contest of the year, full of flowing inventive football, with the odd hard tackle, given and taken without rancour. This game fulfilled all that the purists desired, epic performances from the best we can offer in terms of skill, accuracy and effort.

Kerry remain the team to aspire to, if not beat. The style never, if ever, changes. Gain possession, drive forward, open the space and score.

The likes of Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte and Joe Kernan have dragged the game to the brink of the abyss.

thats a tad harsh Boxty - from my own Counties perspective 2003 wasnt pretty stuff at times but the ensuing years brought some of the best games of football ever witnessed at HQ, yes we have regressed and perhaps mixed some of the less pretty stuff into the mix again but i think thats a harsh statement
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:11 pm

I was hoping for a more hostile comeback Boc in fairness  Wink  Happy 2014 BTW.

Looking forward to clashing with all you Tyrone lads in Croke Park in August.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:I was hoping for a more hostile comeback Boc in fairness  Wink  Happy 2014 BTW.

was giving you a wide berth Boxty figuring you might have been slightly inebriated when you wrote it  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Happy 2014 to the Boxty clan too. Hard to know what 2014 will bring in terms of progress in Tyrone but certainly the young lads gave a good account of themselves on Sunday
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm

bocerty wrote:
was giving you a wide berth Boxty figuring you might have been slightly inebriated when you wrote it  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Where would an ould lad get money for drink on a Monday FFS. Wink 

More rows in Donegal I see. The fecking Co.CO. can't agree a budget between them. The Govt. to step in possibly. Exchequer monies are wasted on them belligerent so and sos'.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 am

Boxtyeater wrote:I was hoping for a more hostile comeback Boc in fairness  Wink  Happy 2014 BTW.

Has your moonlighting now extended to stewarding/security ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 pm

OMAR wrote:

Has your moonlighting now extended to stewarding/security ?

Unlikely OMAR. It's that feeling of unwarranted optimism that hits me in the early days of a new year. There's a stretch in the evenings, budding snowdrops and rumours of the notorious Beirne brothers "training on their own like dogs" in an effort to redeem last years "lapses".
Wayne Mac started last Sunday, Mossy was sprung make that air-lifted from the bench, Shane Moran is college tied.....The omens are looking good. No worries about retaining the FBD or league promotion at this stage, it's all about the Sheepstealers in the Hyde on May 18th.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Just to cheer up the Donegal lads, a reminder that no-one strikes a ball like Michael Murphy…

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:31 pm

He peaked last year for the Sigerson - hope  he hasn't gone too early this year.

All Murphys great games have been when there was an R in the month. Thankfully in 2012 we made it to September 
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 pm

"They haven't gone away you know"
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 am

Don't book an hotel just yet for late Sept. based on last Sunday cos' Laois are woeful. I had a great evening/night there last week at a funeral and the omens are not looking good.
Suffice to say they'd nearly welcome back McNulty. Although if talk/guff and bluster were any yardstick they have the capacity for the mythological 5 in-a-row....

The old demon has re-surfaced...All Not Well in Donegal? - Page 2 Food-s14  although Beano remains a great "character"....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:17 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Don't book an hotel just yet for late Sept. based on last Sunday cos' Laois are woeful. I had a great evening/night there last week at a funeral and the omens are not looking good.
Suffice to say they'd nearly welcome back McNulty. Although if talk/guff and bluster were any yardstick they have the capacity for the mythological 5 in-a-row....

The old demon has re-surfaced...All Not Well in Donegal? - Page 2 Food-s14  although Beano remains a great "character"....

I'm less worried about the Leix,s increasing appetite for the supp and more enthuiased by Tir chonnaill
Restraint, regardless of the yardstick the publicans have noticed a downturn and the early morning Gymgoers the opposite.

As an aside - Christy Toye has  avowed to make sure he is not st michaels  second most famous winner of a Celtic cross. Considering his clubman( Colm 
 Anthony)  was runner up for player of the year - there is only one target.

There can only be one.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 am

I think Donegal have fulfilled their potential.

Cannot afford to lose any of Durcan, Neil McGee and Gallagaher, Lacey, Colm Anthony or the man child.
We seen last year what happened when they were short one or two and players weren't fit.

The performance against Cork in the semi final that year was one of the most complete performances I had seen, up there with Crosses demolition of Garycastle in Breffni a few years ago. Everything went right. Colm Anthony couldn't miss. Big Neil was awesome. Leo McLoone was astonishing in the tackle. Frank McGlynn went up and pinged one on his left.

Black card will hurt them this year I feel.

Do you really think that a fit Christy Toye is what they were missing last year?
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 am

Thomas Clarke wrote: Given what happened last year, we won't know how good Donegal are until, to use boxing parlance, they are hit on the chin.  I foresee a good start to the year, most likely including promotion to division 1, and lots of positive vibes coming from the camp.  They may even look the part in a relatively average Ulster Championship.

However, that will tell us nothing as to how they will go in July/August.  Questions regarding appetite, depth, midfield weaknesses and the mental scars of a disasterous 2013 will only be posed at that stage.  Ironically, given what they have achieved, I'd say that there are more uncertainties surrounding Donegal than any of the other Big 6 teams.

A good start, and scoring 2-19 against anyone, even the dreadful Laois, is impressive.  Still, as opined above, this is to be expected, but the real questions will come later.  Murphy must stay healthy.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Reports that Mark McHugh and 2-3 fringe players have left the Donegal squad….
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Reports that Mark McHugh and 2-3 fringe players have left the Donegal squad….

I'd located the thread and was just browsing through it. Nobody saying anything of real substance yet.
Could Jim's tenure be coming to an end? Surely he'll be linked to some class of a position at Man Utd....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Reports that Mark McHugh and 2-3 fringe players have left the Donegal squad….

I'd located the thread and was just browsing through it. Nobody saying anything of real substance yet.
Could Jim's tenure be coming to an end? Surely he'll be linked to some class of a position at Man Utd....

RMD probably neck deep in peace talks as we speak. Omar obtaining finance for any sweeteners that may be needed. I'd expect the party line to be delivered by both in the coming hours.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next